Doulas

sakurako

Hi,

1) Is anyone using a doula or has used one?
2) Would you recommend expecting mothers to engage one?
3) When do we start engaging one?

Cheers.

hi bunny,

thanks for your response. What is the cost of engaging a doula? did you get the doula from parentlink?

Hi Sakura

Yes, my doula was from parentlink. I did water birth. You thinking of engaging one? It'll be helpful. It's good to have someone to guide you along. At least you know what's happening.

hi bunny,

is your gynae Dr Paul Tseng? I heard he is one of those few who does waterbirths.

Do we start engaging the doula upon knowing our pregnancy or at a later trimester?

Cheers.

hi sakura

yes, my gynae is Dr paul tseng. there are only 2 doctors that do waterbirth. are you going natural?

you don't need to engage the doula so early. book them at a later date. beginning of your 3rd trimester is fine. there are a couple of doulas available.

are you into your early pregnancy now? have you found yourself a gynae?

hi bunny,

thanks for your response.
To be honest, I am going through IVF procedures right now.I am doing some research on the different support I may need soon. Cost is quite a concern as i have spent quite abit on the procedures.

How does waterbirth help you?
Would you care to comment on your gynae Dr Paul Tseng?

Cheers.

hi sakura

it must be tough on u.

as for the doula, u will only need her during yr labour. cost is stated on parentlink website. i think it's $1,350. u need to know how to breathe in order to carry thru your contractions.

i went natural all the way. no injection, no drugs. just simple breathing techniques. it helps a lot. just stay VERY focus.

waterbirth is like an alternative medicine. it calms u down. it's like heat therapy. also, it has been said that baby born through water is calmer as it's a gradual transition for them from wtaerbag to watertub
happy.gif

Dr Paul Tseng is good. it's all depends on yr rapport with the doctor and what u want. if u're looking for natural pregnancy or birth, u can go to him. Otherwise, plse look for someone else.

he seldom do scan unless it's necessary. i can count the number of scans i did! since u're doing IVF, i think u will need scan for the initial stage.

he's knows quite a lot of stuff. if u have any questions, feel free to ask him. he'll explain to u. otherwise, your consultation will be only 5 mins. my hubby and I are very comfortable with him.

Hi bunny,

thanks for replying and explaining to me what pro-natural birth means.

Excuse me for my ignorance but i am concerned about my own physical health. I had back injuries before. There were a couple of times previously my spine was pressing on my nerves. I also had a hairline fracture on my tailbone about 3 years back. Now even before pregnancy I already feel backache often, so kind of worried how the weight of the foetus will affect my back.

thanks for recommendation on Dr Paul Tseng. What are his charges like if you don't mind to tell me?
Does he have a package?

By the way, did you deliver at Mt. Alvernia? Heard that its the only place with water birth facilities is it?

Thanks once again.
cheers.

take pilates. I took pilatees during my pregnancy. I can introduce u to my instructor. he's good & very attentive. In fact, he's a psysiotherapist cum instructor.

I'm sure the weigh of yr foetus will affect yr back. I hope pilates can help u.

Dr Paul does not have a package. His charges are not expensive. can't remember how much was the first consult but his sequence ones were $50. scan was $30.

yes, I delivered at Mt A. They are pro breastfeeding.

take pilates. i took pilates during my pregnancy. i can introduce u to my instructor. he's good and attentive. in fact, he's a psysiotherapist cum instructor. it's a one to one teaching.

dr paul does not have package. in fact, his charges are not expensive. i can't remember his first consult but his subsequent ones are $50 and scan $30.

yes, i deliver in Mt A. they are pro breastfeeding. beside Mt A, i think NUH also have. TMC has a tub but no idea if they allow waterbirth.

Hi bunny,

I will try to read up on Pilates at the moment.
Which month of your pregnancy did you start Pilates?
How much did you pay for one-to-one teaching?
Does the instructor come to the house to teach?

Cheers,

hi bunny

i started at 14 weeks. $100 per session at the studio. check out options studio. that's where i took my classes.

Hi Bunny,

I am interested in opting for waterbirth for my 2nd pregnancy as my first child is delivered via C-section.
I am planning to change my gynae to Dr Paul Tseng as he is pro-natural birth. But may I ask if Mt A has got the facilities to conduct a water birth?
Do we have to pay additional charges for renting the tub?

tocco, when is ur EDD? fyi, Mt A has banned water births. but one of their delivery rooms has a jacuzzi tub for u to labour in water. just that u can't give birth in it :p

not sure if have to pay additional charges for renting the tub, i think they will charge a nominal sum.

btw im gonna give birth to my 2nd bb soon, will be at Mt A with Dr Paul Tseng also. my first one was also a c-section. so far find him very reassuring and pro-natural as i wanted. no unnecessary VEs or interventions, even tho my bb is rather big...will share more after i pop.

hmmm...I am just into my 1st trimester only
happy.gif

I would prefer to deliver in the tub so I guess I'll have to count Mt A out...

Heard lots of good stuff about Dr Paul Tseng...my gynae scolded me when I asked him about water birth for my 1st bb...and he just wants to do things his way...so in the end, me and my hubby had to relent and let him have his way
sad.gif

tocco, you can consider dr chong yap seng at nuh. cos apart from 2 in private practice, dr lai and dr tseng, dr chong is the only 1 in govt hospital who is pro natural/ waterbirth.

tocco: if i were u, i will change my gynae. i will not letting anyone decide for me. it's yr bb and u have a say in it. Mt A has taken out their water birth. I was the last batch. No idea if they change their mind. try NUH, I think they have water birth. TMC? you have to do some research. just remember, if u want pro natural, u need a pro natural gynae.

not sure if TMC have this water birth.
But when i went for the hospital tour there, we were shown the delivery suite with a big bath tub.. there are 6 delivery suites but only 1 have the bath tub. charges to rent this bath tub is at additional $200 if i remembered correctly.
Was told that mommies can submerge in the tub during labour to help to relieve the pain.

at TMC, the tub is for mummies to rest during contractions, but once they can see baby's head, must come out of the water.

they won't let the baby be born in the water.

hello all,

i am a Dec09 MTB..tinking of engaging a doula..do u haf any good doulas to recommend?

thanks!

Hi Yunzz, I am working as a doula. I have PM you my email. You can feel free to email me if you have any question before you decide.

I didn't use a doula but I wish I had! Ginny from www.fourtrimesters.com was my hypnobirthing instructor. She's a doula as well and I would def use her if I was ever pregnant again. The only thing is she is really busy so you need to have a chat with her, see if she can accomodate your due date. In general, you'll have to meet with the doula before hand because the personal connection is very important. You're sharing one of the most intimate moments of your life with her and need to have trust in her skills.

Besides parentlink and fourtrimesters, there are a few other doulas around who are less established. Doesn't mean they aren't as good, just that they don't have the rapport with the local hospitals and doctors yet. For example, Ginny works very closely with Dr Lai. Trust and communication between the doc and your doula is a factor to consider as well. Ginny also provides post-natal consults for breastfeeding which I found extremely valuable.

There is one more doula who puts her namecare at the shopfront of www.loveforearth.com You can call them for her contact details.

To everyone who is considering using a doula, I would definitely recommend it. Why subject yourself entirely to the doctor's decisions when you can make your own, especially in this special moment of your life and your baby's life. Best wishes to all!

Hi mummies,
I'm doing my Doula course and for my certification I need to support two ladies thru their child birth. I'm a mum of two babies given birth naturally, first child without drugs so I know the experience of trying to go natural birth.

Would any mummies be willing to let me support you through your birth to achieve your perfect birth experience please PM me.. I will just have an angbao for my transport and helping you thru your perfect birth experience.i can be in the delivery room with your husband, so no worries about your husband not being able to attend your birth. Don't feel shy to approach me if you are a low income family. We can work something out :)

Hope to see your emails/PM soon.
Linda
More information about a doula and its benefits
http://transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/Doula/doulahome.htm

My email: [email protected]

Can I ask, what is ur role during the delivery with the gynae? and how does the gynae and a doula work or follow the birth plan? will there be a clash of wrk styles? like if doula is more pro natural and gynae is as well ut have hospital protocols to deal with? and end up interveving too much, what can a doula do then? esp in post term deliveries?

Back