Do hospital provide maternity insurance?

shirlenzo

Hi Mummies, my friends have said the hospitals would recommend them to buy maternity insurance that covers pregnancy. It will cease upon delivery. They are with SGH and Thomson. But I can’t find any info online.. can anyone share the benefits?
Thank you.

For maternity insurance, quite a number of insurance companies have this product. It covers the mother and baby for the pregnancy and conditions that arises within a specific timeframe after delivery. Thereafter, you can purchase extend a life policy for your baby, with no health questions asked.
The aviva one you are referring to, I’m not exactly sure if it’s the one the in shield plan whereby both parents are under aviva shield and child enjoys free cover? Don’t think they offer free maternity insurance.
In any case, typical insurance can only be incepted 15 days after birth, so your child will not be covered within the first 14 days, unless you have maternity insurance in place.
I wish they had such maternity policies in the past because when my girl was born, she was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism, life policy was kiv by insurance companies. I didn’t manage to get a life policy for her until she was 4. By then premiums slightly more expensive. Furthermore, she caught the RSV virus, was warded for 8 days when she was only 14 days old. No medical insurance can cover. All these costs could have been avoided if there were maternity insurance then. I spent a bomb. For my 2nd and 3rd child, I made sure that my advisor submitted my free child cover under aviva the moment I got their birth cert done.
There’s a couple of plans you can look at, such as manulife’s ready mummy, aviva’s my maternity plan and ntuc’s maternity 360.
I can share more info with you if you need. Just pm me.

For maternity insurance, quite a number of insurance companies have this product. It covers the mother and baby for the pregnancy and conditions that arises within a specific timeframe after delivery. Thereafter, you can purchase extend a life policy for your baby, with no health questions asked.
The aviva one you are referring to, I’m not exactly sure if it’s the one the in shield plan whereby both parents are under aviva shield and child enjoys free cover? Don’t think they offer free maternity insurance.
In any case, typical insurance can only be incepted 15 days after birth, so your child will not be covered within the first 14 days, unless you have maternity insurance in place.
I wish they had such maternity policies in the past because when my girl was born, she was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism, life policy was kiv by insurance companies. I didn’t manage to get a life policy for her until she was 4. By then premiums slightly more expensive. Furthermore, she caught the RSV virus, was warded for 8 days when she was only 14 days old. No medical insurance can cover. All these costs could have been avoided if there were maternity insurance then. I spent a bomb. For my 2nd and 3rd child, I made sure that my advisor submitted my free child cover under aviva the moment I got their birth cert done.
There’s a couple of plans you can look at, such as manulife’s ready mummy, aviva’s my maternity plan and ntuc’s maternity 360.
I can share more info with you if you need. Just pm me.

Thank you so much for the insightful and personal sharing.

I’m aware the medical and life insurance is only applicable to babies from 15 days old. It’s unfortunate if the baby has health issues and the parents have to face an uncertain amount of medical bills while we wished we can have undivided attention on the baby. I know the maternity insurance has limited benefits but at least the life policy can be transferred to the baby without any medical questions asked.

I’ve also found out Aviva provides free maternity insurance at Thomson Medical Centre. Mummies who visit Gynaes there can find out more. :)

Maternity insurance "provided" by the hospital are in-fact tied up with the insurer for a commission fee. I am from the insurance industry so I know how they works. :)

Back