Dilemma.. XXY (Klinefelter Syndrome)

zUaNzuAN

Dear Mummies,

My baby boy is tested as XXY. I'm in a dilemma now if we should continue with the pregnancy. Baby with XXY can have a wide spectrum. They can grow up normal but there is also a possibility that they have many other issues.

Dear Mummies,

My baby boy is tested as XXY. I'm in a dilemma now if we should continue with the pregnancy. Baby with XXY can have a wide spectrum. They can grow up normal but there is also a possibility that they have many other issues.

I am so sorry that u have to make this decision. I myself went thru this decision making process just few months ago.

This is purely me sharing my experience.

My angel has trisomy 21.My husband and i are more than capable of having the child and financially sufficient for all medical expenses but we still decided to terminate. We decided to terminate the pregnancy at week 13 after finding out at week 12.

it was best for the baby to end her suffering rather than bringing her to life to suffer further as she might have to go thru many surgeries the moment she is born. It will caused more pain to us to see her suffer, it also brings pains to our families, and it will affect us mentally and physically. So letting her go earlier is the greatest form of love and not selfishness. I would rather live with this pain forever than to have this pain on my child.

there is no right or wrong decision to this situation. You have to decide with your husband on this

> google more on the condition.
> Are u financially ok to support the child’s medical fees
> What week are u in? Do u still have time for termination? How much time u have to decide?

if u do decide to terminate, it will be tough, it will be painful. U will cry for many days, U will never be able to forget this child, but u will get better. U will learn to live with the child’s memory, knowing he is an angel now.

i hope u will be at peace with your decision whatever it may be.

I am so sorry that u have to make this decision. I myself went thru this decision making process just few months ago.

My angel has trisomy 21.My husband and i are more than capable of having the child and financially sufficient for all medical expenses but we still decided to terminate. We decided to terminate the pregnancy at week 13 after finding out at week 12.

it was best for the baby to end her suffering rather than bringing her to life to suffer further as she might have to go thru many surgeries the moment she is born. It will caused more pain to us to see her suffer, it also brings pains to our families, and it will affect us mentally and physically. So letting her go earlier is the greatest form of love and not selfishness. I would rather live with this pain forever than to have this pain on my child.

there is no right or wrong decision to this situation. You have to decide with your husband on this

> What week are u in? Do u still have time for termination? How much time u have to decide?

if u do decide to terminate, it will be tough, it will be painful. U will cry for many days, U will never be able to forget this child, but u will get better. U will learn to live with the child’s memory, knowing he is an angel now.

We did Google on this syndrome & it's seems like most of the xxy boy can grow up normally & the only confirmed diagnosis is infertility. Others symptoms will be a wide spectrum & not all xxy boy has the same symptoms.

The thing that is putting me in dilemma is that if he can grow up normal, should I terminate without giving my baby a chance.
We know for sure if my baby has down syndrome such as T18, T21, we will not let the bb go through the pain. But Klinefelter seems abit different. Haiz...

Am already in 21 week.. Not much time left to make decision.

I read up on this. Child may need hormone injections during puberty and even into adulthood. Is a wide spectrum, so it is a tough decision. May or may not have learning disabilities. Will have acne problems and muscle tone problems. Did you do amniocentesis with microarray or just the karyotype? I read CVS is not as accurate as the amnio on amniotic fluid. My harmony test indicated that Klinefelter was possible so I went and did amnio with CMA and karyotype to confirm. In the end, I was cleared but am still very shakened and now still afraid of going for check ups on the baby.

I actually think there is nothing wrong with the baby. What is scary is how society perceive such individuals. The recent MOE Ashley case where the kid wanted hormone injection is a case in point. Many religious folks still can't accept transgender or homosexuality may be biological in origin and they are very cruel to such individuals. Also afraid boy will be teased in army.

I shared that I have problems with the pregnancy with a colleague and he ended up gossiping about my baby to others. So I had a taste of dealing with the 'public' on this. So, don't tell more people about it to make your decision in peace.

You can pm me. I will share what I found in my research. There is a YouTube video of this Caucasian who has the syndrome. He shares more about how he can lead a normal life except that he has to have the hormone injections. Some of them have ADHD, but some have little or only slight issues. The fertility thing will have to be discussed also with the baby when he is older and he may have to discuss with future spouse. I am not sure if xxy are more inclined to change gender when older too. So these are some of the concerns that I thought of when harmony test came back inconclusive on xxy/xyy.

Just a pure anecdote. Not a very good idea to decide to terminate the suffering based upon preliminary testing, better to read up.

I am not an expecting mummy. I am a grown up adult. My parents did amnio and decided very clearly that they would terminate me if any anomalies were found they were thinking of Downs. The test was negative. Except it was a false negative.

I had a very troubled childhood and they didn't really know why. I had klinefelter's. I got myself tested when I was 21yo.

Maybe without the false positive, my parents may have attributed my issues to what it should be. They were very convinced I didn't have it. But karyotype proved otherwise. They apologised to me in the end and I accepted the apology.

I'm just throwing the question out there. What if you accidentally aborted a perfectly healthy baby from false positive, what if you delayed treatment thinking your baby is perfectly fine when they aren't?

What could have been treated as a pediatric issue, I am now seeking help as an adult in my late twenties with the more severe comorbid symptoms side of the spectrum. I am seeing occupational therapist, physiotherapist, neurologists only starting this year for issues going way back into my childhood.

I still struggle with my meaning of life to this day. If the test was accurate, I would have been an aborted child and presumably ended the suffering there and then. The false negative means that I'm living with this knowledge that my parents were hellbent on trying to end my life just so they can have a healthy baby. The doctors promised them of the healthy baby.
Except I am not the healthy baby promised.

Feel free to pm me. Wikipedia has a pretty concise page on klinefelter's syndrome. I have almost every single symptom for the syndrome, plus all of the emotional difficulties and neurocognitive issues as well. I have visits to the different physicians on a weekly basis or more frequent. No doubt some can be asymptomatic. I think it's not that bad compared to downs syndrome, just do your research and get more informed with the possible difficulties your child may face growing up.

Last edited:

Back