Cup cakes for birthday

hi all
i know this has been asked alot of times, but i did a search, cannot find the thread in archive.
sorry...

can anyone recommend me a built in oven for baking? brand and model? mainly for baking cookies and cakes not so much into roasting chicken. if it can, will be good. thanks in advance..

chef secret is at bukit meral central, above the hawker centre (think it's blk 165)... nearest mrt is redhill (walk about 15 mins) but it's 'next to' the centre's interchange.
happy.gif

Jandew & Keng
Thanks for the contact no of ms lili

Mrs Teng
I never keep my fondant in the fridge but in a tupperware container in room temp. I use corn flour to dust it when it start melting on my hand. Could this be the problem? The completed cuppies, I placed them in a covered container and left it in my bedroom for the aircon. A friend told me she tried using wilton one which is easier to manage compare to bakel. But wilton got a weird taste.

Fatmum

Agree with you that Wilton's has got weird taste. I usually rub in icing sugar (about 3 tablespoon) when it open the bakel fondant. And I also add 1/2 to 1 tsp of gum tex powder (for one packet of bakel fondant). That will harden the fondant a bit.

Dusting with a corn flour dustbag will make it easy to roll out. For me, after I completed the cake or cupcakes, I can leave it at room temp.. The trick is the gum tex powder. But dun use too much cos it will give it a funny smell also.

My new venture ~ dinosaur

3673331.jpg

3673332.jpg

Mrs Teng
Thanks much for the information. Will try out the next round. Your purple & green little dino are adorable!

Joannelim
I bought my built in oven from mayer. Recommended by my instructor though he never tell me what model to buy. I go for the simplest with not much complicated function. So far so good. Hope this helps

Hi,

May I know how long can we keep for those homemade fondant?? Can we made our shapes tat we want few days b4 hand??

tks

hi mummies,
I'm new here, I have 0 experience on baking but wanna DIY a cake for my girl bday this sunday.

intend to get a cake from icing room, add the mickey figuring with fondant lettering.

mummies, can advice how do the fondant lettering? is there lettering mould in market?

hi nlh
thanks.. a few friends also advised me buying ariston, but end up i bought their cooker n hood rather than oven. basically due to many pple said their after sale service is bad, so i bought a brandt instead. hopefully my decision wont upset me.

really hope after moving into new house i can finally bake some real cookies... my microwave conventional oven always fail me in baking cookies.. cake still quite ok, cookies totally like rock.

hi fatmum,
thanks alot for the info.
btw where can get Bakel fondant? I went poon huat @ hougang, can't find this brand only have Wilton's

Can get from Gina her shop at kallang bahru. Actually wilton oso can but i have not use it b4. Friend say got weird taste. But let you know ya fondant is nice to see but very sweet haha...!

This is extracted from Mrs Teng post to me cos I got problem handling bakel fondant.

(Agree with you that Wilton's has got weird taste. I usually rub in icing sugar (about 3 tablespoon) when it open the bakel fondant. And I also add 1/2 to 1 tsp of gum tex powder (for one packet of bakel fondant). That will harden the fondant a bit.

Dusting with a corn flour dustbag will make it easy to roll out. For me, after I completed the cake or cupcakes, I can leave it at room temp.. The trick is the gum tex powder. But dun use too much cos it will give it a funny smell also.)

fatmum,

From experience, Bakels fondant was hard to work with last year.However they seem to have change their formula. The fondant that I get from gina is no longer a nightmare to work with, therefore I feel there is no need to add tylose/gum tex. Don't add too much icing sugar also...they will start to crack.

Joannelim, maybe we met before? But my last class was some mths back maybe in Aug/Sept 2009. I used to attend her basic baking classes and hands on classes in the west, those 4 lessons type.

Me now in Perth for a holiday super laid back, shops closed after 5pm. Wan to look at baking stuff but noting much n not cheap considering A$ is much stronger now. Hehe...

Fatmum u r most welcomed. Hope u enjoy her classes if u eventually sign up.

Hi Mummies,

Im thinking of going to Lee Bee later but.. not sure if Lee Bee have red bean paste I could buy? Is there any place in the west that I could get the read bean paste?

fatmum
very cute Bento! Is that make of bread?

Weather so hot make me super lazy. Wait till today then baked the japanese cheese cake, hehe!

3702706.jpg

Hi All.
I've got pineapple filling brand new pack from Phoon Huat. Expiry 31 Mar 10.
Anyone need it? Collection Pasir ris or Tanjong pagar only.

Mone, where did u go? I oso juz came back :p.

Jasteo, for silicon molds do not grease. For normal metal baking tins, depending on what type of recipe some need to grease some dun. For eg chiffon cakes do not need to grease if grease cake will fail. Hehe...

Other cakes like butter and sponge cakes, I usu put margarine/shortening/butter/spray non stick oil onto the bottom, and put baking/greaseproof paper at bottom and sides for easy removal later.

Jandew : Went to HK. How about you?

For sponge cakes & heavy cakes, I've never greased the sides unless the recipe calls for it.
Because my cake tin has those removable bottom - similar to a springform except it isn't, it's not hard
to remove the cake. I only put baking/greaseproof paper at the bottom though.

Jandew : I don't have any relatives in HK. Was there for a vacation. Weather in HK now is cold similar to that of
Genting Highland's temperature? I ended up with very dry lips as I didn't bring a lip balm.

Overall, managed to get 3 pairs of boots and a few other things during shopping.

I will have a look at your spree and let you know if I want to get anything. Thanks!

Tink our last trip to Hkg was 2 yrs back. Wow I like that type if weather. I love the dim sum n late night shopping. Hehe...

wa. Hi Hi! didnt know got this thead of enthu bakers
happy.gif

a short intro of myself.
i learnt my baking through books and sharing tips with colleagues and friends. BUT foundation of baking is still not strong enough. thus i hav intentiion to go for foundation baking course. anyone can recommend else anywhere else except creative culinarie? currently i have shortlist that sch only cos from the description of the course, seems like what i need the most.

as for cake decorating, i have so far attended course 1 and 2 from BIY. currently waiting for Course 3 to commence
happy.gif
anyone a student with BIY?
fatmum, ur chiffon cake v nice le! i always cant get the even thickness in that. anypointers can share?
happy.gif

Jandew : The dim sum experience in HK was so different from the ones here locally. A pity the
egg tarts sold out so early in the morning.

Alot of food stalls and the cheap night markets!

PS: I found red bean paste filling at Phoon Huat yesterday - they have the sugar free version, snapped up the
1kg sugar free version of lotus paste for this year's mooncake. (Expiry date is in 2011)

Yaya

Welcome to the forum
happy.gif

Fatmum

always like the way you make the chiffon cake... I dare not make any, cos it always fails on me.. You've got so many chiffon cake recipes, ummmmm which one should I follow? I personally like pandan flavour, so what want ah?

Here's my bake for the week, just too lazy to do anything.. Did a few cupcakes for some toddlers.

3729781.jpg
3729782.jpg

*Waves to Yaya* U know who I m rite? Hehe...I attended many CC classes n feel that they give the most value for $.

Attended 1 french baking class at Creative but recipe too 'chiem' till now I have not experimented yet.

Mone oh yes Hongkongers r early birds are they not? Love egg tarts anytime!

Mrs Teng do u inverse ur chiffon cake immed after u take it out fr oven. Have to air it till cool for 1 hr or more. N do not grease ur mould best to use chiffon cake mold as chiffon cake mold needs someting to climb when baking. Hope u get success soon.

I bot a heart shape chiffon cake mold for many mths still sitting in cupboard collecting dust. Hmmm...tink I shld force myself to use it soon.

got website for chief secret? cant find by googling it.
Hi Hi Jandew, yes. i know u!
happy.gif

Hello Mrs Teng
happy.gif
ur cuppie v nice. where u get the mickey mouse icing from?
didnt bake anything this week as my mixer is down and i am v tempt to get kitchen aid mixer.anyone using? am considering which type of model is good. i am looking for bigger capacity ( that can do 2 receipe at any 1 time )

Yaya

Thanks! I used rolled fondant to cut out the mickey mouse using the mini mickey mouse vegetable cum cookie cutters.

Understand how you feel when the mixer is down. I'm currently using kitchenaid mixer. My personal view on mixer ~ just large enuf to comfortably make 1 recipe at any time without messing my work top. IF making double, that means the left over got to wait. In particular those recipes that have baking soda or baking powder in it. Time is a factor, if you keep the batter too long, the baking agent may not work perfectly after you drag the time too long before you bake it (2nd and 3rd batch) If you want a big capacity mixer, make sure your oven also can hold the double capacity.
happy.gif

Hey,
I am waiting for sales on KA mixer too since my handheld died on me...
Where and when have promo? buy from Mayer or Robinsons better??

Mrs Teng, Nice wor. i will be learning fondant on the coming April ( i think Wilton Course 3 is fondant? anyway, forget liao). is it tedious to use? i am looking for a mixer that can mix 2 receipe at most lor. cos if i want to do baking especially CNY, xmas, then need double volume. so wonder KA has it or not.

Muffin and Jandew, so concidence>? mine is a kenwood mixer. brought at 300+ and die on me less than 2 years! still thinking on whether to bring it for repair.. but it will take 3 weeks. meanwhile, i think i better get some handheld mixer to tong 1st.

just learnt that promotion is over for KA. so sianz. i hope their upcoming ones will be here soon.

yaya,
Ur kenwood is the patisser? I was planning to get that. U mean ur kenwwood only lasted 2 years? My lousy handheld was spoilt by me cos i use it on bread, no power. hahaha

mine ah? i am using kenwood KM260. i suspect overwork lor. that time when i was taking wilton Course 2, i use quite alot of times and on high speed also. my hubby suggest could be fuse down also.

haven't posted for some time liow....

did these for my little party at home ...

4 flavours flaky blossom pastry:

3732664.jpg

Korean sweet n juicy Strawberries!!

3732665.jpg

Tiramisu with EXTRA alcohol... kekekeke... in small quart containers... easy to do and store and EAT!

3732666.jpg

Did these Pulut Hitam Chiffon last nite, THANKS to fatmum for the malay language translation for recipe!!
happy.gif

I find that the texture is nice (I using HK Flour - leftover from CNY) and coconut taste is very fragrant... BUT the pulut hitam is just there... as in ... not powerful enuff... can just taste it!

Son loves it... we are pulut hitam dessert lovers!
happy.gif

3732711.jpg

3732712.jpg
3732713.jpg

3732714.jpg
3732715.jpg

Yaya, I nearly wanted buy ur model - KM260. Gd ting I read abt wat u said!

Previously I was using handheld, baked too much...got smoke coming out...Muahahaha....

My fren recommended Chef Major but so ex.

Back