Cough and vomit

hot

my boy has been coughing for abt 2weeks and been seeing 2 pd, but the med seems not working on him. Wonder mummies have any solutions to his cough and advise what fruit and veggie can be given and what not?

whenever he coughs, especially lying down, he will vomit or when he coughs vigorously he will also throw out. I reduce his milk feed at 9pm incase he cant hold and throw out which has happened a few times. Am I right to do so?

Try this.

Vicks Vaporub

Sorry, no graphic for this one, and don't laugh, it works 100% of the
time although the scientists at the Canada Research council who
discovered it aren't sure why.

To stop nighttime coughing in a child (or adult as we found out
personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at
bedtime then cover with socks.

Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and
stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.

Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very
strong prescriptions cough medicines. In addition it is extremely
soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these findings
on behalf of their scientists when they were investigating the
effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children as
compared to alternative therapies like accupressure. I Just happened to
tune in A.M.
Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids
often do more harm than good due to the chemical makeup of these strong
drugs so, I listened.

It was a surprising finding and found to be more effective than
prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, and in addition, it has a
soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep
soundly .

Lolly tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and
persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it
felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her. Her coughing stopped in a
few minutes and believe me, this was a deep,( incredibly annoying!)
every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough free for
hours every night that she used it.

So, if you have children, pass it on, if you end up sick, try it
yourself and you will be absolutely amazed by the effect.

hi Hong,

so "rub Vicks Vaporub on th bottom of the feet" will help...will sure try. But wonder would tat actually cure the cough?
Do u think i can rub it during daytime, cos he also coughing during the day!
Any more solutions to stop coughing?
What food/fruit/veggies to avoid and can eat?

Hi Hong,
This is amazing, and I will definitely try it.

Hi hot,
How old is your boy? My boy is 3, and whenever he had a bad cough, he will tend to throw out too. Then again, as they are young, they do not know how to spit out the phlem, which is irritating in their throat, so that casues them to throw out, which somehow will make them feel better after that.

My boy has been coughing for the past 2-3 weeks too, and is normally during his sleep. Went to see pd, said that he is sensitive, and more on the "cold" cough. So must avoid all the "cold" fruits/food.

Well it beats me too, I also don't know what is "cold" or "heaty" cough, and what food to avoid! Anyway, I will try Hong's method. I have been rubbing vicks on my son, on his chest, throat and back, but not on feets!

hi snoopwen,

ya..I will definite tat method too.

My boy is 2yo, he is experiencing exactly like ur boy. How many times does he cough everyday? Yest. mine vomited 3 times! so keksim and heartache. His weight also dropped.

I really scratched head dunno what foods/fruits to give/avoid him.....

hello
my mum brewed "xue li" with rock sugar.. not too sweet please... good for cough.

hi hot,
can understand, especially when you just fed them with food and milk and then cough and vomitted all out. I took him to see pd last week, and after taking silomat (for cough) , Bambec (for phlem) and polarax (for runny nose), he is better now. last monday, he was sleeping int the night, then coughed so badly till he woke up and vomitted 3Xs!

is your boy attending school? once they started playschool, kids will be very prone to flu and cold. your boy taken the pneumono jab? mine have not, every time want to bring him for the jab, he will have runny nose or cough..... the jab can only be taken when they are well.

Snoopwen, did pd give hime ventolin? mine given this, dun remember the mame of others. Anyway, all also not wrorking on him le...

I plan to bring him to pd again. Actually I am contemplating to go PD or GP. Do u agree with me tat PD's med are acutally quite mild and GP is stronger? I feel tat taking GP's med can recover faster but find it too strong lor..

hot:
if i am not wrong, xue li is the yellow skinned pear... can get from ntuc.
not sure for dry or wet... i forgot to ask my mum.. double boil for 4 hrs... should be suffice.

oic.. I will go ntuc to find out. I have just bought the round and big type of "Li" wonder is it tat is tat?

Btw. do u gals know wheter can give egg, chicken and fish at this time?

hot:
oops!!!
forgot to mention... must put pi par!! hee.. sorry ah!

i dun give my girl chicken and orange when she is coughing. as for fish... i give her every meal!

krazy:
I went to chinese physician last time, she told me chicken can eat but not fish! I have confirmed with 2 diff chinese physicians!

So is it 1 pi par + 1 xue li + rock sugar? can u pls check with your mum whether its for dry or wet cough huh? thks

hot:
really!!
oh my gosh!!
is that why my girl's been coughing since the chinese new year?? her cough went away for like a week then she came down with fever and cough started again... sigh...
not sure, but in the past, when she was a lot younger, i used to cook birds nest porridge for her and she never had cough. think i will start her on it again. but must wait till she recovers right?

as for the xueli
i think i saw her put in like 4 pi par for 2 li. and as for rock sugar, its to taste.
my sis, who had wet cough, took it and felt a lot better.

hot,
Someone gave me this article too. I see no harm trying since only rubbing vick on the bottom of the feet.

If day time then u try it during his nap.

When ur son vomit, did u spot any phlegm? If yes, then vomit make not be a bad thing after all. At least he feel better after getting rid of the phlegm.

krazy,
how did you cook the porridge with bird nest? care to share? I like to give my son bird nest, but not sure how...

my son quite fussy with food, he don't take sweet stuff, other than medicine.

hot,
I agreed, think gp medicine more effective. pd is so ex too! and every time need to go back and follow up if medicine don't work.

snoopwen:
just pmed you... dun want to mess up hot's thread. hee

gp instead:
actually i used to bring my girl to the pd too but of late, i have switched her to the normal gp.. not just for the cost but also for other more practical reasons.

1) pd - quite far and to get there, will mean i have to at least 2 different buses and walk quite a distance.
2) pd - long waiting time. every time we are there, the wait is at least an hour.
3) pd - more expensive

now she is seeing the doc which i see.. i think its good.. cuz now, can officially call this doc, family doc.. hahaha
at least he has all our records...

krazy:

I am not convinced about chicken / fish thingy tat's why I wanna check with mummies lor..dun meant to cause alarm here manzzzz...

Its ok with me, as I am learning from all of you: as many info the merrilier to me. Can I have the recipe as well?

Hong: thks. I have already instructed the caregiver to rub some on his feet..
happy.gif
I can hear phlegm in his throat, believe its the phlegm tat cos the itchness thus coughing....but dunno vomitting has got rid of the phlegm as well or not...
sad.gif
Just knowing the food previously given to him were all out la..haizz..

The reason I asked about GP : PD was becos the GP I went for a few times often prescript antibiotic for the first visit. Unlike pd, who would only give antibiotic on the 2nd or 3rd visit. Of course I agreed GP's waiting time is shorter and cheaper too.

snoopwen: its good tat he doesnt like sweet stuffs ma..delay tooth decay...

Do u think I must stop his milk feed for the night temp.?

Krazy,
i didnt know NO FISH.

I bring my children to PD whenever they are sick. I manage to find a reasonable cheap PD at Pasir Ris, eventhot i need to drive 30min to his clinic.

U may find us crazy but we believe to get a PD to look into our children healthy when they r sick. It is quite true that PD dun give antibotics on 1st visit but that mean u have to go back to him 2nd time or more times sometime.

My PD will charge me $40 when my ger is down with cough, flu and fever. That inclusive of consulation and medi.

The clinic is Pasir Ris bb and child clinic at Elias mall. If happen anyone of u live ard there.

hot,
I think you can still feed him as per normal, unless he don't want it. If he still got appetite to eat and drink, just give .

Yes, according to pd , vomitting and throwing out is a means of clearing the phlem, some kids thru poo poo.

hot:
this is what i sent to snoopwen

firstly, you have to make sure that the birds nest is thoroughly cleaned.
rid of the feathers. actually, if you are just reparing for your child, soak a very little amount will do.
i used the steamer and i will cook the birds nest first.. for like over an hour... in water and then i will add the rice, and later vege and fish
finally. totally cooking time can take up to 3 hrs. you can use the slow cooker.

you can check to see if birds nest cooked ... as long as it has become transparent, and soft... it is. then you add veg and fish ..

veg.. depends on what kind.. if its carrot... then will take a longer time to cook.. so you can cook it longer. but for fish, i normally just add in during the last 5-7 min.

hope this helps!
btw, these are the different porridge my girl has tried..
1) Bird's nest with Fish
2) Bird's nest with Fish and Egg
3) Bird's nest with Fish and Carrot
4) Bird's nest with spinach, fish

> n

mummies who will be trying the li :

for a young child, 1 li and 1 pi par should be enough...
when i saw my mum prepared, (4 pi par, 2 li) it was more like for the whole family.

oh btw, i tried the vicks on the soles thing last night with my girl... i dint use vicks per say, used something else since i had it. and last night, she only coughed once or twice.. my girl has phelgmy cough .. can really hear but surprisingly last night, when she did cough, i couldnt hear the phelgm at all. she was able to sleep through...

hi gals,

I have tried the vicks on the soles for my boy during the last 2 nites. I rubbed it on the soles until its warm and then put on the sock. Its really amazing tat I couldnt hear the phelgm nor any cough for the whole nite!

hi mummies
surprise to find this thread.

my 5th mth old gal has been coughing (can hear her phelgm) almost every month. the pelgm comes and goes. we bought the "baby snuffle" similar to vicks recently and hv try applying on the back of her feet.

do u mean applying on the sole (bottom of the foot)? both feets? how many times a day? Really wana try since it works wonder for most of your babies
happy.gif

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between heaty cough and cold cough?

My 2+ yr old son started with cough with phelgm and low grade fever. The cough persisted and the fever become higher to 38.5. GP then precribed antibiotics since the paracetamol did not bring down his fever. I find this GP not very good as end up my son had to eat so much medicine. Nurofen (fever), Augmentin (antibiotics), Dhasedyl (cough), mucoslovon (phelgm) and fedec (flu). The antibiotics is making him lose his appetite although his fever has subsided. Last nite he did not cough, but keep tossing and turning, I suspect its due to his block nose. Not sure if the vicks remedy posted here will help with blocked nose at night.

I'm thinking of cooking some soup for him to help to improve his appetite. Any good soup receipe for cough?

java

I love to make this pear drink for my boy whenever he coughs. It helps and has also helped other friends' kids.

Put 1 pear (Ya Li/ Xue Li), with Chuan Bei, Nan Xing, Bei Xing, Rock Sugar(optional) and double boil for 1 hr. After that, drink the water and eat the pear. Drink daily for 1 week.

Don't take this with western med. Make it at least 1hr apart.

Another way is to use chen pi or ji ping to cook in soup. They help to clear phlegm too.

hi,
my gal cough and vomits all out, when lying down asleep or cough vigorously too. we have tried many diff medications prescribed but not working, until we finally brought her to kkh. the kkh doc prescribed her with Promethazine and it works well. This promethazine can stop her nausea, vomit and cough whereby i'll feed her before she falls asleep during a flu fever attack. the medicine effect lasts 8hours and you are almost assured a good night sleep while taking care of your sick child and not having the vomits all over his bedsheet, pillow case.

secondly, double steam meat with white fungus a bit of seedless red dates and wolfberry to help nourish and neutralised the chesty lung/trickly throat. worst still not ok after prolonged periods, then boil very diluted black bean with meat soup to warm/give the lung a bit heaty feeling so that not so coughy.

Back