Cordlife or Stemcord or do nothing?

sercraz

Hi Mummies, i am 4 months pregnant with my #1 and am wondering if it is a good idea to go for cord blood banking.

I have briefly done some research with my hubby and decided that we will not go for cord blood donation but instead, private cord blood banking.

However, we are unsure how to choose which company to go for or if we should not consider either one at all.

Any suggestions/advice for us please?

Since you have decided to go for private cord blood banking, then as you have mentioned - it's very straight-forward - either Cordlife or Stemcord. Do not do nothing!!!

All my 3 kids' cord blood are with Stemcord. Very good experience all along in the past 6+ years. As to why we chose Stemcord over Cordlife in the first place - hubby did a comparison and felt that Stemcord was slightly better then. Their customer service then was also better.

To make a better decision, why don't you go down to their offices and speak to their staff?

There is the option of donating it to the Singapore Blood Cord Bank. They run it through a lot of tests, and the process is very stringent. Read up more about cord blood and stem cells - note that in cases of emergencies, there is no guarantee that what you banked can be used; and using the same stem cells might predispose you to the same problem. I'm not good in explaining these terms... so do your research online, please.

Hi Sercraz! I am from the EDD Apr 13 thread. My friends told me they signed with Cordlife, i am also considering as well.. But i heard there's a coming baby event at expo this nov though.. maybe go check it out?

Moon: I totally agree with you! Must go down to their office and speak to them then you will know for sure.
happy.gif

I have signed up with Cordlife for my baby.

If anyone want to sign up with Cordlife at Baby Expo this weekend 14-16 Dec 2012, I can refer you as a friend. We each can get $100 worth of shopping vouchers.

Do email me at [email protected] or PM me if interested as I seldom check threads. Thanks.

Hi all,

I just signed up with Cordlife over Stemcord. Do pm me if you need a referral and we can both get $100 CapitaVouchers
happy.gif

If you do not intend to bank with Cordlife or Stemcord, do donate your baby's cord blood to the public bank to save others.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
happy.gif

guess it's a gamble..
i chose to sign up to donate, end up they dun even want.. gave to them for research purpose instead. not because im sick or blood not good.. its just that the cord was too short and not enough cord blood for them to have proper usage.

luckily i din sign commercial one, else will waste money without knowing...

Hi Jiening. I donated twice, and twice the SCBB couldn't bank it due to insufficient quantity! It is on the one hand almost "heartbreaking" being "rejected".... but on the other hand... yes.. LUCKILY didn't put that insufficient amount into the private bank and never found out, right?

Hi jiening, for stemcord, they will inform u within 7 days upon collection on the quantity that they retrieve from your cord blood and the test results they have performed so that u still can decide whether u still want to bank with them. However, there will be admin fees incurred shd u decide not to bank. It's not the case of what you guys have mentioned that 'put in private bank and never found out.' This is what I have learnt after meeting with the sale executive. Of cse, the best option is still to donate lah. Mine was unable to donate due to pre existing illness.

Hi all,

I just signed up with Cordlife over Stemcord. Do pm me if you need a referral and we can both get $100 CapitaVouchers
happy.gif

If you do not intend to bank with Cordlife or Stemcord, do donate your baby's cord blood to the public bank to save others.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
happy.gif

I realised that it's not possible to pm so you can email me at [email protected] for more details
happy.gif

I have donated my stem cells to Singapore cord bank, not only it will not go to waste. In any case, shd u need to use your stem cell & upon checking with SCB, it is still avail, they will release it back to u.

Spending thousands $$$ storing your own, might as well share & if anyone in need, can use.

Hi I signed up for Cordlife with my first. Now that I am expecting again, I am considering if it is necessary to do so for my second one as I remember my representative telling me that the stem from my firstborn can be used for siblings as well. What do you guys think

Hi Kay, this is like buying insurance. What if, touch wood, 1st-born needs to use all the stem cells for treatment, which means none leftover for younger siblings? If you think the probability of this happening is very very low, then dun need to bank in for your second one (donate to the Singapore Cord Bank). If not, then can continue to sign up for your #2
happy.gif

I have signed up with Cordlife for my baby.

If anyone want to sign up with Cordlife at Motherhood Fair 30 May - 2 June, I can refer you as a friend. We each can get $100 worth of shopping vouchers.

Do email me at [email protected] or PM me if interested as I seldom check threads. Thanks.

Ladies,

If you don’t want to bank privately (since you have to pay), please do consider donating the stemcells to the public bank. It's like public blood donation, except that it is stemcells instead of blood. For this you don’t have to pay anything, just give the Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB) a call (link below), tell them you want to donate, collect the donation medical kit (with needle, storage bag etc) from them and on checking into the hospital for delivery, hand this to the nurse/doc. They know what to do.

Good karma, no cost, almost no effort on your part. If not banked, the hospital will throw the placenta with the cord blood away anyway so may as well try and do some good.

http://www.scbb.com.sg/Pages/Home.aspx

Please do think about it.

Kay, when I signed up with Cordlife for No. 2 (I wasted No. 1's) what they told me is that, at this point of current medical developments, in all likelihood, the donor's stemcells cannot be used to save the donor child if the donor's cells has some "issues" or defects since these same defects will most likely be in the donor stemcells. Most times when the cells have been used successfully, it was to treat siblings or parents. So your second child's stemcells may not benefit him/her but may benefit your no. 1.

On donation to SCBB.
SCBB's standards are apparently higher than Cordlife or Stemcords because they have limited resources and funds and because they owe an obligation to the public to make sure that what is stored is viable and of sufficient volume to actually treat a patient and not tainted. It must be of sufficient quantity otherwise what's the use of starting someone on a course of treatment and then oh oh, find that you run out of the "treatment (medication). For Cordlife and Stemcore, they are only limited by the amount of fees they can market/collect and their duty is only towards the donor/family contracting with them. So ladies who tried to donate to SCBB, dont feel upset if you were rejected. Kudos to you for trying to do good. You should be proud!

Hallo.....

Just to share with you.

If anyone want to sign up with Cordlife during month of June 2013, I can refer you as a friend. 
We each can get $150 worth of shopping vouchers. 
Do email me at [email protected] or PM me if you are interested. 
Thanks.

When I was pregnant, I did consider cord banking but gynae advised that donating will be a better idea and in addition like what sunny mentioned, it could be not much of use like defection of the stem cells. Ended up I donate. Not need to pay and is sort of doing a good deed for those in need.

I decided to public bank for my #1 and now that I'm expecting again, starting all over my "decision matrix" dunno whether to private or public bank. Not intending to have #3 liao.

Hallo.....

Just to share with you.

If anyone want to sign up with Cordlife during month of August 2013, I can refer you as a friend.
We each can get $100 worth of shopping vouchers.
Do email me at [email protected] or PM me if you are interested.
Thanks.

Hi ladies,

i'm leaning towards Stemcord because they are more transparent in their service while Cordlife seems only to be looking for fast expansion and the salesperson is not very knowledgeable, although Cordlife is publicly listed and may exist a longer time than Stemcord.

did some research on the topic and thought i share my findings.

///
1) Cordlife vs Stemcord

- Cordlife is listed on SGX mainboard: more transparency. Stemcord is privately owned.
- Main shareholders for Cordlife are a bunch of interrelated Chinese biotech companies. (This fact scares me but logically shouldn't be too much of a concern). Main shareholders for Stemcord includes two famous doctors: One operated on LHL and the other on Andrea de Cruz, so their reputations are at stake.
- cordlife seems bigger than stemcord
- Stemcord seems more upfront than cordlife and much more informative. Most of my more in depth information comes from Stemcord.
- stemcord stores cords in 2 bags instead of 1 which cordlife does. once one bag of stem cells is taken out, cannot be stored again. This is important if stemcell regeneration tech is discovered or if one bag is contaminated or unusable.
- Stemcord assesses whether the cord is usable and worth storing when harvested. My impression is cordlife doesn't tell you this and just stores it for you. Is this true? (Contrary to what Sunny72 says about Stemcord)

2) title deed of the cord

- Cord is owned by the beneficiary/parents/baby and not the company
- Both companies only provide storage facilities
- In an event company bankrupts, there is an assignment clause that states that cordlife/stemcord has to make sure that the cords are transferred to another company that can continue to provide this service with the same plan till 21 years.
- Cordlife/stemcord does not seem to have the right to assign/subcontract the storage service to another vendor unless at a time the business is sold or the company winds down

3) Varying time periods

- If cord is used up before 21 years, payment for storage shall cease or refund if full amount was paid upfront.
- Beyond 21 years, there will be a new storage plan and cost might change at that time but the family/beneficiary will still own the cord

4) More info from Stemcord

- for every 100 mil stem cells harvested, it can save a individual of 10kg weight
- at least 200 mil stem cells can be harvested for baby at full birth (20kg individual can be saved) but there are cases where 1 bil stem cells were harvested
- doctors may reject doing the operation if they feel cell count is not enough for the sick individual
- if stemcell regenerative tech is discovered, then the stemcells may be grown to make up the weight
- according to stemcord, cordlife does not fully disclose such information and there have been cases where the cords in cordlife were called to be used but the stem cell counts were insufficient to begin with. This wasn't disclosed to the clients until they needed it. (how true is this? or should i disregard?)
///

I'll probably be choosing one of these companies very soon as the EDD of my child is about a month away.
Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks

Reactions: qsk
Hi jsea,

Did you sign up with StemCord eventually? I'm looking at signing up as well. Now looking for referrals. Can you be my referral?

Cheers
qsk

Ladies, i feel very indignant that there isn't enough unbiased information/education about cord blood banking (private safekeeping vs public donation) out there. For those of you who have donated to the public SCBB, I applaud your generosity and goodwill. I personally do not believe in this process UNLESS there already has been an identified member of your immediate family who needs the stem cells that your baby can provide.

The cord blood IS your baby's blood. You need to clamp and cut the cord immediately to collect enough blood for a cord blood bank, but you are in fact denying your baby his/her full blood volume. Think about it this way, between the baby and the placenta, the full blood volume (on average) is about 450mls. At birth, your baby has approx one-third of this volume (300mls) and the remaining volum (150mls) is in the placenta. You will need to clamp and cut the cord early to collect enough for the cord blood bank (minimum 45mls). Why would you deny a baby a third of his/her full blood volume?

Even pediatric guidelines stipulate that the MAXIMUM blood draw on an infant in 24 hours should not exceed 5% of their blood volume. You wouldn't even think of sticking a needle into your baby after it was born to draw 30% of his/her blood volume, why do it at the time when he/she needs it the most, at birth?

Please Mummies, conduct your own research into 'delayed cord clamping' and find out more information about how autologous transplants from stem cells.

Attended a seminar on cord blood last week and realised that the cord blood is a 100% match to my child and that not all diseases are genetic in nature. Given the potential of these cells, i will provide it more consideration especially when i read more from overseas banks on their actual usage on blood disorders and trials related to brain injuries. I hope to be able to have direct access to my child's stem cells and be able to store till the child is much much older...

http://www.viacord.com/references/index.aspx

I urge parents to think of their child and family before deciding to discard a future medical resource that is wonderfully given to us by mother nature only at the time of birth.

I signed up with Cordlife eventually. Am impressed with their commitment in educating customers like us, especially in the areas of the world transplants that have been performed, and for sharing their transplant record on self use with me and my hubby.
Also storing my cord, and not just cord blood alone. I heard alot about cord tissue, lining stuffs used in people with burns and knee injuries (seriously thought this is only available for the ultra rich in US, Europe for the footballers and movie stars), and I'm glad we have this in Singapore (after all, we are a medical hub!), and made that very affordable to us parents. For my child, my priorities are medical protections.

I signed up with Cordlife eventually. Am impressed with their commitment in educating customers like us, especially in the areas of the world transplants that have been performed, and for sharing their transplant record on self use with me and my hubby.
Also storing my cord, and not just cord blood alone. I heard alot about cord tissue, lining stuffs used in people with burns and knee injuries (seriously thought this is only available for the ultra rich in US, Europe for the footballers and movie stars), and I'm glad we have this in Singapore (after all, we are a medical hub!), and made that very affordable to us parents. For my child, my priorities are medical protections.
high 5 sheahappie! :D

i've chosen cordlife again for my #2 and have also stored his cord lining. and at first, i thought cord lining storage was something new but it has been around for quite many years. i also did some research online before deciding to store baby's cord lining since that's an additional cost, but it's worth it considering that we have no plans for #3 and it would be thrown away so don't waste the only chance! it's still affordable paying by credit card instalment so why not. at least i will know i have stem cells there when i need it.

i always think of what my children would ask if *touchwood* things happen and they go "mummy why didnt you store for me......" I cannot imagine how guilty i would be when i can affordable to store in the first place and did not. doesn't matter that we have less money now for the renovations of my new home 'cause that one can wait. if the cord is thrown away, means thrown away. zero chance.

i'm happy that Cordlife still addressed all of my concerns again, like they did when i signed for #1 in 2012 though i forgotten a lot of the technical things but i have very good impression of their consultants being very sincere and not pushy at all. i did thought about putting my "eggs" into different "baskets" but why choose different baskets if they're not comparable to the good ones right? stemcord's staffs are nice too in general but i need to know i'm putting money in the right place. then i also find out a bit more on why there is no need to store in 2 bags, and since most people were told that all stem cells will be required for a transplant. so i found out that it increases the risk to store in more bags. see the referencing on cordlife's website:

Why divide your child’s precious stem cells into two cryo bags, in two locations and double your risk?
Given that the cell dose is an important predictor of successful transplant outcomes, such ‘split cord blood units’ might place their potential recipients at a disadvantage and their application, therefore, unlikely, unless successful stem cell expansion becomes practical in this setting.1

^Reference 1. Rubinstein, P. (2009) Cord blood banking for clinical transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 44. pp. 635-642

https://www.cordlife.com/sg/en/how-cord-blood-processed-and-stored

so why do they even promote it when there's higher risk to store separately?? i dont understand! unless they are hybrid bank that stores for both private and public use, there is no need to split them up. 2 bags also don't mean it's 50-50% of all cells in each bag, it can be 40-60 or so, and if cell counts is so important, wouldn't it jeopardise a transplant then? the more i read the more it don't make sense.

anw, i'm just glad i made the right choice. :) this proves that doing even a bit of research is important and with honesty from the company helps too. i hope parents read this and make an informed choice like i did too.

Congrats on ur #2 heyhailey!
Scarily my cuzzie stored with stemcord previously and she told me they stored in 4 tubes??? They have changed to 2 bags already... Hmmm... Makes me wonder what is the feasibility and consistency in educating us. Neeways, I didn't speak to them. Cos I wanted to go for a more established Co with experience.

By the way, which hospital did u opt??

Ladies, i feel very indignant that there isn't enough unbiased information/education about cord blood banking (private safekeeping vs public donation) out there. For those of you who have donated to the public SCBB, I applaud your generosity and goodwill. I personally do not believe in this process UNLESS there already has been an identified member of your immediate family who needs the stem cells that your baby can provide.

The cord blood IS your baby's blood. You need to clamp and cut the cord immediately to collect enough blood for a cord blood bank, but you are in fact denying your baby his/her full blood volume. Think about it this way, between the baby and the placenta, the full blood volume (on average) is about 450mls. At birth, your baby has approx one-third of this volume (300mls) and the remaining volum (150mls) is in the placenta. You will need to clamp and cut the cord early to collect enough for the cord blood bank (minimum 45mls). Why would you deny a baby a third of his/her full blood volume?

Even pediatric guidelines stipulate that the MAXIMUM blood draw on an infant in 24 hours should not exceed 5% of their blood volume. You wouldn't even think of sticking a needle into your baby after it was born to draw 30% of his/her blood volume, why do it at the time when he/she needs it the most, at birth?

Please Mummies, conduct your own research into 'delayed cord clamping' and find out more information about how autologous transplants from stem cells.

Wow, is this true? They have to clamp early and stop the blood flow to your baby? If we don't donate, will the doctor allow more time for the blood to flow to the baby then cut the cord?

I was actually considering donating the blood and just found out here that I can do it with Singapore Cord Life.

Wow, is this true? They have to clamp early and stop the blood flow to your baby? If we don't donate, will the doctor allow more time for the blood to flow to the baby then cut the cord?

I was actually considering donating the blood and just found out here that I can do it with Singapore Cord Life.

Hihi, Cordlife does cord blood and cord banking privately wor... They don't do for donation... Actually about the clamp early part and blood flow, i don't think so as there are so many people banking cord blood everyday, haven't heard from my doctor on this endangering anything... By the way, kudos to deciding not to throw away this good stuff from your baby!

I put Donating as my 1st choice before turning into the private banks. But i ended up choosing Cordlife with few simple reasons.

My hubby is a super "difficulty and calculative" person. After lots of callings, meeting with the sales people, checking online, price comparing, benefits comparing and researching on the scientific areas, we gave up on the idea of donating.

Firstly Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB) discard more than than they store just because they set a real high standard on the number of stem cells that has to be in. They need a billion cell count before they can store. I asked them what is the chance of having more than 1 billion, the girl over the phone said that around or less than 50%. I continue asking what they will do to those units that are below standards? They will discard... OMG... I asked if we (as parents) have the options to know before hand and we can transfer it to a private bank for storage if we didn't meet the 1 billion. I was told "NO". It is such a precious source and yet they just discard it just because the number of stem cells is insufficient base on their standards?

Lately i called them again and realised that they are the "agent" for a new cord blood bank "unknown name". The new bank will process their client's cord blood unit in the facility of SCBB!?? I was told over the phone that it is a joint SG & India bank... she didn't give me further details of the new bank. But i was like having this thought in my mind... "why do our government have to be an agent and allow the whatever bank process in their facility?" This really make me question about the credibility and stability.... That whatever new bank doesnt even has their own processing facility?? NOT A CHOICE THEN....

Then i turn to Cord Life Vs StemCord.

7 years back when my cousin in law was pregnant, she stored with Stemcord. Out of bias, i called them first.
They stored in 4 vials in the past and now they store it in 2 bags. I asked why... The answers were not convincing and i felt so strongly i was being "sales man talked into" thinking that i have no or limited scientific knowledge.
4 vials = 4 chances was what being educated to my cousin and now they say 2 bags are for 2 chances.

So i asked why they don't carry on the 4 vials as it equals to 4 chances and she can reply cos the "standard is not FACT and higher". I was so shocked... which means what?? the standards that they had before the FACT was not up to standards? what happen to my nephew's cord blood unit???

Next she explained on the 2 locations storage and i felt so strongly they either think everyone in the market is bimbo or not educated....
The 2 locations that they store in are less than 2km apart, what's the point?? if there is any natural disaster, isn't it going to affect the same area? And if it is for building or system safety reasons, aren't they supposed to be doing preventive actions than storing in two locations? Are they sure about the actual reason?

I further questioned on the 50%-50% storage bag. What if that 50% is insufficient for use as i have read that for the Cerebral Palsy case that Cordlife did in 2009, 80% was used on the then 2 year old girl. Then the customer service or sales person replied that both units will have to be used.

Although opened and managed by doctors, i feel that Stemcord didn't give me the "medical" and "scientific" feeling that i seek and think i will receive. A bit disappointed.

So i proceed with Cordlife.

I am quite surprised by their (customer service and then the sales that i met) knowledge and patience while being bombarded by my questions one after another... (my hubby is scary). Both gave me the same answers and they are very upfront and frank on the limitation of usage now (about or less than 100 diseases, mostly so rare that i didnt hear before) as many applications are still under clinical trials. Cordlife have great experiences to share on the transplants that they had done for their clients although not all are officially published (aside for the highly publicized Cerebral Palsy case).

In term of price, i am sure they are more expensive but the price plans are quite flexible and comparable to Stemcord. That makes me drill into other benefits, which I feel worth it as the "perks" that they add into the package (some insurance plan during pregnancy) are very useful and value for money. If i get such a pregnancy insurance out in the market, it is going to cost more. Other perks that they give are more "touching the heart" or at least i feel the girl i spoke to is someone with lots of passion and beliefs.

Most importantly, they have been using the same 80%-20% bag since they started ops in SG and this tells me a lot on the way they do business- Consistency. As for being listed, ok... i don't know and dont care much, but at least the business is more transparent and they are financially sound. That's good enough to know.

They also have the cord lining plan (which i postpone to hear more about) as that will be too much info for me and hubby. The girl i spoke to was so patient and not pushy or defensive which makes me sure i am going for Cordlife service. What matters most is even my hubby is convinced!

Congrats on ur #2 heyhailey!
Scarily my cuzzie stored with stemcord previously and she told me they stored in 4 tubes??? They have changed to 2 bags already... Hmmm... Makes me wonder what is the feasibility and consistency in educating us. Neeways, I didn't speak to them. Cos I wanted to go for a more established Co with experience.

By the way, which hospital did u opt??
OMG 4 tubes?!! and i thought 2 bags are bad enough. thank god i wasn't swayed by the idea of putting #2's cord blood in different company thinking of it like an investment; it would have been a wrong move!

thanks for your regards and congrats to you on your #1! :):D i was in TMC for both deliveries. for my #1, i had the 2-bed suite, but decided to upgrade to single so that my hubby can stay overnight with me. and we've been recommending our relatives and friends to go for single suite if they dont mind paying more for the comfortable and privacy. so we opted for single suite straight away the 2nd time round. you might want to consider going for single too, doesnt matter which hospital you go to.

I put Donating as my 1st choice before turning into the private banks. But i ended up choosing Cordlife with few simple reasons.

My hubby is a super "difficulty and calculative" person. After lots of callings, meeting with the sales people, checking online, price comparing, benefits comparing and researching on the scientific areas, we gave up on the idea of donating.

Firstly Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB) discard more than than they store just because they set a real high standard on the number of stem cells that has to be in. They need a billion cell count before they can store. I asked them what is the chance of having more than 1 billion, the girl over the phone said that around or less than 50%. I continue asking what they will do to those units that are below standards? They will discard... OMG... I asked if we (as parents) have the options to know before hand and we can transfer it to a private bank for storage if we didn't meet the 1 billion. I was told "NO". It is such a precious source and yet they just discard it just because the number of stem cells is insufficient base on their standards?

Lately i called them again and realised that they are the "agent" for a new cord blood bank "unknown name". The new bank will process their client's cord blood unit in the facility of SCBB!?? I was told over the phone that it is a joint SG & India bank... she didn't give me further details of the new bank. But i was like having this thought in my mind... "why do our government have to be an agent and allow the whatever bank process in their facility?" This really make me question about the credibility and stability.... That whatever new bank doesnt even has their own processing facility?? NOT A CHOICE THEN....

Then i turn to Cord Life Vs StemCord.

7 years back when my cousin in law was pregnant, she stored with Stemcord. Out of bias, i called them first.
They stored in 4 vials in the past and now they store it in 2 bags. I asked why... The answers were not convincing and i felt so strongly i was being "sales man talked into" thinking that i have no or limited scientific knowledge.
4 vials = 4 chances was what being educated to my cousin and now they say 2 bags are for 2 chances.

So i asked why they don't carry on the 4 vials as it equals to 4 chances and she can reply cos the "standard is not FACT and higher". I was so shocked... which means what?? the standards that they had before the FACT was not up to standards? what happen to my nephew's cord blood unit???

Next she explained on the 2 locations storage and i felt so strongly they either think everyone in the market is bimbo or not educated....
The 2 locations that they store in are less than 2km apart, what's the point?? if there is any natural disaster, isn't it going to affect the same area? And if it is for building or system safety reasons, aren't they supposed to be doing preventive actions than storing in two locations? Are they sure about the actual reason?

I further questioned on the 50%-50% storage bag. What if that 50% is insufficient for use as i have read that for the Cerebral Palsy case that Cordlife did in 2009, 80% was used on the then 2 year old girl. Then the customer service or sales person replied that both units will have to be used.

Although opened and managed by doctors, i feel that Stemcord didn't give me the "medical" and "scientific" feeling that i seek and think i will receive. A bit disappointed.

So i proceed with Cordlife.

I am quite surprised by their (customer service and then the sales that i met) knowledge and patience while being bombarded by my questions one after another... (my hubby is scary). Both gave me the same answers and they are very upfront and frank on the limitation of usage now (about or less than 100 diseases, mostly so rare that i didnt hear before) as many applications are still under clinical trials. Cordlife have great experiences to share on the transplants that they had done for their clients although not all are officially published (aside for the highly publicized Cerebral Palsy case).

In term of price, i am sure they are more expensive but the price plans are quite flexible and comparable to Stemcord. That makes me drill into other benefits, which I feel worth it as the "perks" that they add into the package (some insurance plan during pregnancy) are very useful and value for money. If i get such a pregnancy insurance out in the market, it is going to cost more. Other perks that they give are more "touching the heart" or at least i feel the girl i spoke to is someone with lots of passion and beliefs.

Most importantly, they have been using the same 80%-20% bag since they started ops in SG and this tells me a lot on the way they do business- Consistency. As for being listed, ok... i don't know and dont care much, but at least the business is more transparent and they are financially sound. That's good enough to know.

They also have the cord lining plan (which i postpone to hear more about) as that will be too much info for me and hubby. The girl i spoke to was so patient and not pushy or defensive which makes me sure i am going for Cordlife service. What matters most is even my hubby is convinced!
wow, that's a LOT of research! kudos!! thanks for sharing all that you know. *thumbs up*

OMG 4 tubes?!! and i thought 2 bags are bad enough. thank god i wasn't swayed by the idea of putting #2's cord blood in different company thinking of it like an investment; it would have been a wrong move!

thanks for your regards and congrats to you on your #1! :):D i was in TMC for both deliveries. for my #1, i had the 2-bed suite, but decided to upgrade to single so that my hubby can stay overnight with me. and we've been recommending our relatives and friends to go for single suite if they dont mind paying more for the comfortable and privacy. so we opted for single suite straight away the 2nd time round. you might want to consider going for single too, doesnt matter which hospital you go to.
Thanks for the tip! Guess going for 1 bedded may get me more rest. Exciting!

oh dear oh dear!!
My colleague from Indonesia office sent me this link! I am glad i did not store with Stemcord (Stem Cord). They lost their clients' sample in Singapore for those who delivered in Indonesia!

I think i need to share this!!
http://news.detik.com/read/2013/08/...ura-terdakwa-dituntut-2-tahun-bui?nd771104bcj
(Translated to English by the news)

Wednesday, 21/08/2013 20:14 PM

Umbilical Cord Blood disappearance cases in Singapore , Defendant Charged 2 Years Bui Rivki - detikNews Jakarta - PT Krista Medika Yuri Commissioner Praises Listiyani and the Board of Commissioners of PT Krista Medika Dr. RR R Nani Permadhi Kolopaking , demanded two years in prison . They were prosecuted for the alleged loss of the umbilical cord belongs Julita Indrawadi Suryadi banked umbilical cord StemCord LTD , which is located in Singapore .

Public Prosecutor ( PP ) Iskandar Fahmi , the two officials demanded PT Krista who is a partner bank umbilical cord StemCord LTD Singapore branch with fraud section . Both are accused of violating Article 378 of the Criminal Code in conjunction with Article 372 of the Criminal Code offense of fraud and embezzlement .

" The defendant legally and convincingly violated Articles 378 and 372 of the Criminal Code Juncto Article 55 of the Criminal Code , so that the defendants 1 and 2 sued defendant for two years in prison , " prosecutor demanded Fahmi in demand session that was held at the Central Jakarta District Court ( PN Central Jakarta ) , Jl Gajah Mada , Wednesday ( 21/08/2013 ) .

The demands on the Julita pleaded not satisfied . The reason is not the maximum sentence under article given . As you know, Article 378 and 372 of the Criminal Code has a maximum prison threat 4.5 years in prison . Obviously , this demand is only half of the maximum sentence .

" In addition, the defendants were often not present at the hearing therefore we consider them uncooperative and we expect maximum punished , " said Julita lawyer , Gabriel Goa after the hearing at Central Jakarta District Court .

Gabriel is still asking why the umbilical cord which is owned by Ms. Julita not be presented as evidence . Assembly to that question assumes that the umbilical cord was in Singapore . Thus it is not the authority of the jurisdiction of Indonesia .

This case began when Julita storing umbilical cord third child on August 10, 2006 . He spend their money of SGD 2 thousand and had to pay SGD 267 per year dues .

In 2010 when he was about to take the umbilical cord , titipannya objects lost somewhere and never accused of making payments or annual dues .

Is an investment bank umbilical cord future health because cord blood contains stem cells that can help repair damaged tissue . In medicine , stem cells or stem cells are used to replenish the body after cancer treatment .

Hi mummies,

I have store my #1 cord blood under Cordlife. Now having #2 & was thinking to go for Cordlife too. Would it be further discount? Or benefits? Can get voucher too?

Hi mummies,

I have store my #1 cord blood under Cordlife. Now having #2 & was thinking to go for Cordlife too. Would it be further discount? Or benefits? Can get voucher too?
Hi angel_loi, I've stored for my #2 with Cordlife again and repeat client do get to enjoy a lower rate but I can't remember how much exactly cos i leave it to my husband as he is the one who helped put in the funds into baby's CDA account for deduction. :p I signed up at one of the baby fairs at expo so i got some vouchers too.

Cordlife also stores baby's umbilical cord lining because there are 2 different kind of stem cells in it. as mentioned earlier in this thread (if you look back), i decided to store for my #2 since i probably won't be planning for #3 and dont wanna waste the chance to store, even though i have to pay more to store more. but the pricing is reasonable and i could use credit card instalment so why not. you can read up about cord lining banking at their website -> http://www.cordlifetech.com/ or download their brochures and information from https://www.cordlife.com/sg/en/download-information-pack to have a read at what's updated for both cord blood and cord lining.

hope this helps and congrats to your #2! :)

Hi mummies,

I personally think it will be fairer to have each cord blood for each child... Furthermore, i read that if there are any sibling transplants required, it could help... I saw in Cordlife's website about a leukemia case where sibling cord blood was used... And the latest news on own cord blood being used for some brain injuries, cos after all, the worse thing that can happen to using the child's own cord blood is - nothing happens. I feel it's much safer... I'm not thinking about #2 yet, hahaha... But if i have, i will definitely not deprive and take on this option, it's just $250 every birthday of my child, i take it as a gift for him... (As long as cord blood can use CDA, i don't mind paying for this service!)

Hi mummies,

Yes, after 2 days of discussion with my hubby we decided to store for our #2. I'm going to deliver soon on next mth. This mth will make a trip down to Cordlife booth to sign the package at baby expo. Thanks so much for the sharing. Appreciated!

Anyone sign any package with Cordlife on this year? What's their price range? Heard that they have increase their price. My #1 I also sign for 10 years. Now regret never sign direct for 21 years.. Price have been increased by 10 years later.

Hi mummies,

Yes, after 2 days of discussion with my hubby we decided to store for our #2. I'm going to deliver soon on next mth. This mth will make a trip down to Cordlife booth to sign the package at baby expo. Thanks so much for the sharing. Appreciated!

Anyone sign any package with Cordlife on this year? What's their price range? Heard that they have increase their price. My #1 I also sign for 10 years. Now regret never sign direct for 21 years.. Price have been increased by 10 years later.

Hi Angel,

Congrats to your 2nd preg!!

I took up the annual plan. The price is still $1000 odd, (not more than $2000 i am sure) but i cant remember what is the exact figure cos i opt to use CDA Account to pay. However, you dont have to worry. Cos i heard from the Sales person that the annual storage fee is $250 and this figure of $250 has not changed or increase since they started operation. And $250 a year is very affordable as compared to life insurance.

Stemcord increases their fees quite often from $250 to $260 to $275 over the years. Moreover, they claimed that their first year is free, but when i question further, i realise that is not the case. Cos the first year is included in the upfront payment. Plus the 4 vials and 2 bags that they claimed.... i Feel that they are not honest in their communication. so i drop my idea storing my baby's precious with them.

Hope it helps.

Hi Angel,

Congrats to your 2nd preg!!

I took up the annual plan. The price is still $1000 odd, (not more than $2000 i am sure) but i cant remember what is the exact figure cos i opt to use CDA Account to pay. However, you dont have to worry. Cos i heard from the Sales person that the annual storage fee is $250 and this figure of $250 has not changed or increase since they started operation. And $250 a year is very affordable as compared to life insurance.

Stemcord increases their fees quite often from $250 to $260 to $275 over the years. Moreover, they claimed that their first year is free, but when i question further, i realise that is not the case. Cos the first year is included in the upfront payment. Plus the 4 vials and 2 bags that they claimed.... i Feel that they are not honest in their communication. so i drop my idea storing my baby's precious with them.

Hope it helps.

Ok, I will check it out with the salesperson/ consultant during their baby expo for the renewal & sign another package for my #2 too. Thanks for all the info.

In order for you to collect enough blood to bank, you will have to clamp and cut the cord immediately after birth. Do you know what risks you are putting the baby in when you do so?

“To clamp the cord immediately is equivalent to subjecting the infant to a massive hemorrhage, because almost a fourth of the fetal blood is in the placental circuit at birth.”
[Windle, 1969]

http://motheroffact.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/evidence-based-medicine-immediate-cord-clamping/

Hi Thinkingmummy,

Thanks for sharing! I had this concern during my pregnancy as well and did extensive research through Google and also asked my O&G on this.

Most Singapore Drs or mainly most O&G around the developed countries do not practice a 2 minute delayed clamping. And so be it the parents sign up for Cord blood banking or not, the doctors will not specifically delay the clamping of the cord. And so far what are the incidents you have heard in singapore babies on suffering from Massive Hemorrhage?

New Mummies are extra vulnerable to scary information like this online, especially the 1st time mummies. I believe all doctors are well trained and educated for years before they practice as a Specialist in hospitals and clinics. They will be the best person to know what is right and what should be done. Therefore I think new mummies should consult and hear from their own doctors on this topic if they are keen to store their baby's cord blood.

I was digging my folders and happen to find two of the few UPDATED articles/clinical paper that i saved while researching during my pregnancy.

Google on:
1) Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal & neonatal outcomes.
the cochran collaboration 2009
2) Effect of delayed versus early umbilical cord clamping on neonatal outcomes & iron status at 4 months.
BMJ2001 j 343:d7157 doi10.1136/bmj.d7157

By the way, no one will know and can predict what will happen in 2 years or even 50 years time.

Cord blood is not just for your family members who already suffered from diseases.... who can guarantee their own child will be healthy even before birth and till he or she is 40 years old? People who don't believe in advanced medical treatment should not be stopping other people who do.
I believe everyone deserve a chance to be informed with correct information.

Cheers

In order for you to collect enough blood to bank, you will have to clamp and cut the cord immediately after birth. Do you know what risks you are putting the baby in when you do so?
“To clamp the cord immediately is equivalent to subjecting the infant to a massive hemorrhage, because almost a fourth of the fetal blood is in the placental circuit at birth.” [Windle, 1969]

http://motheroffact.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/evidence-based-medicine-immediate-cord-clamping/
If this is the case, then hundreds of thousands of babies would have this issue already... All my friends, including myself have banked... Our gynaes didn't mention anything of this sort.

I believe in scientific facts and what i saw were the successful examples and medical advancements of cord blood...

Hi Thinkingmummy,

Thanks for sharing! I had this concern during my pregnancy as well and did extensive research through Google and also asked my O&G on this.

Most Singapore Drs or mainly most O&G around the developed countries do not practice a 2 minute delayed clamping. And so be it the parents sign up for Cord blood banking or not, the doctors will not specifically delay the clamping of the cord. And so far what are the incidents you have heard in singapore babies on suffering from Massive Hemorrhage?

New Mummies are extra vulnerable to scary information like this online, especially the 1st time mummies. I believe all doctors are well trained and educated for years before they practice as a Specialist in hospitals and clinics. They will be the best person to know what is right and what should be done. Therefore I think new mummies should consult and hear from their own doctors on this topic if they are keen to store their baby's cord blood.

I was digging my folders and happen to find two of the few UPDATED articles/clinical paper that i saved while researching during my pregnancy.

Google on:
1) Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal & neonatal outcomes.
the cochran collaboration 2009
2) Effect of delayed versus early umbilical cord clamping on neonatal outcomes & iron status at 4 months.
BMJ2001 j 343:d7157 doi10.1136/bmj.d7157

By the way, no one will know and can predict what will happen in 2 years or even 50 years time.

Cord blood is not just for your family members who already suffered from diseases.... who can guarantee their own child will be healthy even before birth and till he or she is 40 years old? People who don't believe in advanced medical treatment should not be stopping other people who do.
I believe everyone deserve a chance to be informed with correct information.

Cheers
Hey that makes sense. Even if you do not opt in for cord blood banking, gynaes don't specifically delay the clamping of the cord anyways. Kudos to your research. What a well-informed mum and you certainly spend your time on doing research!

Back