Coping with childcare

Hihi! My kid just started childcare and is displaying signs of separation anxiety. Hope to share experience on how to help her cope better. Thanks!

Hi there..my boy also started childcare a month ago and also cried every morning before going to school. But when reached there, when the teachers carry him, he stopped crying. But he still cries occasionally in the centre. I can understand what you are going thru. It is really heartpain for us parents to see them "suffer".

But since going to cc., he was sick almost every week and also already suffered 2 falls with bruises.

I decided to "give up", and withdraw him!

Hi happily13,

Yes, my kid is still crying in the mornings after 1 month. Aizz... We tried different strategies (like only 1 person send her to sch instead of the previous 3 adults, let her roll her own trolley bag like the big kor kors and jie jies) but so far not much use. But like you mentioned, she stopped crying within 5-10 mins after we left (my mum spied on her from outside the centre). So guess all we can do is wait for the little ones to "outgrow" themselves.

As for illness, so far our girl is still ok. She did have a flu once but nothing too major. We are thinking of bringing her for flu vaccine this week as advised by the PD during her last routine vaccination. PD strongly encouraged the flu vaccine for children attending childcare, so you might like to check out this? As for the falls, it's best that you communicate your concerns to the teachers in school. Since they are the youngest children in school, the teachers usually pay them more attention compared to older kids.

Jiayou to this learning journey for our little ones =)

I can totally understand both your frustrations!

My #3 just started childcare last week, and so far she seems ok when daddy drops her off. But when I drop her off, she cries. :( This week she started taking school bus in the morning with #2, no crying but always pout and look sad. But if you ask her if she wants to go to school, she always says "yes".

So far remarks from her teachers/caregivers have been okay, but at home she is very very quiet now – very unlike her previous chirpy talkative active self. I think maybe too tired from whole day CC and the allotted nap-time is not long enough for her. She has also started to become very "sticky" and wants to be carried all the time, and even wanting us to pat her to sleep. Last time you could hardly get her to sit still, and when it's sleeping time, she always scream at us to get out of her room!

Somehow letting her start CC seems to have made her regress... I would consider withdrawing her as well, except the slots are very very limited in my area. The only reason she managed to get into any CC at all is because of "sibling priority" cos my #2 is still attending there.

Hi shelled,

I only have one kid so can't comment on personal experiences of having 2 kids going to CC. But heard from friends with more kids, they said that the elder kid can actually help to settle the younger one in school. As in when the younger one cry, the teachers will ask the elder kid to help pacify (and it seems to work since it's someone he/she is familiar with).

In our case, the first 2 weeks was actually the most stressful week (which was the reason that I started this thread). The child was clingy, insecure, afraid of neighbours that she usually greets, even woke up in fright at night. Exactly like what you mentioned, the child regressed =( Good thing was after 3-4 weeks, she is back to her usual self at home. No more clingy, no more insecurity, very friendly, bedtime is excellent now. Only thing is her nap time is still screwed, so her bedtime gets shift forward by an hour from last time.

Btw, since your #2 also attends cc, can share your experience on how to cope with some difficulties that your #2 faced =)

Last edited:
Hi all, am following this thread as I just started to send my boy to 1/2day CC 2 days ago. Some cryings here and there while I kept him company for 1st 2 days. Today I just let go and didn't follow in after taking temperature. Hopefully he's ok and dun cry so much. Now having my phone next to me in case the school calls for help...

Hi tungchia2301,

Yes, my boy having all the behaviours that you have mentioned. He looks very sad, cried every morning when going to school and also start to have nightmares at night.

My mum also peeped into the cc. Agape Little Uni at Clementi and saw my boy still crying in class even after 1 hr. The teacher did not try to console or attend to him. This is the last straw.

My boy is only 22 months and still cannot tell whether he enjoy school and like the teachers etc. But from his behaviour, he really dislike this cc. He is a very happy boy at home when he didnt attend it.

Remarks from cc. teachers are always positive as they will try to retain you. But please do see it for yourself and "listen" to your kids!

Hi happily13,

I agree that the staff at the centre will mostly give positive feedback, not sure is it because they have seen worse cases or (as you mentioned) just trying to retain us.

As both of us work, my mum is actually the day time caregiver for my kid and she does peep into class from time to time. Like I said, the first 2 weeks, we (my mum, hubby and myself) were actually quite worried in the sudden downturn in my kid's behaviour after going to school. Nevertheless, we decided to give her more time to adapt and only recently we see some positive changes in her. I can't judge for any centre or any kid, except sharing what we had gone through with my kid in her centre. Having said that, I am not saying my kid has fully adapted because she still cries every morning when going to school, she doesn't take her nap 95% of the time (until my mum picks her up at 3pm and she goes back home to sleep) and she resists to cc teachers showering her (so the teachers suggested cleaning her butt, hands, legs, face for hygiene purpose, but they will not shower her until she shows that she is ready). We also hope to eventually stretch her till 5pm.

I also agree on you regarding the "listen" to your kids part. Some signs that we are encouraged to continue sending my kid back to her cc: 1. when we ask her where is she going every morning, she will happily tell us "xue xiao" (she only starts crying when it comes to saying bye bye at the school gate), 2. she can also tell her that xue xiao got kor kor jie jie etc. Although she still cannot articulate that well (my girl is 19 months), her behaviour tells us she actually enjoys going to school except the bye bye part.

Finally, I believe us, as the parents, will want the best for our own kids. If you feel that the cc is the problem, go ahead to change another cc. For us, we are comfortable with the cc, but still coping with some adjustment issues.

Hi pnut,

Welcome to this thread. We are all still in the learning process on how to help our kids to adapt, feel free to share your experience =)

tungchia2301,
My #1 and #2 did not have any problems when entering CC at all! I'm not sure if it's a gender issue (both of them are boys) or just a personality trait. #1 started full day CC at 3 yrs old. #2 started at 18 months exactly in a bid to "follow korkor". Neither of them regressed or behaved differently in the early weeks, only issue is that they are more tired due to long hours of playing at CC and shorter nap times.

Today I let my #3 skip CC. last night she was whispering all the time while talking. And refused to go to bed unless I carried her and sat in our nursing rocker. So I asked her "tomorrow don't go to school ok?" Suddenly she grinned and spoke loudly: "OKAY!" And she was back to her usual self for the rest of the night and today.

She's 22 months old, so she can articulate via combination of talking and baby signing. She likes going to school but I guess just needs some time to adjust to a different schedule and not having me around all the time...

Hi shelled,

It's great that you had no problem with your 2 elder boys. I think that's why each kid is unique in his/her way.

You mentioned that this week is week 2 for your #3. Mine was also the most difficult when she was at week 2. Maybe week 1 was refreshing for her, week 2 was when reality kicked in, so by weeks 3 and 4 it became better as she adapted bit by bit. Hang in there mummy! Hopefully you will see improvements soon =)

Just a side note: Hubby and I got woken up by my girl this morning at 630am with her singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep...". Don't know to laugh or to cry. But it's a sign that she really enjoys school =)

Today is Day 4 for my boy. Didn't resist following the teacher into the class this morning and looks happy when I picked him up. Ytd cried for about 20 mins after realising I was gone. But according to teacher, there were no tears...haha!

pnut:
How does your boy cry without tears? Or the teacher is lying? :D

tungchia2301:
This morning #3 cried when we tried to send her up the bus. My heart broke and I wanted to cry. :( Funny how it feels like someone is trying to break up me and my baby!!! I never felt this way with my 2 elder boys. Maybe cos they are boys lah, can't wait to send them far far away or something. hahahaha

Somehow I think boys just generally adjust better. Maybe cos they have no conscience (没有良心) as long as they get to play and have food to eat, they won't think of mommy anymore. :p

Hi shelled,
Teacher didn't lie... while I was there for first 2 days, there's also no tears when he cried... he can stop crying immediately when I carried him... dun need much effort to pacify one... haha!

I guessed the teachers can win him over with food... Feedback was he eats a lot... 2 slices of sandwich, 2 bowls of macaroni, 2 bowls of porridge... They are surprised by the appetite of this 18mth old boy :p

Last edited:
OH! This is what we call "drama crying". :p
My girl does that a lot. First the pout... then when no one seems to care, cry LOUD LOUD (but no tears). Just trying to get attention.

My girl is the same! Very greedy lil thing. The one time I dropped her off at CC, I only managed to leave because it was tea time (around 10.30am). She was so happy and busy with her macaroni soup, she stopped drama-ing, waved me bye bye and continued eating. lol

I think we should both be glad that food is a great distraction and comfort to our kids!

Pnut,
Sounds like your boy is doing very well! Haha.. Maybe he is just trying his luck, then realised 'cry' no use, so he decided to save his effort. So smart!

Shelled,
Maybe #3 is the youngest and a girl, that's why you more xin teng her. Must think of the positive things that she can learn in school, which is why you are sending her there in the first place =)

tungchia,
To be honest I don't think they learn much in school at this age... :p
I just want to hold onto my baby girl forever!

Haha.. When I said learning, I don't mean paper knowledge. Coz mine is the first grandchild from both sides. We hope that she can be more independent, mingle with friends her age, and most importantly she should really there's no special treatment in school. Such soft skills are important for her :)

If you really can't bear seeing baby girl cry, why not consider half day? Maybe full day too much for her to adapt?

Half day is not "economic" (as per what the husband says). And because of subsidy applications, it's a bit too much trouble to reapply when she switches from half day to full day.

Ytd my boy was quite cranky in class... maybe forgot all abt 'school concept' after the weekend... teacher carried and comfort him and end up he slept for a good half an hour... bet the teacher's arms and shoulder were tired after that :p Was in happy mood again after he woke up cos it was lunch time.

shelled,
I'm paying full day rate but fetching my boy at noon. My elder gal is in the same school but under flexicare (4 hr prog) so I picked them together... also because dun wish to 'torture' the poor boy not seeing mommy whole day... will see how well he can adapt and ideally will try putting him there longer hours while I coach my elder gal in the afternoons.

pnut,
I wish I could do that too, but it's just really hard to coordinate... I live near Boon Keng MRT station and the CC is in Macpherson/Kallang area – about 4-5 bus stops away. I don't drive, neither do we own a car. I fetch my #1 around 1.30pm when he finishes primary school, and then it's lunch and homework coaching until the school bus sends my #2 and #3 back around 5.45pm. In between that, I still have to work from home and do the housework. (No maid. :( )

Honestly, this year has been very trying. It's been extremely tiring since the start of the year, shuttling between work and 3 kids' schedules. Doesn't help that HDB is building some new flats right outside all our bedroom windows! So instead of cleaning house weekly, I basically have to do twice a week a least thanks to the construction dust. sigh. :confused:

Hi shelled,
Hugs to u... I totally understand what crazy schedule u have (except the working part as I am a SAHM)...
I have no helper too and 'bao ka liao' from washing to cooking, coax and play with the young ones... non-stop cleaning the of the hse whenever there's time (yes, same situation as you, I have a 3 blocks BTO that started last yr going on right in front of our place!) Just mopping balcony alone the pail of water becomes 'kopi-o'! And the construction noises that disrupt the kids' nap...

Dear Mummies,
My baby is 18 months and thinking to send him for playgroup in woodlands. Probably, I will choose either Kinderland (Civic Center) or MMI ( Vista Point ).
Kindly advice which one is better for to toddler playgroup. Appreciate any feedback.

Hi htinhtin,
No comments of the 2 ctrs u've listed. However, I suggest you pay a visit to the ctrs and see for yourself how the ctrs operate and how they manage toddlers (u may wish to consider the size of the classes and speak to the playgroup teachers). Chatting up with the existing parents of the children from the schools helps too (that is if u can manage to 'catch' them when they are picking up their kids from the ctrs).

Hi htinhtin,
No comments of the 2 ctrs u've listed. However, I suggest you pay a visit to the ctrs and see for yourself how the ctrs operate and how they manage toddlers (u may wish to consider the size of the classes and speak to the playgroup teachers). Chatting up with the existing parents of the children from the schools helps too (that is if u can manage to 'catch' them when they are picking up their kids from the ctrs).

Thank you pnut for the advise!

My girl was crying as usual on her way into the school gate on Mon. I passed her the water bottle and told her to pass to a teacher inside. She carried her bottle crying, but continue to walk into the school herself. I then went to put her shoes into the pigeon hole. The next moment I turned around, she had already stopped crying, and looking at other kids playing. All these within 2 minutes! Haha..

Unfortunately, she had to skip school for Tue and Wed because of very bad flu and cough. Praying hard that her good behaviour will not be affected by this absence.

Pnut, shelled,
Hubby and I gave up on housework after the kid was born. Other than the laundry and occasional ironing, we got a part time helper who comes every fortnightly. Since no one is around in the day time, the dirty level is still bearable.

Mine has been taking the school bus all week without incident - except Wed morning when she insisted on bringing her unfinished breakfast up the bus... I had to find a small container to let her "ta bao" the biscuits. She was never one to waste food! In fact, she was the one shouting "faster! faster! go press lift!" cos her 2 older brothers are dilly-dally experts. lol

Oh, another thing: Are your kiddies going to bed earlier? My girl surrenders by 7.30pm and sleeps all the way til 7am when we wake her for the school bus. I've had to start preparing dinner much earlier this week cos she eats when she's back, plays a bit, then goes crazy and wants to go to bed already. -_- Don't even get to spend decent time with her. :(
Also had to upsize her diapers to XXL size mamy poko so her diaper doesn't leak in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping! lol

htinhtin
Actually you might want to give both centres a call and see if they have any vacancies first. I've heard from most centres that year 2012 had an exceptional number of babies (due to year of Dragon) so unless both have vacancies, you actually might be left with no option! Sorry for being a wet blanket, but that happened to me. :( Which is why my #3 ended up going to a CC that's not convenient.

pnut,
I miss the days of being just a SAHM, it was so much more relaxed. No boss sending emails all the time, whatsapp-ing me asking me to do work... But I don't miss being poor and not having a single cent to my name. My husband has never given me any "SAHM allowance", so on and off I've always been working from home, depending on what jobs I can get. Plus it's always nice to be able to buy stuff for the kids and myself without needing someone else's permission - my money, I spend it however I want! No need for accountability. :p

You reminded me of what my dad's girlfriend said to me during CNY: "You stay at home what! Why need to put your girl in childcare?!" I rolled my eyes until they flipped backwards. o_O

tungchia2301,
Your girl sounds like she's adapting well! YAY! Sometimes I think we take much longer to adapt than they do :p
Sometimes after skipping a day or two, they need to re-adapt. My #2 still does that even at K1 level. After a few days "holiday", suddenly the idea of going back to CC is unpleasant... Dunno why leh. Holiday mood? lol

I've always wanted a part-time helper, but I guess I'm too "picky" for others to clean up my house for me. I keep looking at my window grilles wondering who I can outsource that cleaning to! hahahaha

P.S. I know that's a whole chunk of text. But paiseh lah, nowhere to unload. Sorry for ranting!!

Hi all

just to share..i am enrolling my daughter for next year in take in the preschool for 18th months playgroup
To my surprise, there is 1 center manager told me that there are parents so kiasu that they have already confirm for 2016 intake.
I am writing in to be on waitlist for my first skool as it is just opp my house,cross the road.it is convience .
I have ask them when can you let me know whether there is vacancies as I cannot always wait and wait for you guys to call.
they keep telling me that we can advise on that.very angry!
end up I have decided to give up my first skool.
anyone encounter that for other preschools?
pls share

Finally sending back my girl to school after 2 days absent. Surprise surprise! No hangover today :D Initially she was crying when taking temperature. When she heard another kid coming in crying much louder than her, she stopped and gave the kid a "Har.. Why are you crying" look. Then she walked into classroom to play with the kids without even turning around to say bye bye to me! Best part is, when I came out from the cc, grandma and hubby were saying she cry until so kelian. I told them that's not her. She is already happily playing away. Hahahaha...

htinhtin,
No special tips for choosing a cc. We just went for the closest available one near our house. Another 2 centres nearby didn't guarantee us a place, and we wanted a confirmed place once my kid reached 18 months (started sourcing around when she was 12 months). Of course, we visited all 3 centres beforehand but didn't find any that we particularly dislike.

shelled,
Wow! You are the power mummy! Looking after kids x3, working, cleaning, cooking,... Amazing! On the other hand, I am the laziest one here. Full time working, look after 1 kid (share workload with hubby), no need to clean or cook... And still complaining tired! Opps. :oops:

Yes, my girl goes to sleep by 8-830pm (before she went school, it was 9-930pm). So every night is a mad rush when we get home at 720pm. Need to shower her, feed her some fruits (because she has a history of constipation), feed her milk, brush teeth etc. Hardly any time to play with her on weekdays. So she will stick with us the entire weekends. And the cycle repeats itself when Mon comes. Diapers-wise, we are using Nepia L size for her. Hubby and I will take turns to do night duty, and change her diapers once throughout the night (range from 1-4am, depending on what time we can get up).

marc jacob,
Yes, some centres do not want to confirm a place. My kid was supposed to start in Mar, and 2 of the centres were willing to confirm if there's any place for her only in Feb (both promised to call us back in Feb, but only one of them eventually called). Because we didn't want to end up with no place in Feb, we eventually placed our kid in the third centre that confirmed.

Marc Jacob,
Actually I went through the exact same thing with First Skool. The centre manager told me waiting list is 90 pax long, as some parents already out their 2012 kids on the list since 2011 - before the babies were even born!! Really super kiasu.

Personally I feel most of the CC with branches can mostly be struck off the list. Usually ppl "reserve" spaces for the kids way in advance. Try those smaller single institution CCs, you might have better luck. My kids are in one of those now.

Tungchia,
Constipation? Check her formula milk? My #1 used to have that problem too, along with frequent phelgmy cough. When we switched him to UHT milk packs completely, it was cured!

I am not power. Just powerless to change the situation. Haizzzz

shelled,
Doubt if it's the formula. More like her bad habit. She can go up to days with no poop since 3 months old, even when I was still breastfeeding her. Nowadays, her poop is once every 2-3days. When we see that her poop is coming soon, we will ask her want to go potty. And she always says no, and try to hold back by crossing her legs! Then we just drag her to the potty and sure enough, the poop comes out.

shelled,
i think too many parents enroll my first skool as it is under ntuc and the fees are cheap.
i have to look for other alternatives quickly otherwise next year my daughter no preschool to attend.

tungchia,
can feed her with prune junice from del monte.my pd said advise that.
i have tried that on my daughter .whenever she switch formula, she will have constipation problem
so i feed her pruce juice and it's works for her.
you can try and give ur gal .

Just to share on my first skool. My boy ( born 2010) is with MFS. We put him on waiting list before he turned 1 yr old and MFS only took him in when he was 32 mths. The waiting list was indeed long. When he was 18 mths, I put him in a private CC while waiting for MFS but it doesn't work out. My boy hated the CC and was crying non-stop for hrs everyday in the CC. We pulled him out from there after 4 mths and put him into those 2-3hrs playgroup class with another school. He was ok with the school. MFS managed to confirm a place for him in dec 2012. We then pulled him out from the playgroup and send him to there. He coped well with the transition too. For my #2, I placed her into the MFS waiting list the moment I got her BC. She will be turning 18 mths in July and I have been telling the principle to give her priority since my boy is already in the school. She will only confirm in may. Guess this is the standard mode of operation for MFS. Quite a fair system I feel. Rich or poor still needs to Q.

Before enrolling my boy to current childcare, I've tried calling all the ctrs near my plc... my first skool has the longest waiting list (200+ in the queue... alamak! I didn't even bother to leave my name)... An admin of my first skool told me a lot of parents are being kiasu and 'put their eggs in many baskets'...register their children with every possible ctr... and they don't have courtesy to withdraw the names even when the children has already enrolled in another ctr... so in actual fact the waiting list could be shorter.

tungchia,
I used to have a PT helper who comes by weekly... but since boy started going CC this mth, I told her I only need her once a mth... meanwhile have to clean myself cos it's really really dusty staying next to a construction site (even though my doors and windows are closed with ac turned on almost 24/7... dunno how the dust find their way in).

shelled,
I missed being financially independent too... no official SAHM allowance from hubby... but he will top up my ac monthly after I spent (mostly on groceries and kids' stuff)... not so ideal that I go back to work as I dun want to employ helper... my nature of work will require long hours of commitment and wont be able to pick up the children in time from CC... already hubby is always working late, returning home earliest at 8 plus... wont be so healthy for the children not to see and interact with both parents for long hours... My best return for being a SAHM is the strong bonding built with my children... tired but worth it :rolleyes:

Before enrolling my boy to current childcare, I've tried calling all the ctrs near my plc... my first skool has the longest waiting list (200+ in the queue... alamak! I didn't even bother to leave my name)... An admin of my first skool told me a lot of parents are being kiasu and 'put their eggs in many baskets'...register their children with every possible ctr... and they don't have courtesy to withdraw the names even when the children has already enrolled in another ctr... so in actual fact the waiting list could be shorter.

Eh... then I guess you stay in Sengkang/Punggol area? Cos when I was on the phone with First Skool, they told me the centre near me 90 pax wait list is considered OKAY liao hor. Cos Sengkang/Punggol area centres are minimum 150 pax wait list.... :p

I agree on the perks of being a SAHM! When the kids are in need, they will call for MUMMY and not AUNTIE. When the kids haven't open their mouths, we already know what they are thinking! lol

I hate the idea of my kids being close to a stranger, so while we did try out having a maid for about 6 months back in 2011, it totally didn't work out. The maid hor... wash plates also not clean! Housework slipshod, can't cook, and we still have to pay her?! So I quit my full-time job and went back to being SAHM lah. Anyway at that point I also accidentally got pregnant with #3. hahahaha But one good thing about having a helper – you get to spend more quality time with your hubby. Because finally can outsource the kids to someone else for a few hours. That point I do miss quite a lot.

shelled,
i think too many parents enroll my first skool as it is under ntuc and the fees are cheap.
i have to look for other alternatives quickly otherwise next year my daughter no preschool to attend.

I don't feel First Skool is particularly cheap lor. All my kids went to MacPherson Sheng Hong Childcare Centre [click name to go to their website]. Their fees are $700/month; after working mom subsidy (because I actually work more than 56hrs/month from home) and additional subsidies (for poor people lol), my kids' fees go down to $200+ per child leh. If you utilise the dollar-for-dollar in the kids' CDA, each month we can get by with only depositing $200 into the CDA and wait for govt to match-up, then the school can deduct full sum of fees for both my kids!! The school bus fees can't use CDA, but it's very economical at $80/child for 2-way trip. Much cheaper than if I were to take SBS bus to send/fetch them!

The school admin are SUPER helpful too. They offered to help us apply for additional subsidy via PCI (per capita income) because they know my husband is technically the sole breadwinner. My work-from-home salary is a measly $640/month. Based on our PCI, we can actually get a lot more subsidies, as she said: "one full-time salary raising 3 kids... not easy. We will try to help you get more subsidy!" <3

They also have those optional stuff like Speech & Drama and Art classes at a subsidised rate. Used to have swimming too, when my #1 was in K1. What I love BEST about this CC is that it is NOT at the void deck. They have their own school compound like some of those expensive Montessori CC in East Coast area, so they have their own "canteen", indoor and outdoor playground, a sand pit and an area for the kids to cycle! The kids "upgrade" one floor up each year. By the time they go to K2, they end up on level 3! (Good exercise.)

Okay, paiseh, this is starting to sound like an advert for their CC. hahahahaha :D But it's background info to support the fact that not just the chain CCs have good reputation, small single CCs can also be really good. Just look around your area using the govt's childcare link service and check them out one by one. If need be, have to choose one further away and take school bus lor.

shelled,
Doubt if it's the formula. More like her bad habit. She can go up to days with no poop since 3 months old, even when I was still breastfeeding her. Nowadays, her poop is once every 2-3days. When we see that her poop is coming soon, we will ask her want to go potty. And she always says no, and try to hold back by crossing her legs! Then we just drag her to the potty and sure enough, the poop comes out.

Hmmm I am just wondering about her digestive system. Because my #1 is like this too, and doctor said some kids just have "sluggish digestive system" so things take a while to move to the back end. :D In fact, even at 7 years old, my #1 is still only pooping every 2-3 days. Doc also mentioned it happens to picky eaters, so things like daily Yakult or prune juice will help. As long as not crying and no blood when pooping, generally no problem lah. My #1 used to cry when pooping, cos of pain caused by stiff poop. My #2 on the other hand, has an "express train". 5 minutes in the toilet everyday! Super fast, super easy. Maybe cos he loves to eat vegetables and fruits since young, and is not picky with food at all.

Marc jacob, shelled,
She used to unload once every 4-5 days, crying in pain and blood in poop. After giving daily yakult, ribena, fruits (prunes, papaya, pear, etc), it shortened to once every 2-3 days. She doesn't like prune juice. Diet wise, she eats most things. She is "picky" in the sense as she specially picks out the vegetables to eat when feeding. Lol. We are just happy she unloads once every 2-3 days. Beyond that, surely will see blood.

No personal experience with MFS. Our main criterion was preferably within walking distance from my mum's place since she will be the one fetching my girl home. And being a small neighbourhood, there's hardly any queue in the 3 cc nearby. I think big estates like amk and new towns like sengkang are where there's huge demand for cc.

shelled,
I stay in AMK. :) Btw, u mentioned additional subsidy? What is that subsidy called? I want to see if I am eligible... spending $1k+ on fees for both kids now.... quite siong...
With the kids ard...tough to even have a proper conversation with hubby... elder gal keep talking and wants us to listen to her... small boy gets jealous and will cry even if I sit next to daddy at the dining table to catch up what went through the day.

shelled,
I stay in AMK. :) Btw, u mentioned additional subsidy? What is that subsidy called? I want to see if I am eligible... spending $1k+ on fees for both kids now.... quite siong...
With the kids ard...tough to even have a proper conversation with hubby... elder gal keep talking and wants us to listen to her... small boy gets jealous and will cry even if I sit next to daddy at the dining table to catch up what went through the day.

As long both parents salary combined, or entire household income is $1500 or less, can get at least additional $100 more subsidy. It is a range, so it all depends on the combined salary of both parents and the registered address of those staying in that house.

No personal experience with MFS. Our main criterion was preferably within walking distance from my mum's place since she will be the one fetching my girl home. And being a small neighbourhood, there's hardly any queue in the 3 cc nearby. I think big estates like amk and new towns like sengkang are where there's huge demand for cc.

Where do you live? Sounds like heaven, not having to queue at all 3 CCs in your area! I thought I was living in an aging estate (at least 60% old folks here) but still the demand is high! Probably due to new housing estate in the area in recent years (City View @ Boon Keng) and maybe some kids are enrolled here because grandparent caregivers are living nearby...

I just gave my boys Vitagen on Friday because #1 hadn't "unloaded" for at least 2 days. About an hour after drinking it, mission was accomplished! Then my #2 went as well. I'm not sure if the Vitagen really is that amazing or just coincidence. :p

shelled,

Actually I just double-checked with the husband yesterday, after the 2 types of subsidy we are actually only paying $180/kid monthly!
$300 - working mom subsidy > Mom must work at least 56 hours per month
$220 - additional working mom subsidy [link to PDF here] > Gross family household income is below $7,500 [[OR]] Per Capita Income* (PCI) of no more than $1,875 per month

* PCI is calculated by dividing household income against number of blood-related dependents living in the same residential address.

I'm not sure if your family would qualify as you mentioned that you are a full-time SAHM? Both subsidies only apply if the mother works at least 56 hours per month... Although there are always methods to override that... PM me!! :D

An update on today's CC status: #3 is skipping school due to a slight fever caused by vaccination on Saturday.
Yesterday I asked her if she wanted to go to school tomorrow, she said "No!" while furiously shaking her head. lol
I'm not keen on the idea of picking her up halfway through the school-day so today we will go lepak around and run errands! <3

Where do you live? Sounds like heaven, not having to queue at all 3 CCs in your area! I thought I was living in an aging estate (at least 60% old folks here) but still the demand is high! Probably due to new housing estate in the area in recent years (City View @ Boon Keng) and maybe some kids are enrolled here because grandparent caregivers are living nearby...

I just gave my boys Vitagen on Friday because #1 hadn't "unloaded" for at least 2 days. About an hour after drinking it, mission was accomplished! Then my #2 went as well. I'm not sure if the Vitagen really is that amazing or just coincidence. :p

Actually I just double-checked with the husband yesterday, after the 2 types of subsidy we are actually only paying $180/kid monthly!
$300 - working mom subsidy > Mom must work at least 56 hours per month
$220 - additional working mom subsidy [link to PDF here] > Gross family household income is below $7,500 [[OR]] Per Capita Income* (PCI) of no more than $1,875 per month

* PCI is calculated by dividing household income against number of blood-related dependents living in the same residential address.
I'm not sure if your family would qualify as you mentioned that you are a full-time SAHM? Both subsidies only apply if the mother works at least 56 hours per month... Although there are always methods to override that... PM me!! :D

My mum stays at Bukit Purmei, small estate with around 15 blocks only. And we stay nearby at Telok Blangah. So it's really convenient. Surprise surprise. My pri school friend's nephew is actually my girl's classmate (my friend told me after I posted some pictures of my girl going to school). It's really that small an estate! Lol...

Shelled,
Yes, it's better to keep her at home after vaccination, esp. since got fever. Don't think the teachers will keep taking temperature like what we do at home. Lol... And I am sure your girl doesn't mind a long weekend either ;)

Usually we carry my girl to school because she will be crying and refuses to walk. Since the past few times she no longer cried, this morning I tried to put her down to see if she was willing to walk to school herself. Before I knew it, she ran to the school on her own and plonked her butt on the bench, waiting for the teacher to take her temp and playing with the teacher's torchlight! Lol... Think she is already more or less fine with minimal/no crying in the mornings :D

Now have to start working on extending the hours (from the current 3pm to the desired 5pm). And the problem is she refuses to nap in school. Hmmm...

Now have to start working on extending the hours (from the current 3pm to the desired 5pm). And the problem is she refuses to nap in school. Hmmm...

I'm sure once she settles in and gets tired, she will nap eventually. Maybe she just "recognises" beds (认床). My girl never settles in when we travel. The first night she is always such a pain, staying up and fussing til 2-3am or later! Then when she starts to settle in, it's always time to go home! hahaha cos we only travel nearby so it's always maximum of 3 nights sleeping in a hotel.

My kids' CC is very particular about kids with fever. After all these years with them, I'd know! They will likely call me around 12-1pm to ask me to pickup my kids if they are detected with fever, even if it was slight fever at 37ºC... My silly baby is still sleeping at this time. I've been waiting for her to get up since 7am!!

It's been awfully quiet here. I'm assuming all the kiddos have settled in good and well?
Hope all of you had an enjoyable long weekend over Good Friday. Another public holiday coming next week! :D

Hi shelled,
Yup yup, little girl is doing great in school now (except for the napping bit). But she hasn't gone to school this week yet because of bad flu. 5 days of no-school! Really long weekend for her :D
How's ur little girl doing?

Meanwhile, I also caught her flu bug. And hubby is off to reservist and won't be back till Sat.
Oh gosh. Sick, and coping with her alone. :(

Back