Conceiving as a single woman

Narrisa

Hey All,

Am stepping into my 32, no luck on a happiness marriage life. As such, I am looking for an option to conceive through donor sperm.

Know that Singapore is not assisting on single mother IVF or IUI. Anyone know where can I do it in Asia ? And can the child still holding same passport as me without a father?

Pls share your experience

Hey All,

Am stepping into my 32, no luck on a happiness marriage life. As such, I am looking for an option to conceive through donor sperm.

Know that Singapore is not assisting on single mother IVF or IUI. Anyone know where can I do it in Asia ? And can the child still holding same passport as me without a father?

maybe u can freeze ur eggs first and try to conceive until you met the right guy?

I was also thinking if I should do this. But Singapore currently doesn't allow social egg freezing; it's only for medical purposes. I found out that there are people who go to Malaysia (KL Fertility Centre and Sunfert International Fertility Centre/ Concept Fertility), Thailand and Australia (Virtus Health) to preserve the eggs. There's storage fee per year, in addition to the egg collection fee.

If you are a Singapore citizen, your child can hold the same passport as you if you give birth in Singapore, even though there's no father registered.

I was also thinking if I should do this. But Singapore currently doesn't allow social egg freezing; it's only for medical purposes. I found out that there are people who go to Malaysia (KL Fertility Centre and Sunfert International Fertility Centre/ Concept Fertility), Thailand and Australia (Virtus Health) to preserve the eggs. There's storage fee per year, in addition to the egg collection fee.

If you are a Singapore citizen, your child can hold the same passport as you if you give birth in Singapore, even though there's no father registered.

There are facilities in Johor too, read many couples go to TMC while JSH has fewer reviews. I suspect due to charges as the latter is private but is set up by famous embryologist from Singapore, Angela. You may google her.

Given there are a few appointments required for the eggs freezing, aside to cost, you will need to consider if you have any logistics, care giver during the entire procedure.

Hey All,

Hi Narisa,

I have gone through the same thread of thinking.

I prepared myself for the whole year, went through a series of test and ended up at IVFA, Sydney for an IUI with donor sperm. I got pregnant but suffered from a chemical pregnancy. My gynae advised that I wait for 2 AF cycles before trying again.

You have my support of being a single mum however, there are many things to consider. You will have to go through some counselling before you make a final decision to do this.

Your child will be able to hold an SC passport if you are a SC however your child will be considered as illegimate in Singapore because our country don't recognize a child without coming from a proper marriage to be a family nucear.

Hi Narisa,

I have gone through the same thread of thinking.

I prepared myself for the whole year, went through a series of test and ended up at IVFA, Sydney for an IUI with donor sperm. I got pregnant but suffered from a chemical pregnancy. My gynae advised that I wait for 2 AF cycles before trying again.

You have my support of being a single mum however, there are many things to consider. You will have to go through some counselling before you make a final decision to do this.

Your child will be able to hold an SC passport if you are a SC however your child will be considered as illegitimate in Singapore because our country don't recognize a child without coming from a proper marriage to be a family nucear.

Hi Lyn , Thank you very much on sharing your experience. Did you successful get pregnant on your first trial? Do you intend to go for next cycle? I am actually mentally and financially prepare for being a single mother. What I worry about is can the child get the equal benefit such as medical care and education service from Singapore government since there is 'no father' declare in its birth cert.

How much did you spend on IVFA Sydney? I am planning to do it at Melbourne branch. How frequent do you travel to Sydney for the checkout before conceive? What things to take into consideration when contacting IVF centre?

How do you choose the sperm donor? May I know which criteria do you use to select for yourself?

My priority is still Asian sperm as I don't want my child to look too different from me as Singapore society will alway question in future.

Hi All,

Some information gathered:
1. Benefits for unwed parents: https://sg.******************/unwed-mothers-can-now-avail-of-single-parent-benefits/
2. The illegitimate child issue can be resolved: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/unwed-mum-adopts-own-biological-daughter

Overall, SG is getting more opened to the idea of single parent. And government seems to be matching the benefits with the married couples.

Personally, i am also trying to get IUI done in Melbourne but due to my work schedule, i am not able to take leave to go through the check-ups (which takes about 1 week) not to say at least 20 days for the actual procedure.

I am trying to look for alternative countries like Thailand etc.

Last edited:
Some families with a single male child going into the army for National Service are worried about their family line.
Some single women are looking for a sperm donor using a syringe or otherwise.
Could these 2 groups be matched ?
There are such matching social media overseas for people who want to conceive and the precautions involved, such as parenting contracts and male health checks.
What do our locals think about this ?

Hi Lyn , Thank you very much on sharing your experience. Did you successful get pregnant on your first trial? Do you intend to go for next cycle? I am actually mentally and financially prepare for being a single mother. What I worry about is can the child get the equal benefit such as medical care and education service from Singapore government since there is 'no father' declare in its birth cert.

How much did you spend on IVFA Sydney? I am planning to do it at Melbourne branch. How frequent do you travel to Sydney for the checkout before conceive? What things to take into consideration when contacting IVF centre?

How do you choose the sperm donor? May I know which criteria do you use to select for yourself?

My priority is still Asian sperm as I don't want my child to look too different from me as Singapore society will alway question in future.

Hi Narrisa

You might want to look into some sites for co-parenting such as modamily, coparents or prideangel. There are sincere donors who are willing to donate through these sites. My partner and I have met our brilliant donor over the website. Not only did he go through all the necessary health examinations, he was understanding and encouraging throughout the process. We chose a non-anonymous donor for many reasons.

We carried out Home ICI in Singapore and failed the first round. However, we are intending to try for 3 -4 more 'live' rounds before looking for a facility in Melb to make logistics less of a headache for all parties. Timing and taking time off is a major hassle.

Keep an open mind, you might also find a very suitable co-parent on one of the site!

Hi Narrisa

You might want to look into some sites for co-parenting such as modamily, coparents or prideangel. There are sincere donors who are willing to donate through these sites. My partner and I have met our brilliant donor over the website. Not only did he go through all the necessary health examinations, he was understanding and encouraging throughout the process. We chose a non-anonymous donor for many reasons.

We carried out Home ICI in Singapore and failed the first round. However, we are intending to try for 3 -4 more 'live' rounds before looking for a facility in Melb to make logistics less of a headache for all parties. Timing and taking time off is a major hassle.

Keep an open mind, you might also find a very suitable co-parent on one of the site!

Hi Abb,

My situation is - I do not have a sperm donor. and not prefer to co-parenting as do not wishes the other party step into my children life.

Furthermore, what do you mean home ICI? My impression in Singapore is that they only help married couples.

Unmarried lady will not get medical treatment from public or private hospital in Singapore.

Share your experiences pls...

Some families with a single male child going into the army for National Service are worried about their family line.
Some single women are looking for a sperm donor using a syringe or otherwise.
Could these 2 groups be matched ?
There are such matching social media overseas for people who want to conceive and the precautions involved, such as parenting contracts and male health checks.
What do our locals think about this ?

My main concern is there is no medical help provided by public or private hospital in Singapore. I prefer not to meet the sperm donor as I just want to raise the children myself.

Hi Abb,

My situation is - I do not have a sperm donor. and not prefer to co-parenting as do not wishes the other party step into my children life.

Furthermore, what do you mean home ICI? My impression in Singapore is that they only help married couples.

Unmarried lady will not get medical treatment from public or private hospital in Singapore.

Share your experiences pls...

Hi Narrisa

First and foremost, you might have issue importing sperm into Singapore or getting any from local banks. However, if you do have a 'live' donor - you may carry this out locally.

ICI - The ICI procedure takes about ten minutes to perform. The health care provider will insert a thin and flexible catheter through the woman's vagina until it reaches the cervix. A syringe filled with the sperm sample is attached to the end of the catheter and used to deposit the sperm around the cervix. A sponge cap may be placed over the cervix to prevent the sperm from leaking out. Women may experience some discomfort during the ICI procedure.

You might need to find a helper to do this. It could be a nurse or even a friend who is certain and comfortable with what he/she is doing. Most importantly, you must be comfortable with the process (try to understand your body a little better). The procedure is quite straightforward. You may also find all the equipment need locally :)

I believe God would make you fertile when he pleases. I am so happy to say this. I have suffered from infertility for 6 years of my marriage. I have gone to so many therapy, taken so many medication I lost count of medication i took. but my colleague at the office introduced me to mother Iya Hindi Herbal, about her herbal remedy, her type of medication and after using it , its effectiveness. after taking it for 1week, I conceived and I gave birth to my little boy, he is 3years old now and I am pregnant again big thanks to colleague for introducing me Mother Iya you can contact at her on [email protected] .Call or WhatsApp.+19145295224 ., if you do seek permanent solution as well.

Hey All,

Hi Narissa, I’m having the same thoughts as you. How are you progressing on your plan?

Hello all

Apologies for the intrusion - happy new year. I stumbled across this forum topic and would be interested to get to know ladies who may be interested in co-parenting (rather than being a single parent). I am a well educated Singaporean male in my early 30s who has not had much success on the relationship front. I believe our prospective friendship and common love for the child would work out nicely.

Looking forward to getting to know you. Good luck and all the best to everyone.

Hi Narissa

I realised that this thread is 2 years old. But I was wondering if you had been successful in conceiving. I too have not have any luck finding someone and settling down. I will be 38 this year and feel that time is running out for me. As such would like to find out from your experience. Thanks!!

Hi Narissa

I’m glad to hear someone of the same age as me sharing the same views. I’ve got a Boyfriend but he has no intentions of having a child. I’ve been looking up for alternatives to doing it alone.

There is a successful case for local celeb Liu Ling Ling who managed to conceive via a sperm donor with a treatment facility in Malaysia.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ohor-bahru-make-babies-ivf-fertility-11441914

I believe the proximity makes it easier for the entire process.

If you like we could get together for a tea and exchange some thoughts, as Im the only one amongst my friends who would consider doing this alone.

It’ll be great to know someone who shares the same ideology.

Cheers,

Hi ladies, I would like to hear your opinion about having a transracial baby through a Caucasian donor. I myself am married and am looking for an egg donor, and it seems that MOH in Singapore allows the import of frozen eggs from a European egg bank. Unfortunately, none of the donors are Asian. There are only Caucasian donors to choose from. Both me and my husband are Chinese. Wondering whether any of you would actually prefer a Caucasian donor over an Asian donor. Do you all see that a Eurasian child is more handsome or beautiful. Would a Eurasian child popping up in an all Asian extended family create problems with grandparents and relatives? Would like to hear your opinion.

Won’t ur relatives or friends ask if ur child feature is different if getting Caucasian donor? U going to tell them u using egg donor? If get from Chinese donor they won’t ask since u are Chinese they will just assume is from ur flesh and blood . For me I will mind as I don’t like to answer those nosy ppl question so I will find one that matches my and hubby profile to save all those trouble. That my opinion.

I would want to donate my eggs if I am younger to bless chance for others unable to conceive. I only know when am already 44. I am now hoping to try for my own pregnancy. I had 6 live birth before at my younger age.

Hi Narissa

I’m glad to hear someone of the same age as me sharing the same views. I’ve got a Boyfriend but he has no intentions of having a child. I’ve been looking up for alternatives to doing it alone.

There is a successful case for local celeb Liu Ling Ling who managed to conceive via a sperm donor with a treatment facility in Malaysia.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ohor-bahru-make-babies-ivf-fertility-11441914

I believe the proximity makes it easier for the entire process.

If you like we could get together for a tea and exchange some thoughts, as Im the only one amongst my friends who would consider doing this alone.

It’ll be great to know someone who shares the same ideology.

Cheers,

Hello

I have also decided on being a SM. I would love to find out more as I intend to do it next year.

Do hit me up if you are interested.

Thanks!

Hi ladies, I would like to hear your opinion about having a transracial baby through a Caucasian donor. I myself am married and am looking for an egg donor, and it seems that MOH in Singapore allows the import of frozen eggs from a European egg bank. Unfortunately, none of the donors are Asian. There are only Caucasian donors to choose from. Both me and my husband are Chinese. Wondering whether any of you would actually prefer a Caucasian donor over an Asian donor. Do you all see that a Eurasian child is more handsome or beautiful. Would a Eurasian child popping up in an all Asian extended family create problems with grandparents and relatives? Would like to hear your opinion.

Well... since 50% of genes isnt 1 of d parent, d chance of d child not looking d like d parents r visible. Does it matter if it's Chinese, caucasian or any other??

Wat u shld b praying 4 wld b a healthy child, n dat u can bring d pregnancy 2 full term.

Hi all, I also have the intention of becoming a single mother. I am 37 years old, and my biological clock is ticking. I love children and would really love to have one of my own. I would love to get to know single women like myself who intend to go down the road of being a single mother. I know it is gonna be a challenging process, from finding information, going for treatment, conceiving successfully, to raising a child. We can be each other's support through this journey. Please do drop me a message if you are interested. Thanks! :)

Hi all, I also have the intention of becoming a single mother. I am 37 years old, and my biological clock is ticking. I love children and would really love to have one of my own. I would love to get to know single women like myself who intend to go down the road of being a single mother. I know it is gonna be a challenging process, from finding information, going for treatment, conceiving successfully, to raising a child. We can be each other's support through this journey. Please do drop me a message if you are interested. Thanks! :)

Hi there, I am glad to hear that you're sharing the same idea as me. I haven't met the right person and I don't want to have the pressure of meeting someone before I can become a mom. I have my own concerns and I would love to hear more from someone likeminded. We could perhaps get in touch somehow?

Hi there, I am glad to hear that you're sharing the same idea as me. I haven't met the right person and I don't want to have the pressure of meeting someone before I can become a mom. I have my own concerns and I would love to hear more from someone likeminded. We could perhaps get in touch somehow?

That would be great!

I feel the same too. Is there any chat group going on ?

Hi angelica,

From my experience of having Eurasian children ..They really stand out. As in they are neither here nor there. When I'm overseas they dun look 100% caucasian and when we r back in sg they dun look 100% Chinese. So ya you can say they hv difficulties fitting in sometimes. But it also all depends on the environment they are put in and if ppl around are supportive or not. As whenever if I go out alone with them in sg without my hb ppl will ask me if my hb is Angmoh. So I suppose it's double the stress if child comes from lesbian couples and being mix Or of from single parentage. You have to just be sure u can handle the fact that people are always judgemental.

Yes, I agree. A Eurasian child will definitely stick out like a sore thumb for a Chinese couple. But just curious about the perspective of single ladies trying to conceive as a single mother. Would a Eurasian child pose similar difficulties for their circle of Asian friends and relatives? Would they actually prefer a Eurasian child? I got this impression from seeing photos of Asian lesbian couples posing with their Eurasian child. Wondering whether there would be a double stigma for the child to fit into a conservative Asian society like Singapore, by being both Eurasian and being a child of lesbian or single parents?

Oh and when i go out alone with my children, I am often charged more or I cannot bargin prices in neighbourhood shops. Ppl see them and concluded im rich cos children are mixed..

I am interested too ! I am 29.. I dont wanna depend on a man.. I really wanna know how to get started on this.. please add me in your group chat?

I am single, in my 40s, and it took me 2 years of thinking about it and finding all the information before I went ahead to do IVF this year. Part of my process (the daily injections n scans over 12 days ) was done in Singapore. Actual egg retrieval and fertilisation w sperm was done in Australia (u only need to stay 1-2 days ) Be prepared that this will be very expensive as the daily injections (drug costs) is very expensive in Singapore. No subsidy. If you can afford the time away from Singapore (20 days) cheaper to do all in Australia.

Which fertility clinic did you go to? And how much did it cost ? Was it successful?

I tried clinic in Australia because need donor sperm and they have good donor programmes there. They make you go through counselling sessions (you can voice and talk through all your concerns w a psychologist). I found them very good to prepare you mentally to help you work out If you prepared for the challenges ahead

I think be prepared to pay total 15k to 30k a cycle. A lot of this costs will be because of the drugs needed (unbelievably expensive).

I don’t know if successful yet. So far so good.

Which clinic did u go to in Singapore and which in Australia?

IVF Australia via Virtus Fertility (SG)
Other aus clinics you can check out are Genea and City Fertility

Alsio check out Malaysia and Thailand but I don’t know much about them.

Wow I’m surprised that clinics JB singapore can assist . Thought IVF services are not offered to singles

I am single, in my 40s, and it took me 2 years of thinking about it and finding all the information before I went ahead to do IVF this year. Part of my process (the daily injections n scans over 12 days ) was done in Singapore. Actual egg retrieval and fertilisation w sperm was done in Australia (u only need to stay 1-2 days ) Be prepared that this will be very expensive as the daily injections (drug costs) is very expensive in Singapore. No subsidy. If you can afford the time away from Singapore (20 days) cheaper to do all in Australia.

Do you need to time your trip to Australia when you are ovulating?

Hi LLLY,
Did you go through the process with Dr. Kan from IVF Australia? Did you feel comfortable with him, and was he professional? May I know how was your IVF procedure? Did you do fresh embryo transfer?

I think for singles - do your research , talk to ppl , consult a few docs and find one u comfortable with, ensure u have the $ resources (no subsidy plus overseas ) ... then just TAKE LEAP OF FAITH if its really still want you want

I have been speaking to clinics in UK as well as IVF Australia. I met with the doctor too. I am deciding which one to go. For IVF Australia, how long did you wait to access donor sperm?

Back