Christian ivf mums or mums to be

I know some of us gathered at the christian perspective on infertility.. but i have a big decision to make and would like to know more christian mums who tried ivf to gather here and shared their experience..

-How do their church friends or even other family members react to their decision to do ivf?

-Will non believing family members or friends see it as lack of faith?

-What made them go ahead with ivf? peace from God etc..

-Any difference in terms of health of their babies compared to other babies that are not via ivf?

thanks so much for sharing.

hi toy, for myself, I think my ivf path is guided by God. I had been trying to have a child, during the trying times I keep asking God will this be the mth...after trying for 6 mths I went to a gynae, then stress built up...I asked God to show me the way, He guided me to Elisha n the shunnamite lady. that is when I know I will be a mum, but I still didn't then fully placed it to God's timing.

but He is good to me...He allows me to diagnosised my prob n in that distressed times He spoke to me...He told me this will make me strong, not weak.

I went ivf treatment in dec last yr...and did the ER in jan 08. if it is not for God's strength, I couldn't go thru the complications n the pain n worry.

I pray n thank God for this trial in my life - it helps me to be closer to Him, to my hubby, to my parents n mother in law....n the faith that strengthened that all will be His will.

I did not tell anyone in my church explicitly, just that I m going thru a diff patch in my life but I can walk thru cos God is with me...

I had been reading the bible n reading job cos I think that is a gd chapter for pple in tribulations. also I gain comfort from streams in the deserts, a book that highlights that God never promises good things only to christians, but in times of trials, u know He will hold ur hand.

thanks vanila pod for sharing. i really wish to hear from more mummies. i know ivf to some christian is still a grey area..but i think i am really scared of needles n so wonder whether should i go ahead. but on 1 hand i really desire children..

Toy, thanks for starting this thread. I also wish more christians mummies, even sisters can share with us their views. Personally i have some answers to your questions (gathered when i was last doing IVF).

-How do their church friends or even other family members react to their decision to do ivf?
Well, didnt tell friends and church friends and family but i know my (HB's as well) family will encourage us to go for it and support us for IVF. In fact, my mum will raise hands and legs and ask me to go for it for she yearn grandchildren sooo much. But church friends ... for me, its a no no, i am quite sure. My church is very biblical and they believe in miracle healing. To go for IVF, they will refer to bible and tell me children are gifts from God and it will be given in his time thus we should have faith and trust and pray and wait. We cannot demand God's gifts. My aunt, a prayer warrior serving in the same church and a cell grp leader, was the first to tell me 'just pray'. And if thats not enough, they will tell us to attend the miracle healing services.

-What made them go ahead with ivf? peace from God etc..
When i was in a struggle over the ultimate decision, i told God. Ok i will visit Dr Loh one last time before IVF and let him check my adenomyosis and if he thinks its ok to go ahead, i take it as a sign you approved, Lord. So when dr Loh said its ok, the adeno not bad enough to turn down IVF, i just went for it. Sure, half the time, i still felt guilty cos the way i thought God approved was bit off basis, but then i also believe doing IVF doesnt mean taking God out of the equation or playing God or letting docs take charge cos ... God is still involved in IVF! He decides how we respond to stimulation, how many eggs we should have, how many fertilised embryos there should be and whether these become babies. So, armed with that, i took the big step and tell myself, just try, if succeed then good, if not then i will take it as God is telling me its not time yet. Then i will just rest and plan next steps later.

So i did. Rested half a year now, took TCM half a year, and now thinking might be time to try again. This time see if God say ok or he still tell me its not time yet. If this time is still not the time yet, then i will probably try again next year and year after. I am stubborn by nature, will work out my ruts to get things i desire, what more my hearts' most yearned desire. I cant give up till i have past 35 at least cos by then 5 years of resources (physically and $) will have passed, i will have been very drained and age will have caught up rendering IVF less effective.

-Any difference in terms of health of their babies compared to other babies that are not via ivf?
Nobody knows i guess but the world's first IVF baby is now 30 and doing well and even had her own child naturally 2 years back. I guess if she can conceive and give birth then her body must be quite strong. Anyway, if IVF babies are also God sent, i dont see why God will make them inferior compared to us, naturally conceived by our mothers.

I have some advises from other forum too. I try to paste 1 or 2 here and we see if anyone has similar views.

thanks Maple- really scared to step into the unknown. i personally dunno anyone who gone thru ivf except here. Like you, i am worried if i do it and it failed i will be devastated cos to me the cost is on the high side. I am praying day and night to see if it is green light to do it.. i am seeing the dr on mon to rate my chance of unblocking my tubes.

hi Toy, if u have hospitalisation insurance, u may want to check if the lap can be claimed.....for me, the lap cost abt 8K, 3.5K is medisave..

wow lap is also just as exp as ivf in terms of cash payment. i must check with my insurance agent am i covered by that? is medishield covering lap? thanks i am really ignorant

Hi Toy

Here's what was shared to me on another forum:

"God helps those who help themselves, part of the gift that we believe God has given us is that of free will, that we are free to make our own choices in this world. Timing, fate and gifts are one thing, but if we are given the opportunity to get what we need through new and modern means, then it is something we have to take into consideration. The same paradox could be applied to using medication - should we wait to get well or use the means we have to get well? I strongly believe that part of getting God's help involves proactively doing something on our part."

"The bible makes no mention about IVF. Why would it be wrong? God and doctors are on the same side - both are tackling illnesses. The Bible never rebuked anyone for seeking medical aid. Can not God work through natural means too? Who are we to dictate the method God uses? Why tie the hands of God?

If God has given you the faith for miracle healing, and you KNOW that God has answered your prayer, then forget IVF. Your faith has made you well. But if not, then nevermind, go for IVF and pray that God will make the procedure successful. No shame."

hi Toy the medishield for the lap is really pathetic -- i got like 65 dollars refund....

if u are working...u might want to see if ur company's health insurance covers it or not..and then do the proper way to see if u can claim....my company HR's policies very strict...so i am still waiting for it to be approved...

i really wish if i can hear from a local ivf baby who has grown up and the mummy too..wonder who is the oldest ivf baby in singapore..

i guess in all procedure there is a certain risk.. i am still praying for an answer..

hi i told God to speak thru the dr and He did.. i did not go in expecting to do ivf.. i told the dr let talk abt lap and she told she can do a fallopian tube recanalization for me ..so we agreed on it but later she added on that she feel ivf will be better option cos my tubes are blocked and doing the recanalization might not guarantee it to be opened n there might be cases of ectophic pregnancy.

i shared abt my fear of needles and muliples cos i dont know how to handle so many kids at 1 time. so the dr suggested a primitive type of ivf known as the natural cycle of ivf- where a lot of faith is needed.. i will still pay for all the scans/er/et/icsi but i just be harvesting 1 egg or maybe 2 at most ( cos i will be taking clomid the lowest dosage as usual) and transferring 1 embryo.

I know that ivf will never take away the miracle of creation of this baby. To me, i wish i can conceive naturally but having tried so long .If i can have a baby via ivf, I will try cos i know ivf cant give me a baby but God can.

But i am still praying that I will conceive naturally from now to April.

Hi Toy, you mean you let the dr steer the direction whether tube canalization or IVF and she pointed towards IVF? So in Apr, you be doing the procedure? I heard about the natural cycle of IVF, its indeed less evasive.

But hopefully, you wont even need to go thru that meaning you conceived before Apr! If you have faith in that, it might just happen.

I read in one of the advises given to me, that God meets us at our measure of faith. If our faith is mircale healing and conceive naturally, God will meet us there and we will conceive naturally. If our faith is in IVF, God will meet us there too and we will conceive thru IVF. Of course, the faith has to be very firm.

Good that you have taken some steps and some directions to head to. I am still clueless myself.

hi initially i was the one who sort of decided to follow simp, vanilla and another mummy who i met in this forum about doing a lap to unblock tubes n see if it works for me.. i even called my insurance agent to check but found out lap is not covered.

however the dr told me abt tube recanalization which i read from here too n i was rather happy cos tube recanalization is cheaper than lap.. but as we discussed the dr say that frankly seeing my husb count to be very low 0. something percent need at least 1 percent to penetrate an egg..so she said frankly ivf might be my only way to have a child.

i shared abt my fears of OHSS , needles n twins or triplets ( cos i really dun have much help) n she told me she just delievered a case where the mother also scared of needles.. using clomid n ivf/icsi.. when she said that no embryo will be wasted and all embryo will be put in- i just feel so comfortable n peaceful... so we just decided on this.

it will take a lot of faith cos the nurse told me if i only harvest 1 , and when the day to do er they might not be able to do it or they might go in n find none then i still need to pay for the scan , er etc n even when they take that precious 1 out n the outcome (fertisilation) is not favourable i need to pay for er icsi etc but not et.

actually the dr did an earlier scan for me and she only told me i have plenty of eggs abt 30 and so by doing ivf ( using needles) i might have OHSS.. n to me i wont want my embryo ( 30 of them if all fertisilised ) to be wasted so i think i will do this clomid procedure first.

actually what i had in mind initially was tube recanalization followed by so-iui but the dr told me my husb count might be too low to do so iui..

well after signing all the forms i told the nurse since starting in apr ( cos husb away in reservist in mar) if any miracle happen i can choose to cancel right and she say must tell them the gd news if i am pregnant naturally.. which i also hope too..

However should my pastor or close church friend sense God showing me other ways then i might change my mind too but if not this will be what is happening..

i still remember both of us struggling with going iui initially then both of us went n not successful so we thought maybe is a closed door for us.. i went ahead with another iui n u went for ivf.. it was not an easy decision for both of us.. Let continue to wait upon the Lord..

remember there is this man in the bible who child always go into fit and Jesus disciples cant cast that demon out and Jesus asked the man if he believes and he said Lord i do believe; help me overcome my unbelief! mark 9:14-30

i believe God and His power to heal but some time the flesh is weak due to the past failures but i do want to believe He can heal all of us in this thread..

Thanks Toy, for sharing.

But i am abit puzzled, how your doc knows you have alot of eggs via a scan, somemore can count 30 of them? She saw about 30 follicles issit? And that was which day of your cycle?

I ask because i didnt know can tell many eggs via scan, i always thot eggs are microscopic one. Maybe i should also scan and get doc to tell me how many eggs i have. I prob have alot lesser than you since my FSH is higher at 9.

hi maple babies

i also dunno how come she said 30 possible eggs..u see i did a day 2 scan last nov..n i think she saw the follicles..

so u asked your dr abt this day 2 scan after your menses come okie..

Hi toy...
i did a lap but did not explore the recanalisation cos my gynae said that my tubes are blocked from within rather badly and the lap was to confirm that they are really blocked. so IVF is the only way....

it will be good to do the natural IVF -- just take clomid...if u have responded well to clomid before....

for me it is not the injections that were bad..but i did not anticipate the OHSS and was not prepared for it...though it only happens to 3-5% of the IVF patients...

Hello everyone,
my scan today revealed not good results and my gynae is giving me time to see if i will miscarriage naturally or not D&C in a couple of weeks' time.

I know all is in God's will and this time the timing is not His timing yet..but i am still feeling sad as i told God to take my baby and rest her in peace with Him.

Hi Vanilla,

Pls take care. If have to let baby go, do nurse your health back and soon you will be up to TTC again! I know no words of comfort may soothe you now but try to cheer up, heal and go on ok?

Hi Maple...
Thanks..ya...cos if i am sad i know my hubby will be affected as well...it is God's timing...my baby will be better with God now...cos He will be better for her than me...

Thanks again...

I will keep you in my prayers. dun give up!i was telling maple i am a big day dreamer... to be frank i even bought barbie dolls and a lot of baby toy cos i keep telling myself i want a baby soon..

Hi Toy... yes... i read from my book last night and what is said is very true - we have to wait on God until He unfolds His will before us...

God knows best what is for us...I will wait patiently for Him..

Thanks Toy...

Hi Toy, I am ok..trying to be relax and not think abt anything until 2 weeks later for the final scan.

So you are starting ur IVF (using clomid)? Take care...

Hi Toy...best wishes to u ...hope it will also be not around for 9 mths for u!

Today is not a gd day for me...got to come home early and lie down cos of cramps....gynae said may be sign of things of spiraling downhill....

hi vanilla was praying for you last night.. i know it is tough but i m praying as long as there is no confirmation at least still got hope..

Thanks Toy...have not got any bleeding yet..Praise the Lord...the cramps subside a bit so today I shall be good and rest at home...

Thanks for your prayer...

Hi vanilla, i actually saw your posting in another thread with Rabbit before i visited this thread today. Keep your faith, even if it's as small as a mustard seed.

I started my ivf journey on 29Feb and today is my 5th day on lucrin. Yesterday i prayed to God and He answered my prayer this morning. I got my answer when i discovered this thread. I will pray for you too, i believe He will grant the desire of your heart.

Thanks NZ...May God bless u too on this journey... it has indeed brought me closer to Him and be more obedient to Him and His will.

for me, i really want to know God's will and i asked God if there is clear indicator that i should not go for it then i will just stop.. i have asked pastor and some friends to pray with me.. so far no ans from anyone.

i know i have been very baby obsessed n wish i can be like anyone else like my closed frds who can have babies so easily n will not be stuck in this whether to do or is it God's will?

1 thing i know is if it has to be God to create the baby n if the ivf turns out otherwise then i just have to be patient.

i realised in this TTC journey only those who are going thru this can understand it- the ups and downs.. my friends dun n they dun feel comfy talking abt this with me... i feel so lonely in the TTC journey cos my husband is not the type that talks n i am the type that talks a lot..

frankly ivf is never in my mind until now.

Hi Toy,
Have u consulted a christian gynae and ask for her/his opinion regarding ur case? Maybe they can give u some light on ur medicial condition as well as their views on the treatment for u from the same baseline as us (as christians).

I am also like u -- sometimes i feel my frens dont really understand what I am going thru -- but then again they are never in the same position, so can't really blame them. But at least we have a forum here...u can chat with us anytime and anything...we will understand cos we are on the same path.

To me this inability not to have children easily and the "natural" way is always testing me on comparing -- like why some pple so lucky -- can have kids so easily and the gender they wish...but then again i will be always reminded in my daily devotional readings that the Lord sometimes train us in unbearable circumstances to make us stronger...

Currently i have told God that I have packed all my worries into a box and mailed it to Him. He will handle everything on this IVF process and life for me... worrying is so tiring ...giving the Lord the box is so easy... I know He will take care of them for me.

hello Vanilla
my 2 gynaes not christian but i did talk to my friend who is a social worker at kkh and a christian and she told me that ivf is like match making so they match the eggs with the sperms and the rest is God's work.

for me my gynae told me even if i unblock tubes it might be blocked again so she suggest ivf for us.

i m thinking mayb i give ivf a try n if it is a closed door i will have stopped n think what's next..

thanks for your sharing.. i really wondering if there is so little christian mums out there who attempted ivf?

Hi toy_collector, actually I dun really know if I have heard from God abt the go-ahead with ivf. In fact, I had never thought I would need ivf at all since my menses are very regular. Besides, I am someone who is extremely afraid of injections. Even a paper cut on my finger can make me motionless for half a day. Until then, my faith in conceiving naturally was quite strong although only to be slapped with disappointments month after month.

Anyway, it all began with a sudden attack of appendicitis last Apr. I was rushed to the hospital for an emergency op. I was totally terrified but didn’t have much time to be afraid and the op was over. Four months later, I went for another op to do laproscopy. Guess all these have prepared me to embark on ivf bravely.

At one point in time, I was thinking if going for ivf means taking my fertility into my own hands rather than depending on God. I am also not sure if I heard from God but deep in my heart, I know God will help me no matter which route I take. Today, I want to thank God for what He has already done and not when I see results. I want to thank Him because He has not given up on me. I am thankful that I was not born in my mom’s generation when ivf did not even exist as an option.

Btw, I have not tried IUI or other treatment before. After my laproscopy, my gynae advised that ivf is more suitable for me due to my age, my tubes condition and my DH’s which can’t swim that well.

Hope my sharing can encourage you in one way or another.
happy.gif

Vanilla pod, hope u are keeping well and strong..

Hi NZ, thanks..I am doing ok...also thanks for sharing ur story.

I was just thinking to myself today that even though this IVF journey at times seem to be in a dark place with no obvious light, I am glad that God is there to guide me and let me lean on Him.

thanks so much NZ for the sharing. i went thru abt close to 3 yrs of trying.. iam on folic and clomid since July 2005.. CLomid taken for many mths n then stopped and then taken but no news..so last yr i went iuis n failed n went for HSG.. wow that was a big blow cos the prob is always husband side but now it both sides.

I went to miracle healing claimed all promises but still i m not sure if my tubes has unblocked..that y i decide if the dr can convince me to do ivf with out much needle i will give it a try..

Of course my hopes are high but I also want God in this situation. I know I can never win Him but i can yield to Him.

Thanks sisters at least i know i am not alone in this ivf journey.

hi toy collector, vanilla pod,

Glad to know we can support each other here. In fact, i did not even tell my family or church members abt my ivf journey. I need them to pray with me but dunno how to share with them. None of them had difficulties conceiving like me. I tried sharing with one church friend abt trying ivf and she immediately rebuked it and said i should keep praying and God will grant me a child. I was very confused and hurt at that time. I am glad i found this forum and we can pray for each other and God will still listen right?

Hi NZ.. yes God listens everytime and everything.

I understand what u mean cos some churches and some christians do not believe in "artifical" conception. Dont be disheartened by those views cos what is important is how u feel abt it with God. Becos a IVF baby will be man-made but still God-given.

I also did not tell the church members abt my IVF...now only my cell gp knows abt my pregnancy..some church frens not in my CG dont know abt me pregnant.

I am glad too that i have this forum with my sisters in christ. We will uphold each other in prayers.

yes let uphold each other in prayers..
NZ, just curious who is cooking for u during your 2ww? i am very stressed by that cos i love food and dun like outside food..so since cant cook i need to know if we can eat confinement food cos more nutritious.. at night i will eat tingkat

vanilla read in another thread that your mil cook for u..i dun intend to tell mil cos she will be so anxious n i will be stressed.

Back