CCTV Camera at Home - To Monitor Maid & Toddler

Hi lconnie

Sorry for the late response. I think the retail price is about SGD 249/-. I bought my DCS-2121 for about that price, but I believe it has come down alittle. You can get it from alot of shops at Sim Lim Square, or Funan Center. I'm sure the price varies alittle from shop to shop. I bought mine from Challenger since I'm a member there.

As to what you need, you can refer to my earlier post to Fern. If you have Singnet broadband, and want to see what's going on at home, a DCS-2121 solution will probably suffice, assuming you don't mind recording to a SD card. It also supports iPhone viewing, but I seem to be having a some reliability issues with that. I'm monitoring and will probably check with DLINK if persist. But again, IP camera solutions require some effort in configuring it, unless you pay someone to do it for you.

In summary, for a DCS-2121 solution, you will need the DCS-2121 camera, a good SD card (big capacity if you want to record for long), and knowledge/patience to configure it to work (if you don't want to pay someone to do it for your).

But personally, I like the DCS-5220 better since it can rotate around the room, but it does not record to SD cards and require a more costly storage solution which will probably exceed SGD500/-

Hope this helps.

i wish to install 3 to 4 cctv at home to monitor maid.
wish to view from office and record too.
pls PM me if u have any good recommendations

It's been a while since my last post. Thought I'd introduce a new brand of cameras I've found recently. It's brand name is cam2life. I bought a couple of these cameras and found them very good for viewing on the mobile phone. You can check it out at cam2life.net.

Still playing around with them, but happy to share if anyone have questions on them.

If you need to install CCTV, can contact me. My Hubby does it freelance. Will not cost you alot and you can view the camera via internet.

Hi

Anyone has any recommendations for a hidden/concealed camera? I needed one for short periods of time when I leave my 2YO to the maid.

Hi Pepperminz

Do send me a PM on the specifications that you looking at, i will send you a quote on it
happy.gif

Thank you

Hi,
I want to install hidden cameras in 3-4 rooms at home to monitor my maid. I should be able to view the videos via Internet from PC or iPhone. Can anybody recommend me good contacts for installation?
Thanks

Hi Meenz4u,
Just to share my opinion. If you suspect your maid is stealing money or bringing someone into your house when you are away, you can install a hidden camera to verify what is happening. In the event that you need to make a police report, you will have evidence .
On the other hand, if you have an intention to monitor what your maid is doing with your baby when you are working, I would suggest that you DO NOT choose the hidden camera but an obvious camera.
Let me explain. If you happen to see a scar on your baby's arm one day, and when you playback the CCTV recorder, you realise that your maid has hurt your baby. You can make a police report and take legal action against your maid but the bottom line is, your baby's arm has already been hurt.
I would rather install an obvious cameras in my house if I want to monitor my maid with my baby. Reason is that I want to send a message across to my maid that she should not try to do anything funny when I am in office as I would be monitoring on her and she can see that I have cameras at home. She also will not try to do anything funny.
This is just my personal opinion that I always tell the mummies who want to install CCTV. If you need further info or help you can contact me at 9760 2180. All the best

Hi meenz4u

I agree with Bernard. If nothing has happened yet,better to have a visible deterent rather than wait for something to happen. But being a father myself, if my child has unexplained cuts or bruises, I will send the maid back immediately! I won't wait to catch her since that would mean my child getting hurt again. Just my thoughts.

Just a quick update. Have been playing with the cam2life cameras, and I'm quite happy with them. The video quality is good, sound is very loud, and the night vision on the infra red version is quite good.

For the Pan and Tilt version (rotatable), I can actually rotate the camera using your iPhone and my Nokia E71. Found that kind of cool.

If you want to see a demo of these cameras, you can check out http://keepneye.com.sg/online.html. There are 3 demos there. Demo 1 shows a camera in Singapore, Demo 2, Malaysia, and demo 3, Taiwan. Have a look for yourself ;-)

I've got a technical qn i wish to see some advice.I've install the cctv in my house but apparently i feel odd as when i do remote login i saw a domain name(the url of the website i load to access my cctv) and a different set of password and userid thats in the settings. But I'm never told on how to use this username and password.

Moreover, Singtel always change my IP every now and then and i will be cut off from my remote monitoring till i get the vendor to update the new IP address on his side. Is there something wrong with how this whole procedure is going?

Please advice

hi bobby,
how much does cam2life cameras cost? where do we buy them?
do we install them ourselves?
if so, is it easy to install?

Hi Michelle,
If you are using a MIO modem router brand from Singtel, you might have this problem as this modem router brand do not support DDNS so when singtel change their IP address once in a while, it will not update the new IP address in your CCTV.
You have 2 options. One is to change the MIO modem router to another brand that will update the IP address automatically. You can get brands like linksys, d-link or tp-link modem router. If you cannot change your modem router, the other option is to installer a software called the dyndns updater in your PC that will update the ip adress everytime Singtel change their IP address. You cctv vendor should be able to advise you further regarding this. Good Luck
happy.gif

Hi Bernard,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. If i wish to change my remote monitoring to another provider(domain etc). Can this be done? I'm concern abt privacy issue as i fear that the vendor may be able to access my cctv ...

To add on, though he claimed that although i own the domain but he cannot provide me password for my account at DynDns.com as it is shared........

are there vendor out there who is able to shift my entire remote monitoring to another domain that i can purchase and own it directly?

Hi Michelle,
I have listed your issues in point form so that you will understand better.

1) Your vendor must have own the dyndns account under his company name. If he pays dyndns.com every year, he will be able to host about 25 domain names ( in this case, all his customers domain names).

2) He is correct to say that you own the domain name but the fact that the account and password is under his company, he can always delete your domain name as and when he wants to and this would not be very fair to you in long run.

3) You actually have a few options. I'm not sure if your vendor charges you for this domain name but you can actually register your own domain name under your own dyndns account. It is completely free. As long as you view your cctv at least once a month, they (dyndns.com) will not delete your account. In this case, you will have your own username and password.

4) The only thing that I find it strange is from your 1st post that mention that whenever singtel updates the new IP address, your vendor can actually update it from his side. This is strange as by right, if you buy a normal CCTV system, the vendor will not be able to update the IP address from his side unless, the vendor creates a separate account and able to somehow link it to your house dvr to update the IP address. In any way, this sounds really strange. If you need urgent advise, you can call me at 9760 2180. Hope I can help you as much as I can. Good Luck!

Hi yunzz

There are 3 version. The prices are:

IC-202W (basic wireless fixed camera) - S$ 248.00
IC-212W (Wireless fixed camera with night vision) - S$ 288.00
IC-502W - (wireless rotatable camera) - S$378.00

You can buy them at http://keepneye.com.sg. Look in the shopping section for the pricing

If you already have broadband internet set up at home, the cameras really need no special set up to view on your PC. To access the camera, just connect it to your network, type in the website address given to you, and enter the camera ID and password, and you are done.

You do need some setup work if you want to record, but it's pretty simple. The same website has full solutions if you want to record to a Network Video Recorder.

Hope this helps.

thanks Bobby.

I have a few more questions. Could you please help to advise?

Does cam2life cameras support monitoring from iphone?

How is cam2life cameras compared to linksys cameras?

i am looking for a wireless camera to monitor my house. i only need a single unit camera as my house is small. i am using Singtel mio moderm. i have wireless connection. i want to be able to record and monitor life from my laptop, macbook and iphone.

does a wireless camera means that i do not have to connect a wire from the camera to the mdoerm/ router?

is Singtel mio moderm also a router?
or do i have to buy another router?

thanks for your advise in advance!

Hi yunzz

Sorry for the late response. To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it supports iphone monitoring. And per my earlier post, it allows you to rotate the camera from the iphone if you buy the rotatable version, something not really possible with the DLINK.

2. In terms of ease of use, the cam2life is easier to set up and use. Image quality is subjective, but I'd say the cam2life is a bit better, but it requires more bandwidth. So a poor phone connection may work for the dlink, but fail to work on the cam2life. Also for the dlink DCS-2121, you can view from the iphone without any special software. With the cam2life, you have to buy a client software for the app store.

3. I believe it will work with any broadband connection, but I use Starhub, not Singtel, so I cannot guarantee it. But I am 99% sure it will work with a mio modem.

4. Monitoring from a laptop and an iphone is not a problem. Not sure about the MAC since I don't own a Mac.

5. The IC-502W supports recording to a microSD card, while the rest do not. If you want a cheap solution, this will probably be the best choice. But all supports recording to a NAS, or to your PC. I used a NAS since it's cheaper and use less power than a PC.

6. Yes, being wireless, you can connect it wirelessly, just like you surf wirelessly from your laptop. But you should make sure the camera is close to the wireless router to ensure a stable network connection.

7. Not a Singtel user, but I believe that the mio modem is a router. Installed a camera for a friend who has Singtel, and the modem is a router .

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am also interested to install 3-4 CCTV at home to monitor maid & baby. Pls PM me if you have any recommendation.

thanks

hi i have two singtel web camera to let go

all u hv to do is to video call to the camera n u can view wadever ur maid is doing..
i did tt during my work time but now i am a sahm no longer need tt..

no down payment or heavy expenses
just pay $15.65 / month for the remaining 20 months contract with singtel

we need to meet up n trf to ur name $20 is chargable for the trf which u have to bear the cost ..

other than tt is no other extra..

pls sms 91869792 ADA for faster deal

thank you =)

Hello,

I have bought 3 Cisco Linksys cameras but have no ideas how to setup. Is anyone using this model and care to share how to setup?

I feel a bit regretted not doing survey before getting the cameras. Cisco linksys do not have local support team in singapore.

Cisco Linksys cameras all have their individual IP address. You will need to do a setup (called portforwarding) in your modem router. You will need to input the individual camera IP address inside the modem router so that you are able to view. You should have an instruction manual to teach you how to do this programming. If you still do not understand, you can always revert back to the shop/outlet that you have bought it from. They should be able to teach you how to do it. It's not very difficult depending on the model that you bought.

Hi,

Anyone can advise me. For the singtel mobile livecam are we able to view from Iphone. I called the customer service and they told me iphone cannot support or view from it. I want something simple installation n not so expensive stuff.

Hi,

I need help on viewing on Iphone n via internet.. anybody well versed with that?? Am willing to pay for an installer.. any recommendations??

Hi chubby_tiger

The cheapest camera I know of is the DLINK DCS-2121. I own a couple of them, and they support iPhone viewing. But you need to configure port-forwarding on your router to get it to work. Believe it's about S$199 at challenger.

The cam2life cameras are also built to design the iPhone. I had a couple of these, and they worked great. But I've sold it to a friend who wanted them. Check out http://www.cam2life.com/live.html for the demo. These cameras need no configuration if all you want is to view the cameras on the iphone. But they are alittle more expensive that the dlink.

Hi Sam

Have you bought the camera? I bought DLink DCS2121 and have difficulty connecting via internet and iphone. No use calling DLink 24hr service hotline. They point finger to service provider (Starhub) or router. Called Starhub, they point finger to DLink/router. Finally, I engaged an IT guy from Advanced Micro Computer. He came to install/configure the camera. I'm happy that I am now able to view via internet and iphone. I paid $120+ for his service.

Hi Clare

Wow, didn't know that the going rate for configuring service is $120+. If anyone needs such configuring service, do PM me. I'm sure I can do it for you for less ;-)

And I do agree. Dlink service hotline is very bad.

Never too late ;-) FYI, I have 5 DLINK DCS-5220 and 2 DLINK DCS-2121 cameras monitoring my home. Very KS. Haha

As long as it is not a hidden camera, you can install it in the maid's room. Pls let her know so that she does not change her clothes inside that room.

ActyMAc DutyWatch Remote seems to be a software to spy on what people do on their computers. Not sure how this is relevant to forum. Care to elaborate?

Sorry, long post ahead as I'm still undecided between webcams and cctv.

I'm looking at 4 to 5 cameras. I don't need them to be hidden although I may not tell the maid where they are, as long as they don't invade her privacy. I want to deter any hanky panky at my place since the maid will prob be on her own most of the day.

I want to be able to record, and view on internet and handphone.

Is webcam or cctv a better solution?

I know that webcams can record to a pc while a cctv system records to a dedicated recorder, and that wireless webcams are more secure than wireless cctv. Capacity-wise, cctv systems can hold more footage?

Other than that, what are the main differences?

Cost-wise, webcams seem to be cheaper, unless I decide to get another dedicated pc just for recording.

Thanks for any help!

Hi heehee

Do you mean webcam, or IP camera? Reason I ask is webcams, to my knowldedge, attach directly to the PC, usually over USB. Never heard of a wireless webcam before. And they typically don't work at all without a PC. If you have a webcam in mind that does work wirelessly, please let me know the model. I'd be keen to investigate that product ;-)

If you care keen on exloring a IP cam solution, do PM me.

Okay, went to wiki and found out that webcams used for surveillance are also known as IP cameras.

So, I guess to be more specific, yes, I'm keen on exploring an IP cam solution.
happy.gif

Hi hee hee

Great. I think cctv and ip cams have their advantages and disadvantages. Here's what I like about ip cams.

1. Wireless IP cams need no ugly cabling around the house, and you are right, IP cams wireless are much more secure and uses standard wifi, so less prone to interference from other wireless appliances at home.

2. Highly portable. You can move it to a new place if you don't like it where you initially put it. You can even bring it to your in-law's place over the weekend if you like.

3. Most IP cameras are smarter and can be easily configured to record when motion is detected and email it to you, or stored on a standard network storage device. Can usually be viewed on the iPhone as well as many other smartphones.

4. An easier DIY job to install it at home.

5. Lastly, they are designed to blend better with your furniture. You can place them on bookshelfs, kitchen cabinets, etc.

The only con that I can think of is IP cams are more expensive. So having a large number can be quite expensive.

Not a very scientific list, but these are my favourite reasons.

Will PM you to discuss your needs further.

One thing I forgot to address, the storage capacity. With the IP cam, some models record directly to a network storage device. So you can buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage) from Sim Lim with capacities in the Terabytes (1000 Megabytes) which can probably record months worth of video. The NAS can be also configured for RAID (redundancy) so you won't lose the recordings should a hard disk fail. May be an overkill for the home, but it's an available option which I don't think is easily available on a standard CCTV system.

hi bobby,

Thanks! Yup, after checking, I realised that IP cameras are more expensive than CCTV! My bad.

If I get the NAS, the cost will prob be v high! I like your 5th reason.
happy.gif

Hi Bobby ,

Need ur adv ya... Since the cam can support iPhone tat mens iPad also hor?

Which model will u recommend coz tink need a few one master rm, living rm n the kids rm ....tks in advance ya

Yes, the cameras work for both iPhones and iPads. For recommendations, it depends on your needs and your budget. My favourite is the Cam2life IC-502w when I had an iphone. Being able to move the camera to look around the house using the iphone was really cool.

If you have an ipad or iphone, you can download the program called mcamview. There should be a lite version that's free for testing. Once that is installed, you can add a camera and password to have a look at the camera.

For demo, you can use the following camera information:

ID: 001067116
passwd: ipcam

or

ID: 001001003
passwd: 1234

Cameras are not mine, so may not always be online, but give it a try.

hi bobby

i know Cam2life IC-502w is rotatable? to how many degrees? 360 or 180 degree?

just wondering how many i need to cover most part of my hse.

Hi meme

Below are the specifications for the IC-502w camera:

Pan range 130° ( -65° ~ 65° )
Tilt range 90° ( 0° ~ 90° )

Back