Care to share on bringing on labour naturally?

Sshl_Singapore

Hi mummies, am at 39wks+ today, ctg scan shows contractions but doc checked I'm not dilated yet. Bb is approx 2.9-3kg. Doc proposed 2options, to induce or wait another wk for 2nd ctg scan. I chose to wait a couple more days as I don't really like the idea of inducing labour. Heard contractions via this method could be more painful/intense & carry a risk of c-sect if the induction fails. Am hoping for natural delivery since faster recovery time for moms. Any other ways to bring on labour naturally? Thx.

Last edited:

Hi mummies, am at 39wks+ today, ctg scan shows contractions but doc checked I'm not dilated yet. Bb is approx 2.9-3kg. Doc proposed 2options, to induce or wait another wk for 2nd ctg scan. I chose to wait a couple more days as I don't really like the idea of inducing labour. Heard contractions via this method could be more painful/intense & carry a risk of c-sect if the induction fails. Am hoping for natural delivery since faster recovery time for moms. Any other ways to bring on labour naturally? Thx.

Hi Sshl,

Pls pls dun induce.. I induced and ended up in c-sect and furthermore Doctor was not so supportive. I was in 18hrs labour and only dilated 2-3cm.

Hi Sshl,

Pls pls dun induce.. I induced and ended up in c-sect and furthermore Doctor was not so supportive. I was in 18hrs labour and only dilated 2-3cm.
Hi, I'm playing the waiting game now as I chose to wait a couple more days, not keen on induction too but Doc says he is unlikely for me to go past 41wks. So am asking if there are ways to help bring on labour naturally.

Im not sure if it will help. Bt i did squats and quite a fair bit of pelvic exercise and walking in the latter half of my third trimester. Also, having sex also produces hormones to induce labour, according to my friend who is a gynae as well. My waterbag burst at week 36+0 and i was not dilated at all. After having epidural when the contractions became too unbearable 7 hours later, my gynae gave another medicine via Drip to hasten process of dilation and in 1.5 hours i dilated from 0 to 5 cm to 10cm and babygirl was out. Premature but healthy :)

You can try the following:
- eat pineapple, drink raspberry leaf tea everyday
- walk , squat , going up and down by stair rather than by escalator / lift
- have sex

Actually, I was delivering my baby at week 41 through induction too. At around week 39++, my gynae also proposed to induce as there is a risk if my baby still stay in my womb, he might be eating his poo, placenta quality getting worst, etc. So better to get the baby out so we can see it outside better than inside, somemore baby is already matured and ready to pop. At my EDD my gynae check and say I already 2 cm dilated but no contraction yet. Again my gynae suggested induction, but my hubby reluctant with the induction. So we wait for another 4 days. I did the above method trying for a natural delivery, but it did not work well for me. My gynae told me that it is true that labour through induction might be more painful for mummy and if induction did not works we may end up go to c-sect. At that time my gynae check my dilation and it only increased to 2.5 cm. I was thinking .... after doing those hardwork for few days, only progress another 0.5 cm so I think even I wait even longer, I do not think my dilation will progress faster. My gynae also told me the risk of going to c-sect is got nothing to do with induction. So even when you got those labour pain naturally, there is still possibility of getting emergency c-sect when you labour, depends on the condition at that time. Then I choose to admitted myself for induction at week 41, since my gynae did not recommended me to go farther than week 41. Then after around 5 hours of induction, I already dilated to 7 cm, but then due to fetal distress, my gynae instructed to do emergency c-sec. I cannot say that I regretted to be induced. But, I just think as long as my baby is healthy that is enough. Maybe next time when my baby getting older I will show him my scar .... so he can see where he was coming out from my tummy.

Good Luck and hopefully you can successfully deliver your baby through normal delivery n have a healthy baby!

Hi all, thx for the replies. Will try out the walking/squatting/climbing stairs activities & hopefully get some action going. I'm also sweet talking to bb to entice him to greet the world over the next couple of days.

before going for delivery, heard is good to drink coconut and warm honey water?
faster for Bb to be out?
Heard the coconut water is more so for cleansing baby skin, not for bringing on labour.

Has anyone tried membrane sweep? Issit effective for FTMs? Will be 40+wks if I suggest this method to my gynae instead of inducing.

Back