Can newborn sleep on a pillow?

Hi

I just delivered on 14 may. Can newborn sleep on infant pillow to prevent flathead ?

Thanks

Hello, congrats. Yes baby can sleep on pillow. There are pillow that are made specially for young infant. Great to get those for your little one.

Happy motherhood

i was told that there is no need for newborns to sleep on pillow?
just a piece of cloth on the cot will do?

issit better to get those newborn pillows that prevents flathead?

hello, technically speaking a piece of cloth is functioning a bit like a pillow ya. ha ha :)

Newborn dun need pillows... u jus need to adjust their head for dem... dun let ur bby sleep on e same position...let ur LO sleeps side ways...n dun forget to chnge their position to e otha side.....

Btw congrats babe...

That's what professional says, then you have the elderly at home saying you need a pillow for your baby~ haha! It confused me at first too!

But I think it's to each own's preference. My 5 week old baby has been sleeping on an infant pillow in the night and without pillow in the day so he can turn his head freely. And he is doing good now, head still round!

yeah without pillow, no flat head
otherwise u can put them by their side to sleep?
there's pillow--> those with a dent in the middle just for infants which u can buy if u want more "ergonomical" hehe

That's what professional says, then you have the elderly at home saying you need a pillow for your baby~ haha! It confused me at first too!

But I think it's to each own's preference. My 5 week old baby has been sleeping on an baby pillow in the night and without pillow in the day so he can turn his head freely. And he is doing good now, head still round!

My son is 5 months olds and at 10 weeks old he was diagnosed with a severe case of flat head.
This is what we were advised to do and it worked excellent- he no longer has flat head.
1- unlternate the ends of the cot/basinette where you place baby to sleep - this forces them to turn the head the other way when they wake to look at you. Baby may cry at first and find it harder to settle as it can hurt. I found it best at first to soothe baby to sleep before placing in the cot.
2 - we purchased a 2 in 1 sleeper - it has a special pillow fitted to it with a hollow in the middle for better fix.
Not sure what helped the most but these 2 things combined worked. The health nurse was so surprised at how quickly he recovered.

Last edited:

Back