BREASTFEEDING - Personal musings on how I managed to do it successfully

snort

Having been able to successfully provide my now 7-mo old with bm, i wanted to encourage mothers-to-be ESPECIALLY or new mums.

my aunt who is doing a documentary on fertility etc asked me what the most important thing was for breastfeeding. and i had one word:

PERSEVERANCE!!!

IMHO, in order for bf-ing to be successful, one must:

1. be armed with INFO prior to delivery. HAVE A BIRTH PLAN READY SO THAT YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. Be flexible in dire circumstances though.

Read and be acknowledgeable about what to do, what to expect and who to call (eg, lactation consultants, support group). having info prepares you not just for bf-ing at home but right at the hospital.

2. have a firm COMMITMENT TO TBF.

Even at hospitals with bf-friendly policies, the nurses are very busy with so many newborns, it's easier to feed them fm and keep them happy. frequently you will be asked, DO YOU WANT US TO GIVE GLUCOSE WATER OR FM? if you are unsure of your abilities, you'll waver. Newborns have a store of reserves to rely on for the first few days and whatever you have is usu sufficient. if your bb takes either, he/she might not latch on as often and it'll take that much longer for your ms to come in.

3. ALWAYS GET HELP FROM THE LACTATION CONSULTANTS in the hospital.

4. HAVE lots of SUPPORT from hubby and bf friends

You might encounter difficulties early on, with latching, with ms issues, with questions. You can then mobilise your support to help you get thro the initial blurry weeks. Be prepared to feel depressed or insecure.

Be wary of comments like, "Your bb is still crying, must be hungry" or the WORST - "Your milk is not enough". URGH! this sets you up for a vicious cycle of giving fm and then complaining about ms. Babies don't just cry out of hunger, they may be tired, wet, bored.

5. Above all, have PATIENCE AND PERSEVERANCE.

Final musings:

i am so glad i went into the delivery suite with my mind made up and certain of what i wanted for my bb. amidst the calls telling me to supplement, i trusted my INTINCTS and ability above all.

Today, my boy is a healthy 7 mo old still enjoying mummy's milk. when i have the cold, he seems to be getting the immunity thro my milk.

there will be days you feel like a cow but then you think, "this is too precious a moment. it will go very quickly".

i know many of us get hung up about the quantity we produce becos we are pumping. i was like that. is it becos we have become a society so driven by numbers or results? why have we come to expect that we MUST pump 150ml per session? where does it say our bb all drink 150ml at 1, 2 or 3 months? i say it's becos the milk cans say so. But our bm is unlike fm. We should not start feeding according to the milk cans but according to our babies request.

My boy has been nursing for only 5 min per session and only on one side. Anyone would be concerned, yes? I was worried, sure. But i slowly had to learn to trust that my boy was getting what he needed. maybe he knocks back his drinks instead of nursing it for hours. LOL.

we have perhaps forgotten to learn to read our bb's signals or be sensitive to their difference cries. every cry in their early months is attributed to HUNGER which then sets up a vicious cycle. every cry causes the in-law to insist that bb is hungry and leads to mummy's insecurity abt her ability to provide ALL that her bb needs.

i want to encourage all brave bf-ing mums to be steadfast in their determination to bf and to be secure and sure of their ability to provide for BB UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY. If at any point your instincts tell you something different, do seek out professional advice from a lactation consultant.

MORE POWER TO US BF-ing MUMS!!

Having been able to successfully provide my now 7-mo old with bm, i wanted to encourage mothers-to-be ESPECIALLY or new mums.

my aunt who is doing a documentary on fertility etc asked me what the most important thing was for breastfeeding. and i had one word:

PERSEVERANCE!!!

1. be armed with INFO prior to delivery. HAVE A BIRTH PLAN READY SO THAT YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. Be flexible in dire circumstances though.

Read and be acknowledgeable about what to do, what to expect and who to call (eg, lactation consultants, support group). having info prepares you not just for bf-ing at home but right at the hospital.

Even at hospitals with bf-friendly policies, the nurses are very busy with so many newborns, it's easier to feed them fm and keep them happy. frequently you will be asked, DO YOU WANT US TO GIVE GLUCOSE WATER OR FM? if you are unsure of your abilities, you'll waver. Newborns have a store of reserves to rely on for the first few days and whatever you have is usu sufficient. if your bb takes either, he/she might not latch on as often and it'll take that much longer for your ms to come in.

You might encounter difficulties early on, with latching, with ms issues, with questions. You can then mobilise your support to help you get thro the initial blurry weeks. Be prepared to feel depressed or insecure.

Be wary of comments like, "Your bb is still crying, must be hungry" or the WORST - "Your milk is not enough". URGH! this sets you up for a vicious cycle of giving fm and then complaining about ms. Babies don't just cry out of hunger, they may be tired, wet, bored.

Final musings:

i am so glad i went into the delivery suite with my mind made up and certain of what i wanted for my bb. amidst the calls telling me to supplement, i trusted my INTINCTS and ability above all.

Today, my boy is a healthy 7 mo old still enjoying mummy's milk. when i have the cold, he seems to be getting the immunity thro my milk.

there will be days you feel like a cow but then you think, "this is too precious a moment. it will go very quickly".

i know many of us get hung up about the quantity we produce becos we are pumping. i was like that. is it becos we have become a society so driven by numbers or results? why have we come to expect that we MUST pump 150ml per session? where does it say our bb all drink 150ml at 1, 2 or 3 months? i say it's becos the milk cans say so. But our bm is unlike fm. We should not start feeding according to the milk cans but according to our babies request.

My boy has been nursing for only 5 min per session and only on one side. Anyone would be concerned, yes? I was worried, sure. But i slowly had to learn to trust that my boy was getting what he needed. maybe he knocks back his drinks instead of nursing it for hours. LOL.

we have perhaps forgotten to learn to read our bb's signals or be sensitive to their difference cries. every cry in their early months is attributed to HUNGER which then sets up a vicious cycle. every cry causes the in-law to insist that bb is hungry and leads to mummy's insecurity abt her ability to provide ALL that her bb needs.

i want to encourage all brave bf-ing mums to be steadfast in their determination to bf and to be secure and sure of their ability to provide for BB UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY. If at any point your instincts tell you something different, do seek out professional advice from a lactation consultant.

PERSEVERANCE!!!

Final musings:

Thks 4 the encouraging comments, snort! I am reading up quite a lot on BFG and i do wan BFG to succeed when my baby arrives in appx 2 mths time. however i am oso aware of the initial setbacks and problems and support is v impt.
happy.gif

Hopefully i can successfully BF and i will come and contribute my story here!
happy.gif

Thks 4 the encouraging comments, snort! I am reading up quite a lot on BFG and i do wan BFG to succeed when my baby arrives in appx 2 mths time. however i am oso aware of the initial setbacks and problems and support is v impt.
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

baby zucchini, i'm sure you'll do well if you don't give up except for extenuating medical circumstances and even then, give yourself a fighting chance.

all the best on your delivery! and do share your story at a later date!
happy.gif

baby zucchini, i'm sure you'll do well if you don't give up except for extenuating medical circumstances and even then, give yourself a fighting chance.

happy.gif

happy.gif

Snort,

That's a very good post!

Like you, I managed to bf successfully for my 2y7mths girl and we're still great nursing buddies today! We're expecting meimei to join us in Sept and we will be a "3-some"! hahah.

All other bf mummies out there! Keep this good work up!

Mums to be, be firm and believe in what you're doing. Do learn to turn a deaf ear on anyone who tries to discourage you from bf your baby. No one knows best than yourself.

Enjoy your precious moments!

Moooooooooo Moooooooooooo
*wink*

Snort,

That's a very good post!

Like you, I managed to bf successfully for my 2y7mths girl and we're still great nursing buddies today! We're expecting meimei to join us in Sept and we will be a "3-some"! hahah.

Mums to be, be firm and believe in what you're doing. Do learn to turn a deaf ear on anyone who tries to discourage you from bf your baby. No one knows best than yourself.

*wink*

Snort,

That's a very good post!

*wink*

hahaha, thks ladies for the wonderful encouragement! i certainly am looking fwd to the bonding session wif my baby.
happy.gif

In the meanwhile, happy moo-ing!
kao_happy.gif

hahaha, thks ladies for the wonderful encouragement! i certainly am looking fwd to the bonding session wif my baby.
happy.gif

kao_happy.gif

happy.gif

kao_happy.gif

Duchess, wow...can I pry a little? Are you a SAHM or a FTWM? I've recently gone back to work and wonder how long I can sustain...Its been an enjoyable 7.75 months so far for sure
happy.gif

Duchess, wow...can I pry a little? Are you a SAHM or a FTWM? I've recently gone back to work and wonder how long I can sustain...Its been an enjoyable 7.75 months so far for sure
happy.gif

happy.gif

Duchess
Did your period return since u still bf your elder gal?
U bf when u r pregnant?

furry
I m a FTWM. I tbf my son. He is 25mth now still bf. My co is not pro in bf. I pumped in the office. Exchanged my 1 hr lunch time for 2 30 min break to express milk. My mgr spot checked on me during lunch time to ensure I work during lunch time. Luckily my son wean off bottle ie ebm on valentine tis yr. Gone were the expressing days. Now I latch on only

Duchess
U bf when u r pregnant?

furry
I m a FTWM. I tbf my son. He is 25mth now still bf. My co is not pro in bf. I pumped in the office. Exchanged my 1 hr lunch time for 2 30 min break to express milk. My mgr spot checked on me during lunch time to ensure I work during lunch time. Luckily my son wean off bottle ie ebm on valentine tis yr. Gone were the expressing days. Now I latch on only

Duchess
U bf when u r pregnant?

furry

Koala,
Wow...another one who BF for such a long time. Thanks for the encouragement. My office doesn't have any facilities as well and our toilet stinks! Now borrowing my colleague's room twice a day during office hours. So you latch on at home? Before and after work? How many times?

Koala,
Wow...another one who BF for such a long time. Thanks for the encouragement. My office doesn't have any facilities as well and our toilet stinks! Now borrowing my colleague's room twice a day during office hours. So you latch on at home? Before and after work? How many times?

Koala,

maraquan draik, I read yr story m glad u perservered

I am touched my all the bf heroines here and would like to share my bfing journey to the rest as well.

I was determined to TBF immediately when my gal first latched on me. She sucked vigourously and I feel this is so natural. My first setback is when my gal was admitted for high jaundice 3 days after we were discharged. She was dehydrated & my PD asked if I had enough milk. I nearly gave up BFing becoz I was filled with guilt that I stubbornly refused to supplement with FM. The fact that I could only pumped 1 oz with my manual pump simply did not help much. However my gynae told me to use electric pump and a lady I met at the hospital (whose son was also admitted for jaundice) told me "Don't give up!" It was these 3 words that made me continue bfing. I bought an electric pump and could pump out 2.5 oz that night. When my gal was discharged, I could feed her with all the EBM in the freezer.

The 2nd time I wanted to give up is shortly after her 1st month celebration. My gal was still very skinny, I was exhausted, my CL left and I did not have much time to pump. My gal was cranky very often and had to be fed almost hourly. I was clueless if her cries were due to hunger or something else. My breasts felt soft most of the time and my gal fusses during feed. I think the stress led to a dip in supply. But deep inside, I buay gam guan, I cannot believe I have to stop bfing at 2 months. But the uncertainty of whether I have enough milk or not really stressed me out.

So I gave up latching and feed totally on EBM. I expect my supply to dip further and then I will give up on feeding her with BM. To my surprised, my supply did not dip but increased slowly and steadily. Bottle feeding though does not have the closeness like latching, it has given me an assurance that my gal is drinking enough. & I am able to understand her cries now.

Of course, I hv a husband who supports bfing, and in the office, there is a room esp for mummies to pump milk. I bought a minifridge from a fellow mummy in this forum and all these help me maintain my supply even when I am back at work. & of course, the greatest reason for me to continue is my gal whom everyone comments she is a chubby young lady!

To all new mummies out there, I will use the words that kind lady at the hospital gave me "Don't Give Up!"

I am touched my all the bf heroines here and would like to share my bfing journey to the rest as well.

I was determined to TBF immediately when my gal first latched on me. She sucked vigourously and I feel this is so natural. My first setback is when my gal was admitted for high jaundice 3 days after we were discharged. She was dehydrated & my PD asked if I had enough milk. I nearly gave up BFing becoz I was filled with guilt that I stubbornly refused to supplement with FM. The fact that I could only pumped 1 oz with my manual pump simply did not help much. However my gynae told me to use electric pump and a lady I met at the hospital (whose son was also admitted for jaundice) told me "Don't give up!" It was these 3 words that made me continue bfing. I bought an electric pump and could pump out 2.5 oz that night. When my gal was discharged, I could feed her with all the EBM in the freezer.

The 2nd time I wanted to give up is shortly after her 1st month celebration. My gal was still very skinny, I was exhausted, my CL left and I did not have much time to pump. My gal was cranky very often and had to be fed almost hourly. I was clueless if her cries were due to hunger or something else. My breasts felt soft most of the time and my gal fusses during feed. I think the stress led to a dip in supply. But deep inside, I buay gam guan, I cannot believe I have to stop bfing at 2 months. But the uncertainty of whether I have enough milk or not really stressed me out.

So I gave up latching and feed totally on EBM. I expect my supply to dip further and then I will give up on feeding her with BM. To my surprised, my supply did not dip but increased slowly and steadily. Bottle feeding though does not have the closeness like latching, it has given me an assurance that my gal is drinking enough. & I am able to understand her cries now.

Of course, I hv a husband who supports bfing, and in the office, there is a room esp for mummies to pump milk. I bought a minifridge from a fellow mummy in this forum and all these help me maintain my supply even when I am back at work. & of course, the greatest reason for me to continue is my gal whom everyone comments she is a chubby young lady!

To all new mummies out there, I will use the words that kind lady at the hospital gave me "Don't Give Up!"

i m now into my 4th week. my breasts also feel soft most of the time. i suspect my supply is dipping cos during my 1st-2nd weeks, i used to experience engorgement. also, i managed to express out 3-4 oz but now, i can barely hit 3 oz.

i was told that it is better to let babe suckle as often as possible so as to stimulate milk supply. hence, entering my 3rd week, i increased the frequency of sucking sessions and cut down on EBM. as a result, i noticed each time, my EBM barely hit 3 oz. why is that so?

i m now into my 4th week. my breasts also feel soft most of the time. i suspect my supply is dipping cos during my 1st-2nd weeks, i used to experience engorgement. also, i managed to express out 3-4 oz but now, i can barely hit 3 oz.

i was told that it is better to let babe suckle as often as possible so as to stimulate milk supply. hence, entering my 3rd week, i increased the frequency of sucking sessions and cut down on EBM. as a result, i noticed each time, my EBM barely hit 3 oz. why is that so?

furryfurry
The toilet @ my office is ok. Sometimes clean, sometimes dirty. I hate it when ppl do big business while I m expressing. I think of my son, I bite my lips n endure. I feel stressed when there r many ppl waiting outside
I latch on before I go to work, once I reach home, latch to sleep n avg once in the middle of the night

Maraquan
Read your story. U r v strong w/o support fm anyone. For me, I m v lucky to hv a supportive hubby. My parents were not in favor till they watch TV programme dat explains the importance of bf.
Bf is not a bed of roses. I pumped strawberry milk (blood), engorement, thrush (I guess coz self healed), nipple confusion. Slept cumulative of 3 hrs a day when I returned to work initially.
I supplemented my son wif formula when he wz admitted to KKH for jaundice. My ms not established yet. Gave him 3 days soley formula to bring dwn his prolonged bm jaundice. Oso gave him formula once a day due to ignorance dat it's fine dat bf bb doesn't poo for a wk

Shalan
Latching is better than pumping. BB is the best pump in the world.
U can't compare the amt u pumped wif n w/o latching. Wif latching your bb already drew out some milk

My belief. Wat is natural is gd. Why woman produces milk only after delivery? Nature has a reason for it.

To mummies who r bf or trying to bf, determination is the word

furryfurry
The toilet @ my office is ok. Sometimes clean, sometimes dirty. I hate it when ppl do big business while I m expressing. I think of my son, I bite my lips n endure. I feel stressed when there r many ppl waiting outside
I latch on before I go to work, once I reach home, latch to sleep n avg once in the middle of the night

Maraquan
Read your story. U r v strong w/o support fm anyone. For me, I m v lucky to hv a supportive hubby. My parents were not in favor till they watch TV programme dat explains the importance of bf.
Bf is not a bed of roses. I pumped strawberry milk (blood), engorement, thrush (I guess coz self healed), nipple confusion. Slept cumulative of 3 hrs a day when I returned to work initially.
I supplemented my son wif formula when he wz admitted to KKH for jaundice. My ms not established yet. Gave him 3 days soley formula to bring dwn his prolonged bm jaundice. Oso gave him formula once a day due to ignorance dat it's fine dat bf bb doesn't poo for a wk

Shalan
U can't compare the amt u pumped wif n w/o latching. Wif latching your bb already drew out some milk

My belief. Wat is natural is gd. Why woman produces milk only after delivery? Nature has a reason for it.

furryfurry

Maraquan

Shalan

wow, ladies, i'm so glad so many women have come to encourage other mums-to-be and new mums! yay!

shalan, trust bb to take what she needs. dont get too hung up on quantity. if she needs more, your body will produce more. if you want more to store, just increase your pumping/feeding by cutting time in between.

maraquan, i read your story... your statement, "I WILL TRY..." is a reason why many will fail in their attempts. that's why mums-to-be should go in to delivery with EYES WIDE OPEN and HEART n MIND DETERMINED.

i find that mums who say, "i'll try lah... if i have." will be the ones who give up. after the first few days, they think, "don't have, give up". they don't have the mental determination or will to carry on becos they didn't come prepared. esp when the family ss is weak, lagi worse. remember our generation grew up on fm becos our mums were told bf not good. i wouldn't trust my mum to look after my bb becos she would be feeding him things that bb shouldn't be taking like honey becos she's constantly thinking i don't have enough milk for my boy! ARGH!

wow, ladies, i'm so glad so many women have come to encourage other mums-to-be and new mums! yay!

shalan, trust bb to take what she needs. dont get too hung up on quantity. if she needs more, your body will produce more. if you want more to store, just increase your pumping/feeding by cutting time in between.

maraquan, i read your story... your statement, "I WILL TRY..." is a reason why many will fail in their attempts. that's why mums-to-be should go in to delivery with EYES WIDE OPEN and HEART n MIND DETERMINED.

i find that mums who say, "i'll try lah... if i have." will be the ones who give up. after the first few days, they think, "don't have, give up". they don't have the mental determination or will to carry on becos they didn't come prepared. esp when the family ss is weak, lagi worse. remember our generation grew up on fm becos our mums were told bf not good. i wouldn't trust my mum to look after my bb becos she would be feeding him things that bb shouldn't be taking like honey becos she's constantly thinking i don't have enough milk for my boy! ARGH!

Busy day today but can't help dropping in.

Just want to say that for moms who feel that their breasts feel softer or less empty, its not that Supply has dipped, but rather that our breasts have become used to the demand / supply cycle.

Check our www.kellymom.com...
tonnes of resources and almost every question that we have is covered there. HTHs. Be back later: P

P.S. Snort, I agree...its the same as for drug usage during birth e.g. epi...people who say 'try and see how...' end up using...its a mindset la..

Afterall, FM is a relatively new invention...Last time and still today in many areas of the world, FM is too expensive or non-existent. Babies still grow up latching directly from moms. So def. everyone has enough milk...just that its not easy la..for sure. :p

P.P.S. I wouldn't take the doctor's word as the be all and end all. More frequent latchings would help introduce more fluids to the child anyway, and help the jaundiced situation. FM can be introduced in so many ways, if neccessary. Every doc has a different take on every issue. I feel that its better to take whatever is being told to me with a pinch of salt. its just one opinion...
happy.gif

Just want to say that for moms who feel that their breasts feel softer or less empty, its not that Supply has dipped, but rather that our breasts have become used to the demand / supply cycle.

tonnes of resources and almost every question that we have is covered there. HTHs. Be back later: P

P.S. Snort, I agree...its the same as for drug usage during birth e.g. epi...people who say 'try and see how...' end up using...its a mindset la..

Afterall, FM is a relatively new invention...Last time and still today in many areas of the world, FM is too expensive or non-existent. Babies still grow up latching directly from moms. So def. everyone has enough milk...just that its not easy la..for sure. :p

P.P.S. I wouldn't take the doctor's word as the be all and end all. More frequent latchings would help introduce more fluids to the child anyway, and help the jaundiced situation. FM can be introduced in so many ways, if neccessary. Every doc has a different take on every issue. I feel that its better to take whatever is being told to me with a pinch of salt. its just one opinion...
happy.gif

happy.gif

i agree, furryfurry... about the epi as well. that's why i chose to use a hypnobirthing doula becos i knew if i didn't, i'd prob end up with epi. in the end, i had to go c-sect becos of breech.

FM is not really that new... it's been around, just more and more refined to include more nutrients. i grew up on fm and i ain't no spring chicken, i assure you!
happy.gif

also agree that doctor's word not bible truth, hence my take that everyone should be armed with info by reading different opinions and forming your own. sometimes it's tough... like vaccinations....

i agree, furryfurry... about the epi as well. that's why i chose to use a hypnobirthing doula becos i knew if i didn't, i'd prob end up with epi. in the end, i had to go c-sect becos of breech.

FM is not really that new... it's been around, just more and more refined to include more nutrients. i grew up on fm and i ain't no spring chicken, i assure you!
happy.gif

also agree that doctor's word not bible truth, hence my take that everyone should be armed with info by reading different opinions and forming your own. sometimes it's tough... like vaccinations....

happy.gif

Hi Snort

I have been reading your posting in the breastfeeding threads and find them really encouraging.

Before delivery, I have also decided that I want to tbf. However, even though I have learnt abt bf in antenatal class, my initial breadfeeding experience were not successful at all. Baby refused to latch on during my hospital stay. My ignorance on bf let me to agree to the nurse for giving him fm from bottle. His hunger drove his continuous sharp cries and impatience to latch on when milk has not come. Even the lactation consultant failed to latch him on to me and suggested that I just have to pump every 3hrly. I almost want to give up due to exhaustion and disappointment due to failure to latch on. Luckily I have a very supportive husband who persist that I'm doing well on pumping.

I've been pumping for 3 months already until I returned to work last week. Then another nursing mom shared her experience on how she tried to latch her baby on from 3rd to 5th month and finally make it successfully. That very night when I gone home with my baby, I tried to do it again in the middle of his bottle feed. To my surprise, my baby did not fuse and just simply latch on! It's really a miracle to me. I was so thrilled that I can have such a chance to enjoy the special bond with baby thr direct latch on even after 3 months (which I thought that I just have to wait for next baby, hopefully able to do so)

Right now, I'm starting on truly breastfeeding. I look forward to latching him on everyday.

I hope to learn something from you. I have some questions...

I read that the breast will keep on producing milk but I worry if there will not be enough milk for baby if I pump out before his feed? Any minimum interval to wait for breast to build up supply? I still need to pump to supply his feeds during the day.

I tried to latch on in middle of nights, but baby just kept crying and refuse to latch on...Would baby refuse when I am having engorgement? or too much flow for him?

When we say increase the frequency of latching on to keep the supply going, does that mean that we don't wait for baby to be hungry? Let's say baby is on 3 hrly routine, can I feed him even after 1.5hr?

Many thanks!

Hi Snort

I have been reading your posting in the breastfeeding threads and find them really encouraging.

Before delivery, I have also decided that I want to tbf. However, even though I have learnt abt bf in antenatal class, my initial breadfeeding experience were not successful at all. Baby refused to latch on during my hospital stay. My ignorance on bf let me to agree to the nurse for giving him fm from bottle. His hunger drove his continuous sharp cries and impatience to latch on when milk has not come. Even the lactation consultant failed to latch him on to me and suggested that I just have to pump every 3hrly. I almost want to give up due to exhaustion and disappointment due to failure to latch on. Luckily I have a very supportive husband who persist that I'm doing well on pumping.

I've been pumping for 3 months already until I returned to work last week. Then another nursing mom shared her experience on how she tried to latch her baby on from 3rd to 5th month and finally make it successfully. That very night when I gone home with my baby, I tried to do it again in the middle of his bottle feed. To my surprise, my baby did not fuse and just simply latch on! It's really a miracle to me. I was so thrilled that I can have such a chance to enjoy the special bond with baby thr direct latch on even after 3 months (which I thought that I just have to wait for next baby, hopefully able to do so)

Right now, I'm starting on truly breastfeeding. I look forward to latching him on everyday.

I read that the breast will keep on producing milk but I worry if there will not be enough milk for baby if I pump out before his feed? Any minimum interval to wait for breast to build up supply? I still need to pump to supply his feeds during the day.

I tried to latch on in middle of nights, but baby just kept crying and refuse to latch on...Would baby refuse when I am having engorgement? or too much flow for him?

When we say increase the frequency of latching on to keep the supply going, does that mean that we don't wait for baby to be hungry? Let's say baby is on 3 hrly routine, can I feed him even after 1.5hr?

Many thanks!

Hi Snort

Many thanks!

Thanks to those that read my story. I cannot stop bfing now because my bb refuse to take the bottle at all. Muahahaha, nobody is asking me to stop now or their dear grandson will chose to go hunger strike.

terrier,
If bb refuse to drink due to too fast flow or chock, try to feed him while u lie on your back and your bb on top of you.

I think if you latch on all the time, you dun have to keep supply going because your body will produce enough milk for your baby. I usually feed on demand unless bb is crying and I need to shut him up, or feed he before going out.

Thanks to those that read my story. I cannot stop bfing now because my bb refuse to take the bottle at all. Muahahaha, nobody is asking me to stop now or their dear grandson will chose to go hunger strike.

terrier,
If bb refuse to drink due to too fast flow or chock, try to feed him while u lie on your back and your bb on top of you.

I think if you latch on all the time, you dun have to keep supply going because your body will produce enough milk for your baby. I usually feed on demand unless bb is crying and I need to shut him up, or feed he before going out.

Back