BREASTFEEDING - Personal musings on how I managed to do it successfully

hi natnic,

anxiety does add stress and that would affect letdown. sounds diff but MUST be relaxed during expressing and think happy thoughts.
happy.gif
no remedy for that but just gotta try. think of baby or lie down for a while b4 expressing. sounds diff but that's what the LC at TMC recommended so body's relaxed and milk can flow. pple also say think of waterfall gushing so milk will flow...

some babies would only take BM and not take anything during the time mummy's away. they won't starve i guess. they're human so might just take a little to 'tahan' till mummy's back. is bb rejecting FM or the bottle?

with regards to pump, i heard that some pumps are more effective than others. i'm using the ameda lactaline and it's worked fine for me thus far. maybe you could try drinking fish/papaya soup? it really works but must be taken for at least 3 days in a row then after that once or twice a week.

when i 1st started expressing, also only got 20ml both sides! stressed with bb not drinking well and losing wt you see...then drank the soup, tried thinking happy thoughts and then gradually ss increased. now producing more than bb needs
happy.gif

good luck and happy thoughts to you
happy.gif

hi natnic,

anxiety does add stress and that would affect letdown. sounds diff but MUST be relaxed during expressing and think happy thoughts.
happy.gif
no remedy for that but just gotta try. think of baby or lie down for a while b4 expressing. sounds diff but that's what the LC at TMC recommended so body's relaxed and milk can flow. pple also say think of waterfall gushing so milk will flow...

some babies would only take BM and not take anything during the time mummy's away. they won't starve i guess. they're human so might just take a little to 'tahan' till mummy's back. is bb rejecting FM or the bottle?

with regards to pump, i heard that some pumps are more effective than others. i'm using the ameda lactaline and it's worked fine for me thus far. maybe you could try drinking fish/papaya soup? it really works but must be taken for at least 3 days in a row then after that once or twice a week.

when i 1st started expressing, also only got 20ml both sides! stressed with bb not drinking well and losing wt you see...then drank the soup, tried thinking happy thoughts and then gradually ss increased. now producing more than bb needs
happy.gif

good luck and happy thoughts to you
happy.gif

hi natnic, u may want to persist in giving her FM once in a while, cos they'll usually reject the first few times as it's unfamiliar to them. some mummies mix with BM at the beginning. can also get someone else to feed him. You shouldnt be around cos he can "smell" you..
happy.gif

hi natnic, u may want to persist in giving her FM once in a while, cos they'll usually reject the first few times as it's unfamiliar to them. some mummies mix with BM at the beginning. can also get someone else to feed him. You shouldnt be around cos he can "smell" you..
happy.gif

happy.gif

Yeah, know the relax=more milk theory & trying hard to put in practice. May b try too hard :p

BB rejecting FM. If BM in bottle, will grudgingly take some. Must be pure BM. When I tried mixing FM with BM, she "puui.." out the mixture. Hence my anxiety to make sure she has enough when I back go to work.

ting ting - will persist in giving her FM coz I need a back-up even in the happy situation that I can express adequately in office. Hopefully when I start her on solids, she'll take to FM. Only starting her on solid at the end of this month (when she is closer to 6mths old) coz her daddy and older sis hv ecezma. PD said dun start so soon.

Yeah, know the relax=more milk theory & trying hard to put in practice. May b try too hard :p

BB rejecting FM. If BM in bottle, will grudgingly take some. Must be pure BM. When I tried mixing FM with BM, she "puui.." out the mixture. Hence my anxiety to make sure she has enough when I back go to work.

ting ting - will persist in giving her FM coz I need a back-up even in the happy situation that I can express adequately in office. Hopefully when I start her on solids, she'll take to FM. Only starting her on solid at the end of this month (when she is closer to 6mths old) coz her daddy and older sis hv ecezma. PD said dun start so soon.

Hi working mummies who pump milk in office,

As i am heading back to work force soon, i'll like some advices on pumping milk in office. I will be bringing a sterlised manual pump in a ziplock bag and ice bag as well to store the milk on my way home. Just wondering, if i need to pump more then once in the office, how do i sterlise the pump effectively? any other advices from the experienced mummies?

Hope someone can help me out.

As i am heading back to work force soon, i'll like some advices on pumping milk in office. I will be bringing a sterlised manual pump in a ziplock bag and ice bag as well to store the milk on my way home. Just wondering, if i need to pump more then once in the office, how do i sterlise the pump effectively? any other advices from the experienced mummies?

natnic, come to think of it, my boy seemed more receptive after we intro cereal to him. used FM to blend. so remember to get those w/out milk so u can add your own.

misaryeo, any hot water available in your office? what i did was to bring a sturdy large tupperware that can withstand heat, and soak the pump in hot water there. else, can buy sterilising tablets. still need a container for that.

natnic, come to think of it, my boy seemed more receptive after we intro cereal to him. used FM to blend. so remember to get those w/out milk so u can add your own.

misaryeo, any hot water available in your office? what i did was to bring a sturdy large tupperware that can withstand heat, and soak the pump in hot water there. else, can buy sterilising tablets. still need a container for that.

hi ting ting, thks for ur advise. yah hor nv think of a tupperware n sterlising pills, btw r u using manual pump also?

hi ting ting, thks for ur advise. yah hor nv think of a tupperware n sterlising pills, btw r u using manual pump also?

Hi misaryeo

Does your office have microwave? Another simple way is to put your pump and bottles facing downward in a container meant for microwave heating (quite cheap, can get from major supermarkets). Just add a little water, use high heat and microwave for 3-5mins. This acts like our normal steam sterilizer.

Hi misaryeo

Does your office have microwave? Another simple way is to put your pump and bottles facing downward in a container meant for microwave heating (quite cheap, can get from major supermarkets). Just add a little water, use high heat and microwave for 3-5mins. This acts like our normal steam sterilizer.

Hi misaryeo

Abt using microwave to sterilise, do chk your pump's specs first. I know that Medela & Ameda pumps shd not be sterilised by microwave (it's in their user guides).

Ok for Advent pumps though; They hv the Avent microwave steriliser afterall.

Abt using microwave to sterilise, do chk your pump's specs first. I know that Medela & Ameda pumps shd not be sterilised by microwave (it's in their user guides).

oh yah hor i using Avent maunual to pump in office.. thanks mummiews for the valuable info and wish me luck. i am a freelancer so this is my first time pumping in office after delivered, n in a new work pl too....

very sleepy now cos my deasr bb slept at 4AM yesterday! dunno is it my milk got problem or wat? or i hav done something wrong... haiz.. any mummies here faced wif such problem b4?

oh yah hor i using Avent maunual to pump in office.. thanks mummiews for the valuable info and wish me luck. i am a freelancer so this is my first time pumping in office after delivered, n in a new work pl too....

very sleepy now cos my deasr bb slept at 4AM yesterday! dunno is it my milk got problem or wat? or i hav done something wrong... haiz.. any mummies here faced wif such problem b4?

hoe long do u feed your 3 month old bb on the breast? Mine only drinks about 10 mins from 1 side per feeding. Is it ok? I am afraid that he is not full. When I make him drink more, he refuses and would struggle and cry. There is no way I can force him to drink more. The same thing happens when I bottle feed him. He would drink 90 ml and not drink the rest. Previously he was drinking 150 ml. i am getting worried. Please help!

hoe long do u feed your 3 month old bb on the breast? Mine only drinks about 10 mins from 1 side per feeding. Is it ok? I am afraid that he is not full. When I make him drink more, he refuses and would struggle and cry. There is no way I can force him to drink more. The same thing happens when I bottle feed him. He would drink 90 ml and not drink the rest. Previously he was drinking 150 ml. i am getting worried. Please help!

Hi Nat&Nic

I couldn't find the specs that Medela pumps cannot be sterilised by microwave...Can you highlight where to find it? Thanks

Hi Nat&Nic

I couldn't find the specs that Medela pumps cannot be sterilised by microwave...Can you highlight where to find it? Thanks

Hi Nat&Nic

missk - when my baby was abt 3 mths old, she also took abt 10min only. Now at 5 mths even shorter - abt 5 minutes. So long as he is gaining wt, think it's ok
happy.gif

terrier - I have returned the PIS to fren (am using the Ameda Lactaline Personal now), so can't pinpt exact page which says no microwave oven. But I know I've read the clause coz I had to ask fren besides the recommended boiling and not to use microwave, can use steam steriliser or not. Hv you tried the section on cleaning the pump?

missk - when my baby was abt 3 mths old, she also took abt 10min only. Now at 5 mths even shorter - abt 5 minutes. So long as he is gaining wt, think it's ok
happy.gif

terrier - I have returned the PIS to fren (am using the Ameda Lactaline Personal now), so can't pinpt exact page which says no microwave oven. But I know I've read the clause coz I had to ask fren besides the recommended boiling and not to use microwave, can use steam steriliser or not. Hv you tried the section on cleaning the pump?

happy.gif

hey natandnick ..thanks for assuring me!

You can call medela to ask them. I was told by them not to put the valves in the steriliser. Just use hot water will do. Also when we use the funnel, put them in the upper tier.

You can call medela to ask them. I was told by them not to put the valves in the steriliser. Just use hot water will do. Also when we use the funnel, put them in the upper tier.

Sigh... in these four days of fairly regular pumping, today's perfce is the worst. Can barely get 20ml after close to half hour of effort. How depressing.

It's surprising how one's self-worth is suddenly tied to how much BM one can expressed.

Sigh... in these four days of fairly regular pumping, today's perfce is the worst. Can barely get 20ml after close to half hour of effort. How depressing.

It's surprising how one's self-worth is suddenly tied to how much BM one can expressed.

Back