BREASTFEEDING - Personal musings on how I managed to do it successfully

tingting,
i dun feed him both sides cos he doesnt want anymore after finishing the first. and i alternate every feed, else get very lopsided. heard theres 25 nipple holes, but dun seem to see 25 strems of milk... or is that suposed to be the case? wen engorged, after bb feed, do feel its much much lighter.. so i presume its ok?

snort,
i alternate them every time, unless my boy latches on it for few hours in the nite wen sleeping. as for the pumping, the parentcraft person insisted i pump cos she heard my boy only wanna feed on one side. so she said i must pump the other side out to prevent the milk from sitting too long in the other side, and resulting in plugged ducts.

i think mabe something wrong with my feeding hours. sometimes wen he is very tired, he doesnt finish his feed at one go. he drinks a bit, fall asleep a while, then drink again, and the cycle goes on. then after that he can dun drink for like 4/5 hours. so the other side becomes engorged at times. then wen parencraft said tt, i got kinda worried will really get plugged ducts, and ended up my milk dry up.

actually i dun mind feeding him in the lying down, but wen it bcomes a habit, i cant feed him in that way wen we are out lor.. then i try to move away before, but he wakes up after that, then will his sleep bcomes very disturbed?? i try ur method see how.

then the lying down recently dun work very well le. dunno is it bcos he still quite full or wat, but he doesnt wanna feed as often, and cries very badly wen i try feed him, even walk around the house while latching him.. and bouncing arn as well.. isit a nursing strike? or isit bcos of the effect of letting him sleep in a sarong? or isit really so accurate, the doc said his weight gain was gd, so for such bbs, they will start to drink less from now on.

to all,
anyway, i found a hotline, quite helpful in answering our enquiries on breastfeeding. its called "joyful parenting", with certified lactation consultants to help. i called them and the lady was very helpful. if anyone wants to seek urgent help or whatsoever, feel free to call 64880286. email: [email protected]

cin, guess you'll have to work thro different positions with your bb. if his weight gain is good, then don't worry. they do start to drink a little more efficiently and it's always "watch the bb, not the clock" that we should be mindful of. if you feel engorged and it's been many hours since last feeding, pump. if you don't feel engorged, then it should be ok not to pump. the body adjusts itself.

maybe they asked u to pump becos you were suffering engorgement. the prob with pumping is that if you pump when your bb doesn't need it, your body keeps producing and you'll keep having engorgement. try pumping to relieve engorgement but not to drain your breasts. eventually an equilibrium will be reached whereby your bb and your body are in sync.

cin, guess you'll have to work thro different positions with your bb. if his weight gain is good, then don't worry. they do start to drink a little more efficiently and it's always "watch the bb, not the clock" that we should be mindful of. if you feel engorged and it's been many hours since last feeding, pump. if you don't feel engorged, then it should be ok not to pump. the body adjusts itself.

maybe they asked u to pump becos you were suffering engorgement. the prob with pumping is that if you pump when your bb doesn't need it, your body keeps producing and you'll keep having engorgement. try pumping to relieve engorgement but not to drain your breasts. eventually an equilibrium will be reached whereby your bb and your body are in sync.

hi cin, think the most i counted was about 10+ jets, and i was already amazed! yes, if ur baby can get the milk, engorgement should subside after feed. after some days, ur body should self-regulate and reduce supply accordingly. though i dun have engorgement problems, except for the 1st week, i leak a lot, until about 4-5months when i no longer need breast pads to catch the milk at night. of course, u may still leak initially whenever baby changes feeding pattern, e.g. sleeping longer during the night. if u dowan to maintain ur old supply (and store up the excess), just pump a bit to relieve e fullness, and ur body will again self-regulate.

hi cin, think the most i counted was about 10+ jets, and i was already amazed! yes, if ur baby can get the milk, engorgement should subside after feed. after some days, ur body should self-regulate and reduce supply accordingly. though i dun have engorgement problems, except for the 1st week, i leak a lot, until about 4-5months when i no longer need breast pads to catch the milk at night. of course, u may still leak initially whenever baby changes feeding pattern, e.g. sleeping longer during the night. if u dowan to maintain ur old supply (and store up the excess), just pump a bit to relieve e fullness, and ur body will again self-regulate.

snort
thanks a lot. well, they said that got lump on that side, and she pinched out a piece of flesh from underneath. then again, i dunno if she meant that as an engorgement or plugged ducts. another LC said i dont need to pump actually, as bb my body will regulate according to bb's needs. jus make sure to let bb empty that side as much as particular. i agree abt ur pumping thing. if keep pumping, then it bcomes engorged more easily. but i like ur idea of pumping out part of it. maybe if i got engorged again, i can pump out slightly. thanks a lot snort.

tingting
ya, i think bout 10 streams i saw also, wen i pump. but wen letdown only 4-5 streams spraying out if bb unlatch. isit normal? think its not a prob with bad milk flow rite? jus that wen bb latch on, really dunno how much he is taking mah. but its really amazing at how that small nipple can have so many jets.. heheh... wen i was younger, i used to think nipple no holes, how to give milk??? amazing....
biggrin.gif

anyway, seems that things are getting better now, and hope it keeps getting better.. and i am succumbing to my bb habit of lying down to sleep... gosh... almost feed him like that the whole day... this is bad, but better than he not wanting to drink and cry badly.

anyway, thanks for the advice folks. cheers.
kao_cheers.gif

snort
thanks a lot. well, they said that got lump on that side, and she pinched out a piece of flesh from underneath. then again, i dunno if she meant that as an engorgement or plugged ducts. another LC said i dont need to pump actually, as bb my body will regulate according to bb's needs. jus make sure to let bb empty that side as much as particular. i agree abt ur pumping thing. if keep pumping, then it bcomes engorged more easily. but i like ur idea of pumping out part of it. maybe if i got engorged again, i can pump out slightly. thanks a lot snort.

tingting
ya, i think bout 10 streams i saw also, wen i pump. but wen letdown only 4-5 streams spraying out if bb unlatch. isit normal? think its not a prob with bad milk flow rite? jus that wen bb latch on, really dunno how much he is taking mah. but its really amazing at how that small nipple can have so many jets.. heheh... wen i was younger, i used to think nipple no holes, how to give milk??? amazing....
biggrin.gif

anyway, seems that things are getting better now, and hope it keeps getting better.. and i am succumbing to my bb habit of lying down to sleep... gosh... almost feed him like that the whole day... this is bad, but better than he not wanting to drink and cry badly.

kao_cheers.gif

snort

tingting
biggrin.gif

kao_cheers.gif

cin, hope your prob has ironed itself out. i feel for your distress... i know how stressful it must be wanting to bf your bb and yet facing all these questions. best you get it all answered at once by an LC.

cin, hope your prob has ironed itself out. i feel for your distress... i know how stressful it must be wanting to bf your bb and yet facing all these questions. best you get it all answered at once by an LC.

hi cin, that's why i like direct latching. dunno how much he drinks, so no need to worry! so long as he pees n poos that's fine by me.. haha.. i'm glad that i read up during pregnancy stage.. really helped me go through the puzzling times e.g. why baby poos so much/little, why poo so funny colour, etc. when my parents ask me the same questions, i know it's a normal thing and has ready answers for them. that makes me more confident.
happy.gif

hi cin, that's why i like direct latching. dunno how much he drinks, so no need to worry! so long as he pees n poos that's fine by me.. haha.. i'm glad that i read up during pregnancy stage.. really helped me go through the puzzling times e.g. why baby poos so much/little, why poo so funny colour, etc. when my parents ask me the same questions, i know it's a normal thing and has ready answers for them. that makes me more confident.
happy.gif

happy.gif

Hello to all mummies here,

i have been breast feeding my bb gal for 2 mths 2 weeks and 2 days old... i gave her EBM during day time and direct bf during nite time coz i goin bck to work next week.. hope fully that i can continute to bf my gal gal...coz my company is not pro on bf..and guess i gonna use toilet to pump out the milk...however i got tons of EBM in my freezer.. hopefully i won;'t have to use them...

482605.png
482606.jpg

i have been breast feeding my bb gal for 2 mths 2 weeks and 2 days old... i gave her EBM during day time and direct bf during nite time coz i goin bck to work next week.. hope fully that i can continute to bf my gal gal...coz my company is not pro on bf..and guess i gonna use toilet to pump out the milk...however i got tons of EBM in my freezer.. hopefully i won;'t have to use them...

482605.png
482606.jpg

482605.png
482606.jpg

good luck with the pumping in the toilet.
happy.gif
great that you are gonna keep it up. your bb is too cute!

i always get comments that my bb is healthy and attribute it to bf-ing. i also take supplements which i hope will pass on to my boy indirectly.

so far so good...
happy.gif

i agree with tingting... just latch on, don't need to worry about quantity. bb drinks however much he wants.

happy.gif

i always get comments that my bb is healthy and attribute it to bf-ing. i also take supplements which i hope will pass on to my boy indirectly.

so far so good...
happy.gif

i agree with tingting... just latch on, don't need to worry about quantity. bb drinks however much he wants.

happy.gif

so far so good...
happy.gif

Hi!

Any mummies going to the Breastfest? I'm going. Hope to see you all there!

Just a reminder that the BreastFest organised by the Breastfeeding
Mothers' Support Group (Singapore) is on this Sunday. Do come by with your
nursing child, especially for the Lunch@Moms event to help set a
National Record for Breasfeeding!

Details:

WBW BreastFEST: 13 August 2006
Time: 10am to 4pm
Venue: Tampines West Community Club

http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/events/latestevents.html

Hi!

Details:

Hi!

Details:

is it true that total breastfed babies will not fall sick that often?
i often hear people saying that, but seems like my baby always down with flu, fever, cough etc and he is totaly breastfed. anyone can share?

i often hear people saying that, but seems like my baby always down with flu, fever, cough etc and he is totaly breastfed. anyone can share?

Hi littlefire
I think bf babies does not mean they dun fall sick often. I think it meant that if they fall sick, they can healed faster, I think. I dun think there is anyway to prevent the babies not to fall sick esp if they interact with other babies or being brought out to crowded places.

Hi littlefire
I think bf babies does not mean they dun fall sick often. I think it meant that if they fall sick, they can healed faster, I think. I dun think there is anyway to prevent the babies not to fall sick esp if they interact with other babies or being brought out to crowded places.

Hi littlefire

Agree with triniti, both my children were breastfed for at least 6mths then i put them on formula. of course they fall sick, but each time they fall sick, symptoms are mild and they recover quickly. in fact, hubby always say the kids don't look sick when they are sick!
happy.gif

read somewhere that it is common for kids to fall prey to the common cold at least 8-10 times a year, which means they would be sick almost every month! sad but true. kids need to fall sick to build immunity and get stronger...and as triniti said, germs are everywhere!

Agree with triniti, both my children were breastfed for at least 6mths then i put them on formula. of course they fall sick, but each time they fall sick, symptoms are mild and they recover quickly. in fact, hubby always say the kids don't look sick when they are sick!
happy.gif

read somewhere that it is common for kids to fall prey to the common cold at least 8-10 times a year, which means they would be sick almost every month! sad but true. kids need to fall sick to build immunity and get stronger...and as triniti said, germs are everywhere!

happy.gif

ya lor very sad he sees pd almost every month, sometimes every two weeks. at first he recover quite fast but now i noticed the recovery period seemed to stretch longer. do mummies give their babies vits?

ya lor very sad he sees pd almost every month, sometimes every two weeks. at first he recover quite fast but now i noticed the recovery period seemed to stretch longer. do mummies give their babies vits?

littlefire, no need to give vits unless doc recommends. but take note to have balanced diets so that your BM will be packed with nutrients! Remember, garbage in, garbage out! Sigh, i've already been deprived of KFC and coke for ages!

littlefire, no need to give vits unless doc recommends. but take note to have balanced diets so that your BM will be packed with nutrients! Remember, garbage in, garbage out! Sigh, i've already been deprived of KFC and coke for ages!

hi mummies,

Need some advice re expressing and reassurances. M going back to work in Oct after tbfg 2nd baby for the last 5 mths. Just started expressing to stock up EBM supply but every time I pump (using a 2nd hand Ameda Lactaline), I'll be lucky to hit 2oz, if at all. It's only 2 days but getting rather anxious that I can't express. Hv tried using Avent manual but not a lot of luck either.

Hubby think my anxiety is affecting my performance. Think so?

Also, can express means can express, regardless of pump, right?

hi mummies,

Need some advice re expressing and reassurances. M going back to work in Oct after tbfg 2nd baby for the last 5 mths. Just started expressing to stock up EBM supply but every time I pump (using a 2nd hand Ameda Lactaline), I'll be lucky to hit 2oz, if at all. It's only 2 days but getting rather anxious that I can't express. Hv tried using Avent manual but not a lot of luck either.

hi mummies,

nat&nic,

if you've not been expressing, you may have difficulty in experiencing letdowns. anxiety and stress will compound the problem. To share my experience, I TBF my boy for 6 months, and when i came back to work, i could only express 40ml. Tried all sorts of relaxation methods but didn't work. (Perhaps my mind is not yet relaxed) While you're still at home, try to practice a relaxed routine to encourage letdown. Now, i use hand expressing. Still getting the same amount, but can finish the job in a shorter time, plus no need to wash pump. So now my boy is on FM during weekday afternoons, cos i need to express for the entire 5-6 days before it's enough for his 1 feed. I still latch him on every morning and night, and on weekends.

nat&nic,

if you've not been expressing, you may have difficulty in experiencing letdowns. anxiety and stress will compound the problem. To share my experience, I TBF my boy for 6 months, and when i came back to work, i could only express 40ml. Tried all sorts of relaxation methods but didn't work. (Perhaps my mind is not yet relaxed) While you're still at home, try to practice a relaxed routine to encourage letdown. Now, i use hand expressing. Still getting the same amount, but can finish the job in a shorter time, plus no need to wash pump. So now my boy is on FM during weekday afternoons, cos i need to express for the entire 5-6 days before it's enough for his 1 feed. I still latch him on every morning and night, and on weekends.

nat&nic,

Thks. Will try.

I wld admit that I am anxious and this anxiety is compounded by the fact that baby is refusing all types of FM that we tried to "beg, steal or borrow". Worried that she would rather starve than take alternative.

Thks. Will try.

I wld admit that I am anxious and this anxiety is compounded by the fact that baby is refusing all types of FM that we tried to "beg, steal or borrow". Worried that she would rather starve than take alternative.

Thks. Will try.

hi natnic,

anxiety does add stress and that would affect letdown. sounds diff but MUST be relaxed during expressing and think happy thoughts.
happy.gif
no remedy for that but just gotta try. think of baby or lie down for a while b4 expressing. sounds diff but that's what the LC at TMC recommended so body's relaxed and milk can flow. pple also say think of waterfall gushing so milk will flow...

some babies would only take BM and not take anything during the time mummy's away. they won't starve i guess. they're human so might just take a little to 'tahan' till mummy's back. is bb rejecting FM or the bottle?

with regards to pump, i heard that some pumps are more effective than others. i'm using the ameda lactaline and it's worked fine for me thus far. maybe you could try drinking fish/papaya soup? it really works but must be taken for at least 3 days in a row then after that once or twice a week.

when i 1st started expressing, also only got 20ml both sides! stressed with bb not drinking well and losing wt you see...then drank the soup, tried thinking happy thoughts and then gradually ss increased. now producing more than bb needs
happy.gif

good luck and happy thoughts to you
happy.gif

Back