BREASTFEEDING - Personal musings on how I managed to do it successfully

lala, sounds like your precious is trying to find comfort... either that or she may have gas? one thing about parenthood, the initial months are full of guesswork until we learn how to figure them out.
happy.gif
she could also be overhungry? if you find that she does that, maybe try priming or pumping some milk out first to get a faster letdown?

anastasia, as long as you pump during weekday, shd be ok.

MTDT, generally if you've left your milk to stand for more than a day, i'd play safe and throw it away. milk in the fridge usu safe for 24 hours. your bb's health more important than that one bottle....
happy.gif

butterang, your bb may have found the bottle teat easier to suck and hence rejecting your breast, esp if you have a slower letdown. maybe prime or pump before feeding? there is a medela contraption that you can feed your bb ebm thro and yet get bb to suck on your breast... but it sounds like a lot to do in the middle of the nite!
happy.gif

lala, sounds like your precious is trying to find comfort... either that or she may have gas? one thing about parenthood, the initial months are full of guesswork until we learn how to figure them out.
happy.gif
she could also be overhungry? if you find that she does that, maybe try priming or pumping some milk out first to get a faster letdown?

anastasia, as long as you pump during weekday, shd be ok.

MTDT, generally if you've left your milk to stand for more than a day, i'd play safe and throw it away. milk in the fridge usu safe for 24 hours. your bb's health more important than that one bottle....
happy.gif

butterang, your bb may have found the bottle teat easier to suck and hence rejecting your breast, esp if you have a slower letdown. maybe prime or pump before feeding? there is a medela contraption that you can feed your bb ebm thro and yet get bb to suck on your breast... but it sounds like a lot to do in the middle of the nite!
happy.gif

anastasia....you maybe having a 2nd letdown. I ever experienced 2-3 let-down with my Medela PIS in the 15-25min session.

Snort.... need you advice. As you know i sleep through the nite, in the morning i only latch 1 side and pump after that, I'm able to yield about 120-150ml. In the day at work, i barely managed 90-130ml, will decrease as i go down the day!!!

anastasia....you maybe having a 2nd letdown. I ever experienced 2-3 let-down with my Medela PIS in the 15-25min session.

Snort.... need you advice. As you know i sleep through the nite, in the morning i only latch 1 side and pump after that, I'm able to yield about 120-150ml. In the day at work, i barely managed 90-130ml, will decrease as i go down the day!!!

yes indeed !!! ss does drop through the day which is why when solids are first offered, they advise maybe start in evening when milk ss low. 90-130ml is still not too bad. you're doing so well, you know!morning always gives the best yield.

yes indeed !!! ss does drop through the day which is why when solids are first offered, they advise maybe start in evening when milk ss low. 90-130ml is still not too bad. you're doing so well, you know!morning always gives the best yield.

Hi Snort,

You mentioned about the medela contraption, is it the Supplemental Nursing System where the product is hung on the neck and tubes inserted in baby mouths at the nipple ??

Hi Snort,

You mentioned about the medela contraption, is it the Supplemental Nursing System where the product is hung on the neck and tubes inserted in baby mouths at the nipple ??

Hi Snort,

Hi Snort/Annissa,
Thanks for the info. Nowadays my girl started to latch BUT must 1st give her some EBM to satisfy her hunger & impatience before she is willing to latch.

Do you think giving bm for 3 mths is sufficient? My workload is rather heavy, thus not sure after maternity, I can keep up with pumping/latching & working....

Hi Snort/Annissa,
Thanks for the info. Nowadays my girl started to latch BUT must 1st give her some EBM to satisfy her hunger & impatience before she is willing to latch.

Do you think giving bm for 3 mths is sufficient? My workload is rather heavy, thus not sure after maternity, I can keep up with pumping/latching & working....

Hi Snort/Annissa,

lala, any period of bm is good... it's individual choice and circumstance. but if you can still nurse in morning and evening before/after work, still better than nothing. no way to pump in office? try first before giving up, ok?!

lala, any period of bm is good... it's individual choice and circumstance. but if you can still nurse in morning and evening before/after work, still better than nothing. no way to pump in office? try first before giving up, ok?!

Lala....i did in the handicap toilet, then moved to the common toilets cos more cubicles with lesser flow of traffic, need key access. Now doing in office's shredder cum main switch control room. Most people will advise that toilet is not a good choice, but but it's still better than nothing. Just realised someone from another team pump in the cleaner's store room instead, do check around for "opportunity". Good luck.

Alternative as suggested by Snort, nurse at home. I nurse in the morning before work, evening when home and bedtime.

Lala....i did in the handicap toilet, then moved to the common toilets cos more cubicles with lesser flow of traffic, need key access. Now doing in office's shredder cum main switch control room. Most people will advise that toilet is not a good choice, but but it's still better than nothing. Just realised someone from another team pump in the cleaner's store room instead, do check around for "opportunity". Good luck.

Alternative as suggested by Snort, nurse at home. I nurse in the morning before work, evening when home and bedtime.

ladies, pumps do not empty breasts well, for me, I will massage my breasts when pumping, kind of like using my hands and the pump simutaneously to pump my milk out. I have been feeding mt gal with EBM since 6 weeks till now. She is four months old now. The supply is still there, just make sure u try yr best to empty your breasts. Must work doubly hard for those mummies who have problem latching! Jia You!!

ladies, pumps do not empty breasts well, for me, I will massage my breasts when pumping, kind of like using my hands and the pump simutaneously to pump my milk out. I have been feeding mt gal with EBM since 6 weeks till now. She is four months old now. The supply is still there, just make sure u try yr best to empty your breasts. Must work doubly hard for those mummies who have problem latching! Jia You!!

Hi...now that I start to latch on baby....I realise baby's suction is so powerful. However, after baby suck on one side and I try to pump out the other side, somehow I found it more difficult to express out the milk then usual leh...dunno y....

Hi...now that I start to latch on baby....I realise baby's suction is so powerful. However, after baby suck on one side and I try to pump out the other side, somehow I found it more difficult to express out the milk then usual leh...dunno y....

hi terrier, don't have an answer for that one... sometimes it takes a while for letdown to occur. try tandem pumping/feeding... usu the milk flow very good when bb feeding at same time.
happy.gif

hi terrier, don't have an answer for that one... sometimes it takes a while for letdown to occur. try tandem pumping/feeding... usu the milk flow very good when bb feeding at same time.
happy.gif

happy.gif

Hi Snort
Heehee...nowadyas, each latch on experience is so precious to me that I don't dare to disturb baby during bf. Last sunday, I got 3 failed attempts out of 4 times. When near to the feeding time, every time I bring bb to the breast, he'll start to wail loudly. I don't know what went wrong, and thought maybe really depends on his mood?

Hi Snort
Heehee...nowadyas, each latch on experience is so precious to me that I don't dare to disturb baby during bf. Last sunday, I got 3 failed attempts out of 4 times. When near to the feeding time, every time I bring bb to the breast, he'll start to wail loudly. I don't know what went wrong, and thought maybe really depends on his mood?

Hi Snort

terrier, i think it's bcos ur body already experienced a letdown, i.e. when baby suckles. so it does not prepare itself for another letdown so quickly?

re: latching, u may want to gently ease ur baby to you, e.g. gentle rocking motion, singing song, slowly guiding him to you. if u're kan cheong baby can also sense it, and cries in reaction.

terrier, i think it's bcos ur body already experienced a letdown, i.e. when baby suckles. so it does not prepare itself for another letdown so quickly?

re: latching, u may want to gently ease ur baby to you, e.g. gentle rocking motion, singing song, slowly guiding him to you. if u're kan cheong baby can also sense it, and cries in reaction.

just saw this thread although i just posted this in another..pls help..

my baby's 9m+ now and almost totally breastfed all the way.. now she's TBF plus solids.. i used to have no problems pumping out my milk.. about 120mls 3 hourly.. now when i feel breast is full and pump (using the PIS) can only pump out 10mls after 45min.. and breast still feels full.. but when my baby latches, can feel the letdown and baby can latch 1 hourly and still have milk, but when pump just can't pump milk out.. anyone experience this? how??? it's a pblm cos i'm going back to work soon and if i can't pump, then baby will have to switch to fm..

my baby's 9m+ now and almost totally breastfed all the way.. now she's TBF plus solids.. i used to have no problems pumping out my milk.. about 120mls 3 hourly.. now when i feel breast is full and pump (using the PIS) can only pump out 10mls after 45min.. and breast still feels full.. but when my baby latches, can feel the letdown and baby can latch 1 hourly and still have milk, but when pump just can't pump milk out.. anyone experience this? how??? it's a pblm cos i'm going back to work soon and if i can't pump, then baby will have to switch to fm..

fushiastar, i face exactly the same problem! i can only get 40ml in 1 session. am only continuing pumping so that i can maintain the supply for afternoon feeds during weekends. what i did initially was to let baby feed on only one side and tandem pump the other during the morning feed (i let him drink fr both sides at night cos he needs to drink more to last him throughout the night). this will supplement his afternoon feed when i'm not around. But now i gave up, and let him supplement w FM during the weekday afternoons. My 1 week's worth of EBM is only enough for his 1 feed. Still haven't found the solution to low output.

fushiastar, i face exactly the same problem! i can only get 40ml in 1 session. am only continuing pumping so that i can maintain the supply for afternoon feeds during weekends. what i did initially was to let baby feed on only one side and tandem pump the other during the morning feed (i let him drink fr both sides at night cos he needs to drink more to last him throughout the night). this will supplement his afternoon feed when i'm not around. But now i gave up, and let him supplement w FM during the weekday afternoons. My 1 week's worth of EBM is only enough for his 1 feed. Still haven't found the solution to low output.

Back