Breastfeeding past one years old

Hi Haystack,

Yup, as what wawapiggyling said, you are still ovulating, so still can get pregnant. Well, I just had the same symptoms of being pregnant, felt like puking and didn't have much appetite. But I guess I was more sensitive and found out I was pregnant at a very early stage and so bought the test kit which was positive. You can call it the woman's instinct.

Hi Haystack,

After I found out that I was pregnant, I continued feeding only for about 2 weeks. As my gal was already 18mths old, she was taking in other solids so it was easy to wean her off. But the milk supply didn't really drop even though I was pregnant but I just didn't want to continue especially with all the symptoms of pregnancy making me tired. Anyway, I thought feeding her for 18mths was long enough.

Now, my 2nd gal's already 4 mths old, so I'm now back in production....
happy.gif

hi mommies..
sorry can i ask hmm that when u stop bb from bfing means u don't pump and let the milk stop on its own? Cause now i only latch 2x a day, first and last feed. all the others are fm feeds. was just thinking about how to totally stop bm painlessly. hahaa.

now he's 6.5mths old and i will continue as long as i can i hope.. but i am wondering if i should stop now or wait till later (maybe he'll want to wean on his own?)

Hi mummies

Currently I'm still breastfeeding my gal (17 mths) with FM supplementing. Now in the dilemma whether to stop anot. Plus my supply now has dropped till 60ml in 6 hours. Wondering if I should stop.

Can any advice? Does anyone have the same situation as me? Ard this age, how much can we pump?

Hi haystack

u r not alone. my boy is 15 mths. i thought i might as well just keep going as long as i can until i burn out from bfing or work. whichever comes first.

i don't think will be difficult to up the supply if u want to now. however, i do feel that we need to consider when is suitable time for us to retire coz the kids won't give us the cue till they are at least 2 years old by statistics.

do mummies here latch and are still able to give EBM by bottle? how do u do it?

hi mommies

me too BFing, gal is 11mths++, going to be 1yr soon. I agree that it's also emotional attachment on our part. I'm nursing her to sleep and am wondering how to cope if i plan for #2 next time and she has not wean yet.

hi everyone,

my boy's now 14 months and we both enjoy breastfeeding. he's totally breastfed but my mum is now pressurising me to give him FM, cos she says my EBM is now not nutritious enough for him and it's true he's rather skinny. i have also noticed that my EBM seems to have less fat and is less thick compared to several months ago before he started solids. should i start supplementing him with FM from a nutritional point of view? i'm quite happy to continue TBM despite the lack of sleep, etc, but am worried if my mum's right. additionally i'm also thinking of trying for #2 in a few months and i'll need to wean him before that. as it is, my boy's not taking much milk during the day (only about 150ml in total) and very much prefers the breast directly. haven't tried fresh milk yet as he's prone to allergies so i'm holding off on fresh milk. he's also not a big eater - seems like he's too busy doing everything else to sit down and eat
happy.gif
any advice from you mummies?

how do u mummies stop breastfeeding totally without the engorgement and pain? Slowly cut down and eventually no more feeds..? I tried cold turkey not to pump today and ended up with a swollen and painful breasts...almost impossible to do anything..

How do u mummies stop BF w/o pain?

slowly drag longer hours between each pump or feed. If usually 4 or 5 hourly apart, then try 6 or 7 hours apart. Gradually over a few days, you won't feel engorged. Then increase the hours in between until it dries up.

Cold turkey is painful. I'm going to stop bf as well. So I'm doing it slowly.

ya have to do it slowly.. cut down on pumps. if you suddenly don't express, the milk accumulation will surely cause some discomfort.

I heard from my mum during her time that docs can give some meds to help to stop breastfeeding though.. not sure if it's still in use.

Ai @ http://www.sakuraharuka.com

Back