Blood sugar level high during pregnancy

serlynagoh

Hi all, anyone can advise. After blood test, result out blood sugar level abit high. Nurse mentioned need to start monitor blood sugar every 7 times a day. Anyone been doing this during pregnancy... who can advise.. I'm super worried and afraid of going through.. Please help...

for both my pregnancies.. I had to did it due to family history of diabetic.
You need to learn to control your sugar intake or the baby may get too big for birth.
It is only for 2 days, you need prick your finger and record blood sugar level before and after food.
Email the result to your gynae and he/she will decide if you can just control sugar level via diet.
Both times, i just need control via diet not need insulin jabs.

Hi minakochang, doctor never say... but nurse tell me got to check blood sugar everyday 7 times. I was wondering how to tahan as need to work n how do u cope during pregnancy time? N at work?? Please advise..U only did 2 times. But so far as I know the nurse just told me got to do everyday till end of my pregnancy? Izzit true? Please advise.??

Last edited:
I never encounter need to take blood sugar count everyday till birth.
How about you wait till what the gynae say?
Usually they will refer you to a dietican to plan your diet as well. (eat brown rice, no fruit juice, wholemeal bread)
They will ask you to eat frequently and in small amount instead of 3 large meals.

There is a small device to prick your finger then squeeze 1 drop of blood.
Drip into a stripe which you need insert into a small measuring device.
Result out in a few secs.

The device can be carry everywhere. Will not affect work at all.
The 7 times schedule should be as below

before breakfast
1hr after breakfast
before lunch
1hr after lunch
before dinner
1hr after dinner
before sleep

I never encounter need to take blood sugar count everyday till birth.
How about you wait till what the gynae say?
Usually they will refer you to a dietican to plan your diet as well. (eat brown rice, no fruit juice, wholemeal bread)
They will ask you to eat frequently and in small amount instead of 3 large meals.

There is a small device to prick your finger then squeeze 1 drop of blood.
Drip into a stripe which you need insert into a small measuring device.
Result out in a few secs.

The device can be carry everywhere. Will not affect work at all.
The 7 times schedule should be as below

before breakfast
1hr after breakfast
before lunch
1hr after lunch
before dinner
1hr after dinner
before sleep
So means need to bring the device and take 7 times a day before until give birth?? Izzit painful to prick our finger? So means everyday got to check am I right? Please advise. Thanks alot...

For my case as I mention only prick 7x a day for 2 days. I do not need to monitor till birth. A bit painful so you need to switch fingers for each prick. Dun worry too much.. wait and see what the doc says.

For my case as I mention only prick 7x a day for 2 days. I do not need to monitor till birth. A bit painful so you need to switch fingers for each prick. Dun worry too much.. wait and see what the doc says.
Ok sure. Thanks alot for ur advise. I will check with doctor instead of the nurse.. like u say best is I check with doctor and I will think positively. Thank you

Hi serlygoh, my gynae is Dr Benjamin Tham from TMC.
I delivered my 2 princesses under him.
#1 natural with epiural
#2 emergency c-section with epidural
Currently preggy with #3, will be seeing him again end of Sep.
Hi minakochang, congrats on ur pregnancy too... will Google more abt doctor. Can I know where his clinic at?

Just found out that my blood sugar is a bit high. Have been told to cut down on sugar and carbs. Doc will check again during my next checkup...

Cut down (or out) all sugars e.g. sugary drinks, sugar, reduce carbs and up your protein intake.

I had GD during my pregnancy and I had to do finger prick test before and after meal and just before bed so basically was checking 7 times a day. I had to take insulin shots too.

The positive thing is because I drastically cut out all sugars and reduced carb, I didn't put on weight during my pregnancy. To curb hunger, I ate a lot more meat and fish and I had multiple small meals to manage my sugar level.

Doc didn't advise u on the diet?

You have to cut processed carbs (cause spike in sugar level), high sugar leve fruits like watermelon, carbonated drinks, fruit juices, etc.

Also u need to eat small meals every 2 to 3hrs to maintain your sugar level. Do not eat standard meals as per normal. Eat unprocessed carbs is good for u though coz it helps to maintain the sugar level.

The thing about having high sugar is that baby may gain too much weight, and you may need C-section coz baby too big. That's why must control sugar level.

I read up to say that there's possibility that the child may have type 2 diabetes next time if I have GD now.. that kinds of worry me.. feeling guilty that I may pass down to my baby.

Hi all, i also have GD. I just went for a 'counselling' session at KKH and have to now monitor my blood sugar level 7x a day. But my blood sugar is still high and the nurses tells me that i need to be admitted in the hospital and take insulin japs. Any moms out there gone through the same thing? I'm very worried and discouraged cos i really cut down alot on my sugar etc but its still so high. :(

Hi all, i also have GD. I just went for a 'counselling' session at KKH and have to now monitor my blood sugar level 7x a day. But my blood sugar is still high and the nurses tells me that i need to be admitted in the hospital and take insulin japs. Any moms out there gone through the same thing? I'm very worried and discouraged cos i really cut down alot on my sugar etc but its still so high. :(
I don't have GD because I am already a type 1 diabetic.
Sugar control has to be very strict...even my diabetic doctor is monitoring me closely.
Have to monitor sugar levels and do insulin jabs... I'm doing a few jabs a day.

If it's still high despite your control, then you have to take insulin jabs already . I guess it cannot be avoided.

I don't have GD because I am already a type 1 diabetic.
Sugar control has to be very strict...even my diabetic doctor is monitoring me closely.
Have to monitor sugar levels and do insulin jabs... I'm doing a few jabs a day.

If it's still high despite your control, then you have to take insulin jabs already . I guess it cannot be avoided.

Thanks for this. :)

Back