Blood spotting in first trimester

Yes it’s normal. But do go to see doc if the blood is bright red (fresh blood) and it’s more than spotting.
A bit of blood spotting is expected due to the expansion of the uterus.

Thanks Mich! Much relieved. Its not bright red as such but I guess I would go see a doc tomorrow to clear my doubts and worries.

No worries. Are you currently on any medication to support the pregnancy?
If not, it might be good to ask for some.

Not any specific medication to support pregnancy. But I'm taking folic acid, calcium and iron tablets. Is that enough?

Those are supplements. Medication only if required and prescribed by doc. Hope your doc visit went well.

No more spotting. It stopped by itself the next day. And since then no signs of spotting. I'll be seeing the doc this friday. So hopefully should be all fine.

JennyDec19,

Do ask for medication support such as Duphaston or proluton jab if necessary. Hope your spotting goes away soon. Take care!

What if the spotting doesn’t stop? It has been 2 weeks now, given jab, Duphaston n even bedrest but still ongoing. Anyone has similar experience ?

How frequent is your jab? Your Duphaston 3 times per day? Have to continue bedrest as much as possible.. I heard from others that, they only walk to go bath or toilet. Other than that, they just rest on the bed & eat at the bed.

How frequent is your jab? Your Duphaston 3 times per day? Have to continue bedrest as much as possible.. I heard from others that, they only walk to go bath or toilet. Other than that, they just rest on the bed & eat at the bed.

I only go for the jab when the bleeding gets heavy.. so far already 4x in 2-3 weeks .. Duphaston also 3x a day. But now dr reduced my Duphaston to 2x but add on utrogestan insert as well.

I only go for the jab when the bleeding gets heavy.. so far already 4x in 2-3 weeks .. Duphaston also 3x a day. But now dr reduced my Duphaston to 2x but add on utrogestan insert as well.

Perhaps you may want to ask for once or twice weekly proluton. I started spotting on my 6th week again and before that my progesterone level went down, I asked for the maximum support - Duphaston X 3 & proluton jab weekly, regardless if I spot/bleed or not. Coz I think the support has to continue until our condition has stablized. Hope you get to talk with your doctor about it and get the support.

Perhaps you may want to ask for once or twice weekly proluton. I started spotting on my 6th week again and before that my progesterone level went down, I asked for the maximum support - Duphaston X 3 & proluton jab weekly, regardless if I spot/bleed or not. Coz I think the support has to continue until our condition has stablized. Hope you get to talk with your doctor about it and get the support.

Thanks for the suggestion !

In my 5th week now, spotting a lot yesterday, went to the hosp, given a jab. Had a scan and the sac was fine and growing.

Still spotting this morning despite bed rest yesterday. I'm on utrogestan, progynova and daily progesterone injections. My next review is next week!

Is this kind of spotting normal? It ranges from dark brown to reddish pink and is only visible when i wipe.

In my 5th week now, spotting a lot yesterday, went to the hosp, given a jab. Had a scan and the sac was fine and growing.

Still spotting this morning despite bed rest yesterday. I'm on utrogestan, progynova and daily progesterone injections. My next review is next week!

Is this kind of spotting normal? It ranges from dark brown to reddish pink and is only visible when i wipe.

Hugs. It’s worrisome but normal. Good that you could see the sac growing.
Sometimes it takes a while to slow down / stop. I read that it is due to the uterus expanding. Also more common for ivf mummies.
Just keep monitoring and take care.

Sometimes it takes a while to slow down / stop. I read that it is due to the uterus expanding. Also more common for ivf mummies.
Thanks, i have been so worried i scoured the forums for this topic, many said its normal but my gynae said its a 50-50 so i was a bit unsettled.

Thanks, i have been so worried i scoured the forums for this topic, many said its normal but my gynae said its a 50-50 so i was a bit unsettled.

I think your gynae is being cautious cause it’s still too early to be complacent. Not meaning to scare you cause bleeding can of course lead to mc.

But you are already doing your best by resting and monitoring.

I had brown spotting for close to 4 weeks also started at week 5, at one point in time it was bright red more like period. Hospitalised because of it. Slowly it went away after bedrest etc. So I can understand how u feel, pls take good care. Hugs!!

Hi everyone,

I understand this is an old post. But I am curious if your pregnancy made it to birth? I am now 5w6d,i had bleeding last night, gushing out suddenly. So we went to hosp and scanned, basically the pregnancy is there thou no heartbeat yet cos guess it's still early. I was on duphaston 2x a day anow increased to 3x a day. Basically after I started the new dosage, there was only some light spotting.. But i am still nervous.... I wanted to know how everyone update.

Hi I am in a similar situation as well. I am 5w.started with brown spotting but today and 2 days ago had more bleeding, mix of red and brown. Went to KKH twice this week and both times doctor said its fine.. My duphaston already on 3x a week.

Hi I am in a similar situation as well. I am 5w.started with brown spotting but today and 2 days ago had more bleeding, mix of red and brown. Went to KKH twice this week and both times doctor said its fine.. My duphaston already on 3x a week.

Hello. On 6W4D after blood gushing out, I went to scan and saw the heartbeat. Pheww... And I'm on week 9 today. My bleeding stopped after a day of 3x duphaston. However I did have occasional spotting for almost 2 weeks. But now no spotting...

All the best for you.

Hello. On 6W4D after blood gushing out, I went to scan and saw the heartbeat. Pheww... And I'm on week 9 today. My bleeding stopped after a day of 3x duphaston. However I did have occasional spotting for almost 2 weeks. But now no spotting...

All the best for you.

Hi dear,

I tested faint positive but am experiencing spotting for 6 consecutive days. It just got heavier today. Feeling so depressed. You had spotting for 2 weeks? What did doctor say was the cause of it? I’m not all certain I am pregnant, planning to test again tomorrow.

Hi dear,

I tested faint positive but am experiencing spotting for 6 consecutive days. It just got heavier today. Feeling so depressed. You had spotting for 2 weeks? What did doctor say was the cause of it? I’m not all certain I am pregnant, planning to test again tomorrow.
It did not end well for me. I had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks (baby is only 6w2d). Stopped growing few days after I saw the heartbeat. :( my body didn't detect that I miscarried, only spotting and bleeding but didn't pass out the tissue. I had to take pills to remove all.

It did not end well for me. I had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks (baby is only 6w2d). Stopped growing few days after I saw the heartbeat. :( my body didn't detect that I miscarried, only spotting and bleeding but didn't pass out the tissue. I had to take pills to remove all.

Hugs. I’m so sorry. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It must have been tough on you.
For me, the blood flow has started to get heavier and become redder. Feeling so down and scared now. Will be seeing gynae tomorrow.

I have some I issues caused by Elmiron. I'm reading online a lot of articles suggesting that it's one of the most poisonous substances used by some companies. Do you guys have any idea of what should I do?

Had a girlfriend who was on it but was stopped as she felt there was no impact. You may actually want to consult a urogynaecologist (who specializes in pelvic organ prolapse and urinary problems) and see if there are alternative suggestions. If you are looking for a female urogynae, you can consider seeing Dr. Ng Kai Lyn at ACRM.

Back