Baby Wakes Up Very Terrified

celicar

My DD is almost 2 months old, my first child.

One issue that I feel very helpless about is that on certain days, she will very frequently jolt awake from her sleep sounding very frightened, sometimes we can sooth her but other times she will cry uncontrollably and it takes a while to calm her down.

There are so many theories online, like nightmare, reflux, etc.

I am interested in a solution, so far we have tried to swaddle more tightly, put a bigger buckwheat pillow, etc. But the only thing that seem to work is to let her sleep on her tummy, but I don't feel safe doing that as I don't know if she will suddenly face down and suffocate, so I only do it with her sleeping on my tummy.

Is there anyone else who encountered the same issue and what did you do which is effective in making things better, even make such episodes go away?

Do you still “wrap” your gal?

Mayb u can get a small “bean pillow” for her and put on her tummy?

When she is crying, tell her that mummy is here, everything is fine... sing a song for her...

Do you still “wrap” your gal?

Mayb u can get a small “bean pillow” for her and put on her tummy?

When she is crying, tell her that mummy is here, everything is fine... sing a song for her...
Yes, all done, swaddle, place several buckwheat pillows on her, talk to her to sooth her, carry her. It still keeps happening.

If sleeping on her tummy work, probably let her sleep in such way.
Maybe put more pillow around her neck especially, so that she can't turn her head easily.
But such method won't really recommend for a 2 months old baby. As her neck is still very fragile at the beginning, whereby may result her having her head in a awkward position in future.
If you are buddhism/taoism, maybe can get a tailsman.

I second who what cindy recommend in her last sentence.

A friend of mine shared this incident. One of her relative brought their toddler child out (had an outing). Thereafter, they went back home as per normal. Ever since this outing, their child would sometimes cry in a terrified way whenever he was left alone in the room(mother went to prepare milk, cook meals etc). It was a real challenge and it take ages to calm the child down.

They were clueless on what to do and they brought the child to a temple to seek consultation from a deity. The deity told them that their child "clashed" with a wondering spirit during one of their outing and this spirit followed them home. Apparently this spirit had malicious intent and frightened the child when he was left alone. The parents were given instructions on what to do and after they carried out whatever was specified, their child did not experience such episode again.

Just for sharing.

If sleeping on her tummy work, probably let her sleep in such way.
Maybe put more pillow around her neck especially, so that she can't turn her head easily.
But such method won't really recommend for a 2 months old baby. As her neck is still very fragile at the beginning, whereby may result her having her head in a awkward position in future.
If you are buddhism/taoism, maybe can get a tailsman.

Hello Celicar,

don't let them scare you. I believe it is just the 'Moro reflex' or the 'falling reflex'. I experienced it with my firstborn and I was perplexed whenever she would suddenly wake up screaming. It broke my heart to hear her high pitched cries and I swaddled, I soothed and tried bean bags but they all didn't work. Like you I carried her to sleep on me. I was worried about her sleeping on her tummy by herself so I put her on me instead. She would sleep peacefully for 2hours when i did that!

I am not working so I had the luxury to do that everyday. Don't worry it won't last. Probably a a few weeks to a month? When their neck muscles strengthen the reflex usually go away :)

Hang in there!

Hello Celicar,

don't let them scare you. I believe it is just the 'Moro reflex' or the 'falling reflex'. I experienced it with my firstborn and I was perplexed whenever she would suddenly wake up screaming. It broke my heart to hear her high pitched cries and I swaddled, I soothed and tried bean bags but they all didn't work. Like you I carried her to sleep on me. I was worried about her sleeping on her tummy by herself so I put her on me instead. She would sleep peacefully for 2hours when i did that!

I am not working so I had the luxury to do that everyday. Don't worry it won't last. Probably a a few weeks to a month? When their neck muscles strengthen the reflex usually go away :)

Hang in there!
You have right, it's very possible that pillow is the cause of why your Baby wakes up terrified

Back