Baby Scan - Every Visit

Frankie13

Hi,

Currently, we just started seeing Dr. Stephen Chew in NUH and there was no scan.
He told us that the baby scan will only be on week 22, 29, 32.

Is this normal? I remember for private clinic, there will be scan for every visit.
If no scan, how to know whether is the baby is growing well and etc?

My wife and i are very confused now.

Can someone advise?

Thank you.

Hi,

Currently, we just started seeing Dr. Stephen Chew in NUH and there was no scan.

Is this normal? I remember for private clinic, there will be scan for every visit.

Can someone advise?

Thank you.

Hi did u ask dr chew hw come the scan can only be done on those week? Wat if u insist that u Wan ur scan to be done every check up I don’t think he will reject u since is $

Hi,

Can someone advise?

Thank you.
Ya, maybe you can ask him why and how much it cost to add in for the scan?

I don't have scan every visit and I'm fine with it. Cause it's more important to check when the baby grow bigger. The rest mummy have to monitor ourself. cause we feel the kicks, feel our tummy hard or not, discomfort etc..

If mummy feel different, can always ask to check heartbeat. cause I heard often scan is not good for baby.. not sure whether this is true. but my Gynae don't allow me to disturb baby often with scanning not because of $.

Hi did u ask dr chew hw come the scan can only be done on those week? Wat if u insist that u Wan ur scan to be done every check up I don’t think he will reject u since is $

We only visited Dr. Chew once so far. We checked with friends that are seeing him, they told us the same thing. No need to scan every visit.

Dr. Chew just want us to feel whether is the baby moving/kicking you. Also ask us to buy the instructment to hear the heartbeat. So long can feel/hear this 2, that mean baby is ok. The queue for scanning in NUH is very long.

We will ask him again in our visit but there is no scanning machine in his room. Is all centralise in the fetal care clinic.

Ya, maybe you can ask him why and how much it cost to add in for the scan?

I don't have scan every visit and I'm fine with it. Cause it's more important to check when the baby grow bigger. The rest mummy have to monitor ourself. cause we feel the kicks, feel our tummy hard or not, discomfort etc..

If mummy feel different, can always ask to check heartbeat. cause I heard often scan is not good for baby.. not sure whether this is true. but my Gynae don't allow me to disturb baby often with scanning not because of $.

Hi, i didnt know that too much of scanning is bad for the baby.
We are concern on whether is the umbilical cord is wrapping around the neck of the baby. That is why we feel safer if we can see through the scan.

Hi, i didnt know that too much of scanning is bad for the baby.
We are concern on whether is the umbilical cord is wrapping around the neck of the baby. That is why we feel safer if we can see through the scan.

Ur wife now how many weeks pregnant?

That's what I was told. I understand how worried parent can be. I'm having my 2nd now. even for #1 I don't get to scan every visit and we are taught to monitor ourself baby moves and kicks. But since that time we are first time parent, when I feel my tummy very hard, I will call the clinic to seek advice, anything I confuse or worry I will usually call the clinic for advice. Only when i got bleeding, I straight go to A&E and was checked by Gynae on this.

Ya when baby grow bigger, it's more worried of the umbilical cord wrapping around their neck, that's where u can ask for scan (I'm sure they can allow with paying extra). Cause their fingers already fully transform, can start to punch, grab etc..

But NUH FCC always long queue. I'm also at NUH, their queuing superb. haha!

Does he use a Doppler to listen to heartbeat? I understand at earlier weeks before your Wife start to feel e movement, it can be worrying how the baby is doing.

I'm with dr Anu. So far she mostly use Doppler and once or twice ultrasound. At fetal center is e detailed scanning for first, second, third trimester checks (total only 3 scans).

From heartbeat, I think dr chew can tell whether baby is in distress since yr worry is cord entanglement. Why not u share w him yr concern n request him to let u hear heartbeat every time u see him.

My baby gets absolutely flustered during every ultrasound n Doppler check. So perhaps the waves that bounce off e baby is unpleasant?

But don't worry, once your Wife starts to feel movement daily, she will have e peace of mind. I started feeling mine at 14 weeks.

All e best!

Ur wife now how many weeks pregnant?

That's what I was told. I understand how worried parent can be. I'm having my 2nd now. even for #1 I don't get to scan every visit and we are taught to monitor ourself baby moves and kicks. But since that time we are first time parent, when I feel my tummy very hard, I will call the clinic to seek advice, anything I confuse or worry I will usually call the clinic for advice. Only when i got bleeding, I straight go to A&E and was checked by Gynae on this.

Ya when baby grow bigger, it's more worried of the umbilical cord wrapping around their neck, that's where u can ask for scan (I'm sure they can allow with paying extra). Cause their fingers already fully transform, can start to punch, grab etc..

But NUH FCC always long queue. I'm also at NUH, their queuing superb. haha!
Hi, my wife is in her week 26. Everyday we can feel the baby moving. That is one way we can assure ourselves that everything is ok.

What number to call if i have doubt? is it the hotline?

I saw the queue the other day at FCC....wow.........super long queue.

Does he use a Doppler to listen to heartbeat? I understand at earlier weeks before your Wife start to feel e movement, it can be worrying how the baby is doing.

I'm with dr Anu. So far she mostly use Doppler and once or twice ultrasound. At fetal center is e detailed scanning for first, second, third trimester checks (total only 3 scans).

From heartbeat, I think dr chew can tell whether baby is in distress since yr worry is cord entanglement. Why not u share w him yr concern n request him to let u hear heartbeat every time u see him.

My baby gets absolutely flustered during every ultrasound n Doppler check. So perhaps the waves that bounce off e baby is unpleasant?

But don't worry, once your Wife starts to feel movement daily, she will have e peace of mind. I started feeling mine at 14 weeks.

All e best!

Hi, Dr. Chew did not do anything at all during our last visit. Never use doppler to listen and scanning. That is why we are worry about it. He only asked a few questions then asked the nurse to arrange for week 29, 32 scan. That is all.

Hi, my wife is in her week 26. Everyday we can feel the baby moving. That is one way we can assure ourselves that everything is ok.

What number to call if i have doubt? is it the hotline?

I saw the queue the other day at FCC....wow.........super long queue.
Each clinic have their direct contact. Sometimes I will call the Jurong East clinic which under NUH for advice. hehe!

Hmm.. my gynae from clinic opposite bukit gombak station did the scan every time we went for check up and tell us where is baby, the size of baby..

We still monitor movement of baby though.. when baby don move, I will “knock” and tell baby, wake up and move, after baby moved, I will say, ok.. can go back n sleep now.. haha..

From my understanding, during the first trim, those scan is not a must if the pregnancy are normal and healthy.
Gynae may suggest for several type of scanning if needed.

My wife was bleeding through the first 12 weeks so we went through doppler/ultra scanning every 2-3 weeks for the first 3mth.
Mainly to listen to heart beat and growth of length.

We perform the down syndrome test and scanning somewhere on the 14 week. On the 19-20 week, where the Gyane package comes in, we went through another round of untra scanning for bones, finger, heart vain...etc.

I believe they will advise after review your history and results of blood test, weight and sugar level..

Hmm.. my gynae from clinic opposite bukit gombak station did the scan every time we went for check up and tell us where is baby, the size of baby..

We still monitor movement of baby though.. when baby don move, I will “knock” and tell baby, wake up and move, after baby moved, I will say, ok.. can go back n sleep now.. haha..
Hi.

How do you "knock" and tell your baby to move? hahhaa......interesting...

I am not sure how each gynae/ hospital practice. I am under the Private category with KKH and get to scan on every visits to the gynae, get print outs of the scan each time. Can compare the development of the baby every month. My husband even took videos of the scan with the gynae's permission.

The most thorough scan would be on 11th- 13th week for screening for Down Syndrome; 20th week for Screening scan for Foetal Structural Development when we also know the gender of the baby.

All these scans took at least 30 minutes to complete.

hi, i'm facing the same problem and feeling so frustrated and anxious at the same time. at week 16 going 17 now and cant feel anything yet. i'm with dr vanaja. super long q each visit but consultation is short and sweet. so far she only conducted one scan for me which was to confirm pregnancy at week 7+. followed by first trim screening at FCC. :( not sure if possible to request for her to scan during the consultation but highly doubt so as she seems very busy with many patients..

hi, i'm facing the same problem and feeling so frustrated and anxious at the same time. at week 16 going 17 now and cant feel anything yet. i'm with dr vanaja. super long q each visit but consultation is short and sweet. so far she only conducted one scan for me which was to confirm pregnancy at week 7+. followed by first trim screening at FCC. :( not sure if possible to request for her to scan during the consultation but highly doubt so as she seems very busy with many patients..

Is this your first pregnancy?

Have you started feeling movements? Once the movements start, u won't feel so anxious abt e scanning.i got my flutters from 14 weeks n since abt 18 weeks my little kicker assures me 'I'm doing alright mom' regularly. Maybe u can try talking to yr baby n ask yr baby to assure u he or She is doing well.
I dunno if there's any truth abt the effects of scanning on fetus, but I gotta tell u my baby gets very anxious during every scan - either by Doppler or ultrasound. Baby will be calm n maybe sleeping before that and once e scanning starts, baby will scramble in my womb like running away from the waves. N it just breaks my heart to see that. So I'm quite happy with just e 3 major scans for developmental checks n e rest are v quick 5sec Doppler scans to heart heartbeat. Once Doppler is removed, baby calms down.

Have you started feeling movements? Once the movements start, u won't feel so anxious abt e scanning.i got my flutters from 14 weeks n since abt 18 weeks my little kicker assures me 'I'm doing alright mom' regularly. Maybe u can try talking to yr baby n ask yr baby to assure u he or She is doing well.
I dunno if there's any truth abt the effects of scanning on fetus, but I gotta tell u my baby gets very anxious during every scan - either by Doppler or ultrasound. Baby will be calm n maybe sleeping before that and once e scanning starts, baby will scramble in my womb like running away from the waves. N it just breaks my heart to see that. So I'm quite happy with just e 3 major scans for developmental checks n e rest are v quick 5sec Doppler scans to heart heartbeat. Once Doppler is removed, baby calms down.

not feeling anything yet, hence the anxiety :( is this your first pregnancy? i heard that ftm usually take slightly longer to feel bb's movements. 14 weeks is so early! wish i could start feeling bb's movements too already. i feel a bit of stretching here and there but i dont think and dont want to mistake that for bb's movements. i do talk to bb regularly but no response so far :(

perhaps it has sth to do with being a first time mother, so just want to see for myself how is bb doing, whether growing fine, any issues etc. strange though cos from what i read up on, other govt hospitals scan during every visit if i'm not wrong?

not feeling anything yet, hence the anxiety :( is this your first pregnancy? i heard that ftm usually take slightly longer to feel bb's movements. 14 weeks is so early! wish i could start feeling bb's movements too already. i feel a bit of stretching here and there but i dont think and dont want to mistake that for bb's movements. i do talk to bb regularly but no response so far :(

perhaps it has sth to do with being a first time mother, so just want to see for myself how is bb doing, whether growing fine, any issues etc. strange though cos from what i read up on, other govt hospitals scan during every visit if i'm not wrong?
Yup I'm a ftm. I'm quite petite n now 28 weeks, everything is v compact, tummy is huge but didn't gain much weight anywhere else.
So what I do initially is I put my palm on my belly n pat or rub, n my baby will respond with a punch or kick or bounce off my belly. Over e weeks when e movements become more regular, I dun do it anymore unless baby is very active then I pat to make baby move less.
Have faith n be positive that your baby will be fine. U will see him or her again in yr 20 weeks scan :)
Or u can also try requesting for dr V to scan every visit?

Yup I'm a ftm. I'm quite petite n now 28 weeks, everything is v compact, tummy is huge but didn't gain much weight anywhere else.
So what I do initially is I put my palm on my belly n pat or rub, n my baby will respond with a punch or kick or bounce off my belly. Over e weeks when e movements become more regular, I dun do it anymore unless baby is very active then I pat to make baby move less.
Have faith n be positive that your baby will be fine. U will see him or her again in yr 20 weeks scan :)
Or u can also try requesting for dr V to scan every visit?

So heartening to read your post :) can’t wait to feel my bb’s kicks. Everyday I “lookout” for it but so far, nothing significant yet. Or I might have dismissed it cos don’t want to get overexcited. Haha.

I am considering transferring to KKH private suite instead. Have read good reviews and cost is reasonable too. Plus, seems like mummies usually have overall pleasant experiences there. :) hopefully that lifts my spirits up a little. Have been feeling so down past week.

Yes, it’s my first pregnancy. Sorry if I seem a bit over the top cos so many things are new to me and I’m not sure how the process is supposed to be like..

Hi Dear, Relax.. It's the same as me during my #1 pregnancy :) Now I'm on my #2 pregnancy..
Each pregnancy different and of course when we are first time mum, we have a lot of feelings and worries. Understand much on this. But later #2 onwards, start bochiap already.. haha!

Differences from #1 and #2 for mine is,
1. #1 no MS at all, #2 heavy MS from early till 4months.
2. #1 start to feel the movement at weeks 24, #2 started at weeks 18.
3. #1 bump can see only at 6months plus, #2 bump started to appear at 3rd months.
4. #1 I'm so active, #2 super lazy
5. #1 talked to baby, he reacted.. #2 he don't bother..

And same like PlanStork said, when I did the detailed scan, baby feels annoyed cause forcing him to wake up and move to have his measurement checks. Dropler also, will always hear the heartbeat like horse racing. So I don't feel good. I will just monitor it myself follow my own instinct.

More to learn dear :) Don't get yourself stress, it's not good for baby.. Talk to us, we will share the experience and knowledge..

Hi Dear, Relax.. It's the same as me during my #1 pregnancy :) Now I'm on my #2 pregnancy..
Each pregnancy different and of course when we are first time mum, we have a lot of feelings and worries. Understand much on this. But later #2 onwards, start bochiap already.. haha!

Differences from #1 and #2 for mine is,
1. #1 no MS at all, #2 heavy MS from early till 4months.
2. #1 start to feel the movement at weeks 24, #2 started at weeks 18.
3. #1 bump can see only at 6months plus, #2 bump started to appear at 3rd months.
4. #1 I'm so active, #2 super lazy
5. #1 talked to baby, he reacted.. #2 he don't bother..

And same like PlanStork said, when I did the detailed scan, baby feels annoyed cause forcing him to wake up and move to have his measurement checks. Dropler also, will always hear the heartbeat like horse racing. So I don't feel good. I will just monitor it myself follow my own instinct.

More to learn dear :) Don't get yourself stress, it's not good for baby.. Talk to us, we will share the experience and knowledge..

thanks mummy, i feel much better now. :) anyway, i most likely will be transferring to KKH TPS - have made appt for coming tues and will see how things go. so far have read pretty positive reviews on KKH TPS. whereas not that many on NUH dr vanaja. in fact i feel dr vanaja, albeit professional, is a bit bo chup... don't know if it is just me but hubby does not really like her too. a bit too stern for our liking.

btw, my symptoms for your #2 and my current #1 is very similar :) i had very bad MS up till 3 mths, now nearing week 18 but not sure if i have felt bb movements (don't really know how it feels like also, sometimes i think i feel sth but it should be just the muscles or uterus stretching? feel stretching kind of cramps very frequently), had bb bump since 3 mths, super lazy and perpetually sleepy, and no reaction from bb even when i rub my tummy and talk. hahaha.

maybe that is why i feel anxious - cos i don't know what bb movements feels like, and while researching have also read up on a lot of horror stories of MC and stillborn etc. very worried as i nvr really took good care of my body last time, and now also don't really do much to prepare my body for delivery.

for me, yes. i am under private as well.

Huh... then i need to think again if i should go private in private hospital.. cause i am also FTM. Everything also want to know and see if possible. But Nuh is very ideal for me cause it is where i did my ivf and nearest hospital to my place. Sigh..

Huh... then i need to think again if i should go private in private hospital.. cause i am also FTM. Everything also want to know and see if possible. But Nuh is very ideal for me cause it is where i did my ivf and nearest hospital to my place. Sigh..

if you can afford, i guess you may want to consider private in private hospital instead. i chose govt hospital cos the hospitalization fees are cheaper than private hospital. my sis previously gave birth twice at gleneagles and the fees came up to be 10k and 12k each time. have to really think abt finances as we don't know what will happen last min or whether there will be any complications... if need to emergency c-sect, will definitely drive the costs up a lot higher. however, my sis did mention that with her then-gynae at gleneagles, her appt was once a mth for first two trims, scan during every visit, then towards the final trim, more frequent visits - and still scans every visit conducted by the gynae himself.

May I check if it is Private patient in NUH also dun get a scan for every visit?

Yes, we are under private and no scan for every visit. Scan only for week 20, 29 and 32.
Doctor said so long you can feel the baby move, that will be enough.
If you dont feel the baby move, you must talk, sing and do something for him/her to move. If not, quickly go to the clinic.

Yes i agree, every doctors should give a scan for every visit

think most gynaes practise that except for NUH. heard that NUH is best for those who wish to save costs as they charge separately for scan (even if it's clinic scan). so if consultation + scan will be quite ex as compared to consultation only.

i visited kkh tps for my first appt yest and dr had scanned inside clinic itself. receipt provided stated consultation costs only, so i presume the cost included scan as well.

thanks mummy, i feel much better now. :) anyway, i most likely will be transferring to KKH TPS - have made appt for coming tues and will see how things go. so far have read pretty positive reviews on KKH TPS. whereas not that many on NUH dr vanaja. in fact i feel dr vanaja, albeit professional, is a bit bo chup... don't know if it is just me but hubby does not really like her too. a bit too stern for our liking.

btw, my symptoms for your #2 and my current #1 is very similar :) i had very bad MS up till 3 mths, now nearing week 18 but not sure if i have felt bb movements (don't really know how it feels like also, sometimes i think i feel sth but it should be just the muscles or uterus stretching? feel stretching kind of cramps very frequently), had bb bump since 3 mths, super lazy and perpetually sleepy, and no reaction from bb even when i rub my tummy and talk. hahaha.

maybe that is why i feel anxious - cos i don't know what bb movements feels like, and while researching have also read up on a lot of horror stories of MC and stillborn etc. very worried as i nvr really took good care of my body last time, and now also don't really do much to prepare my body for delivery.

Don't think that way... U may talk to your Gynae and seek advice on your body and health. They know the best.. I want to take extra multi vitamin apart from obimin, cause I felt lazy, no energy etc where else I'm full time working and have toodler at home to care after my work. But Gynae advice not to take, and she said if too much medication also can cause MC, complication etc. So better take what needed and take good care of our intake.

Beginning you will feel like tickle feeling, then like kallang wave.. haha! mine is harsh one! I think he learning boxing inside.. Often gave me a shocked. Soon you will get to feel it.. And then don't worry if baby doesn't move often. But you need to monitor when is the right time baby like to move. Mine always in the afternoon, after food, or drink cold water and at night when I want to sleep, that is the time he like to move n kicked. BUT if baby doesn't move on their timing, always talk to baby and rub your tummy smoothly. Baby often sleep inside. But if ur tummy turn hard, pls call clinic for advice.

Yes i agree, every doctors should give a scan for every visit
Hehe! It's fun to see what baby doing inside right..

But I still feel, it's better not to scan on every visit. cause if we all gonna have scan on our every visit, each patient will end up more than usual visit timing. This will cause longer waiting period. :( Even now long queue for normal visiting. If have each scan, more worst waiting period.. haha!

Don't think that way... U may talk to your Gynae and seek advice on your body and health. They know the best.. I want to take extra multi vitamin apart from obimin, cause I felt lazy, no energy etc where else I'm full time working and have toodler at home to care after my work. But Gynae advice not to take, and she said if too much medication also can cause MC, complication etc. So better take what needed and take good care of our intake.

Beginning you will feel like tickle feeling, then like kallang wave.. haha! mine is harsh one! I think he learning boxing inside.. Often gave me a shocked. Soon you will get to feel it.. And then don't worry if baby doesn't move often. But you need to monitor when is the right time baby like to move. Mine always in the afternoon, after food, or drink cold water and at night when I want to sleep, that is the time he like to move n kicked. BUT if baby doesn't move on their timing, always talk to baby and rub your tummy smoothly. Baby often sleep inside. But if ur tummy turn hard, pls call clinic for advice.

thanks for the advice :)

i am in my 18th week now and think i have started to feel some movement :) i'm not too sure how to describe it, but seems like a little "vibration" kind of feeling at the lower abdomen there, where bb is at... like a little shiver inside... just a split sec kind of thing, comes and goes. at first i thought maybe my tummy unwell (due to slight constipation), but after that i realized it is probably not related... usually feel it more at night between 10 to 11pm. afternoon when at work probably only once or twice randomly. wondering if that's bb movement? o_Oo_O

anyway, when we scanned bb during check up yest, think bb was sleeping as there wasnt any movement as compared to first trim screening when bb's arms and legs were moving non-stop. was a little worried as didn't see any movement through the screen but doc reassured everything (measurements etc) was fine and also pointed out heartbeat to us. i felt a lot more relieved as the last time we saw bb seemed like too long ago at 11+ weeks.

thanks for the advice :)

i am in my 18th week now and think i have started to feel some movement :) i'm not too sure how to describe it, but seems like a little "vibration" kind of feeling at the lower abdomen there, where bb is at... like a little shiver inside... just a split sec kind of thing, comes and goes. at first i thought maybe my tummy unwell (due to slight constipation), but after that i realized it is probably not related... usually feel it more at night between 10 to 11pm. afternoon when at work probably only once or twice randomly. wondering if that's bb movement? o_Oo_O

anyway, when we scanned bb during check up yest, think bb was sleeping as there wasnt any movement as compared to first trim screening when bb's arms and legs were moving non-stop. was a little worried as didn't see any movement through the screen but doc reassured everything (measurements etc) was fine and also pointed out heartbeat to us. i felt a lot more relieved as the last time we saw bb seemed like too long ago at 11+ weeks.

Yeah, that's the one! a small feeling at first, then more and more when baby grew bigger. and then u will feel your tummy move here and there once baby have no more space inside.. hehe! Ur baby still small and need more sleep.. Wait till the hand legs are all fully transform, baby start to punch, kick etc.. As long you heard the heartbeat sounds normal, everything is fine :)

But do always monitor them :) and also be more careful ya.. Happy Mummy Happy Baby :)

Yeah, that's the one! a small feeling at first, then more and more when baby grew bigger. and then u will feel your tummy move here and there once baby have no more space inside.. hehe! Ur baby still small and need more sleep.. Wait till the hand legs are all fully transform, baby start to punch, kick etc.. As long you heard the heartbeat sounds normal, everything is fine :)

But do always monitor them :) and also be more careful ya.. Happy Mummy Happy Baby :)

thanks fellow mummy. now i look forward to those little movements everyday. very comforting and reassuring. :)

Hi,

Can someone advise?

Thank you.

Hi,
It's not fixed to a certain number but at least two, the first at 8 to 14 weeks and the second at 18 to 21 weeks.
you can always ask for a growth scan if you are worried just to make sure that everything is fine.

dafont192.168.l.lfilehippo

Last edited:
Hi,

Can someone advise?

Thank you.
Hi Frankie and everyone,
May I know how much does Dr Chew charge for ultrasound? and those checks for contraction and baby heartbeat during last few weeks before delivery?

I am planning to change hospital to NUH and saw review that dr chew is good. Wanna do budgeting now.

Your sharing of experience is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Back