Baby porridge recipe

Hi mummies

Can share how you cook delicious porridge your baby? And what ingredients are healthy? I have tried pumpkin with fish and lean pork with carrots. My boy doesn't like it. Headache when comes to meal time.

I cook salmon with potatoes, chicken with broccoli, chicken with carrot, sweet potatoes porridge and cod fish with Cai xin (chopped finely). I make sure my porridge is lumpily de cos my boy like this kind of texture. Act if you google abit, you can find some great baby porridge recipes on line. Mind if I ask how old is your lo?

Below 1 yo, i use stock as base to cook the porridge. Fish, chicken or pork bones, boiled with carrot, celery onions etc (like ABC soup) then i freeze in portions. Every meal i will use 1 portion to cook the porridge (like water to boil the porridge with) then i will add fish just 10min before the porridge is done. I only start adding veg like carrot, pumpkin, sweet potatoes etc after turning around 8-9mths so as to to transit lo to more texture food. U can also try baby pasta too.

Now she turns 1, i will add silver fish, dried scallop into her porridge, together with 2-3 veg + 1 meat. I also start her on more solid food like rice (add more water for softness), mee sua etc. This is to make her ready for outside food so that in case i am not able to cook, she doesn't hv to eat cereals :p

Just to add on the lumpy porridge part.. every baby is different. Go on their cues. My no1 is very ok with lumpy porridge but it took a long time like almost 18mo before she is more open to eat rice or other non-porridge, can go on strike if it's not porridge. My no2 is slower in terms of eating lumpy porridge but she totally ok to eat rice etc once she turns 1.

He is about 7 months... I tried lumpy style porridge... But still cannot :((
Sometimes it's not just the lumpiness but how soft the rice grains in the porridge are. Try soaking rice for a while before cooking.

I serve plain porridge and veggie, fish/meat separately to my son. Just so that I know his likes and dislikes. After that easier to mix, eg. small amount of dislike ingredient into something he likes. My son is 7 months too.

Yesterday my MIL tried to give him porridge with lean pork (without the meat, just used to cook porridge and have the taste) and carrots... he ate almost 2 bowls!
Haha finally he able to open golden mouth and eat. So happy :)

nana,

I have slow cooker at home too. It takes longer for the grain to break... needs 4 hours to cook till lumpy.. i use normal cooking pot over stove...

shinmai,

I will try your method someday... thanks for sharing!

Back