Baby insurance

Kong Ming

Hi all parents to be!

Anyone knows what insurance can buy to cover baby before birth, in case have complications after birth, prolonged hospital stay etc ?

All I've seen are those tagged to mothers insurance..Mother can't get any medical insurance coverage due to existing illness... ;(

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,I'm also looking at insurance before birth. So far I only found prud* ntial and A*A have such. Coz my earlier child has small hole in the heart. Not life threatening, no need surgery but insurance companies reject her application for life insurance, they can only recommend savings plan n such. So I'm definitely going to get something for my current expecting child.
With regards to your unique situation, u have to contact the agents coz I know they have lots of fine print.
Im not an insurance agent.
If anyone else knows other insurance companies with such plans, pls post on.

you should be looking for maternity insurance....
for me, i got mine from AXA.. coz cover the more complications than the rest, and insurance will cover from 18weeks pregnant to baby 6yrs old. and mine is twins, so 1 insurance can claim for both babies. for the rest of the benefits, more or less the same. if u need agent, u can PM me. i can intro mine to you.

That's nice. pay for 1 policy n cover 2 kids. Esp when everything is costly now. Thanks for the info. I'll look into AX* as well before deciding. When did you sign up? Before 18 weeks or after?

Maybe you can check out Max Maternity from OCBC? I think they link up with Great Eastern..
They cover for some of mom's complications ..and mainly the newborn. It covers up to 2years .
I like this as it is a 1-time payment thing.. (about $500+ for 2 years)
I am not sure i want to invest in a long-term insurance for the child yet... so yea.
I am still looking at some others.. but so far,Max Maternity seems to work out more for me now.

week 17, takes about 1 week to approve, so insurance can starts exactly on week 18.
Aso FYI, it'd requires you to buy a either 3 year or 6 year plan. One year around 1 k and it requires you to buy endowment plan for the kid. You start paying upon purchase and it will be transferred to your child once they are born. This was what was explained to me.

Aso FYI, it'd requires you to buy a either 3 year or 6 year plan. One year around 1 k and it requires you to buy endowment plan for the kid. You start paying upon purchase and it will be transferred to your child once they are born. This was what was explained to me.
I already bought it. The 1k is maternity insurance and after child is born, it will be converted to either 3 or 6yrs insurance saving plan. Paid once only. End of 3 or 6yrs, u can choose to continue or withdraw policy. But if i remember correctly although the maternity insurance covers both babies but the 3 or 6 yrs plan only can convert for 1 baby

Not sure about whether need to buy additional endowment plan tp get this insurance but i did buy coz i want to get education plan for my babies which is not link to maternity insurance. Is a separate policy. Pay monthly. I have friends who just bought maternity insurance though coz they dun see the needs of saving for kid's education

Then again not sure why ur agent explain different from my agent..

Last edited:
Hi pixie

If it is really true then I will buy it.
As I ask my sis bf who is an insurance agent and the info is passed through my sis. He is a free agent and not an agent of aia so may not be too clear.

Will get an aia agent to explain to me more. Cos the explanation from my sis makes it not worth the while to purchase the plan.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation!

Hi pixie

If it is really true then I will buy it.
As I ask my sis bf who is an insurance agent and the info is passed through my sis. He is a free agent and not an agent of aia so may not be too clear.

Will get an aia agent to explain to me more. Cos the explanation from my sis makes it not worth the while to purchase the plan.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation!
mine is AXA not AIA.
i think you should find a better agent who is familiar in the policy so that you can get accurate information
free agent normally does not know the most accurate information

It depends on your objective also. If you are looking for guaranteed protection for the child after birth, then it makes sense to buy a maternity plan that is bundled with a life insurance rather than savings, as savings plan tends to have little protection and does not cover whole life.
in most case, we are looking for the best coverage for maternity insurance first... rather than savings and protection for the child after birth
prudential is not the best policy to consider as it has the least coverage for maternity insurance

Anyone have great eastern or axa insurance to recommend, please pm me. Thanks! :)
I just bought axa pregnancy care. They have an additional plan known as Inspire and that can cover the baby once it has been deliver. You may want to explore that. For Great Eastern, I feel that the pregnancy insurance coverage is too basic. Hence, didn't take it up.

Hi enileda3, I'm a financial advisor with Great Eastern for the past 12 years. Currently expecting my first child. When are u due?
We do have a maternity plan that doesn't link to life or savings plan as some mummies feel oblige to take it up once baby is born. Feel free to let me know if u're keen for a face to face discussion
If compare GE n AIA, which one better? Which one cheap n good?

If compare GE n AIA, which one better? Which one cheap n good?
Hi MTB-2015,
It will not be very ethical of me to compare n put down AIA or any companies' plan. It's better for u to gather all the information n decide for yourself. But do bear in mind that good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good. :)

personally, i feel that its based on individual needs. See what are our concerns and which co offers what is more suitable for us.

in most case, we are looking for the best coverage for maternity insurance first... rather than savings and protection for the child after birth
prudential is not the best policy to consider as it has the least coverage for maternity insurance

Hi Pixie,

Do you mind PM me your AXA agent contact?

Thanks.

Back