S.Aw

Dear all,
this is a true account with evidence attached of my personal experience with MAH where I had my 1st delivery.

I sincerely wish no one go through the same trauma and sufferings as I did.

The hospital violated my gynae's standing order for oxytocin (syntocinon) administration :
Dr standing instruction regarding Oxytocin administration.jpg

such that I experienced uterine hyperstimulation : a series of single contractions that violate the above order.

Attached picture 1: An example of uterine hyperstimulation - more than 4 contractions in 10 min intervals from the CTG trace of my uterus contractions; Scale: 1cm/min

Attached picture 2: An example of uterine hyperstimulation - contractions lasting more than 60 seconds each and overlapping with one another (lower row); upper row shows drastic drops in my baby’s heart rate. Scale: 1cm/min

This (uterine hyperstimulation) leads to swelling of my cervix and eventual stalling of cervical dilation.
The eventual fate is emergency cesarean which is unjustified.

I also experienced signs and effects of uterine hyperstimulation:
1) Spasm felt as an intense acute pain in my right thigh during hyperstimulation;
2) Severe abdominal and pelvic pain;
3) Uterine tear;
4) Postpartum hemorrhage from the uterine incision;
5) Continuous excessive vaginal bleeding and discharge for more than 3 months after delivery.
I even had uterine extraction of necrotic tissues and fibrinopurulent debris of acute inflammation (attached picture 3).​

Moreover, no doctor or nurse was around when I experienced the pain during hyperstimulation. My husband had to call for them. The nurse who attended to my pain was clueless what to do. Instead of checking the CTG trace and immediately reducing the oxytocin dosage or stopping it, she increased my epidural dosage instead. I had to scream for the oxytocin to be stopped immediately.
Is this an "appropriate management"?

I couldn't imagine if uterine hyperstimulation had continued, what more grave outcome would have happened to me. [Google the "Adverse Reactions of Oxytocin (Syntocinon)"].

I strongly urge all to share this message to protect our mothers and babies.

Sincerely yours.

[Attachments]

Dr standing instruction regarding Oxytocin administration.jpg
- Doctor's standing order for oxytocin administration

hyperstimulation example 1.jpg
Picture 1 shows more than 4 uterine contractions in 10 min interval

hypestimulation example 2.jpg

Picture 2 shows contractions lasting more than 1 min each and overlapping with one another (lower row)

retained tissue.jpg

Picture 3​

Back