Autism in Toddler

Hi Joan,

Sorry to interupt. I don't think it is a good idea to completely deprive your boy of tv and ipad. it is okay to let him have them for a limited time per day and as a positive reward for good behavior.
Make sure that you have meaningful activities to engage him effectively outside of his tv time or most kids will turn to self stimulatory behavior to occupy their time. It looks like your boy can learn from TV/ipad which is great. you should choose carefully what you expose him to and work on generalizing new words he learnt into his daily live.

Hi Cobbie

Thanks for the advice. Actually very difficult to remove screen time completely. Was also told that can use ipad as a reinforcer to reward good behaviour. Didn't know kids will turn to stimming activities if there's no meaningful activities for him. My boy got hyper energy ... I'm pretty much drained even before we hit the end of each day. :S Can I email you?

may i know if high functioning ASD kid can go Mainstream pri school? or special needs school like pathlight is the only choice?

Hi littlesun! It is possible for ASD kids to go into mainstream schools - pending their ability to cope academically and socially. I've come across a couple when I was teaching in a mainstream secondary school. good to let the teachers know so they are more understanding of the child's quirks and will be more able to help out the child.

Hi Mommies, I have made an appointment and will be sending my son (34 mths)for development evaluation in Mar at KKH as he's showing signs of ASD/ADHD.
sad.gif

As much as I hope and pray that the diagnosis will be negative for autism, I'm not entirely optimistic about it. But I would like to find out what happens during the visit to KKH for evaluation. Are they able to diagnosis the issue from the first visit or are there subsequent tests and visits (if any, how long a period before the final diagnosis?)

If the diagnosis is indeed autism, what happens thereon? Will KKH be able to recommend and match the kid to the relevant treatments/therapy needed? I'm sorry for the list of questions as I'm really concern and have been reading so much from the web these days. But the more I read, the more confused and anxious I am. Also alot of the online materials seems to be more relevant to the society in US than locally.

Hi Spaghetti,

RDI is more child-led and personally I feel, it is good for children of a higher functioning level or verbal.

ABA is good if your child is still non-verbal or still lacks basic skills like imitation, matching etc. It is led by the therapist and the child has to comply. so it is good for kids with compliance issues and unable to sit down.

however, verbal behavior - ABA is child centered, different from lovvas approach of ABA.

You can google on the net to learn more about the different types of intervention and decide what's best and most suited for your child.

Hi Penguin,

From my own experience, the first visit will be only a clinical diagnosis. Based on that, they will refer your child for OT, ST at the hospital and match your child to a suitable EIPIC center. But the OT and ST is very infrequent, maybe twice a month. So it doesn't help much. Remember early intervention is very important and improves the child's outcome. so if you can afford it, go private. there are many intervention options like OT, ST, aba, RDI, etc out there. Read up and decide what's best for your child. The queue for EIPIC like AAS and Wecan is quite long, if your child is high functioning, you may need to wait around 3 months only. It is only 6 hours a week and some needs parents company. with the means testing, they are also not cheap. without subsidy, AAS is around 500+ per month and wecan is 900+ per month. there are also good private special schools out there.
Hope it helps : )
Don't worry too much. We just have to do our best for them : ) they do improves with age.

Hi All Mummies~!after i read this thread, i found that we all in the same boat...worry,sad,seek for support and help...etc..
but im lost!I don know wat shall i plan for him and all early intervention were in Q!
My son now 3 yo...he got all d symptom like all mentioned, but he additional one more..like to push ppl and scracth his classmate face without any reason!(has been told by the principal)
Now im worry as child care only gv me 1 mth period to monitor my son behavior...if he still act this...they will just say SORRY to me but hv to move out frm their cc...
im so sad when i heard abt this and i really need some help...i would like to join those like parent support group but i don know how to~??
If any of you can share info with me...im waiting for u all email!!
thx for help~!!

HI Msxyz, i called to k4k talked to Jessica...seems ok...will hv appointment next week for the accessment...will c how by then....

I'm not sure whether my girl has mild autism.

Few traits :
- She doesn't like to hug or being hug
- she will cry whenever her younger sister took her toys away.
- she is afraid of stranger
- she doesn't like to have eye contact or request us not to look at her
- she doesn't greet ppl (even to grandparents) despite numerous requests fr us
- she will turn away or look down whenever she sees her friends or teacher (except in school)

Other than the above, she is perfectly fine.
I'm not sure is she having mild autism?

Anyone can help me?

Hi Parents, I'll just like to inject some 'positive notes' here and to let 'new' parents on that it's not all gloom and darkness (which I had been thru in the beginning). A few months on with ST and OT, my boy is now the most chatty yakky 'talkative' and happy boy. Not that everyone understands him, but he is able converse in phrases up to 3-4 words and will play with his classmates. He used to play alone, does not like to hold hands with his classmates and does not use words at all to communicate. We celebrate his every single improvements, however small it may be, even if it is just a 'uh' to mean 'open door'. Whilst his pronounciation is far from perfect (his scooter is uh-uh and he can't get a lot of words out even tho he knows them), we see his every attempt a huge effort and rained him with lots of praise and encouragement. There are challenges that still remain but I am hopeful over time, it will just get better. Don't forget parents are the best teachers. Special schools and therapies are very very helpful too but it can never take precedence to the help from parents and family at home.

Dear Mummies,

Hope to seek some advice here.. My son is 3 now and was diagnosed with ASD. We have just submitted the registration for his enrollment into the EIPIC school. Was told that the waiting time is at least 6 months! During this period, I was advised by the doctor that we should let him go for OT & ST, may I know how does the OT actually helps my son for his condition?

We have actually brought my son for 2 OT lesson and we find it really hard to get him participate. Does anyone knows a good OT to recommend in Thomson Paediatric Centre at Square 2? Also, as I am a working mum, I hope to find a childcare centre who can handles ASD children in thw west. Any recommendations? Anyone heard of Ichiban Childcre at CCK?

Hi Aivilo, I am happy to share my experience and information with you. You can PM me and we can chat over the phone, alot easier to discuss.

AiviLo, OT actually works on a number of aspects but one of the first things my OT worked on is to focus on my boy's play skills. Gradually, moving on to posture and attention span. They also look into gross and fine motor skills.

In my last OT session, my boy was unwilling to follow thru tasks and therapist said he's getting more rigid. :S Have to keep on insisting he follow thru with the tasks we set him out on.

Feel free to PM for further sharing.

Hi Aivilo, Ichiban Kindergarten supports special needs children but you need to let them know so they can place him appropriately. They have centres catering to both regular children and children with special needs. EIPIC wait time indeed can take up to 6 months, so yes, OT & SLT can be started whilst waiting.
You can find further information at www.specialkidsclinic.com.sg and also on the FB page through a link on the Home page.
Early Intervention is critical; of importance though, the parents remain the most important therapists for the child
happy.gif

Hi,

I have some spare Darifree potato milk powder ( expiry in Oct 2013 ) and Better Than Milk soy milk powder ( expiry in Jul 2013 ) to let go at $15 per can. I bought direct from US at $25 per can including shipping few months back but my son has just weaned off milk.
For those interested, please PM me directly.
Thanks !

Hi all

I have a kid on the spectrum and has helped my relative to purchase books. But upon purchase, he cancelled on me. Now I have brand new books on hand which I purchased from amazon. Letting go at cost (ie amazon price + shipping). If you are interested, they are as follows (indicated Kinokuniya pricing for reference only):-

1) It takes Two to Talk by Jan Pepper and El;aine Weitzman (S$80) Kino: S$166.73

2) The Social Skills Picture Book (Teaching Play, Emotion, and Communication to Children with Autism) by Jed Baker, PHD (S$40)
Kino:S$66.55

3) Early Intervention Games by Barbara Sher (S$20) Kino: S$27.28

4) The Out-of-Sync Child has fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz, MA (S$20) Kino S$26.69

5) Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues by Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske(S$20) Kino: S$27.89

If you are interested to browse and I'm not letting go these ones as I still need them, my 'library' also include: "More than Words" and "Talkability" (both by Fern Sussman).

Tks. Feel free to pm or for faster response sms me (98006782).

Autism is not just due to mental,,,their health plays a part too. Pls pm me as there is this -ve ion with far infra red rays mattress will help the child for both health and better focus.

i have a primary 5 son who is doing a research study on the topic "what are the concerns of parents with special need children in singapore havr regarding the transition from preschool to primary school". He hopes to be a voice to MOE to incorporate programs in mainstream schools for special need students. He hopes that through this research prepare themselves and allievate any concerns parents might have if any special need child ever joins the school. Schools would also have a better understanding on how to take care of these students well. Here is the link for you to fill up thr survey:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ynZBgh3qWCgDmJB1n5CB3IjvfGwXB1xVB9DpBvPf_4s/viewform

Hope that you would set aside time to answer the survey. Thanks a lot for your time.

Dear mummies
My son is 3yrs 6months old diagnosed with mild high functioning autism .he s been n epic program for 6months .actual problm is i am not sure whether he s geting help .my son maintains eye contact,greets ppl,can talk n 3 to 4 words sentence .he is toilet trained at home but he s very hyperactive when he sees kids laughs loud,shakes head a lot ,cannot sit down much n bus and trains .these days he s biting cloth,spitting out .does anyone faced same issues and kindly suggest how to help him stop

I think most problem for autism kids is commucation problem.. but my son got no such problem..he will asked where is the gong gong go? y daddy not back yet? and once he saw us back from work, he will call "baba mama" loudly... but not understand y teacher suspect him? or am i lack of autism knowledge?

I think most problem for autism kids is commucation problem.. but my son got no such problem..he will asked where is the gong gong go? y daddy not back yet? and once he saw us back from work, he will call "baba mama" loudly... but not understand y teacher suspect him? or am i lack of autism knowledge?

Autism is a spectrum disorder, which is characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication. This means that a child can be autistic even if he exhibits good verbal skills if there are other traits present.

According to the diagnostic criteria, a child will need to have:

A) Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts
B) Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities
More information can be found on https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria

Does your child have good eye contact? Does he show any repetitive or stereotypic behaviour? Or does he have an unusual adherence to routines which can culminate in a meltdown should something be changed?

Hopefully it is a case of mis-identification as not all childcare providers are trained in picking out autism. But do seek help if you see any of the above behaviours. Early treatment is critical when it comes to autism. Good luck!

Jia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speech and Talk | Helping your child communicate
speechandtalk.com

Last edited:
Dear mummies
My son is 3yrs 6months old diagnosed with mild high functioning autism .he s been n epic program for 6months .actual problm is i am not sure whether he s geting help .my son maintains eye contact,greets ppl,can talk n 3 to 4 words sentence .he is toilet trained at home but he s very hyperactive when he sees kids laughs loud,shakes head a lot ,cannot sit down much n bus and trains .these days he s biting cloth,spitting out .does anyone faced same issues and kindly suggest how to help him stop

Hi Swathi,

At age 3, children should be putting together 3-4 words so he doesn't sound too far off. The only thing I wonder is the social side of language. What does he use his language for? Does he use it for other purpose besides requesting? Does he use language to socialize? (i.e. make comments, greets, asking questions etc)

Also, what kind of words are there in his vocabulary? Ideally, children should have a good range of different word classes like actions, locations, descriptives, pronouns etc

In terms of what you have described, it sounds like your child needs some help with social skills. Some strategies which have been found to be helpful for social skills are:
1) Social stories - this is a picture book that is created for the child to explain how one should behave in certain situations
2) Video modelling - if your child is into watching videos, you can create a video of you performing the desired behaviour in the situation.

Regarding biting and chewing, there could be a few reasons: 1) he is using it as a calming strategy; 2) limited oral awareness; 3) difficulty with oral awareness 4); habit. All these 4 reasons require different approaches. If it persists, it is recommended that you seek help from a trained speech therapist.

Jia

speechandtalk.com

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether my girl has mild autism.

Few traits :
- She doesn't like to hug or being hug
- she will cry whenever her younger sister took her toys away.
- she is afraid of stranger
- she doesn't like to have eye contact or request us not to look at her
- she doesn't greet ppl (even to grandparents) despite numerous requests fr us
- she will turn away or look down whenever she sees her friends or teacher (except in school)

Other than the above, she is perfectly fine.
I'm not sure is she having mild autism?

Anyone can help me?

Hi selenacc,

In order for a diagnosis of autism, your girl will also need to exhibit the following:
-stereotypic and repetitive behaviours
-insistence on sameness
-highly restricted interests
-Hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interests in sensory aspects of the environment

Based on what you have described, it doesn't sound like she has autism (unless you have left these points out?).

I am also curious, does she make requests? And does she use language socially (i.e. responding to others, asking questions, playing)? Does she use gestures or try to make herself understood if you don't understand?

The reason I'm asking is because there's a different disorder related to social communication difficulties called Social Communication Disorder.
https://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2015/04/03/what-social-communication-disorder-how-it-treated

However, her resistance to hugging may suggest a tactile defensiveness and you might want to seek the help of an OT. Her refusal to make eye contact is also unusual, and I think you might want to seek the help of a psychologist who specializes in children's behaviour to rule out social anxiety as an issue.
All the best!

Jia

speechandtalk.com

Last edited:

I think it's different for different kids. My kid has slight communication problem.. 2 or 3 words are fine but full sentences, he cannot do it yet. My friend's son was also diagnosed with ASD but he speaks perfectly and even has an ang moh accent which he picked up from watching youtube.

AP has an upcoming conference on preparing your child with ASD for school. According to the email:

Topics include:
  • Importance of Addressing Disruptive Behaviors Early
  • Critical Skills To Be An Independent Learner
  • Equipping Your Child with Essential Language and Communication Skills
  • The Necessity of Developing Social Interest and Social Skills

Details are as follows:
Date:
November 9, 2019 (Saturday)
Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Venue: York Hotel Singapore, Carlton Room (Level 2), 21 Mount Elizabeth, Singapore 228516
Fee: Regular: SGD 200/person
Group of 5 or more: SGD 150/person
Parents with Children with Autism: SGD 150/person
(all fee inclusive of lunch and refreshments)

Sign up link: https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/parenti...tism-for-school-using-aba-tickets-73399232079

Anybody interested?

Back