Are diaper bags really useful?

Dear mummies, I'm currently considering getting a diaper bag, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending money on one, and would appreciate any advice
happy.gif
For those of you who own a diaper bag, do you personally find it much more useful than a normal bag with all the compartments?

If so, which style of bag is the most practical - messenger (sling) bag, tote bag or backpack? I'm used to using backpacks since they distribute weight better, but I was told by a friend that it would be easier to look for stuff in a messenger bag, though I feel that messenger bags tend to slip off the shoulder easily.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
happy.gif

Hi! I'm mummy to 2 boys, 2yrs 10mths & 16mths.

I used to own a $100+ diaper bag after I had my no. 1 and was happy with the purchase, in terms of both functionality & aesthetically :p I was able to find the stuffs that I needed at the right places. After awhile, I find the space insufficient, not to mention the weight. Eversince, been using my hubby's messenger bag or a small backpack when I was alone with baby. However, found that sling bag is still easier as compared to backpack, esp when you need to dig for diaper and change the baby at the same time. To keep the strap on your shoulder, you juz have to cross-sling it on your shoulder. Now I hv 2 sling bags (big & small) used as diaper bags.

Messenger bags do have all the compartments for organising your stuffs too. I keep the wipes and travel size tissues in one of the compartments and separate the diapers in a mesh bag (or they called it wet bag, can get similar ones from Daiso cheaply). Other personal stuffs in the other small pockets of the bag. I do keep extra clothes in ziplock bags too, which doubles up in waterproofing
happy.gif
Oh, changing mat which usually comes with a diaper bag is useful, esp when baby poops. Can buy one from the stores. Your delivery hospital might give away free diaper bag too.

HTHs!
happy.gif

Hi, i have been using a messenger bag for more than a year already, and i find it really useful. It has two side pockets fro my thermos flask and milk canisters. With a back pocket for his extra clean clothes, and many little pockets inside for his towels, socks..And it is big enough for me to put in diapers, milk bottles and his porridge pot too. In the event this bag is spoilt, i will still get back the exact same one.

Hi Bin and Zolldoll, thanks for sharing your experience!
happy.gif
Seems that a diaper bag will really come in handy... Can you share what brand of diaper bag you got?

Hi mama_lemon,

Think both me and zolldoll use messenger bags that are non-diaper bags (zolldoll, correct me if i'm wrong :p). Mine is a Timbuk2. Shop around for that ideal one that suits your need, preferably after you have your baby in tow. By then you'll know what are the stuffs you need to bring with you and the baby
happy.gif

Hi

I do not use a diaper bag, just a normal tote bag, and I bought a diaper changing mat. That is good enough for me. Most diaper bags come with changing mats as well, but they do not have compartments, just a flat mat. My changing mat can accomodate 4diapers + wet wipes and that's really all I need when we go out. Spare clothes are in my bag.

Contemplated getting a diaper bag for very long, but in the end a normal bag works very well for me. Personally do not think its worthwhile spending so much for diaper bag.

Prefer tote style as it looks better than sling/backpack. Anyway tnot much difference in the style cos my stroller has a huge storage basket so i just put the bag in there.

Dear mothers or mothers-to-be, if you are looking for an experienced nanny, feel free to contact my mom by sending me a personal message.

My mom has a lot of experience taking care of children as well as newborn. willing to take care for day and night.

I'm using the Allerhand diaper bag, not the messenger model. Mine is much bigger, the exterior has 3 horizontal stripes (not vertical ala messenger model). I find it extremely useful as it eally has ample space, has many many pockets and compartments. Will try to find a link that described the bag in full

p/s used to think that a big bag will do. But now that I have experienced the convenience of this gorgeous and useful Allerhand bag, I have changed my mind completely. Esp since we go out with baby alot. Am considering getting the messenger bag for when I go out on my own with baby though. This is really big.

I do not use a diaper bag as the nice ones were very expensive. However, I got a large tote bag and got a bag organiser with lots of compartments from http://giftforsomeone.com, which was cheap and good.

Best thing is, you just carry the bag organiser to whatever bag that you are changing to suit your style for the day!

I used to use a Allerhand messenger bag. Recently with 2 kids and a bit more experience, I have changed to a microfibre tote bag with an Alexa bag organiser (bought through BP in singaporemotherhood) inside.

The Allerhand comes with a nice padded changing mat but I don't like the manly looks and the flap top. I think it is easier to use a big tote bag that is unzipped from the top. For daddies, the Allerhand messenger bag would be ideal as it looks like a laptop bag.

I don't use for No.1 n won't be getting one for No.2 too. Basically, I just find a good hobo or tote bag that's spacious enough n with pockets to put diaper creams etc. More designs to choose from n can be more affordable too (if u're not going for branded stuff). ALso translate to more budget to change ard haha.

HI all
happy.gif

for me i just use backpack cos easier to carry bb when alone with her......if i hv the sling bag then cant carry her looooo plus a stroller somemore.....

back pack is the best, for short and long trips.
I bought the travel backpack that's lightweight and have good padding for the back.

I had an Allenhand Diaper bag...used only for few months and I find the space insufficient...In the end, I use my own Big sling Bag with Allenhand diaper changing mat... heehee

I think Skip Hop diaper bag is very good too. It comes with magnetic enclosure and a lot of pockets and can be strapped onto the stroller as well. I got one and thought that's a very good investment.

If you are delivering in Glen E..most likely u will get a free diaper bag from parkway health.. i got one. Thank god. I almost bought a $100+ one. Whew.

Hihi, I didn't buy any diaper bag as the nicer ones are really expensive. I bought a nappy bag organiser instead from this online shop www.wix.com/feliciti/eshop. It only costs me $14 and i find it pretty useful as i can turn any of my existing bags into a diaper bag with it. My circle of mummy friends are all using it after i recommend the nappy bag organiser to them!
happy.gif

Hi,

I think any bag that is light yet roomy enuf for all baby's things will do. If u need pockets for bottles etc, can get a diaper bag organiser.

If u wanna be hands free to carry ur baby, then a backpack is best. But if u want the convenience of reaching into the bag easily, messenger or tote may be better.

yes i 2nd that. there's way too much hype on diaper bags that keep maybe only 1 bottle, 1 diaper, 10's wipes... anything else is not fashionable.

I don't know if this thread is still alive but i am going to post here just in case..

I swear by my ju-ju-be diaper bags. i got one and love it then bought 2 more..

its really the functionality and compartment that won me over..

www.ju-ju-be.com

Kate Spade Diaper bag is functional and yet modern. A bit pricy but can be used as your weekend or overnight bag when your kid outgrown it.

I simply use my usual messenger/tote bags 'cos diaper bags can be very heavy. If pushing pram around and taking the MRT, I put a plastic tray in the basket to hold the milk/water/bottles. As for diapers, we put each piece in a plastic bag - no need to fuss, just take one 'pack' out, use and throw away the bag + soiled diaper.

Any brand to recommend for diaper bag as I am looking for one as well

https://www.amazon.com/okiedog-2711...&qid=1475461916&sr=8-21&keywords=okiedog&th=1

If I am not mistaken, the diaper bag that I have have gotten is discon..... Basically I like this cos it's ez 4 me 2 reach in and take stuff out. I use d above bag for 2 over yrs. Even when I travel.... it's really a gd diaper bag 2 have. Off side is dat it can get quite heavy if u r not used 2 d weight.

Dear mummies, I'm currently considering getting a diaper bag, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending money on one, and would appreciate any advice
happy.gif
For those of you who own a diaper bag, do you personally find it much more useful than a normal bag with all the compartments?

If so, which style of bag is the most practical - messenger (sling) bag, tote bag or backpack? I'm used to using backpacks since they distribute weight better, but I was told by a friend that it would be easier to look for stuff in a messenger bag, though I feel that messenger bags tend to slip off the shoulder easily.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
happy.gif
I used Backpack diaper bag. Really Its help me very much. I think you can see and take your decision.

Back