Anyone pregnant and having high blood pressure?

Peanut_nonnie

Hello ladies, wondering if anyone here is pregnant and having high blood pressure? What medications are you on?

I had hypertension and induced labour at 38 weeks with my 1st child. Wasn't on medications back then. Eventually I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension a few months ago, before discovering i was pregnant.

I was fine on Adalat XL (which GP prescribed) and also nifedipine (prescribed by earlier gynae once i got pregnant). I then switched to KKH and they gave me methlydopa instead. Apparently it's the safest for pregnancy. But I feel so horrible taking methlydopa! I'm giddy and nauseous after taking the pills. Seriously considering switching back to nifedipine because I can barely work.

Anyone else went thru pregnancy successfully while on nefidipine and gave birth w/o any complications?

Last edited:
Hello I’m pregnant at 32 weeks now and recent gynae visit discovered that I have high blood pressure. 160/101. She ask me to pee on a paper stick that supposedly is to test for protein in the urine. And she say the colour looks fine means I don’t have protein in urine. I think she is testing for preeclampsia which is high blood pressure with protein in urine.
I was later given carcigard retard 20mg. Have it for the past few days. The medicine seem to only work for a short few hours after I have it and blood pressure is fluctuating around 140 to 170.
Today I went to see my thyroid doctor for my hypothyroid. My hyperthyroid is still considered under control. But he was worried that I may be having preeclampsia and my blood pressure was still measuring about 155. Ordered to do urine test to test for protein and full blood count for platelets. He also changed my hypertension medicine to nifedipine 30 mg. Just started taking it. So far feeling ok taking it. Blood pressure still around the same though.

Now I’m worried I might be really having preeclampsia and need to go for csection early.

Hello ladies, wondering if anyone here is pregnant and having high blood pressure? What medications are you on?

I had hypertension and induced labour at 38 weeks with my 1st child. Wasn't on medications back then. Eventually I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension a few months ago, before discovering i was pregnant.

I was fine on Adalat XL (which GP prescribed) and also nifedipine (prescribed by earlier gynae once i got pregnant). I then switched to KKH and they gave me methlydopa instead. Apparently it's the safest for pregnancy. But I feel so horrible taking methlydopa! I'm giddy and nauseous after taking the pills. Seriously considering switching back to nifedipine because I can barely work.

Anyone else went thru pregnancy successfully while on nefidipine and gave birth w/o any complications?

My colleague got HBP during her preg too, checking with her what med she took last time..

If you got HBP during your first pregnancy and everything was fine, not to worry too much ba and I’m sure doc know what is best for u ;)

After your current pregnancy, try to watch out of your HBP and do sth on it o, but if can, try to not to take med as med brings side effect..

Hello I’m pregnant at 32 weeks now and recent gynae visit discovered that I have high blood pressure. 160/101. She ask me to pee on a paper stick that supposedly is to test for protein in the urine. And she say the colour looks fine means I don’t have protein in urine. I think she is testing for preeclampsia which is high blood pressure with protein in urine.
I was later given carcigard retard 20mg. Have it for the past few days. The medicine seem to only work for a short few hours after I have it and blood pressure is fluctuating around 140 to 170.
Today I went to see my thyroid doctor for my hypothyroid. My hyperthyroid is still considered under control. But he was worried that I may be having preeclampsia and my blood pressure was still measuring about 155. Ordered to do urine test to test for protein and full blood count for platelets. He also changed my hypertension medicine to nifedipine 30 mg. Just started taking it. So far feeling ok taking it. Blood pressure still around the same though.

Now I’m worried I might be really having preeclampsia and need to go for csection early.
Hi hi. Just to give a update. Mine is severe preeclampsia. The illness is characterized with high blood pressure >170 , protein found in urine, and bad swelling water retention. Might even get pain on upper abdominal area, blurry eyes and go into fits in worst case.

Was hospitalized for the past few days to be diagnose with severe preeclampsia. Finally bp under control now. But doctor say she wants to deliver my baby latest by next Monday to reduce health risk on me and my baby.

I know mine is different from your case. Just to share my story here that high blood pressure might be a indicator of preeclampsia.

Btw I’m on nifedipine, methyldopa and labetalol.Need high dosage from all this to keep my bp under control now. Doesn’t make me feel giddy I think.

Last edited:

Back