Anyone has anxiety disorder and coping with it?

Why does anxiety happen? This is a common question asked by anxiety sufferers everywhere. If you’re seeking an answer to the question, “Why does anxiety happen?” you’re certainly not alone. There are several underlying causes of anxiety, but normally those who suffer from severe anxiety do so for a combination of reasons and causes. Here are some of the answers to the question, “Why does anxiety happen?”
Why does anxiety happen: Environmental factors

Normal anxiety in healthy individuals is caused by environmental factors. It’s normal for everyone to feel anxious once in a while, and anxiety normally centers on specific events or problems. Common causes of anxiety include stress from work, school or financial problems; stress within a personal relationship; emotional trauma from a death or divorce; medical problems; drug use and certain prescription medications; worrying about what others think; and being concerned about everyday matters – such as your to-do list.

Anxiety from environmental factors in normal people will go away when they deal with the underlying problem. Sometimes, people will even find out that their anxiety is unfounded, which can help them overcome the anxious feelings. However, if you’re experiencing constant, unfounded anxiety, it could be a medical problem that you need to work with your doctor to overcome.
Why does anxiety happen: Brain chemistry

Another common cause of anxiety, particularly anxiety disorders that cause unfounded, extreme, or conscious anxiety is brain chemistry. Anxiety is similar to depression in that those who suffer from it often have a lack or imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain that help the person feel calm, happy, or secure.

Sometimes, this brain chemistry issue is linked to underlying dietary insufficiencies, and many times, those with mild anxiety problems can get great relief just by eating a healthier, more balanced diet. This type of diet provides the body with the building blocks it needs to create the neurotransmitters that are needed to keep brain chemistry in balance, so that the individual feels calmer and more collected in general.

Other times, brain chemistry imbalances have no cause that we can see. In these cases, medications are often necessary to correct imbalances. Individuals who have these types of imbalances may be able to use medication in the short-term to re-balance brain chemistry until it takes over on its own. However, some individuals find that they need to continue using such medications for the long term in order to keep anxiety symptoms in check.
Why does anxiety happen: Genetics

There is increasing evidence that genetics plays a role in anxiety and how we react to potentially anxious situations. If your family members suffer from depression or anxiety disorders, there’s a greater chance that you will, as well. This isn’t fatalism, though. Many people who have close family members who suffer from anxiety disorders have no anxiety problems themselves.

However, if you do have close family members that suffer from anxiety disorders – particularly if the problems seem to run on one or both sides of your family fairly strongly – you should know the symptoms of anxiety disorders and let your physician know that you have a genetic link to these disorders. That way, you can catch potential problems sooner, keep your brain chemistry better balanced through a healthy diet and exercise, and make lifestyle changes that might otherwise keep you from developing an anxiety disorder.

These are the main reasons scientists have found to answer the question, “Why does anxiety happen?” Remember, not all anxiety is bad or abnormal! But if you experience crippling worry, physical anxiety symptoms, or constant low-level anxiety, it’s a good idea to seek professional help as soon as possible.

Hey there, that’s a great question. It is very important to understand what it is and how to treat it. For further explanation I found a video that explains a few simple ways on how to treat it so just message me and I shall be glad to send the link to you.

Hi dear

My worst is heart palpitations, fainting spells, tightness in my chest, loss of appetite. The first hit was in year 2009 in taiwan. Then I went hospital there and took their medicine and was ok. The second hit was the worst when i was working. This time, even i took the western medicine, i had bad side effects such as loss appetite, loss of myself, hide in the house. I decided to see TCM that point and was given acupuncture. Eventually, I get better. But still, the symptoms could come probably once to twice a week, thou mild.
So i decided to google it and relised that some supplement can helps such as Vit B complex, Omega-3.

may i know which acupuncture did u went ?

Hi dear

My worst is heart palpitations, fainting spells, tightness in my chest, loss of appetite. The first hit was in year 2009 in taiwan. Then I went hospital there and took their medicine and was ok. The second hit was the worst when i was working. This time, even i took the western medicine, i had bad side effects such as loss appetite, loss of myself, hide in the house. I decided to see TCM that point and was given acupuncture. Eventually, I get better. But still, the symptoms could come probably once to twice a week, thou mild.
So i decided to google it and relised that some supplement can helps such as Vit B complex, Omega-3.

please share your tcm for acupuncture . thank you

Why does anxiety happen? This is a common question asked by anxiety sufferers everywhere. If you’re seeking an answer to the question, “Why does anxiety happen?” you’re certainly not alone. There are several underlying causes of anxiety, but normally those who suffer from severe anxiety do so for a combination of reasons and causes. Here are some of the answers to the question, “Why does anxiety happen?”
Why does anxiety happen: Environmental factors

Normal anxiety in healthy individuals is caused by environmental factors. It’s normal for everyone to feel anxious once in a while, and anxiety normally centers on specific events or problems. Common causes of anxiety include stress from work, school or financial problems; stress within a personal relationship; emotional trauma from a death or divorce; medical problems; drug use and certain prescription medications; worrying about what others think; and being concerned about everyday matters – such as your to-do list.

Anxiety from environmental factors in normal people will go away when they deal with the underlying problem. Sometimes, people will even find out that their anxiety is unfounded, which can help them overcome the anxious feelings. However, if you’re experiencing constant, unfounded anxiety, it could be a medical problem that you need to work with your doctor to overcome.
Why does anxiety happen: Brain chemistry

Another common cause of anxiety, particularly anxiety disorders that cause unfounded, extreme, or conscious anxiety is brain chemistry. Anxiety is similar to depression in that those who suffer from it often have a lack or imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain that help the person feel calm, happy, or secure.

Sometimes, this brain chemistry issue is linked to underlying dietary insufficiencies, and many times, those with mild anxiety problems can get great relief just by eating a healthier, more balanced diet. This type of diet provides the body with the building blocks it needs to create the neurotransmitters that are needed to keep brain chemistry in balance, so that the individual feels calmer and more collected in general.

Other times, brain chemistry imbalances have no cause that we can see. In these cases, medications are often necessary to correct imbalances. Individuals who have these types of imbalances may be able to use medication in the short-term to re-balance brain chemistry until it takes over on its own. However, some individuals find that they need to continue using such medications for the long term in order to keep anxiety symptoms in check.
Why does anxiety happen: Genetics

There is increasing evidence that genetics plays a role in anxiety and how we react to potentially anxious situations. If your family members suffer from depression or anxiety disorders, there’s a greater chance that you will, as well. This isn’t fatalism, though. Many people who have close family members who suffer from anxiety disorders have no anxiety problems themselves.

However, if you do have close family members that suffer from anxiety disorders – particularly if the problems seem to run on one or both sides of your family fairly strongly – you should know the symptoms of anxiety disorders and let your physician know that you have a genetic link to these disorders. That way, you can catch potential problems sooner, keep your brain chemistry better balanced through a healthy diet and exercise, and make lifestyle changes that might otherwise keep you from developing an anxiety disorder.

These are the main reasons scientists have found to answer the question, “Why does anxiety happen?” Remember, not all anxiety is bad or abnormal! But if you experience crippling worry, physical anxiety symptoms, or constant low-level anxiety, it’s a good idea to seek professional help as soon as possible.

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes when I feel anxiety or really stressed, I would go for a walk, have a nice beverage at a cafe or do exercise.

Wellness therapy is also good.

I'm experiencing fast heart beating and unable to sleep well for yhe padt months. I think is due to work stress.
I'm currently using essential oils as i feel that its emtional I need to deal with

I'm experiencing fast heart beating and unable to sleep well for yhe padt months. I think is due to work stress.
I'm currently using essential oils as i feel that its emtional I need to deal with

Yes I agree, esp if work stress is in the customer service line or you have crazy reporting officers. Essential oils, body massages and scented candles work beautifully. Take care!

Exercise helps. I go Zumba n overtime i found that my anxiety disappear . When panic attack, I took deep breath n do counting from 1 to 10. It helps on the spot when attack happened.

Hi everyone, I am coming to terms & realise that I have anxiety disorder especially in midst of divorce. I really hope I can learn a few things from this forum.

It helps to know what triggers the anxiety or panic attack so you can better avoid them or manage your symptoms. I find that exercising and meditating also help

I wonder if I am having anxiety or panic attacks.

Life has been roller-coaster for me as a working mum. With Covid, primary school going kids, husband, in laws, I think I did not do too badly in this life tests. With every society/life tests, we grow stronger.

But recently, I am having vertigo, blocked ears, nose, and with slight running nose. Got tested for Covid but result was negative. (Thankfully!)

Now my head spinning ordeal is not ending and I am wondering what's god's plan for me. To carry on my life tests or to give me a break. I am so tired, with so many things going on. I wish there is someone to share my burden or to be there for me to cry and speak to sometimes but I realised I am all alone. I came to this earth alone, I go away from this earth alone. Only I alone can solve my own problems.

Glad to know I’m not alone, take care everyone, I’m still learning from the tips provided

Last edited:
I have Vestibular disorder/migraine. The non stop dizziness has been effecting my mobility to walk everyday. It’s been 2 years. Anxiety is the cause. I waiting for my first appointment with psychologist. It’s so depressing. I can’t exercise and go to gym anymore. I don’t have any supportive friends and families. They think I’m faking my sickness.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I am a new member here & I chance this forum when I was googling for those who are suffering from Anxiety and Panic Attack/Disorder locally.

I am a sufferer. I first had my episode sometime July last year. I was awaken by a cold sweat, heart racing super fast that I could not find/feel my pulse, dry mouth, uncontrolled body tremor, stomach ache & giddy. These symptoms are like a chain reaction one after another. I called the ambulance & they took me to KTPH A&E. They did a full blood test from full blood count to thyroid to renal to heart attack enzyme to liver functions, etc and found to be normal. They also did the ECG and found to be normal too. I was discharged home.

In November I had another episode. Same symptoms & called the ambulance again. The medics asked me to do a few things to lower down my heart rate but it’s still beating very fast. Alast they brought me to A&E & did the ECG. Again it turned out normal. They didn’t do anymore blood tests because they’ve done them back in July. Then they sent a psychiatrist to see me at the observation ward. That’s when they started to refer me to see a Psychiatrist and since then i’ve been having my psychiatry & psychotherapy sessions. It takes time for them to find the root cause of my anxiety/panic attacks. I just have to be patient, accept and manage it.

I know it’s very scary when the attack hits because my fear is the palpitations that driving me crazy but through the sessions thus far, I have learned how to acknowledge when the attack kickstart, let the symptoms run & do the deep breathing. If the deep breathing does not help, i’ll call the IMH hotline & speak to a psychologist on duty that night. They really help me to calm down by talking to me and discuss the symptoms. My attacks have significantly shortened this far & I hope to better manage my anxiety/panic attacks better.

I had plenty more episodes & I had it last night at 3am. I did the same thing & resorted to call the IMH hotline to help me calm. Anyway, I have asked for a referral to National Heart Centre just to rule out that my heart is ok and that I can manage my anxiety/panic attacks better.
[/QUOTE]
Hi

I am glad it helps. I guess we are always constantly checking on our symptoms and hence, the anxious feeling never subside. Hence, It is better to take a smile and accept it. When the anxiety comes, tell yourself " Ok, i know you are here, but I need to do my stuff..." eventually, it will pass. The more you think, the more anxious u feel. I also realised that what triggers my anxiety is the constant worry of health issues and family issues. So learn to relax is important.
You can try panic away (googled it). The program is quite useful.
I am a new member and happen to route to this forum when goggle online on how to cope with this disorder. Saw your post and thank for the tips.

May I know how to delete post as I have accidentally re-post other people post? I’m sorry for that as I am not familiar with this application. Thanks.

HI everyone,
I am glad to chance upon this thread and this forum here. I was told by the GP I have general anxiety disorder and I was a little taken aback although my symptoms appear to be anxiety related. My symptoms could have started a couple of years back when I suddenly had heart palpitations and feel faintish and had to call the ambulance. Hospital did ecg & blood test but didn't detect anything. I had another episode during a holiday as well. Past few weeks have been quite bad but this time my symptoms were less of heart palpitations but more of no appetite, overall feeling of weakness and fatigue, nauseous and a fear that something bad is going to happen to me. I saw my family GP who said I had low blood pressure. However, I these feelings of muscle tension, no appetite, fatigue and general feeling of discomfort persisted daily for the past week that I saw the TCM who said I had a weak heart. The next day I saw another GP who diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder and asked me to go on a 6mths to 1 year medication to cope with this. I didn't want to decide at that point as I was a little taken aback from this diagnosis partly as I always thought of myself as someone who can take stress etc....but the GP said it can happen to anyone at anytime and its a chemical imbalance. I need to ask if anyone here has had this medication treatment and if I should go ahead with it or try other forms of non medicated treatment first. GP gave me Xanax (for temporary only) and ask me to take only when required once a day. I was feeling a lot of tension yesterday and so far took only 1 and decided not to take anymore as I read it has an addiction effect. I would like to know if general anxiety includes like muscle tension even at the back of the teeth and face as I am feeling it more in those areas and pressure in between the eyes.

Sorry for the long post and appreciate any advise or sharing here.

Hi Erika,
Are you overly stressed at work or over family responsibilities? From what you describe, it seems like you are overly exhausted mentally and physically and low in energy. When you are low in energy, it is equivalent to a light bulb which is very dim and not able to function properly. Mental health affects physical health and vice versa. If you are always in an intense state, the nerves will also be tighter and this will affect the blood circulation/flow and in turn affects the overall health. So besides seeing doctor, I feel you need to find a way to relax your mind and body and recharge battery. But your body will relax only after your mind is relaxed or at least you have to feel calm and peaceful.

I used to be very stressed at work and gets uptight easily. I always feel very moody and low and uninterested in other things and always feel very negative. My blood pressure is also low. This has affected my sleep and I tend to wake up in the middle of the night feeling tense up. My menses become super irregular to the extent that I miss my menses for more than a year. I went to see western and Chinese doctor for my problems, but none can resolve my issue. Even the Chinese doctor say he can't help me and ask me to find another doctor. I was devastated then.

But fortunately, I found a way to heal myself-meditation. Through meditation, I manage to recharge my battery over time and my menses come back and become regular and I sleep well. My mind is also clearer and I feel more energetic and positive. I also feel more calm. Such a positive change does not happen overnight. It takes perseverance to keep trying. I set aside time about 2 hours for my meditation practice everyday (initially I started with 1 hr)But something to note is that meditation is not suitable for sczhemnia (精神分裂症) patients.

This is my sharing. Hope it helps. If you want to know where I attend the meditation classes, you can leave a message here. The meditation centre also has stress relief meditation classes.
Hi there ,

thanks for sharing with me .I actually don’t know if I feel I am overly stressed with work and family . I just took on a new job which is an office job after 14 years actually . Prior to this I was SAHM and I was a business owner. So maybe that could be a trigger I am not sure. But I have worries and maybe that could be the reason as well. I am trying to see if I can overcome this feeling without having to take medication and seek another GP’s opinion actually. The thing is I have been feeling like my face tense up and have pressure at the back of my teeth as well and it comes and goes daily, and I feel like my whole body’s energy is used up sometimes for no apparent reason. Am not sure if this is part of GAD. I would think so. I don’t mind trying meditation of course as I prefer going through the holistic way if possible . Would appreciate if you could share the meditation Center with me. Thanks again and happy to know you are feeling so much better :)

Hi,

I have a friend who is a homemaker staying at home to take care of her kids. She has panic attacks quite often and always have sleepless nights. She has suicidal thoughts and depression. She suddenly cannot stand noise. She said she tried an online chanting which makes her feel relaxed and peaceful and able to sleep well at night.now she feels more positive. Her young daughter, who had night terror, can sleep well at night after her daughter chanted. You can leave a message here if u want me to share the online chanting. Chanting is also a form of meditation.
Hi, can you share with me the online chanting?

Hi, try exercise in the morning early 7am, get a good breakfast, adopt healthy lifestyle, well balanced diey and get in touch with good friends, neighbour and talk to someone. Communication is key. Sleep is impt too. Engage in activities you love. Join a club. Go for spa session. Accept that we need a break sometimes to recharge ourselves.

Back