Anyone had premature babies < 36 weeks?

thanks for yr advice, sasha ...

yes im 36 weeks now. Ive always worried that premature babies may hv undeveloped lung problems, later send ICU or incubator, bill can be scary. Now i feel more assured. Gynae also says no worries if baby wanna come out now & last friday checkup shows head not engage yet.

Hi sasha

My gynae is also Dr Benjamin Tham. Really a very nice, friendly, encouraging doc. Had recommended my friend to him. She still choose him (private) instead of going C ward.

I agree wif you. KKH has the biggest NICU in Singapore. Just learnt from my friend her baby might be premature & that premature baby will hv to stay 22 days. Maybe that is why it is always so full, considering that the baby have to stay so many days plus giving priority to KKH patients.

Preventing Premature Births news to share

Progesterone Prevents Preterm Birth for Some Women advertisement

Aug. 2 (HealthDay News) -- The hormone progesterone may help prevent preterm birth in some women, but it doesn't work for everyone.

A pair of studies in the Aug. 2 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine found that progesterone didn't help prevent preterm birth for women carrying twins or triplets, but it was helpful in women carrying a single baby who also had a condition known as short cervix.

"The phenomenon of preterm birth is complex and there are probably multiple pathways involved so, ultimately, we will probably have to have multiple solutions," said Dr. John Thorp, a co-author on the twin study and a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Preterm birth is defined as birth that occurs before the 37th week of pregnancy. About 12 percent -- or one in eight -- of babies born in the United States are born preterm, according to the March of Dimes. The earlier a baby is born, the more likely it is that the baby will have health or developmental problems.

In the first study, researchers randomly assigned 661 women who were pregnant with twins to receive weekly injections of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate (17P) or a placebo injection. The injections began at 16 to 20 weeks of gestation and ended at 35 weeks.

The researchers found that 17P was not effective in preventing preterm birth. Delivery or fetal death before 35 weeks' gestation occurred in 41.5 percent of the pregnancies in the 17P group and in 37.3 percent of the pregnancies receiving placebo. Serious adverse events to the baby occurred in 20 percent of the 17P group and 18 percent of the placebo group, according to the study.

"This therapy that we hoped would be a magic bullet in the prevention of preterm birth was not effective for twins," Thorp said.

In the second study, researchers compared the use of vaginal progesterone to a placebo in women with a short cervix. A short cervix develops sometime during early to mid-pregnancy, according to Dr. Robert Welch, chairman and program director of obstetrics and gynecology at St. John's Providence Hospital in Southfield, Mich. Experts aren't sure exactly what causes a woman to develop a short cervix, but it's not something that can be predicted ahead of time, he noted.

For this study, British researchers measured the cervical length of nearly 25,000 pregnant women. They found 413 (1.7 percent) had a short cervix. From that group, they randomized 250 of the women to receive either 200 milligrams of vaginal progesterone, administered nightly, or a placebo.

In this population, researchers found a significant benefit from the progesterone therapy. Delivery before 34 weeks of gestation occurred in 19.2 percent of those receiving progesterone vs. 34.4 percent of those on placebo.

"This study certainly gives hope to women diagnosed with short cervix," said Welch, who added that progesterone is a fairly inexpensive treatment, generally costing less than $100 for therapy throughout pregnancy. And, he said, it appears to be safe to use in pregnancy.

As to why one study showed a benefit while the other didn't, Thorp said it's likely that there are likely numerous pathways or mechanisms that lead to preterm birth, and there will likely have to be numerous therapies to prevent each type of preterm birth. It could also be that one study used injectable progesterone, while the other was administered vaginally, or it might be that twins or triplets need higher doses of progesterone.

"There are a lot of things we try to prevent preterm birth, but few are effective. In women with a history of preterm delivery, preliminary studies have shown progesterone can reduce preterm birth and there are no birth defects associated with it. We don't have anything else to offer women with a history of preterm birth. And we haven't had really had anything to offer women with a short cervix up to this point. Unfortunately, it looks like with twins, we still don't have a lot to offer," Welch said.

SOURCES: John Thorp, M.D., professor, obstetrics and gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Robert Welch, M.D., chairman and program director, obstetrics and gynecology, St. John's Providence Hospital, Southfield, Mich.; Aug. 2, 2007, New England Journal of Medicine
Publish Date: August 02, 2007

Progesterone Prevents Preterm Birth for Some Women advertisement
Aug. 2 (HealthDay News) -- The hormone progesterone may help prevent preterm birth in some women, but it doesn't work for everyone.

A pair of studies in the Aug. 2 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine found that progesterone didn't help prevent preterm birth for women carrying twins or triplets, but it was helpful in women carrying a single baby who also had a condition known as short cervix.

"The phenomenon of preterm birth is complex and there are probably multiple pathways involved so, ultimately, we will probably have to have multiple solutions," said Dr. John Thorp, a co-author on the twin study and a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Preterm birth is defined as birth that occurs before the 37th week of pregnancy. About 12 percent -- or one in eight -- of babies born in the United States are born preterm, according to the March of Dimes. The earlier a baby is born, the more likely it is that the baby will have health or developmental problems.

In the first study, researchers randomly assigned 661 women who were pregnant with twins to receive weekly injections of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate (17P) or a placebo injection. The injections began at 16 to 20 weeks of gestation and ended at 35 weeks.

The researchers found that 17P was not effective in preventing preterm birth. Delivery or fetal death before 35 weeks' gestation occurred in 41.5 percent of the pregnancies in the 17P group and in 37.3 percent of the pregnancies receiving placebo. Serious adverse events to the baby occurred in 20 percent of the 17P group and 18 percent of the placebo group, according to the study.

"This therapy that we hoped would be a magic bullet in the prevention of preterm birth was not effective for twins," Thorp said.

In the second study, researchers compared the use of vaginal progesterone to a placebo in women with a short cervix. A short cervix develops sometime during early to mid-pregnancy, according to Dr. Robert Welch, chairman and program director of obstetrics and gynecology at St. John's Providence Hospital in Southfield, Mich. Experts aren't sure exactly what causes a woman to develop a short cervix, but it's not something that can be predicted ahead of time, he noted.

For this study, British researchers measured the cervical length of nearly 25,000 pregnant women. They found 413 (1.7 percent) had a short cervix. From that group, they randomized 250 of the women to receive either 200 milligrams of vaginal progesterone, administered nightly, or a placebo.

In this population, researchers found a significant benefit from the progesterone therapy. Delivery before 34 weeks of gestation occurred in 19.2 percent of those receiving progesterone vs. 34.4 percent of those on placebo.

"This study certainly gives hope to women diagnosed with short cervix," said Welch, who added that progesterone is a fairly inexpensive treatment, generally costing less than $100 for therapy throughout pregnancy. And, he said, it appears to be safe to use in pregnancy.

As to why one study showed a benefit while the other didn't, Thorp said it's likely that there are likely numerous pathways or mechanisms that lead to preterm birth, and there will likely have to be numerous therapies to prevent each type of preterm birth. It could also be that one study used injectable progesterone, while the other was administered vaginally, or it might be that twins or triplets need higher doses of progesterone.

"There are a lot of things we try to prevent preterm birth, but few are effective. In women with a history of preterm delivery, preliminary studies have shown progesterone can reduce preterm birth and there are no birth defects associated with it. We don't have anything else to offer women with a history of preterm birth. And we haven't had really had anything to offer women with a short cervix up to this point. Unfortunately, it looks like with twins, we still don't have a lot to offer," Welch said.

SOURCES: John Thorp, M.D., professor, obstetrics and gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Robert Welch, M.D., chairman and program director, obstetrics and gynecology, St. John's Providence Hospital, Southfield, Mich.; Aug. 2, 2007, New England Journal of Medicine
Publish Date: August 02, 2007

Progesterone Prevents Preterm Birth for Some Women

My boy was premature at 34 weeks. He was 1.8kg at birth. Was in NICU for 2 weeks. Now he's 12 weeks old, weighing in at 5kg. Thank god for technology - nobody will believe he was a preterm when they look at him now.

Hi Shazzie,
that's great
happy.gif

mine was 1015kg at 32weeks, she's ok now.
do go to http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/490727.html?1192498376

that's where I go to chat to other premmie baby mums

hi twinsmummy,

understand that yr bills came up to $50K in KK, any deduction on medisave? How much can be deducted using medisave &amp; how much need to pay in cash? Tks a lot.

hi twinsmummy

My baby is borned at 26 weeks and weighed 620g. He's also very small and is still at ICU. He looks so small and thin, and has tubes all around him. Sometimes I can't help but think i caused him to suffer. Can you share your experience on caring for them? It is good to know that your kids are growing well. Thank God.

Hi food bin,

My friend had juz been admitted to SGH, and she's oso only 26weeks now. Docs are trying all tat they can to prevent the bb from coming out? Can u share ur experience with me? Like how long did ur son stayed in NICU? Wat was the procedures involved? Wat was the total cost like?

Hi Piglet

Actually, I gave birth just 3 weeks ago. Doctors expected that my baby would need to be in ICU for another 3 months at least. I had severe PE. I was admitted and they gave me the jab for maturing the baby's lungs just in case i need to deliver anytime soon then. During the day of delivery, doctor detected very little fetal movement though heartbeat was heard. For fear of fetal distress, a immediate c-section was planned. Right after baby was delivered, he was sent to NICU. I took the B2 class, as advised by gynae and nurse coz they knew baby will be in ICU for a long while and costs will be hefty. (Baby's class will follow mother's class chosen.) Each day is about $250 dollars. Duno total cost yet.

Breast Milk to Give Away

Hi. I have some 50 bottles of breast milk to give away. They were expressed in Aug and Sep when I'm trying to up my supply. I'm giving them away as my freezer is full and my supply is established. Please contact me at 9878-8384 if you're interested.

juz wan to share...

i oso gave to my both baby boys @ premature at 35 weeks plus..

As for elder boy was born @ yr 2006 ..when i was preggie i got lots of complications..pain..cramps.. &amp; got very bad strong contractions since wk 28 hospitalised with drips..jabs as doctors say my baby is not ready yet to come out..n got being admitted so many times in KK..t<textarea>juz wan to share...

i oso gave to my both baby boys @ premature at 35 weeks plus..

As for elder boy was born @ yr 2006 ..when i was preggie i got lots of complications..pain..cramps.. &amp; got very bad strong contractions since wk 28 hospitalised with drips..jabs as doctors say my baby is not ready yet to come out..n got being admitted so many times in KK..till wk 35 close to wk 36 i got again very bad contractions n was admitted then doc decided to opt mi for emergency c-section.. &amp; my boy was born 2.98kg ..was quite a big baby..n he's lucky doesnt need to be hospitalised with extra days there..after c-sec he was brought to normal nursery room where my admission ward is..stay @ 3days oni..Now he's so big liao..2yrs old..Strong n healthy..happy boy..

N the same tings happen again to my 'lao er'(2nd boy) juz born july 08..but tis time i got bad contraction @ wk35..no matter tat day wat doctors at labour room kk..medications..jabs..cant even stop the pain..I got pain from morning 9am till nite 9plus ..then doc decided to opt mi for emergency c-section.. &amp; my boy was born 2.5kg ..but he was send immediately to SCN..i didnt manange to c him after c-sec..oni c him the next day..he was warded one extra day (total 4days) bcos of poor sucking..Now he's coming 5mths..was so chubby..big size.. N nobody believe both my boys r premuture babys...

i hv a qn, how long does it averagely take a preemie to gain 400 g in NICU? My preemie still 1.6kg after 2 wk in NICU.

Back