Post deleted

Hi Poco,

Would like to follow your post.

My younger son is 3, also like yours, has very good memories, academic wise Teachers always say he is ahead of his peers like he can tell you A is for Apple B is for Boy all the way to Z before age of 2. Now he is also learning to read by himself, I was also shocked like when he read “Galaxy” when he saw my husband’s handphone wallpaper. He is currently interested in planets and can tell you which planet has the most water, or gas, or is the hottest when you question him. Everything that interests him he can remember them very clearly. Though I suspect that he has mild autism (going to see psychologist at NUH in Dec) cause his eye contact is not very consistent and also his speech is not as good as his peers in terms of forming sentences, I see his classmates able to say “I don’t want to share, I don’t want to friend you” things like that but he doesn’t say much in sentences but improving gradually as we try to teach him to speak in sentences. Can’t really follow instructions well in a crowded setting like his childcare. We are currently on a early intervention programme. I also feel like he is quite immature compared to his peers. Like to see if any other mummies have any that have had these experiences and can give us advice.

I would advise if possible don’t go nuh, If want go private.
I brought my son to NUH when he was age 4 (N2) to a head/senior for 30mins consultation.
I was paying as private rate so can choose Dr.
25 mins she asked my particular and type in her pc, as if I’m in job interview ( I alrdy filled 3 (same ) forms!)
She doesn’t talk to my son, less than 5mins she anyhow asked my son 3 questions from a book and skip before he answer, no patience and write me a letter said he has suspect autism and even defer him P1!

Ask me go EIPIC Center , go private if can afford cuz faster.
I feel as if their daily routine job to repeat the same phase to every parents.
If want diagnose need wait 6months.
But attitude from head was like this.... I can’t trust any psychologist anymore.
I feel lucky I did not diagnose him, no label , no record and may misdiagnose.
My son has improve so much in a year.

I have a gf her son similiar to mine , diagnosed as KKH at age 3.5 as autism, Dr said he will go special school ,now age 5+ normal. But a record in kkh.

I taught him step by step since age 3.... from zero till now he is 80-90% ok.
Except for social skill and small talk.

R ur son in mainstream school? He is N1?
Which early intervention program did u put him? I have went few but none was good. So better to depend on ourselves.
Give your son a chance to learn and also you teach and help him if possible.

I advise you Focus on his weak area , step by step, needs lots of patience...
Now most important work on his eye contact.

If he is immature ,now is 3 but inner maybe age 2 only... so how can u expect age 2 to talk and behave like age 3?

Trust your instinct.

Hi Poco,

Thanks for your reply and advice. We didn’t go private route cause too costly for us. So we went through polyclinic and they referred us to NUH CDUC at Choa Chu Kang. The PD was the one who encouraged us to go EPIC which we are currently now at pathlight for the early intervention programme, twice a week for 3 hours each time. I didn’t know after diagnosis will have a record in hospital? Then it will affect them in future? How much is it for a private psychologist to access them? Is it possible to let them access but early intervention programme done at government’a centre?

Yes he is in N1 now and he entered this mainstream school since 18 months, the Teachers aren’t very helpful when I ask if the early intervention centre can contact them to guide them on how to better support my son in a mainstream setting as it was raised by the Teachers at the mainstream school that my son doesn’t follow the class at times. Eg if it is story time, all the children will sit down together in front of the teacher and listen to the story while my son goes to the book corner starts taking the books to flip through on his own. Only when he has a interest in a particular subject/topic then he joins the class.

I also noticed that he cries a lot when he knows he needs to go to mainstream school but the teacher feedback that he only cries awhile and when he is brought into the class he stops. But whenever I tell him we are going to the class at pathlight he gets very excited and happy - that’s the reason why I wanted the centre to guide the mainstream kindergarten so it is easier for the Teachers to get him to listen as well. I have considered changing schools for him, but I heard it is very hard as the Teachers wouldn’t want “extra work” also. My friend’s son was diagnosed with Autism at 5 years old, he was studying in Montessori and the Teachers say couldn’t handle him, she withdrew him from the school and wanted to place him in another childcare but nobody wanted to accept the son, so now he is not even attending any mainstream school. Which I think would be helpful for their condition, at least they are exposed to the mainstream settings.

I do try and practice what the EPIC Teachers teach at the programme at home. I do see some improvements but not sure if it’s because of the centre or just that he is slowly growing so he is also improving by himself. Like recently he calls “mummy! Mummy!” He wants to say something but doesn’t know how to use his words to form the sentence I think?

Last edited:
Hi Chubby baby2,

Didn’t know Pathlight has EIPIC, do you mean inside Pathlight school? Suspect autism then as go EIPIC @ Pathlight right?
Private diagnose around 2+k.
Why do you want to diagnose him at age 3? No eye contact, communciation / speech delayed sure he will diagnose under Autism Spectrum.
Since you already knew he will diagnose under Autism Spectrum then why do you want him to diagnose?
What did the NUH Pd said about him?

Why don’t you teach/ help him whatever he lack of and give him a chance to improve before bring him to diagnose?
I think is fair for him too.
Need to prepare him before put him to exam right?

If EIPIC center is good for him then you con’t put him in EIPIC center ( you check with EIPIC will he has a record ) , I did not put him in gov EIPIC as I worry has a record.
I put him in private EIPIC for 2 months and tried few centers 2days-1 mth none was good.....long stories.
So I decided to help him by myself.

Our sons don’t know how to complain , so you have to find out the reason why he dislike mainstream.
It will do more harm to him if the Teachers just leave him alone , create more chance for him to live in his own.

Normal diagnose for 2 reasons :
1) to go Pathlight 2) to defer him Pri 1.

Yes ,dun withdraw him first, is very hard to find mainstream school to accept him.
So try to find other school then you transfer him out.

Does your son repeat phases/ story from TV/ you tube? Self talk? Echolalia?Melt down?

But whenever I tell him we are going to the class at pathlight he gets very excited and happy
But whenever I tell him we are going to the class at pathlight he gets very excited and happy

You see your boy can understand what you said and react to it, is a good sign.

If possible , I would suggest you quit your job for 1-2 yrs help him. If not, then you must teach him 1-1 everyday for min 2hrs.

Hi Poco,

Ya inside pathlight there is like a “childcare” centre to help with early intervention. The PD said to do the assessment so that we know the root of the “problem” but ask me to start with early intervention before the assessment to see how. I didn’t know assessment means to either go pathlight or defer P1, cause I did tell the PD and the Teachers at EIPIC that my goal was for him to go mainstream primary school. So should I wait till he is older if he doesn’t get better then bring for the assessment?

Yes he memorise the very hungry caterpillar story and when he is in the mood he will say the whole story. He doesn’t really repeat phrases when he watch TV or YouTube, but I think he learn something from a particular show then if he remembers suddenly then he will apply in real life. Like I took out a piece of paper to write ABCs then he took the pen from my hand and said “let me try” no meltdowns - unless referring to when he goes to mainstream school in the morning but teacher say cry awhile only. Sometimes he repeats what we say but it’s not like so many times. Maybe once? His speech is limited so like when he wants something I ask “do you want mummy to make milk?” He says yes. So actually he understands what I say and ask him to do, but eye contact is not consistent but improving. And lack of social and communication skills? He plays with his brother but don’t like to share.

And also can you share what you teach your boy? Cause I attended his EIPIC class a few times only. What I can train him is not that much..

Hi Poco,

Thanks for your reply and advice. We didn’t go private route cause too costly for us. So we went through polyclinic and they referred us to NUH CDUC at Choa Chu Kang. The PD was the one who encouraged us to go EPIC which we are currently now at pathlight for the early intervention programme, twice a week for 3 hours each time. I didn’t know after diagnosis will have a record in hospital? Then it will affect them in future? How much is it for a private psychologist to access them? Is it possible to let them access but early intervention programme done at government’a centre?

Yes he is in N1 now and he entered this mainstream school since 18 months, the Teachers aren’t very helpful when I ask if the early intervention centre can contact them to guide them on how to better support my son in a mainstream setting as it was raised by the Teachers at the mainstream school that my son doesn’t follow the class at times. Eg if it is story time, all the children will sit down together in front of the teacher and listen to the story while my son goes to the book corner starts taking the books to flip through on his own. Only when he has a interest in a particular subject/topic then he joins the class.

I also noticed that he cries a lot when he knows he needs to go to mainstream school but the teacher feedback that he only cries awhile and when he is brought into the class he stops. But whenever I tell him we are going to the class at pathlight he gets very excited and happy - that’s the reason why I wanted the centre to guide the mainstream kindergarten so it is easier for the Teachers to get him to listen as well. I have considered changing schools for him, but I heard it is very hard as the Teachers wouldn’t want “extra work” also. My friend’s son was diagnosed with Autism at 5 years old, he was studying in Montessori and the Teachers say couldn’t handle him, she withdrew him from the school and wanted to place him in another childcare but nobody wanted to accept the son, so now he is not even attending any mainstream school. Which I think would be helpful for their condition, at least they are exposed to the mainstream settings.

I do try and practice what the EPIC Teachers teach at the programme at home. I do see some improvements but not sure if it’s because of the centre or just that he is slowly growing so he is also improving by himself. Like recently he calls “mummy! Mummy!” He wants to say something but doesn’t know how to use his words to form the sentence I think?

Btw how is your friend autism son?
Is he Mild , Moderate or Serious?
Since he has diagnose under gov, he can seek help from PAP school.
Some private childcare were ok with mild autism but school fees not cheap.

If he has went to EIPIC center , has no violent, serious melt down, has a psychologist report, mild , most school can accept him.
Without report most school will not want to accept.

Her son has to go to mainstream school to mix with normal children.
I know few private mainstream childcare have inclusion for mild. Pm me if need info.

Everything just needs time, and everything to learn, do not worry in vain. Friends had such a problem, and after a little time, it was solved, because time = experience

Back