anybody can refer me for cord blood banking?

I'm keen to sign up with stemcord & gathered from old posts that there are shopping vouchers for both referrer & referee, so was thinking why not. Anybody who can refer me, please message me at 94751180, thanks!
oh nice! out of curiosity, why did you choose stemcord? :)

oh nice! out of curiosity, why did you choose stemcord? :)

are you considering to store as well??

i have done some research on my own, and i find cordlife reputable. one of the qualities that strike me is that cordlife is the first company in Sg, which means to say more experience and more equipped. they have their own storing facilities, means my baby's cord blood is gonna be there for a long time without being worried that the rental lease will be up any time soon.

We chose stemcord also. Main reason is that we can store the cord blood in 2 packets at 2 different locations. If touch wood need to use 1 packet, you still have another packet left.

We chose Cordlife as they are the most experienced in the market. Anyway, I heard that the dual storage of Stemcord does not help in transplant if touch wood 1 of the cord blood is being damaged. Because if you need the cord blood for transplant, you would need to retrieve both blood bags back

Hi all,

We chose Stemcord for a few reasons:
  1. They do not hard sell like the other two companies. We asked Stemcord about storing the cord lining and they do not actively push for ppl to sign up with them. Citing that the research over cord lining is at the infancy stage. However, Stemcord uses enzymes to process the cord lining, thus resulting in greater yield.
  2. Stemcord has two separate storage facilities with independent power supply. This gives us greater assurance that, in any case of failure, we should have at least one bag still viable. Cordlife stores in one facility while Cryoviva rents their facility from the Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB). There is even a disclaimer on SCBB's website that reads "Disclaimer: SCBB provides cord blood processing and storage service for Cryoviva Singapore. SCBB and Cryoviva Singapore are independent and separate legal entities and have no influence over each other's business operations. SCBB will not take any responsibility for Cryoviva Singapore's cord blood units, if and when this service agreement ceases."
  3. Collection of cord blood. Stemcord has their delivery service to the different hospitals daily. We do not have to call them to collect. This reduce the burden on us trying to remember to call them while in the midst of preparing for delivery. I understand that a call to Cryoviva has to be made on the way to hospital for the collection.
  4. Stemcord is not listed on the stock exchange. Not listed = no shareholder pressure to generate higher earnings every year.
  5. Stemcord offers membership fees rebate for Mount Alvernia Hospital and 50% off the antenatal class fees.

We chose Cordlife as they are the most experienced in the market. Anyway, I heard that the dual storage of Stemcord does not help in transplant if touch wood 1 of the cord blood is being damaged. Because if you need the cord blood for transplant, you would need to retrieve both blood bags back

I agree with you - all the cord blood to be used is ideal for a successful treatment. and they are stored in 2 different facilities, in my pov, it may be difficult to monitor and respond closely despite the systems implemented.

Hi all,

1. They do not hard sell like the other two companies. We asked Stemcord about storing the cord lining and they do not actively push for ppl to sign up with them. Citing that the research over cord lining is at the infancy stage. However, Stemcord uses enzymes to process the cord lining, thus resulting in greater yield.
  2. Stemcord has two separate storage facilities with independent power supply. This gives us greater assurance that, in any case of failure, we should have at least one bag still viable. Cordlife stores in one facility while Cryoviva rents their facility from the Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB). There is even a disclaimer on SCBB's website that reads "Disclaimer: SCBB provides cord blood processing and storage service for Cryoviva Singapore. SCBB and Cryoviva Singapore are independent and separate legal entities and have no influence over each other's business operations. SCBB will not take any responsibility for Cryoviva Singapore's cord blood units, if and when this service agreement ceases."
  3. Collection of cord blood. Stemcord has their delivery service to the different hospitals daily. We do not have to call them to collect. This reduce the burden on us trying to remember to call them while in the midst of preparing for delivery. I understand that a call to Cryoviva has to be made on the way to hospital for the collection.
  4. Stemcord is not listed on the stock exchange. Not listed = no shareholder pressure to generate higher earnings every year.
  5. Stemcord offers membership fees rebate for Mount Alvernia Hospital and 50% off the antenatal class fees.
Oh i see! just wondering what will be the case of failure? will there be any form of compensation? cos i may 'loogi' if i need to use them for future.

Oh i see! just wondering what will be the case of failure? will there be any form of compensation? cos i may 'loogi' if i need to use them for future.

From StemCord's website (refer http://www.stemcord.com/stemcord-difference/stemcord-bonus-covers/#stemcord3-3:)

Details
When you entrust your child’s cord blood unit(s) with StemCord for processing and storage, you are protected by StemCord QualityPlus, a guarantee of quality that your child’s cord blood is viable for use. It assures you of S$75,000 if your child’s cord blood unit(s) do not engraft in a stem cell transplant following standard, recognised medical practices. This sum will help defray the cost for the procurement of an alternative stem cell source if medically indicated.

What documents do I need to produce to make a claim?
In the unforeseen event that a claim needs to be made: Supporting laboratory reports and a statement endorsed by the treating physician certifying that the cord blood stem cells had failed to engraft during the transplant are required.

Hi all,

1) The 2 Cordlife Consultants that I have met for my 1st and 2nd child also do not hard sell. Not sure how you define Hard Selling. When I was unsure about which company to store with, the consultant even advice me to talk to the other company first before deciding. Totally no pressure. This is what I like. They were more knowledgable also

2) my consultant told me that usually when there is a need for transplant, the Doctors would need 80-100% of the blood for transfusion. So I think with stemcord's 50-50 storage. If one is not viable, the other 50% will not even be enough for a transplant right?

3) Cordlife also offers collection from all the Hospitals in Singapore.

4) not sure if they have pressure to generate higher earnings every year. But like I mention in point 1, I wasn't pressured by the Consultants to store with them. And moreover, they are just employees. Why would they be pressured on the stocks for the company?

5) 50% for mount a clients, so for other people delivering in other Hospitals, they will be paying more?

And also to add on, in the very unfortunate event when Cordlife spoils the cord blood unit, they will help to find a match back to you. And if they can't find the match, they will compensate 50k. Which I think finding a match first is more important in such situations

Anyone can advise why choose a "paid" stem cord bank vs the public bank?

Public bank is donation, if it is okay to store, it will be stored there for people who needs it to buy from there. Private bank you store for your own use. If family members need to use it, it will be readily there. Don't need to search for it and buy which will be damn expensive

i also have a good experience from my cordlife consultant. i was quite hesitant at first because i was quite scared they will pressure me into spending more money.

@Subdude 78, here i9smy feedback:

1. like chewysoh, my consultant is friendly and professional. i told her that money is an issue but at the same time i want my baby to be protected. she took it into consideration and help me to see which package is suitable for my situation. i was very undecided, but throughout our consultation, she remained very patient.

2. cordlife has their own storage facility, and they use cryotanks to make sure the cord blood is stored in the right temperature consistently. means i dont have to worry about power failure/ shortage. b'cos they regularly check and monitor the temperature, and will change the tanks once the temperature is not within the correct temperature.

3. cordlife collects cordblood from all hospitals daily.

4. for me, may not concern me that much. but being on sgx means, they are financially stable and means they will be here in singapore for a long time. which means to also say, i dont need to worry so much.

5. my consultant is very kind and she helped to analyze the ideal price package for me, and because i have the FBI card with thomson medical. i can just go for the seminars organized by them, free with gynae appointment card.

We have some reservations over Cordlife after certain events:

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/cordlife-board-queried-over-ex-ceos-departure
Cordlife reported a $2.1 million net loss for the three months to March 31, a steep fall from the $18.4 million profit a year ago, while revenue rose 4.7 per cent to $14.9 million.

Dr Ho added that the current management, led by newly appointed chief operating officer Tan Poh Lan - former chief executive of Fortis Healthcare - will focus on growing relationships and trust in South-east Asia, where Cordlife's market penetration in countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines has not been sufficient.

http://www.straitstimes.com/busines...s-claims-he-left-over-pay-rift-are-inaccurate

Mr Yee also addressed Dr Ho's claim that he had not been able to grow the company's core earnings, noting that over the years Cordlife has faced "intense competition" from rival cord blood-banking firms such as Cryoviva Singapore.

Inherently, any SGX -listed company has to answer to their shareholders... And the best answer any board of directors would want to give shareholders is the increase in their profits. While this does not mean that non-SGX listed companies can ignore their earnings and be making losses, however, less emphasis on profit before everything else.

However, let's get back to the main issue at hand: the security and safe-keeping of the extracted cord blood:

All 3 companies (Cord Life, Stemcord and Cryoviva) adheres to certain international standards.
Cordlife: AABB accreditation, FACT accreditation and MOH-licensed.
Stemcord: FACT-NetCord accreditation and MOH-licensed.
Cyroviva: contracted AABB accreditation, CAP accreditation and MOH-licensed. (using SCBB facilities)

This means that the storage in all three companies are theoretically safe.

It really boils down to the chemistry between the salesperson and you... and if you prefer to store in two bags or one. Some say having two bags give them two chance, some say why separate into two bags, sekarli one bag not enough.

In this time and age, we can find information on the net anytime. It is important for us to do some research and see which company is more suited to our own requirements. There is no need to push whichever company is better than the others. Own personal choices, own personal requirements. That's my feel.

Last edited:
Having Change of CEO in a listed company is no big deal. Eg I believe it does not affect the customers to open up a New account with certain banks just because there is a change of CEO.

And of course, how the cord blood bank stores and handles the baby's blood is very important. Not just the chemistry of you and the sales person. No use when Chemistry very good with the sales person but they spoil your cord blood while processing.

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing. Cordlife offers different plans for cord blood and cord lining banking. Their plan for banking both cord blood and cord lining at an upfront fee of $6200 (annual fee of $250) is a lot more expensive than just either one (vs upfront fee of $1600 for cord blood only and $1500 for cord lining only / annual fee of $250).

So I've been trying to figure out from Stemcord website if they offer cord lining cryogenic storage, but I don't seem to see any offer for cord lining banking, in fact, there's only mention of cord blood on their website - http://www.stemcord.com/pricing-and-enrolment/pricing/

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. Cordlife offers different plans for cord blood and cord lining banking. Their plan for banking both cord blood and cord lining at an upfront fee of $6200 (annual fee of $250) is a lot more expensive than just either one (vs upfront fee of $1600 for cord blood only and $1500 for cord lining only / annual fee of $250).

So I've been trying to figure out from Stemcord website if they offer cord lining cryogenic storage, but I don't seem to see any offer for cord lining banking, in fact, there's only mention of cord blood on their website - http://www.stemcord.com/pricing-and-enrolment/pricing/

I would recommend to visit the different companies during baby fair and other seminars that they will be at from time to time.

The coming baby fair is *************** 2016 from 12 Aug to 14 Aug at Suntec, while Stemcord is having a seminar on 2 Jul at Gleneagles Hospital (link http://www.stemcord.com/stemcord-events/seminar-workshop/maternity-seminar-fair-2/)

You can better compare between the three companies that way. Have a good pregnancy!

I have signed up for cordlife for my previous child last year and made full payment.

But found that he is a thalassemia minor. I heard thalassemia minor cordblood usage might have limitation, so checked with cordlife if we can terminate the thalassemia minor storage and replace with my next child since we have made a full payment already but cordlife refused and insist there is no limitation at all.

I checked with the other cordblood company, and was told that thalassemia minor cordblood can't be used on sibling/parent, so I'm doubting if cordlife is not telling the truth just to earn $.

Now I'm considering to store for my next baby too, but definitely not with cordlife.
Also lesson learned, I won't be making full payment again.

I have signed up for cordlife for my previous child last year and made full payment.

But found that he is a thalassemia minor. I heard thalassemia minor cordblood usage might have limitation, so checked with cordlife if we can terminate the thalassemia minor storage and replace with my next child since we have made a full payment already but cordlife refused and insist there is no limitation at all.

I checked with the other cordblood company, and was told that thalassemia minor cordblood can't be used on sibling/parent, so I'm doubting if cordlife is not telling the truth just to earn $.

Now I'm considering to store for my next baby too, but definitely not with cordlife.
Also lesson learned, I won't be making full payment again.

just FYI, my cousin and i stored our children's cord blood with cordlife also.

my niece was diagnosed with thalassemia minor inherited from her father. they continued storing because there is no negative impact on her life and her future. i think if you ask other banks about storing a child (who is a thalessemia minor)'s cord blood, they will also allow you to store unless a child is a thalessemia major..

just FYI, my cousin and i stored our children's cord blood with cordlife also.

my niece was diagnosed with thalassemia minor inherited from her father. they continued storing because there is no negative impact on her life and her future. i think if you ask other banks about storing a child (who is a thalessemia minor)'s cord blood, they will also allow you to store unless a child is a thalessemia major..

I understand having thalassemia minor has no impact on the person's life. But what I meant was the limitation in terms of using the blood cord (like if the cord blood can't be use for his siblings/parents if needed due to it is contaminated with thalassemia minor).
And since I having another child, and if he is non-thalasasemia minor, I'd prefer to store the "clean" blood instead.

We chose stemcord also. Main reason is that we can store the cord blood in 2 packets at 2 different locations. If touch wood need to use 1 packet, you still have another packet left.

Hmmm from my limited knowledge, transplants don't have the luxury of using half dosage... Doctors don't dare to take the risk too. If yes then the world donation banks would all store in multiple bags to avail more people to seek help from, then they can probably earn more from each sale of each portion..... but all donation banks follow international standards of a single storage bag which is FDA approved... This is just my 2 cents worth...

Hi ! Interested in storing my baby cord blood with Cryoviva... Anyone store with them before ? They offer quite comprehensive package currently including free international shipment of cord blood for transfusion in the future and etc... Would like to know any other people option? Cheers !

Back