Any Singaporean living in Johor Bahru ?

mummm

Hi!Is there anyone staying there but work and children study in Singapore? I would wan to gather more information.Now the living cost is very high and moreover my husband is sick.Thinking of renting out my flat in Singapore.How much is the rental in Johor Bahru?Can we rent or must buy house?

Hi,
me and my family just have a rented hse in jb. Its a corner house with big garden and a new brand 2 storey hse with 4 bedroom. Few sporean frens also staying there and feel so relax when I'm there. And we rent the hse at rm 900 only, whereby in singapore it will course abt $5000 onwards. You could try and go around to view the houses there and will see many sporean have shifted there. I did not giveup my spore hse as my kids is still study here.

hi melia,

im considering to rent a house in jb too, mind if i check which area is your house located at?

Hi mummmm,

there is a clause in the immigration part. but if u travel often between sg and jb then should not be a problem. u can check with the immigration first.

as for rental in jb, well can range between RM500-RM1000 for a double storey house/bungalow single storey depending on area. and u may wanna think whether u wanna stay near tuas checkpoint or woodlands checkpoint.

as for transportation for your kids to go to sch, it would not be a problem cause a lot of bus services. a lot of parents in jb send their kids to sg to study. but ur kid would have to wake up like 4.30-5am.

if u are working in singapore, well u have to wake up ard 5am too.

so a lot of pros and cons. but if u are bringing SGD to jb, then definitely u will save a lot of money. say if ur income + rental is $3000.. after conversion its already RM7200.. considered as high income in msia di.

I'm also thinking of renting/living in JB. It's so expensive here and getting overwhelming.

melia97: how do i go about finding more info on renting in JB to avoid scams?

It's also better to live amongst other singaporeans in JB...to be there and support each other. Just like other Singaporeans living abroad.

Hi Melia,

Are you a Singaporean? I'm thinking of renting a property but I'm worried about being stopped at the custom from entering back into JB. How do you do it?

Which location are you near? The Woodlands or the Tuas, what Taman would that be?

I'm looking for a place near the Tuas checkpoint but transport is a problem since I can't drive and don't know anyone there. I'm being told that the majority of the people in the homes that I was looking at are Malaysian and Singapore PR not Singaporeans so .... errmm it's hard to get help.

I don't wish to have any long term commitment hence why I want to rent, but I'm just scared about the customs, please help, thank you.

me too.. i wud love to rent a house JB.. my hubby is working at tuas so i think i would prefer staying near at 2nd link..
but my kids.. my son is going to k1 soon.. posibble to send them to JB kindergarten?
when they finish their kindergarten, i'll send them to singapore school.. possible? which area does singaporean usually rent? so atleast if feels like home with alot singaporean ard...

Hi all,
Like to share of my own.

I be shifting to JB this month and officially will start my life there in Jan 2010.

Renting out my HDB 5 rm unit in NorthWest of Sg and moving into a beautiful 2 storey terrace house in Taman Perling.
With big enough compound for gardening and front porch that can fit 4 cars at RM1000, this can ONLY be luxury at minimal price to enjoy.
Nice mix races of friendly neighbors and few Singaporean too (Sg lic plate), you will definitely not be out of place.

Taman Perling, Taman Sutera, Bukit Indah and Nusajaya is the place to live in Johor now. Nearer to Tuas Chkpoint with many amenities around. Yellow Colour bus (CWT3 Bus think the name) shuttling between Bukit Indah and Jurong East Interchange everyday.

Give you an idea about this town, think East of Sg.
Bedok,Reservoir, Tampines, Pasir Ris all in 1 part of Johor.
With Iskandar now in full swing, the focus is now much in this area.

Nuri, Smart Readers are few of many good kindergarten you see in Johor with English as first language.

Should you need any assistance in finding a place there, hope link below might help.
http://www.mudah.my/

Since I still be working in Sg, convenient, easier accessibility and smooth journey to and fro is essential other than security.

This being the utmost reason why i chose this place but of course with little price to pay (the ERP & toll).

Good luck in your search and word of advise to enjoy living in JB;
Stop Comparing Sg to JB, it's all about adapting.

Hi,
Good day!
In fact, i am staying with my 2nd auntie because i can't afford a flat in Singapore.
Do you think it can really save a lot of staying in JB?
If the rented flat is low and there are alot of singaporean kakis, i really wish to find a rented flat from there, so i do not need to hear all kinds of gossips from those gossipers.

Hi, a very good condition of fully furnish apartment (1 common rooms with 3 beds + 1 master bedroom with queen size bed + 2 toilets) with built in cabinet, TV, Fridge, 4 air-con, washing machine, stove+cookerhood, minibar, 1 free sheltered car park, tennis court, swimming pool, meeting room, playground, 24hrs security and mini mart amenities, gym, barbecue area. The location of Aster Court strategically within 2 km radius consists of New York Hotel, MAA Building, Grand Continental Hotel, Metropolis Tower, Holiday Plaza, Seri Mutiara Hotel, City Square Shopping Centre and Plaza Pelangi Shopping Centre. Therefore stay at Aster Court will make your life more fun. More importantly it is only 5 min drive to woodland checkpoint can avoid all the traffic jam. To be rented out at Rm1350, kindly contact +6596228367 if interested.

I am an NIE-trained ex-teacher,and have taught in primary schools for a few years.I hold an NUS degree plus the post-grad diploma in teaching from NIE.After my teaching stints,I joined the textbook n assessment publishing industry.My last job was to help head a studentcare centre.I have many years of private tuition experience and also tuition-centre based teaching experience.I teach both pri and sec students in subjects like Eng,Maths and Science.I would love to hear the feedback from Sg parents staying in JB.Yr advice is appreciated.

I am thinking of straddling btw JB and Sg,maybe tutoring in sg for 4 days and in JB for 2 days.Reason?I need to unwind in the lush greenery that JB offers.Sg is upping everybody's blood pressure,literally.I am a single lady so there is no family commitment and I can do what I want.Please enlighten me.

I also feel sad for mummm and Carol Tan.Life must have been tough for them.My close friend is also in a similar situation,with 2 kids to support and disliking every bit of the educational system in sg.I hope her family will join me in JB.I am thinking of renting a single storey house there,and rent out my flat here.

So,here is the question:Would sg parents staying in JB want to employ my services for their kids,paying the same rate or a little less as in sg?But...I guess it would be convenient for them to have a sg tutor right in JB teaching their kids,following the sg school syllabus closely,not having to commute to tuition centres in sg.What do you say?

Not sure about others but my baby doing great in Kiddy here.
My plan is to put her in International School hence Sg syllabus may not be neccessary
or option 2 is; putting her in Govt school to blend with others in the neighbourhood.

School is still a school, cant be that bad.
Even in Sg workforce, many are Malaysian who went to Mal school and now doing good in Sg for living.

Nevertheless, individual choice.

With your experience, it will not be a problem to get a student here as many send their kids to Sg school.
With your plan to do a home tutor here, think it will work wonders for you.
With good marketing strategy, you can make decent or not good $ here.

Believe me, many Sg with families are doing good here and they will invest anyting for their kids education.
With you offerring that service at same cost as Sg but in RM, I can only say Wow!!
I envy you. : )

Good luck and All the Best!!!!

Sidenote;
my niece a College student in Sg came to visit and asking what tree is that with so big leave. (Banana tree)
My maid burst out laughing...

Hope I have make the right choice for my Baby.

Hi,

Anyone interested to buy house in Taman Setia Indah? My cousin plan to sell the house. Interested pls email for further discuss.

hi,

Anyone interested to buy house in JB Taman Setia Indah. My cousin is plan to sell her house. You may pm me for more detail.

U can rent a house there? win-win situation? haih ! my husband is not interested staying in JB but i am interested to invest a house in Malaysia IF got $$$$

Hi,

Due to the massive cost of apartment rental in singapore, I and my husband are planning to live in Johor Bahru while still work in Singapore.

We are both indonesian citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents.

My question is, would it be ok with the malaysian immigration if my husband go in and out of Johor Bahru in a daily basis to work in Singapore??

Thank you.

Hihi,

How's life living in JB and working in Singapore. Would like to hear your experience.

I am also thinking of staying in JB. Hope to find out more info from you all.

My question is:

1) Where will be a better place to live if not driving? (first link or 2nd link)

2) Which Taman has more Singaporean living? (hee... like Rashida I also like to live around Singaporean)

4) Are you all living in gated and guarded area?

5) How much is the rental for a 4 bedroom, with garden now?

6) Can we find a house to rent on our own or must go through agent?

7) Any good JB agent to recommend? How much do they charge normally?

Thanks very much for you info.
happy.gif

Hi

I have a 2 story house at Taman Gaya to rent from there to woodland custom is about 15mins~20mins driving time. total have 5 bedrooms+ 1 living area + 1 dining area+ 1 store room + wet kitchen and dry kitchen. can park 2 cars. nearby have a lot of food stall and shop very convenient. security service provided at my area which is RM50/month

rental: RM900/month

Interested party please email to [email protected]

Thank you.

HI,

There are a few area in JB to rent which are safe with 24hr guard.I hve some frens and relatives renting and even bought houses in JB .They are bandar dato onn,setia tropika,taman seri austin,and adda heights.

Hi all, anyone here had sent their kids to cherie hearts international either to bukit indah branch or sutera utama branch? vare to share info here or pm me. Either where can i get more review from.?

Hb, me and both our kids (1.5yo and 3yo) will be moving to JB in about 1-2months time.. I don't have license yet so convenience is very important to us.. We have paid deposit for the rental of an apartment just behind Tebrau Jusco and can't wait to collect keys and move in!

Will withdraw my girl from childcare here too.. The apartment feels like a HDB but with key card system and security, plus private parking lot.. And Jusco is just across a carpark (can go through underground carpark as shelter!).. It's called Tebrau City Residence.. From what we gather, quite a lot of Singaporeans/SG PRs buy or rent there.. We met a lot of local friendly neighbors when we went to view few times too..

Actually, we intend to buy the terrace house from behind that area (Plenitude) but we can only purchase in march and the house will only be ready in 2014.. Hence, we rent apartment first, for 2yrs..

Any mummies know when should I enroll my girl into sch? Is K2 compulsory or only from Primary 1?

Appreciate any feedbacks!

Pearly,
Kindergarten is not compulsory in Singapore.
However, you need to ensure that your kids can read very well in English before entering P1, otherwise they will suffer.

I heard the crime rate in JB is very high ? Anyone worried about crime ?

Hi jensze,
Our main reason is because we want to own a house in JB so we can retire back there in future.. But we don't want to buy at a later age for fear of not being able to get full 30 or 35yrs loan.. Meanwhile, we intend to earn a bit off our home rental here and save for our kids.. I'm not working so it's ok for me to take care of our kids.. My hubby works 3-4days a week and he works night shift so he will seldom encounter jam..

I think we got bored of living in SG where it's so crowded everywhere, day in day out.. Same places, same food, all very very expensive.. Even our carpark also give us problem.. We buy season parking but it's always full.. Well, it's all the little things added up.. And we will get a nanny there.. It's cheaper than childcare/nanny here and more flexible as compared to childcare..

Basically, it's all about the conversion rate & space that lured us there.. SG is overcrowded.. Drive expensive, take cab also expensive.. Taking public transport with young kids is a major headache and not cheap as well..

saffron,
Yes, I do know of that.. My hb's family side all live in JB, although we're not moving to right beside them.. xD We decided to purchase a slightly higher priced terrace (still affordable using SGD) in a guarded area.. The reason we chose there is cos it seems to be highly populated by Singaporeans.. And the bungalows and semi-Ds are way more posh and expensive then our terrace.. So we won't be targeted anyway, if ppl wanna rob us.. Haha.. J/k..

If u're free, u should go to Tebrau Jusco shop shop, walk walk.. Drive around that vicinity.. It's basically just a big loop and u'll end up at Jusco again anyway.. The developer is Plenitude.. The shop houses behind Jusco also looks very singaporean standard.. Out of so many areas in JB that I've seen, Tebrau is the best.. Not the cheapest but the best.. A lot of people recommend Bukit Indah but we still prefer Tebrau, where everything is within reach (walking distance is a luxury in JB).. It's much less cluttered but still a very busy and lively area.. The apartment where we are renting has lots of kids and family living there.. That's a good sign..
happy.gif

For the entry to Primary sch, that means they will have entrance exam? Or what u mean by they need to master basic english? It'll be ok for them to catch up right?

Pearly,
Primary schools in Singapore do not have entrance exams. However, kids are expected to be able to read and understand passages of about 100 words in English when they enter P1. If your child cannot read before entering P1, some schools may ask you to send your child back to kindergarten, or your kids will end up at the bottom of the class. Teachers regularly rank kids for every test they take. That is why many kids attend tuition classes and some even attend 2 kindergartens.

Oic.. That means I will have to home school them..

When u say they may send my child back to kindergarten, does that mean that she will start Pri 1 at a later age?

Sorry for my many questions.. Greatly appreciate the answers!

Anyone hired maid in JB? I noticed Amirah has a maid but I wonder if she's still active in this forum.. Can't PM her too..

Anyone else got a maid in JB?

Hi pearly, have you checkout the childcare there? My hubby Had intention of moving in to stay. So far only went to one of the childcare open by their local. However not to my standard. I still trying to look for one there. Either bukit indah or tebrau area.

jensze,
Haven't.. I don't really wanna place them in childcare there cause it will be very restrictive on our timing, especially if we're in and out of sg (custom jam).. Would prefer nanny as the timing is more flexible..

Which area are u looking at? When do u intend to move? Buying or renting? xD If u move to Tebrau, maybe we can meet up for coffee sometimes.. haha.. Do u work? I'm a SAHM..
happy.gif

I'm working full time. I know nanny there is cheaper than dingapore. But if u sre sahm, you do not need nanny. I dun like nanny cos, most of the time the child will be watching tv unless meet a good one..to be nanny just like another grandparents looking after grandchildren. Oh, will be staying with my in laws. They bought a unit there. Your hubby working shift work then day time you in Malaysia? We are looking for one. I like to shopat tebrau compared to bukit indah jusco.

I'm a SAHM but HB and I need our ME time.. Meanwhile, I need to learn driving.. We have no ILs or parents help at all.. So with no one to help look after the kids, I can't do anything.. And it'll be good if HB and I decide to go for a short trip somewhere.. At least got someone to help take care of the kids mah.. Ya, got grandparents to help look after is really good.. We do not have that luxury..
happy.gif

HB works night shift.. So at night will be alone with kids loh.. Quite used to it here.. But then again, we rent out rooms here so it's quite "re nao".. Duno can adapt well to such a big empty house over there onot.. Haha..

Where your ILs stay? Bukit Indah side?

I also prefer Tebrau.. Less cluttered and less jam.. We went to "tour" Bukit Indah.. Aiyo, the jam is horrible! And everywhere must drive.. We still love our Tebrau.. Haha.. So will u be buying your own home there?

When do u intend to move?

Hi, though will be staying with in laws, but they are not helping to look after.so day time my son will still go childcare. Maybe in another 1-2 mths time will move in. Flat here will rent out so can earn more money.
They staying at indah side.most likely will buy indah side... my hubby like there. He find tebrau not as safe as indah. Guess that's just very individual. I'm fine with either. But shopping wise definitely tebrau..

Oic! U drive? If drive, then easier.. Hehe.. The childcare there is 7-7 too? Then u work in sg? Can reach in time to fetch?

I'll be moving next month.. Have no idea where to start packing! Lol.. Ya, rent out our house here can earn more money.. And also i find sg dun have much quality life, especially for family.. Maybe we can meet at tebrau jusco after we move..
happy.gif

I dun drive. My license is under the cupboard. Hahaha.. after work got to fetch him. If I can't then will ask my mother to fetch him then pick him up later. Ya, we can meet up after move in. Keep in touch.

I see.. But at least u got license! Haha.. I need to get mine fast..

Which part of process are u at now? I'm currently hoping someone rents my place asap.. Already secured a rental apartment in JB.. Will be moving in mid-late oct.. xD Waiting to withdraw my girl from childcare, 31st oct would be her last day le.. Quite sad actually, cos she likes her school and friends..
sad.gif

Haha... I'm at planning stage. I haven't even started packing...thought your room had been rented out??? I dunno whether to move in totally or just partial. Cos I will not be renting out my whole house. Prob just 2 rooms. Keeping one room for myself. There will be times where I need to work late n might not go back Malaysia. I had tried for one week in out everyday. Its very tired.. I also worried I can't adapt to it in long term. Moving in to stay can help us to lower down our expenses...

Ya, I've been renting out both room in the past 4years.. Currently 1 tenant has just shifted out a month ago.. So only 1 room is being rented out.. Once someone takes over the whole house, they will be moving, unless new tenant willing to take 2+1 or sublet to them lor..

Rent out 2+1 or whole house is more worth it as we won't need the hall even if we want to take back 1 room.. Can fetch higher rent mah..U work office hours? I can understand the difficulty of traveling..

We gotta start packing soon le.. But going to Genting in early Oct.. So will move after we get back lor.. Duno where to get boxes.. Any idea?
happy.gif

Hi Pearly,

I am also a SAHM to a young child.

We are planning to shift to JB. Any good recommendation for houses around your area. How much is your rental? We have been 'shopping' for house for purchase in JB but yet to look for one to rent. We felt it may be good to shift in now for a 'test run'.

As for SG's education system, K2 education is actually complusory in SG. What I understand is that it is not necessary for Singaporean kid to attend school in SG if they live overseas (including JB). This means that our kids can 'skip' school from kindergarten all the way to primary school. This is one of the many reasons why I was thinking to homeschool my child till she is 12 if I live in JB.

Hi SAHM,
I highly recommend Tebrau area for a start.. The area around Jusco.. We rented an apartment but will start in mid Oct.. It's the grey/white condo directly behind the shopping centre with shop houses just downstairs.. And there's security guard, keycard access, gantry carpark.. Worth a look..

Rental is considered very high in msia but it's well worth it to us.. We rent at RM1400 (which is abt SGD560) but has 4 aircon units, 3bedrooms, 2 water heaters in both bathrooms.. Layout is nice also.. We're the first tenant to stay.. U may wish to call agent before u decide to rent.. The agents i met up were quite nice.. They were not those hardsell type.. I would encourage u to call for some viewing.. And most of these apartments are very new and untenanted before.. So it's very clean.. But be prepared to fork out quite a big sum of cash initially cos need to pay 2mth deposit, 1mth advanced rental, 0.5mth utility deposit, 0.5mth agent fee & stamp duty.. But i believe it will even out when we rent out our hdb here and even have more than enough to furnish and save..
happy.gif

I'm considering sending my kids to english based enrichment classes but i must check out the shop houses near me cos i don't drive.. Prolly those few hours type? Haven't decide yet.. Cos my girl has been attending childcare since 17mos.. I'm afraid she will miss her school life & of course i hope her brain will continue to work academically..

Back