Any SAHMs in Serangoon Nth/ Serangoon/ Hougang

jocee

Hello, I became a SAHM recently and keen on meeting up with other SAHMs. Getting a little bored at home
happy.gif
My son is 2 and half years old.

Helo... I'm Serangoon North.. I have been searching for this thread for long time but it is not as active as others.

I'm a FTWM with 2 gals of 4 and 2 and half years old.

Hi Jande,

Nice to hear from you ... was searching for this thread as well but can't seem to find anyone staying in this area.

Which part of Serangoon North do you stay at? I'm at Ave 1. The age gap of your gals are pretty close. How do you cope
happy.gif

Planning to have the second kid but not sure if I can manage cos my son is very active & strong-willed.

I'm staying at Ave 4. I feel that you will naturally able to take care of 2 bbies. It is so called "ma ma is wei da de". I will always try to make them busy like asking them to do all sorts of things. This not only train them, also make them more discipline. Hehe..

It is good to have a age gap close children rather than far age gap. Their relationship is closer and can let to share alot of things.

Just like old folks or others said, if you really wanna to have another kid, it is good to have a closer age so that you have the energy to take care of them in one go and not restart everything from the start again after so many years. this is more tiring.

Hi Gals,
I was so happy when I saw Sgn nth mommies thread. I am putting up at ave 1 and a SAHM with 2kids, 2.5yo and 1 yo. Dont mind meeting up during weekdays...

Hi, so glad I've found this thread. I'm sahm staying at serangoon ave 3. I've a 5 yr old son and 22 mths old daughter. Really hope to meet up on weekdays for my girl to interact with others.

Hello mummies,

A pleasant surprise to hear from all of u. I started this thread some time back and didn't get much response. So it's great to "suddenly" hear from mummies staying around this area.

Cocoon, I stay at Serangoon North Ave 1. Tiffany & Clarine, I don't mind meeting up on weekdays too. Perhaps we could meet at a nearby playground for a start? I don't mind travelling a little further like Bishan Park. Any suggestions?

Any other mummies interested in meeting up on weekdays?

Hi Mummies,

I'm testing response here. I would like to start a playgroup at my place in Hougang Ave 8, preferrably on weekday afternoons.

My most preferred timing is Tuesdays, 1 - 3 pm, but day and timing are negotiable.

Any mummies interested?

I don't mind meeting on weekdays but my timing is 11.30 - 2.30pm cos gotta go back when my boy return from school. if you guys don't mind, I'll go off earlier while you all continue.

My girl is very active so if meet at playground, I don't think I've the time to chat with anyone....hahahha....

Clarinegoh: So you are keen on the playgroup? Ok I'll keep you informed if there are more responses.

I also prefer to meet at homes that's why I'm opening my home for the playgroup, cos' it's quite difficult for me to go out alone, having to lug along a toddler, a baby, a bag and the pram, and take public transport.

Haha...sometimes I wish I were an octopus.

Hi bethmon

I am interested. I am a SAHM with a 2 years old son staying in hougang street 22. Sometimes really a bit bored at home. I can only join earlier as my son sleeps in the afternoon.

Hi blueblue and clarinegoh,

That's great! We can form a small playdate now, with just the 3 of us.

Maybe we can meet on 11 Nov (Tue) at my place at 12.30pm? My girl finishes school at 12, so hopefully she'd have finished her lunch by then.

If you can make it, please pm me for my address.

The other mummies, please join us too if you can make it. just send me a pm!

Hi Bethmom,

Yes already pm u.
btw, my girl is not into sharing so hope we won't cause any trouble for you guys.....kekeke...

clarinegoh, blueblue: don't worry lah. at this age, they are all egocentric. don't know how to share. mine also. It's through playing w other children that they learn mah.

gladys: ya, feel free to join us. give me a pm and leave me your contact no. We'll keep in touch

Bethmom & Blueblue

Hey,so sorry, I can't make it to our playdate on 11 Nov cos I forgot that my sister is going for operation, I need to accompany her throughout....
You guys wanna go ahead first and we'll meet up again? Or wanna wait for me? Sorry for the last minute...me la so blur blur....paiseh....

If meet up during school holidays period, i'll have to bring along my elder boy but at least we could meet anytime cos no need to fetch him to school...

Blueblue and Clarinegoh: We've 2 more mums, Jocee, and gladysjoey, joining us, so i suggest we'll carry on so long as there are at least 3 mummies. you can join us next time, clarinegoh!

Bethmom
That's great,at least I don't feel so guilty for not joining....heehee.....you guys have fun! Let me know your next gathering ya!

Hello all mummies in this thread.... don't mind me asking at the same thread where you are sending your toddlers to childcare or kindergarten? I'll be shifing to Serangoon Nth Ave 4 after CNY next year and is totally new to Serangoon Nth area. I have a 2.5yo daughter and am thinking of putting her in either CCC or kindergarten. Sigh... actually in great dilemma as I currently have a domestic helper to help look after my daughter when we're not hm however, we were also thinking of sending daughter to CCC as she can pick up more things there. If mummies can share your views and at the same time tell me where you are sending your kids to school and price would help me a great deal.

and yes, when I've settled down in this new neighbourhood, we can meet up too
happy.gif

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to Serangoon North Ave 4. Which blk are you staying? I'm also Serangoon North Ave 4 and my gals are attending Catholic Kindergarten next year.

Information from my neighbour that this kindergarten is good. But I'm still waiting and hoping that parents from this kindergarten gives me more information or feedbacks on it.

Hi Jande,

Am moving to block 535, Rosyth is just downstairs (another good reason why I bought this place but I heard it's really difficult to get in
happy.gif
) anyway, not to digress further, which block are you staying and where is Catholic Kindergarten? How many hrs lesson they teaching and how much is that? Like I said I'm still in a terrible dilemma as to send my gal to ccc or kindergarten... sigh.... anyway, I'll prob check out both.

hey, thanks for replying to my query
happy.gif

I'm staying in 525. ya... my neighbour cant get into rosyth even though we are staying near, since your gal is only 2.5, you should be a parent volunteer beginning of next year to have a better chance to get into it.

Catholic kindergarten is at Flower road, just behind kovan melody. it is a 3 hrs programmes. if i'm not wrong, the price is S$380/per term for pre-nursery, materials is about S$270/per year. At the moment i feel that the children there are having a happy childhood beside academics when i went for registeration. And i hope that my kids not only learning but also having the chance to enjoy their childhood life.

If you are interested, try to go and register early coz what I know that the vaancies full up very fast. Or you may call up and check it out.

ok Jande, will check that out. I've done some homework in the website and notice that Joewe preschool and playhse is pretty popular and the super PLUS point is they are very near our premises. The CCC is at blk 553, within walking distance... have you heard abt this school before?

or have any mummy place their kids there? any feedback to share?

regarding the voluntery work in rosyth? Hard lar... cos I'm a working mother... won't have much time to volunteer myself. Besides, i heard when a school had reached a certain level of 'popularity' no amount of volunteer work or donation can help anymore. All depends on our kids destiny with the school... guess the best I can do for her is to get closer to the good school
happy.gif
rest is really up to her luck liao.. but I keep telling myself so as not to stress myself too much that I could also try to give her the best enrichment I could that's within my means and it should equip her well in whichever school she goes to in future.

hi, i'm at Serangoon North with a 3yo son :> would love to join in some activities from time to time too.

Nikki,

So far i have not heard about this school from my neighbours. Is it possible for you to let me know how this school and fees like?

I will try to search on website and feedbacks on it.

Hi Jande,

Joewe Preschool is located at Blk 540. Think thay call the preschool Flexi hours childcare at SGD210 (thereabout) after government subsidies.

anyway, I've visited the place and don't quite like the place. Look rather messy and the administrator is not able to provide more information regarding their 3-4hrs flexi care session. They gave the impression like they're more focused on childcare then teaching the kids.

anyway, I've visited St Paul's church Kindergarten and think not too bad. I heard Zion kindergarten in Serangoon Gardens is not too bad too... will prob check that one out.

Hi Nikki,

There is a kindergarten which is popular too is Yio Chu Kang Chapel Kindergarten. It is just oppsite of the Mosque. But the fees are high, you can check it out too.

So far, I only know that Catholic Kindergarten and Yio Chu Kang Chapel Kindergarten are popular over there.

If you have more information on other kindergartens, kindly let me know too.

Thanks in advance

Hi mummies,

Would like to know any mummies send their kids to A & J Childcare @ hougang Ave 8 ?Need some feedback. Thanks!

Hi Mummies

I am staying at Sgoon North Ave 4 and I have a 12 mth old boy.

Re: Playgrp

Catholic Kindergarten is a very popular and alot of ppl wants to get in there but waiting list is also very long queue.

Talent Plus Educare Pte Ltd
Serangoon Blk 512 Serangoon North

Hougang Blk 601 Hougang Ave 6

Any idea whether it is gd?

Hi Mummies

I am putting up at Sgn Nth Ave 1, has a son going on 3 and a girl, 16mths.

Vine_ Gal,
If not wrong, Talent Plus is now at The Serangoon CC. You planning to send your 12mth old boy to playgroup?

btw, where is Catholic Kindergarten?

Hi Tiffany

Talent Plus at The Sgoon CC? Ok shall find out more information over there.

Yes, I intend to sent my son to playgroup at least he can play and learn as well as interactive with his peers.

Catholic Kindergarten is somewhere near to Kovan Mrt. Behind Kovan Melody Condo. Lots of raves from there but long waiting list in order to enrol in. My MIL ferry those kiddos studying at CK to school!

Hi all,

I'm at Hougang and my boy is attending pre-N at Catholic Kindy and he absolutely loves it since day 1. I was looking for a Catholic education for my boy and was deciding between Catholic Kindy and Nativity Church Kindy and eventually decided on the former tho it's further away from my home. Pretty much a leap of faith cos I can't get much reviews on the school and there's no website either.

Catholic Kindy has a lovely open-air playground, big enough for the kids to run around freely. The kids do not get confined and cooped up in just their own classroom but they do move around the school a fair bit for music in the music room on the upper floor, the TV room, etc. The principal is a nice lady who welcomes the kids at the gates every other day. The teachers are very very patient with the kids and I totally salute them. When my boy had a fall and bumped his head, they called me up at the end of the class to inform me. They even call me up again later in the afternoon to check if he's ok. Tho it's been a month and there are still one or two crying kids in the class, the teachers do not leave the kids alone to cry (my colleague told me her niece is still crying at playgroup and her teachers just leave her alone). When they can't handle (cos they need to start on the lessons proper... it's been a month already!), they will get additional help from the music teacher. I can't give comments on the curriculum and stuff, whether there's more sit down writing + worksheets, etc, since my boy is only attending pre-N.

The school has no aircon and that's a plus to me. The building may be a bit on the old side, but that's not a concern either.

Catholic Kindy is established in 1969 by The Marist Brothers. The Marist Brothers is a Catholic teaching order dedicated to the Christian education of children and young people. Tho the kindy's daily operations is now run by lay people, the supervisor is a Marist Brother. With a school steeped in such rich traditions, I'm sure I can entrust my boy to them and be assured that they will do their part in imparting the correct moral and spiritual values for character development, which I feel is more important at this very young age than things like learning how to count from 1 to 100 and being able to recite from A to Z.

It's been a month and I'm happy to say that the kindy has given my boy a very positive experience. It's very heartening when his chinese teacher told me we shldnt be too hard on the kids when they misbehave, to remind but not to scold or nag, cos they are still too young to understand that their actions can hv negative impact. If they begin to feel that there's so much restrictions and NOs in school, they will begin to dislike it.

Btw, I think their registration for 2010 will be sometime in March. So do look out for it.

Hi Vader,

Yes, i fully agree with you on Catholic Kindergarten.

My gal is currently attending the Pre-N classes as well, which session is ur child in ?
Mine is in Daisy B.

Hi Gracious Wife,

Good to hear that your gal is attending Pre-N at Catholic Kindergarten too.
happy.gif
My boy is in Hibiscus A.

He was originally slated for Daisy B cos there's no more 8am vacancies left by the time I registered (I missed the Catholic children phase). I requested to be placed on the waiting list for the 8am slot, and they eventually called to inform that they're thinking of starting a new 8am class (Hibiscus) and so I went for that one. What a blessing! It's definitely more convenient cos I can bring my boy to school before I go to work every morning. He's an early riser anyway. Do you bring your girl to and from school? My boy takes the school bus back to my mom's place.

I'm waiting for the registration for 2010 to start cos am registering my 2 godsons (Pre-N and K1 levels) on behalf of their mum cos the family is currently residing in HK and won't be back until 2010. Hoping and praying to get good timeslots for the 2 boys.

Hi Vine_Gal,

Your MIL ferries the pre-N kids or the older kids? Is it Bus No 1? If pre-N, then she'll know my boy. :D

Hi mummies,

I've finally just settled in 535 S'goon Nth Ave 4. My daughter is currently attending Tots Hse at blk 536 and she seems to enjoy it well there. She used to be in Talent Plus and standard for both seems the same. Only difference is the material. Talent Plus used to give loose worksheets and parents would have to file their work whereas Tots Hse has books which are easier to keep. Think the fees are pretty similar.

Come next year I'm thinking of putting her at St Vincent De Paul in Blk 536 too, they have Nursery and K1, K2. Has any mummies have any feedback on this school? This is the best option considering the distance though I like to place her in Catholic Kindy as well. BTW, St Vinc de Paul is also a catholic school.. I suppose the standard should be similar?

Any feedbacks mummies?

Hi mummies,

Seems like alot of kids around this area are eyeing for Catholic Kindergarten.

My gals are studying there too and they are in Nursery and K1 now. I also agree with what Darth Vader mentioned above. My gals really like it and every morning they are looking forward for the day.

Back