Any reviews on PEM Confinement Agency?

KatTea

Dear ladies,

I'm deciding between getting a CL through the agency or through my friend's recommendation.

Currently the charges is about the same (2.4k) and the line of duties are similar as well. Anyone has engaged your CL through PEM before? My friend had a horrible experience with hers last year, however, the only good thing is if you doesn't like your CL, you can change.... I'm just not too sure which one I should go with.

Any help/advise is much appreciated :)

I just finished confinement using PEM. Request for experience and tell them yr requirement like age etc..
My CL was v.experience and nice. Even baby's PD say she clean bb's umbilcord very clean.

My friend took with PEM too and she said the service is not good, thus not recommended.

Anyway it's all luck, just like maid agency i suppose.

Hi everyone, just sharing my experience with PEM thus far- I wrote in to enquire about their confinement nanny packages, only to find myself bombarded with phone calls by this lady named "hui" who, at the very first point of my enquiry, already wanted me to lock down a date for their consultant to meet me to finalize the arrangement. I told her that I had to discuss further with my husband and family members since we are engaging an "outsider" to live in our home (this is my first child) and we have never experienced this before and even told her the date i will get back to her. The days after that was just simply overwhelming. Despite already telling her I will get back to her by a certain date, she made calls after calls during the time when I was at work just to "check with me" to lock down a date to meet with the consultant (and at my house some more). Definitely not a good first time impression at all.. Now having second thoughts on getting a nanny from their agency. But it seems like they have quite a lot of good reviews of their confinement nannies on facebook?

Agreed, they seem quite pushy and want you to place a deposit asap. Quite irritating to receive their calls everyday but i think i will eventually give them a try since they offer the option to change. Think hiring CLs is like hiring maids, who you meet depends on luck.

I went through PEM to get a CL. Currently doing my confinement. We didn't specify any CL as all those we wanted are not available. We are fine with a randomly assigned CL since PEM promises 2 free replacement. So far we are satisfied with our CL.
Agree that the sales staff are all very pushy. On my first call to enquire about the price, she also made me tie down a date for their sales staff to come down and do the admin work. I was also taken aback then. Then the salesman who came down was equally pushy- have to decide on the spot whether to take their herbal package and post natal massage as once he stepped out, we will no longer be eligible for the special price for members. We were pretty pissed off by that as we have signed a package for CL, why are we not a member anymore once he stepped out? We didn't take the herbal package and post natal massage in the end.
There was a separate call from PEM after that to get feedback of our experience. We voiced our displeasure at the "pushiest" of their staff. But I guessed PEM probably wanted their staff to be pushy thus I still see feedback like the above ...

I also had very bad experience with the sales staff and CL from PEM. First was the pushy sales staff whom wanted your commitment even on your first enquiry. I fallen out the first staff and think of dropping off getting the CL. However, my gynea told me that my bb is breech and confirmed that requires a c-section. I called up the agency again, this time, a different sales staff attended me. Initially, She told me that there isn't any experience CL available during my EDD period( end Mar'16) and that all has been booked. The very next day, the sales staff called and told me that she has got a CL available for me. Luckily, i committed a 2 weeks contract instead of a month. The cl that they assigned to me really horrible. As this is my third child, i definitely got my way of taking my newborn. She claimed that she has 6 yrs of experience and insisted her way of taking care the newborn. When i wrapped her up like what she was in hospital. She will removed the little bean spout pillow on her stomach and unwrapped her and told me that nobody is doing this nowaday. She always rushed thing through and wanted to get it done asap so that she can play with her phone. Her cooking was suck too. What worst was she boiled my costly herbal soup with pieces of plastic sheet in it and had been broil for 1 to 2 hrs. She mopped my 5 rm flat within 15mins with 1 hand and never rinse the mop before cleaning another area. She refused to sleep on the mattress instead she lie on the floor and told me that it's more cooling to sleep in that way. I told her i can on the air-con as the weather was pretty hot during that period. She told me that if i on it, she will sleep in the living room instead as she cannot take it. She will come in only when my bb need to be feed. She even told me that she has been idling at her hometown for 2months without any assignment. On the 5th day morning, she told me that she is falling sick and asked me to inform my agent to sent a replacement. It was a sunday i remembered. She immediately went to shower and got herself changed and insisted to go to the agency to collect her passport. That was even before 8 am when the agency only open at 9am. She didn't even wait for me to inform the agency and went off after both of us agreed on the amount of the assignment fee. After this encounter , i did not neg. for a replacement even i am entitled to. Instead of having good rest, i got more issue to handle. My bb of 3 month got difficulties of getting to sleep as she startled easily and in turn getting very cranky and difficult to handle. :(

Agree that PEM sales staff by the name of hui is way too pushy. The house visit consultant is like rushing through the contract and very pushy too with the herbal package n massage package. sometimes they don't understand that the more you push, the more it annoys the customers.

I booked a CL through PEM. Agree that their sales staff are very pushy. When I emailed to enquire on rates, a girl immediately called me back and insisted on arranging for a sales consultant to meet me at my place on the very same day. Explained that I needed my husband to sit down too and he's out of town and she kept bugging me to lock in a date either that day or the next. She even said that the discounted price is only valid till tomorrow and thereafter the price will increase. Told her it's ok and I will call back as and when I wish to meet because I really need to get my husband involved and if it means an increase of $300, so be it. After which, I received an email from them few days later saying they are fully booked. I replied to the email saying I was about to contact them for an appointment but it's ok since they are fully booked and I will look elsewhere. The girl replied immediately that someone cancelled their booking and they have one last slot for me. Sounds a little BS but I went ahead to make an appointment coz I couldn't get another affordable agency as they are all fully booked.

One thing I don't understand their inflexibility to only meet at a house or void deck. I tried to arrange to meet in a mall's Starbucks but was told that they don't do mall meetups. Explained that we do not need them to buy us any drink or whatsoever but just that it will be more convenient for us as it is near our work places and we need not rush home for the meeting. Nevertheless, they refused and we had to compromise to do it at a void deck.

Sales consultant is also very pushy to sell us the herbal and massage packages. Told him we do not need both as we are getting our own. He persistently insist that we get the herbal package as a backup since it is refundable and went ahead to issue an invoice without our consent. We paid for it anyway since it is refundable.

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that the CL will be good!

We had a really good nanny called Jin Jie 金姐 from PEM agency.

Like many others, we were worried about getting a CL from agency after reading some bad reviews. But it was the CNY period so we didn't want to risk having freelance CLs cancelling on us last minute.

So anyway we got a CL through PEM and I agree the sales rep didn't impress me. The good thing, though, was being able to describe our needs which were pretty simple, mainly to take care of mom and can cook well, since we wanted to take care of baby ourselves.

Turns out our CL could cook well, takes care of mom, baby and even volunteers to help with other chores. She was very hardworking.

We couldn't have asked for a better CL. We can't speak for the agency as a whole, but 90% recommendation for our CL.

PM if you are keen to find out her code.

(Note: we corrected to 90% as some may find that she eats too much and cooks too much - basically use a lot of ingredients. We personally don't mind, but if you do then she is probably not for you)

Hi everyone, after reading your reviews, I decided to email PEM, Thomson and JIA to compare their rates last week. Pushy is not a bad thing... PEM called me back within the same day. Until now, Thomson and JIA have not even replied my email. :(

Anyway the lady Hui wanted me to commit a date to sign the contract. I lied that I'm going on a holiday and can only meet up a week later (I wanted to have time to meet Thomson and JIA first). Maybe you can use the same excuse too :) She didn't call me everyday after that... Just a reminder call about our appt the day before,
Which I think is a courtesy business move.

Maybe they know they are very pushy... My sales consultant Matthew was ok. We asked quite a few questions and I had him repeat a few stuff as I was feeling very tired and couldn't remember anything he said for a few minutes. He was patient and even gave us a few minutes privately to discuss.

Just to share their rates
CL during CNY: $3550
Tcm herbal soup package: $320
7 post-natal massage: $688 (+1 free upon signup, and another +1 free if you write a FB review after your confinement)

I went to the suntecbaby fair to check out post natal massage rates and I found that PEM's
Package is not bad at all. If you include the 2 free sessions, it is actually the cheapest. Plus there are no hidden costs. Many massage places do not include transport in their package and it can be up to $20 each time they go your house! Lastly, their masseurs are also trained and certified so I don't see the harm.

Initially, I decided to sign everything with PEM because it was convenient during the CNY period. But I'm glad that the whole contract signing experience was not pushy and was quite pleasant actually. And after going to the baby fair, I'm happy I got quite a good deal with PEM! Will write another review after my confinement next year! :)

Hi all,

I am a mummy myself and has the same worry as u all do. I always worry whether if the confinement nanny is experience anot, will she take good care of baby, need to be on monitoring, is she lazy etc etc...

I had just finish my confinement and must say that my cl is still as good. This is my 2nd child, and I am engaging her for a 2nd time after 6yrs.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way related to her. just thought that since I hv a good confinement nanny why not share with the mummies here who want to do a good confinement.

I have very good impression of her because of the following:-

1. She take good care of my baby 24/7.
2. She will inform me of what can eat n can't and also will remind me what can do and cannot.
Sometimes if I hv queries, I will ask her and she will advise me. But based on mutual understanding that since I engage cl then I will listen to her advise and also we are open for discussion if any situation corps up (eg different expectations n way of handling babies)
3. She will help me save $$ when doing marketing and buying herbs in sense that she will not spend on the most expensive stuff with no value to mummy.
4. She is a great cook and I can request for food I like and she will cook it in confinement method. (Sometime my mum n relative will drop by n they will pinch on the food and all comment nice).
5. On my 1st week visit to pd, pd already comment that my baby has already increase in weight and is heavier than birth weight. (Baby wt normally drops few days after delivery). PD told me that my baby is in good hands and ask me not to worry.
6. My baby has slight jaundice n she will use her traditional method to help reduce which will be cleared before 2nd visit to pd.
7. She cooks for my family n keeps the area clean to where the baby goes.
8. She helps to wash baby n my clothes.
9. She talks and entertain my baby and my baby listens to her. (U may not believe but she really has a way with baby and that is the reason I engage her service 2nd time on private basis.

Mummies if u are interested and would like to find out more, you may pm me for her details.

Wish and hope all have a smooth n safe delivery.

Hi all,

I am a mummy myself and has the same worry as u all do. I always worry whether if the confinement nanny is experience anot, will she take good care of baby, need to be on monitoring, is she lazy etc etc...

I had just finish my confinement and must say that my cl is still as good. This is my 2nd child, and I am engaging her for a 2nd time after 6yrs.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way related to her. just thought that since I hv a good confinement nanny why not share with the mummies here who want to do a good confinement.

2. She will inform me of what can eat n can't and also will remind me what can do and cannot.
Sometimes if I hv queries, I will ask her and she will advise me. But based on mutual understanding that since I engage cl then I will listen to her advise and also we are open for discussion if any situation corps up (eg different expectations n way of handling babies)
3. She will help me save $$ when doing marketing and buying herbs in sense that she will not spend on the most expensive stuff with no value to mummy.
4. She is a great cook and I can request for food I like and she will cook it in confinement method. (Sometime my mum n relative will drop by n they will pinch on the food and all comment nice).
5. On my 1st week visit to pd, pd already comment that my baby has already increase in weight and is heavier than birth weight. (Baby wt normally drops few days after delivery). PD told me that my baby is in good hands and ask me not to worry.
6. My baby has slight jaundice n she will use her traditional method to help reduce which will be cleared before 2nd visit to pd.
9. She talks and entertain my baby and my baby listens to her. (U may not believe but she really has a way with baby and that is the reason I engage her service 2nd time on private basis.

Mummies if u are interested and would like to find out more, you may pm me for her details.

Hi,
could you please share with me her contact number?
Thanks!

Hi all,

hi, can i have her name and contact? also what is her charges like? need to engage one this Nov.

Hi all,

Hi! Is she local? can i have her contact info as well? :)

I am a dad. Posting on behalf of my wife but my point of view.

CEO = wife
Chairman = baby
Myself? Foreman only

A short history. The auntie we got from PEM is our 2nd during the confinement. We were not happy with the 1st one (Lee Swee Lin) due to some hygiene issues (did not clean baby's butt properly after pooping, did not clean the kitchen after cooking) and lack of variety in food. But she was very attentive to the baby. We did not expect the 2nd auntie to be worse.

Here is my long review. 2nd auntie's name is Ang Chu Ley.

Hygiene (Cooking)
Cleaned up after cooking. All that we asked for since we have moved to a new house and CEO did not even use the stove yet.
No complaints over food preparation hygiene.

Food
More variety over the previous one. I see 5 bean porridge, steamed fish, sesame oil chicken, pork and pork innards. Different types of soup also started appearing. No complaints.

Hygiene (Baby)
No complaints. Reasonably ok.

Attitude (Taking care of baby)
Not very attentive to baby. On an almost daily basis, in the evenings, Chairman would fuss and cry. She tried to carry him but always fail to make him sleep even after 15 mins. I pity my baby not pity her. There were a few times I took over, carried him and he slept in 5 mins.
Said she got spine problem so she cannot always carry baby. In my mind I thought: then you go n be a CL for what?

There are times my poor little baby was crying and she left him alone while she was doing other stuff.

I remember one morning waking up to Chairman crying. I heard her trying to coax baby. However, after awhile, I heard her coaxing baby and having sounds of food being cooked. I went out and saw that she was infront of the stove, coaxing baby verbally, left hand carrying ladle and right hand carrying baby. Talk about multitasking. Multi-tasking at its finest. Too dangerous!!!! Took over baby and coaxed him back to sleep in 5 minutes.

Attitude
Lousy.

Too busy over house moving. Forgot to give her start of work ang bao. She asked me about it everyday for 2 days in the morning before I went to work. My bad for forgetting to tell my wife during those mornings. Eventually we did give her same day she reminded me for the 2nd time. Best thing is, she mentioned $50 during one of her reminders.

Before she left, she told my wife $8 ang bao was too little. Is she a 3 years old kid celebrating CNY.

Treats this place like her own home and turns on the wireless router without asking. I know she would like to make calls home. I would appreciate if she had asked if she could turn it on herself. This is not Hotel Tenteram.

Demanded for a ride to the MRT. I still remember the exact order of the words she used:
Send me to the nearest train station since you are not going to work tomorrow. In my mind I was thinking My mom used to make the same request to me but at least she phrased it in form of question and added please. You are not even my mom and you give me this kind of attitude.
Of course I agreed on the spot. She is still taking care of my child and wife. She was holding my baby when she asked this question.
So yesterday, I purposely stayed up late, well past 3am. So that I can sleep in today. Told my wife to tell her that I was working so I slept in.
Today, she made comments like "Your husband still in bed. So late already. He should not have slept that late yesterday" I believed that was a veiled comment about sending her to the train station early.

She had requested to leave early. Or rather DEMANDED. Her reason? To escape causeway jam. Contract for last day was 12pm. Not 9am. She did not even ask if she could leave early.

My wife heard Chairman crying and did not hear the auntie's coaxing at about 9.30am. She went out to take a look. Lo and behold. Our empress was sitting in the living room, ready to leave while Chairman was alone in his cot crying.

Before she left, I had already woken up and laying on the bed listening to their conversation.
She said "Since your husband did not want to send me to train station, no choice la, never mind, I find my way there. Prev clients would give me money for taxi."

She commented that the start of work ang bao is only $8. Finds it too little and say previous clients would give her $20-$50. Well, thats what PEM told us to give either an empty angbao or $2. We gave 4x more than what her boss told us.

After receiving the end of work ang bao, she opened up in front of CEO and left. Not sure if she found it to be too little for her.

Before she left, she did not throw away her slippers. She told my wife to throw it away for her since the slippers were on the floor and someone was washing the floor.

Towards the tail end of her 2 weeks with us, whenever Chairman cry, she would question if he is fed enough. To a breastfeeding mother, that question is very damaging to morale.

Wanting to clarify matters, I called up PEM to ask them to contact me after the nanny has reached.

Credits to PEM. She did call us back with the HR manager.

When asked about the slipper, she denied telling my wife to clear it for her. At that point of time, there was a cleaner washing the floor, walking away from our unit towards the lift lobby. However, he was not a Chinese. She talked in Chinese. She claimed that she had told the cleaner to clear for her. We are not too sure if the cleaner knows she is talking to him as he has already walked away from our unit. And she is talking in Chinese to a non-Chinese. Not too sure if the cleaner understood her as well. She was looking at my wife when she said to throw for her.

The rubbish chute is by the lift lobby. Although the slippers were wet due to cleaning of the floor, not too sure why she cannot throw the slippers and come back into my house to wash her hands. We would not throw her luggage out despite the comments she made and she wanting to leave early.

Thereafter, we talked about money for marketing. She told us that we are very poor for not having money at home for her to do marketing, that we cannot even come out with $100, only $50.

Firstly would anyone in his sane mind put alot of cash at home? My wife was already at home for 2 weeks in this point in time. She had not gone out to draw money. As for me, I also had no cash at that point in time and told her I need to draw cash. No one would proclaim loudly that they have spare cash lying around in the house to a stranger. We had just moved in 2 weeks ago. Would anyone in the same situation put excessive cash at home?

Secondly, her remarks were uncalled for. Not having cash at home is not considered poor. Having her kind of attitude is considered poor.

Despite us telling her that the way she put across her request to give her a ride to the MRT to us was rude, she denied. She felt that at least she should be given a ride there. I would have gladly obliged if she had asked politely. At that point in time when she told (commanded) us to send her to train station, she was carrying our baby in her arms. I agreed to her request at that point in time. Not too sure what would happen if we rejected her.

We had contacted PEM regarding her start of work ang bao prior to her arrival as a replacement. (Note that there is a notification of voice recording for calls made over the phone) We were told to give either an empty angbao or $2 inside. Therefore, we decided to pack $8 inside. She said that we were stingy. She contacted her boss about it and her boss said that $8 was too little. Over the phone, she had claimed that my wife is a liar. Perhaps PEM can retrieve the voice recording to prove our point.

She had told us that a few agencies wanted to poach her. She felt PEM paid her very little. Therefore, I wonder if her lousy attitude towards us and her lack of interest in my baby would be due to a lack of financial incentive.

She had also claimed that we did not offer her any simple meal such as bread when she was with us. She did not tell us what she would like for a meal. Therefore, we did not know if she wanted anything or just ate what my wife had eaten. This particular comment struck a sour note with me.

My dad had celebrated his birthday during her stay with us. There was a slice of cake in the fridge. She told us that she had eaten the slice of cake so as to clear away space in the fridge. I had no objections and did not voice any displeasure. I had also told her to take any fruits from the fridge should she choose to do so.

I had bought a loaf of bread and left it on the dining table. She did not even touch that loaf of bread. I had thought being an adult, she would have asked my wife or me if she wanted it or just take the bread herself as it is just bread.

Like many others, we were worried about getting a CL from agency after reading some bad reviews. But it was the CNY period so we didn't want to risk having freelance CLs cancelling on us last minute.

So anyway we got a CL through PEM and I agree the sales rep didn't impress me. The good thing, though, was being able to describe our needs which were pretty simple, mainly to take care of mom and can cook well, since we wanted to take care of baby ourselves.

Turns out our CL could cook well, takes care of mom, baby and even volunteers to help with other chores. She was very hardworking.

We couldn't have asked for a better CL. We can't speak for the agency as a whole, but 90% recommendation for our CL.

(Note: we corrected to 90% as some may find that she eats too much and cooks too much - basically use a lot of ingredients. We personally don't mind, but if you do then she is probably not for you)

Hi Emolambfamily,

Could u share the cl code? Thanks!

Hi all,

Hi happimay,
Is your cl from PEM or private? May I have her contacts or nanny code? Thanks!

Hi all,

Hi Happimay,
can you PM me the nanny's contact or code number? I'm having some trouble PM-ing you.
Thanks so much!

Did my confinement with PEM a few months back. Poor after sales service (they are attentive up to the point you sign your contract and pay the deposit).

Nanny was generally ok, just a little stubborn on how things are to be done. Besides spoiling a few things in the kitchen and hiding them without telling us, cooking essentially the same 5 dishes for 1 month and not cleaning up well (i.e. after sweeping and mopping the floor there are still a lot of hair around), she's pretty good at handling the baby. I took care of the baby most of the time though, including at night. So nanny did mainly the changing of diapers and soothing the baby after diaper changing. (A couple of times we tried to wake the nanny at night to help with diaper changing, but it takes a LOT of loud knocks and loud calling at the door to wake her. This may be something new parents don't know if they leave the baby with the nanny from the first night. Not sure how much a nanny can tend to a baby at night if she's such a heavy sleeper.)

A note of advice to new mummies: if you can, do keep your baby with you at night. Yes it's tiring but at least you can tend to your baby (slight groans and noises) before he/she reaches the late stages of hunger (extremely loud crying).

Would not engage a nanny for my next confinement though. Nannies seriously do much less than domestic helpers at almost 6 times the cost.

The day before the last day she said that we need to send her to Woodlands the next morning or else must give her cab fare. This is despite our place being a 5 min walk from an MRT station.

Didn't argue with her, gave her 100+ in last angpow including cab fare.

My confinement lady is from PEM too. Name is Wendy. She is generally ok, attentive to baby, seems experienced. She cooks boring food. But food is not a priority to me. Overall, I would give her a 6.5/10.

However, I agree with MRSVCA on not hiring a CL for my next confinement period. A maid would probably be able to do more at a much lower cost. My CL has her own views on things and thus does not listen to my requests and often forgets to follow my instructions.

Can pm me her full name?

Hi all,

Hi, can pm me hiur CL contacts pls? Thanks.

Hi all,

Hi, can pm me ur CL contacts pls? Thanks

Hi, i will like to recommend 1 experience and responsible cl. She is good in cooking and taking care of baby n mummy. Pls contact her if you need one. Her nos 93797284 n malaysian nos 017 250 9785.

Hi all,

Hi Happyimay

May I have the CL code you recommended? Thank you!

I wouldn't recommend PEM too. Sent mine away after 13days as the auntie isn't a good cook (the food doesn't look like confinement food and she even served me uncooked fish. No pork trotter on day 12 too. Hardly any ginger or sesame oil detected in my dishes. She even asked me to buy bread for breakfast so she doesn't need to cook meesua for me), didn't really help out with any household chores , and overfeed baby (sometimes she even fed baby hourly at night when baby could be crying due to other reasons. she just want the easy way out so she can sleep instead of pacifying baby). No regret because the private CL I engaged after that was so much better. Seriously... PEM earns like $700 deposit and the CL doesn't earn much or is well trained.

I wouldn't recommend PEM too. Sent mine away after 13days as the auntie isn't a good cook (the food doesn't look like confinement food and she even served me uncooked fish. No pork trotter on day 12 too. Hardly any ginger or sesame oil detected in my dishes. She even asked me to buy bread for breakfast so she doesn't need to cook meesua for me), didn't really help out with any household chores , and overfeed baby (sometimes she even fed baby hourly at night when baby could be crying due to other reasons. she just want the easy way out so she can sleep instead of pacifying baby). No regret because the private CL I engaged after that was so much better. Seriously... PEM earns like $700 deposit and the CL doesn't earn much or is well trained.
hi, can let me know what is the code of the CL from PEM?

I m writing as a first time sharing our experience on PEM CL 丽君 LI JUN Tan Lih Kun(#1002) 31 Oct to 22 Nov 2016. (Pardon for poor grammars or English sentences)

Some backgrounds
We, newly wedded in 2015, stayed alone without our parents, so basically we managed our our cooking and housework. We did not want our parents to go through the taking care of baby process again hence decline help from them. Baby was born end Oct 2016.

Service engaged with PEM
1) Confinement service
2) Herbal package
3) Post Natal Massage

There are certain issues that we are unhappy about, but will not go into too much details.

1) Attention to baby, 9/10 (but too much carrying, every time baby cry, she will carry him immediately)
2) Cooking 4/10, too much usage of salt
3) Cleaning 2/10, I have to re-wash all my plates, woks, utensils again, vacuum the floor myself and have to keep wipe my cabinets after her cooking, with oily stains.
4) Deteriorated my stove and knifes 5/10, I only bought my stove 1 year plus ago, now the metal stove grill has changed color from dark grey to light grey with roughness texture on it. My knifes are dented with uneven marks.

Despite all the above, we are still able to close one eye as my focus is on my baby and wife.

Now, I m going to share on the issue that why we terminate the CL.

This the issues started only last Tuesday on 22 Nov 2016.

My wife went through C-Sec, hence the massage was rescheduled to a later date in view to allow the wound to be recover properly.

21 Nov 2016

The first session of the massage was done in my spare room,(door close) I was on leave on Monday but work from home.

22 Nov 2016
I m back to work, as per norm.

The CL entered our master bedroom on 22nd November and opened up my bedside drawer without permission, and most importantly it happened when no one else was in the room. My wife was having her post natal massage done in the other room, and was required to returned to the master bed room to get another towel. If not she would not have caught the CL red handed opening the drawers. And we cannot imagine what could have happened if she wasn't caught then.

When confronted, the CL excuse was that her ears were itchy and was desperately looking for cotton bud.

I can close an eye that she entered the master bedroom, since she has to help my wife , and may be required to enter the master bedroom at times.
However would anyone of you open the drawers of your boss's bedroom to look for things without permission, and without her in the room?
Especially when she know the chances of her catching in action is slim as my wife was having her post natal massage done, and won't be around till an hour later. Would not anyone be angry even if our best friend do that to us, let alone a helper that we barely know.

Frankly, even if we give her the benefits of doubts that CL had a bad itch, and was really looking for cotton bud, is it right for her to search my bedroom for it? And even if the cotton bud is in my drawer, which is a NO, is it right for her to take without asking? It doesn't matter what contents, be it diamonds or cotton buds, that she was looking for; the fact is, it is definitely not right for her to open up the drawer of someone else's bedroom to look for things.

Even though nothing was lost, we were very upset to hear that PEM expect us to accept the reason that the CL's ear was itchy and was searching for cotton bud, and hence to resolve the issue without further explanation, or rendering us assistance.

It is also meaningless that PEM advice us to inspect her luggage as it was fortunate enough that my wife happened to step in the bedroom at the right time to intercept any valuables stolen.

We no longer can trust her and decided to terminate her service

Lastly, before the CL left our home, she said to say to my wife that if she wanted to steal, she would have done so earlier, so if there was an opportunity earlier, she would have done so?

We have emailed in to PEM for a explanation but none of the customer service acknowledge or reply.

Once again, please do think many times before engaging PEM services.

Last edited:
I m writing as a first time sharing our experience on PEM CL 丽君 LI JUN Tan Lih Kun(#1002) 31 Oct to 22 Nov 2016. (Pardon for poor grammars or English sentences)

Some backgrounds
We, newly wedded in 2015, stayed alone without our parents, so basically we managed our our cooking and housework. We did not want our parents to go through the taking care of baby process again hence decline help from them. Baby was born end Oct 2016.

Service engaged with PEM
1) Confinement service
2) Herbal package
3) Post Natal Massage

There are certain issues that we are unhappy about, but will not go into too much details.

1) Attention to baby, 9/10 (but too much carrying, every time baby cry, she will carry him immediately)
2) Cooking 4/10, too much usage of salt
3) Cleaning 2/10, I have to re-wash all my plates, woks, utensils again, vacuum the floor myself and have to keep wipe my cabinets after her cooking, with oily stains.
4) Deteriorated my stove and knifes 5/10, I only bought my stove 1 year plus ago, now the metal stove grill has changed color from dark grey to light grey with roughness texture on it. My knifes are dented with uneven marks.

Despite all the above, we are still able to close one eye as my focus is on my baby and wife.

Now, I m going to share on the issue that why we terminate the CL.

This the issues started only last Tuesday on 22 Nov 2016.

My wife went through C-Sec, hence the massage was rescheduled to a later date in view to allow the wound to be recover properly.

21 Nov 2016

The first session of the massage was done in my spare room,(door close) I was on leave on Monday but work from home.

22 Nov 2016
I m back to work, as per norm.

The CL entered our master bedroom on 22nd November and opened up my bedside drawer without permission, and most importantly it happened when no one else was in the room. My wife was having her post natal massage done in the other room, and was required to returned to the master bed room to get another towel. If not she would not have caught the CL red handed opening the drawers. And we cannot imagine what could have happened if she wasn't caught then.

When confronted, the CL excuse was that her ears were itchy and was desperately looking for cotton bud.

I can close an eye that she entered the master bedroom, since she has to help my wife , and may be required to enter the master bedroom at times.
However would anyone of you open the drawers of your boss's bedroom to look for things without permission, and without her in the room?
Especially when she know the chances of her catching in action is slim as my wife was having her post natal massage done, and won't be around till an hour later. Would not anyone be angry even if our best friend do that to us, let alone a helper that we barely know.

Frankly, even if we give her the benefits of doubts that CL had a bad itch, and was really looking for cotton bud, is it right for her to search my bedroom for it? And even if the cotton bud is in my drawer, which is a NO, is it right for her to take without asking? It doesn't matter what contents, be it diamonds or cotton buds, that she was looking for; the fact is, it is definitely not right for her to open up the drawer of someone else's bedroom to look for things.

Even though nothing was lost, we were very upset to hear that PEM expect us to accept the reason that the CL's ear was itchy and was searching for cotton bud, and hence to resolve the issue without further explanation, or rendering us assistance.

It is also meaningless that PEM advice us to inspect her luggage as it was fortunate enough that my wife happened to step in the bedroom at the right time to intercept any valuables stolen.

We no longer can trust her and decided to terminate her service

Lastly, before the CL left our home, she said to say to my wife that if she wanted to steal, she would have done so earlier, so if there was an opportunity earlier, she would have done so?

We have emailed in to PEM for a explanation but none of the customer service acknowledge or reply.

Once again, please do think many times before engaging PEM services.

Thanks for sharing..i'm still considering between confinement agency and CL referral.. :(

Am currently in confinement and taken care of by a CL from PEM.

CL (Janet #342) is great - cooks well, is neat and clean and takes good care of baby.

PEM staff (Hwei) is terrible, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's desensitized to complaints.

My confinement period is less than 28 days due to CNY and we were supposed to pay only for the days the nanny worked (pro-rated). I had to ask multiple times the final amount to be paid before being given an answer...Hwei avoided the question I asked repeatedly on emails until I asked again on the phone.

I suppose service is not their priority as long as they clinch the deals. Thank God the CL is good, if only they could improve on the quality of the sales service.

Wanna share my own thoughts and experience with those having dilemma as I also went through this process last year while having my second child.

I feel regardless if u engage fr referral or agency, it's a matter of luck whether u get someone u think it's good. For my first one, I got my CL based on fren's recommendation but there were also occasions I was very upset so I din engage her again.

Got PEM for my second one. In terms of confinement rules e.g. like whether u wear shorts or long pants (recommended), the CL doesn't care. You can either say she's more modern and less rigid, or to put it badly, bo chup. For example, My first CL would boil a pail of water for me to use if I wanted to wash hands etc. but the second one din. When I asked if that's what we r supposed to do, she just said oh it's the same if ur toilet has the hot water from the water heater.

Cooking wise, definitely not great. But to my husband and I, our priority for her is the baby so we never commented anything. There was once she pan fried salmon and it was still raw when I was about to eat it. Yucks..

Baby wise, also so so. On her first night, I was suddenly woken up by lots of shhhh shhhhh sounds. Turned out she was trying to shhhh the crying baby to keep quiet. Took me a few days to get used to this method as I felt uncomfortable that she sounded like she's telling my baby to shut up.

All these were still fine. But the worst was on her last day. She said she would leave at 12+ and would cook lunch for us ie she's having lunch also which we are totally cool too. In the end could tell she was rushing to go off and we were still happy and satisfied with her, saying thanks and goodbye. After she left, we got a rude shock when we saw the pot containing the left over ingredients of black bean soup she cooked was left there (no more soup left). She knows we dun and can't cook at all so it can't be that she's doing us a favor by leaving it there so we could have it for dinner. And she had made no mention of her "good intentions ". And so we had to wash up after her and similarly the spoons and bowls she had washed aft lunch still had stains.

Just do remember that no CL is perfect. Of course still try to get a recommended one, but at the end of the day it's still down to luck.

Good luck to all mummies! :)

Hi can i hav her code?

Hi all,

Hi can i hav yur CL's code?

Hi all,

Hi, can I have your confinement lady's code?

Thanks

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi everyone,

I'm really new and I hope to seek all your expertise. My wife and I recently found that we are expecting our first child, and we would like to engage a CL. After reading through the posts here, it seems that engaging a good CL is really important for our sanity.

That said, could you please share with me the CLs whom you have good experience with?

Thank you so much!

hi can you advice wad is the her code?

Hi all,

hi.. can you share her contact with me? tia.

hi all, I engaged PEM agency in 2013. Being a first time mum in 2013, I did not think there was a major issue with the nannies which were sent to me. Hence i engaged with PEM for my 2nd child in 2nd 2016.

I changed my nannies 2 times.
1st time: Nanny was inexperienced in handling my baby who was down with jaundice. As per advice by PD, we had to feed baby every 2 to 3 hrly. She did not wake my baby up for one of the feeds and went to bedroom to use the hp after doing the dishes. My baby had not drink for more than 4 hrs and she did not even feed. When i confronted her, she mentioned that she can't wake baby up and said it's ok that baby wants to sleep just let her sleep. I was so angry and keep insisting. Baby did not wake up to drink a single drop. Fortunately, later on i brought baby to my bedroom and then she was able to wake up. Thereafter the cf feed my girl.
We brought baby for follow up the next day and her jaundice levels had gone up. We requested a change of cf thereafter.

We thought the 2nd cf will be better as i requested for more experienced one.
It was a terrible experience for the 2nd one ( Lee Boon Gaik 李文玉) .
Cooking: She never ask me if she can cook my meals. She just went to cook and say meal is ready.
Laundry: She only did my baby laundry but use the washing machine to spin dry. I never saw any cf lady who use washing machine to wash or spin dry baby clothes. She even use the washing machine to spin dry her clothes on daily basis. In the PEM contract, she was supposed to do my and my husband laundry. She did not even do it. During my cf, I had to bring the soiled clothes in a heavy basket to wash and dry the clothes. She saw me doing it and did not even do her duties to take over. She saw my fil carry his laundry and ask if he needs help. I was boiling with anger as I was the one paying for her wages yet she is not doing her duties but willing to do other things.
Feeding baby: She is able to feed my baby 3 hrly. but every time baby cries she will deem baby is hungry and keep feeding her. Baby stomach got bloated and a bit hard and i question how come baby tummy feels hard. She pushes the blame to me that when i breastfeed her must have cause her to take in a lot of wind. I was really angry as i only breastfeed my baby 1 or 2 times a day and the rest are bottled feed by her ( 6 to 7 times a day). I breastfeed my baby in my room without her seeing and she can actually made such comments. She always feed my baby in the room which i didn't notice how she feed as my relationship with the cf had grown sour as e days go by.
Afternoon nap: She requested for fixed timing to sleep and want to lock the door. she requested me to look after e baby when she is napping. initially i thought it was ok as she just ended one cf session and came right over and needed her to feed baby regularly at nite. When i told her that during some of her nap sessions, i had massage, she was unhappy and feel that she would not have enough rest. my massage lady told me that she never hear of any cf who nap without the baby and need the mummy to look after instead as the mummy is the one who needs to rest after undergoing childbirth. i think she overhear my massage lady so there after she brought my baby to nap with her. but everytime i had massage, she will give me that unhappy look.
Attitude: Terrible and superb rude!!!! She can actually accuse me for putting my kitchen stuff on the floor. I told her that i did not and just put the stuff on the kitchen table. She said that is the same!!! It is my house and not her. Who is she to decide where to put it and demand where i put my stuff.
She question the type of towel i use for baby and made sarcastic remarks
We offer her to eat apples which we bought and she say that she eat good quality apples.
She threw away vegetables which my hubby bought without asking us and made sarcastic remarks that my hubby doesn't know how to do marketing.
She claimed that she eat good food and refuse to eat the bread and stuff we had and go out to do groceries shopping. All other cf ladies which we had were quite easy going and did not demand.
I was thinking if she is trying to show off if she is doing well then why needs to work as cf.
She says I'm lazy to only express milk 5 times a day!!! what the heck. i express and breastfeed my baby 1 or 2 a day (as she always didn't check meal time with me i could breastfeed my baby) I had more than enough milk to feed her and even if i do not have, i could get formula.
I did not quarrel directly with her as she take care of my baby. My poor first child suffer a lot as i vent my frustrations of my cf on her by scolding her harshly and thought that i was probably going to have depression to have such treatment from the cf.
A cf is supposed to let a mummy recuperate after giving birth by taking care of the newborn, do the laundry for newborn and the parents and say encouraging words.
We finally change e cf as she realised i really dislike her.
I'm so glad that my confinement period is finally over.

Back