Any Recommendation for Playgroup at Bishan /Upper Thomson area

aloe

Hello mummies,

any Playgroup to recommend for troddler (2 years old) in Bishan / Upper Thomson Road area? thanks!

Hi aloe ,

I am finding childcare in bishan too . Have u heard of NTUC childcare in blk 245 and 246 ?

hi hi,

my son 18mths...last yr i called..
the ntuc bishan is branching out in another blk..
hv nt sit in to trial yet...

Hi Chrisy

I have went to the center and i found that the place is not proper organised and cramp futhermore not comfortable with the teaher there have. Then i have decided to sent my son to YMCA at AMK where my mum stay but still under waitlist . Maybe u should take a look at the NTUC CC and u know what i mean . BTW , i stay in the same blk as the new branch.

hi psoh,

i have not check out the NTUC Child care at the blk 245 before.. maybe i should just drop by to have a look .
Oh where is the YMCA @ AMK. ??
BTW, how old is yr son ?? My son is 22 months old soon....

Hi Chrisy,
where is the other NTUC Child care ?? Which block ?

I am looking at Apple Tree now as one of my friend send her gal to Apple Tree before. She said her gal like it very much. There is 1 at Sin Ming Ave ..

My son is 18 mths now . The other NTUC which is the extension of the old ntuc is at blk 246 .

YMCA at AMK Ave 3 forgot about the blk . U can check out in the website there have the address . BTW, the new class start in Oct . There is another branch in bishan st 13 .

Now i still in the waitlist for YMCA .

You may wish to visit them and queue first because quite popular .

newly setup skool is always not good....
tatz why i am waiting for few more months to take a look there...

i can imagine the chaos..
proud.gif

posh, ur son born aug04 too?
happy.gif
i am still pondering when to admit full day skool...

i have put my son under waitlist at YMCA in Ang Mo Kio . I will try to call them this june to see there have started the new enrolment .

I will put him in a half day CC once he reach K1 then full day .

Chrisy , have u be searching for CC . Need to go and put your son on waitlist if it is a popular school .

hi hi
moving to sin ming road soon, very headache with my gals' childcare also.

Aloe
where is apple tree exactly? sin min ave? is it near Ai Tong, coz' only can find Sparkle tots in that area from mcys website.

also thinking of bishan ntuc, now will think thrice and go take a look. have gone to see "Cherish child", very near my place but very dissappointed. the principle is busily feeding the children don't even bother to talk to us. And personally, i prefer local teachers for chinese, rather than china ones, coz' of bad experience.

my gal now at SAF depot road childcare, and she's very happy, sigh...don't know how to tell her that got to change school again.

Anyone has good recommendation for nanny as well? I've got another little one, just turned 18mths.

sorry for the loads of requests...

hi aloe
thanks for the info. it seems that appletree is only conducting playgroups? I'm looking for full-day childcare actually.

cherish child is a few blocks from shunfu market and the PAP kindergarten. My hubby went to Sparkle tots in sin ming ave, he thinks it's ok, but both cherish child and sparkle tots (now changed name to dunno what) only have 12mths licence. I remember seeing in another thread that those with only 12mths licence not good, should look for CC with 24mths licence.

where exactly do you live? I live in Sin Ming Plaza.

hi lis,

now sparkle tots change name to heartyland (i think so).. i stay 1 block away from this CC.. heehee..

in this case Cherish child care will be nearer to yr house. there is an other 1 near the hospital, our jounior school (this is a Pat's Associate School). I dun really like it as the location is not convenience.

There is another near Thomson plaza.. but i am not sure the name. u might want to try cambridge. is opposite ai tong school.

how old is yr elder gal ?

hi aloe
thanks for the info again!
I've gone for "CC-shopping" today,here's my ob:
1) bishan ntuc
-very bright and new
-teachers are young and can play guitar!
-principle: karen doesn't seem enthusiastic enough, didn't tell me about the ciriculum like the others did
-might consider...

2)YWCA
-quite old, staff mostly auntie, teacher in bigger class quite fierce, heard her scolding: must be fierce to you then you know!!
-principle very keen and helpful, provides lots of info

3)YMCA
-also pretty old, teacher quite fierce/strict
-toddlers bathe after lunch!!
-principle is friendly and provides good info
-have a practical life corner

yes, I think the new name is heartyland. hubby went to see himself. he thinks bishan ntuc is better than heartyland. why didn't you choose this since it's near your house?

how's Cambridge? opposite ai tong is also quite far for us leh. very headache!

my elder gal is 3+ (mar 2005). I have a younger one at 18mths. what about you?

hi aloe

so you have enrol your boy in cambridge already? I'm still having headache finding CC for my gal.
how's cambridge? is it using void deck as its premise? are the fees high?

Hi Lis

Thanks for sharing the CC information ya Bishan NTUC is vy bright as 1 site of the
centre is new. It is actually vy near my MIL's place......

Where is YWCA ???

Cambridge is located at the private housing area opposite Ai Tong School. Next
to a temple. Yes, enrolled and will start this coming Oct. I think the fees is quite
high. Actually I only visited 2 CC and decided to enroll in Cambridge..

I have not bring my son to see visit the CC yet.. but everyday, when we pass by
the school, I will tell him that he will be going to this school to study and
know more friends. He seems OK with the arrangement.... oh in Sept, we will
bring him to the school during weekend for few hours of trail class.. so he will
be more familiar with the environment.

Oh He is 2 yrs 4 mths old now.. my only son

Hi aloe,

How do you find the Cambridge school which you enrolled your son in? Do you stay in Sin Ming area?

Hi Zin,

yes, we stay in Sin Ming area... Why I selected Cambridge... actually I did not
do lots of research before I enrolled him there.

I jus find the school environment is good (clean); when I talk to the centre
manager, I feel quite comfortable with her. I find her can handle children there vy
well and I also feel that the students there enjoy themselves while they are in
school..

Really hope he likes to go to school ...

hi ladies
finally decided on REd schoolhouse, in Jln pemimpin. My gal will be doing her 3 day trial tomorrow, hope everything is fine!

hi Elixir
yes I did. Not totally pleased with what I saw, but I am comfortable with the principle. They have an English teacher who speaks good standard English, Jamie, quite hard to find nowadays. But my gal likes the chinese teacher more, she's from China. The teachers keep calling the kids "darling".

I think there's a MMI to be opened opp Thomson Plaza. The reno is not completed, so I'm not sure when it'll be opened.

Hi Mommies, I m also looking for my boy. I have done some research. I sincerely find that the montessori in Sin Ming Centre better than the one mentioned above. I went to the above as well to check out. They moved location 3 times (all in upper thomson road) within a year, n fees dropped tremendously. Now only got 2 students as they just opened the above n new management. Dun like the place. I m going to the one in sin ming centre this morning for trial n will keep u all posted. Cheers.

hi Sally
is it Kizgrow or something like that? the one near shunfu market? please keep me updated, I live very near there and considering afternoon lessons for my gal.

Hi Lis
It is called Y'kidz Montessori Enrichment Centre at Sin Ming Centre. HOw old is your gal? You can call Annie (Admin Manager) at 65540334 to check out more details.

After searching for so many places, though this place is small, not big, I like it cos ratio is small 1:5 Max 10kids in the class. N teachers n principal nice. Went for the trial at 1030hrs, impressed at how well behaved the kids are. The playgroup I attending is 18m-2.5yrs, mostly are 2yrs in this class hence they have been there for a few months liao, so they already got used to the routine n well-behaved. As my boy just turned 18m today, the teachers suggest me to put my boy at the 0830hrs class or the afternoon class 2pm cos more attention will be give n around the same age group as there are 3 kids only in these classes. Hence I will be looking at 0830hrs slot. Promotion is on now for these two sessions n reg is half the price. U go n see if u like it. Trial is free, hence u can arrange to go.

U can tell Annie that u are referred by me. I think u mentioned my boy's name Akinesh, she will remember.

Is there one near Shunfu? Is it montessori?

Price per month for 5 times a week is S$260.
Price per month for 3 times a week is S$200.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Hi Sally,

Have you started the class at Y'kidz ? Do they have weekend class ? Thought of trying the trial when i am on leave.

Funny, dun think got weekend class.... me not yet.... thinking to start Jan lei cos next week bringing my boy for the 18m vaccine. U call n check... U wan to join?

Hi Sally Ng,
May I know if Y'Kidz is child care or playgroup? If playgroup, what is teh duration for each session?

Hi,
My in-law stay around Sin Ming Plaza too and I am considering between YKidz & Zoo Phonics. Mummies around Sin Ming area, may I ask what is the deciding factor for u to chose YKidz over ZP?

For those already enroll in Ykidz, which slot or program are you in? Does the parent/caregiver need to be around during the lesson?

Hi Bonnie
Me started my boy this month with Y'kidz. He is coping fine. He is in daily playgroup at 8.30am-10.30am, taking school bus to and fro himself. Y'kidz is montessori based and ZP only on phonics for an hour. Hence depending on wat u wan. My boy already picked up ZP from his GUG lessons previously, hence switching him to montessori programme, thus Y'kidz cos small area and ratio. Maybe u can go for the free trial with Y'kidz. Nope no caregiver during the lesson. Hope it helps. Can PM me if u need further info as I seldom check here.

Hi mummies,

I am thinking of enrolling my gal into playgroup once she reaches 24 mths (she's now 19mths) so im "shopping" around for schools.

Any good recommendations for AMK/Upp Thomson area?

All your kind reco & advise will be greatly appreciated.

Michelle, wat kind of prog u looking at? Then can source around....... like montessori? Gym? Kindergarten prenursery for 2008? etc
Yr gal 19m now, she should be 2005 babies, then she can go for even PAP class next year in 2008.
All depend on your budget n wat u plan for your gal.

Hi Sally,

thks for your replies. i really dont know what & how to start looking for.....basically, i think i'll start her off the 2-3 hrs classes frm Mon to Fri is good enough. I think im looking more for Playgroup for her first. then next yr (2008) then i'll put her in prenursery. yes she is a 2005 baby.

Michelle, then she is same as my boy. U in AMK? I m staying in AMK. There is a new learning horizon in grassroots club near Yio chu kang MRT, open house tomolo. U might wan to go n see in the morning.
There are those playgroups below HDB blocks, some r good, some r not. AMK not much, unless childcare - halfaday prog. There is one in AMK ave 1 called Wellington, got playrgoup but quite ex S$400.00 a month, hence I din enrol there even though walking distance for me.

If u wan to put your gal in kindergarten next year for pre-nursery, then must enrol this year. Some kindy enrolements start in March.

Hi Sally,

Yes, i stay in AMK also. Sorry, i didnt check this thread over the weekends and missed the open hse. Prob you can PM me directly and we can chat more in details.

Thks for the updates
happy.gif

Dear All,

I stay in AMK oso.. am searching for a full day Childcare centre for my boy who is turning 28mths soon. I went to learning horizon last thur, it is actually call Learning Vision, according to 1 of the senior teacher there, the reason why they open up tis centre is becos the vacancies for pubilc @ the NYP branch is full & tat whys they open another nearby branch to cater for the public.. but fees wise very exp noe.. after subsidy abt $749 (iclusive of 7% gst) but if u r a grassroot member, it cost only $480 after subsidy. My verdict for the pl is ; the place is very clean & well organize, the curriculum sounds gd (they use Letterland for N1 & above, which is wat i am in favour of) , teachers are friendly but the only neg pt is-- it is freezing cold man!!! according to them, is a central aircon control by grassroots club.

as for Wellington, is a quite a new centre but fees very exp.. fully aircon oso.

anybody heard of Metropolitan YMCA? http://www.mymca.org.sg/childcare/ccdifferent.htm
their headquarter is @ Orchard & they have 12 other branches located at North, East & Central & moreover they use Letterland too!!!

hi

any comment on Little GreenHouse childcare at Marigold Drive and also MMI at Bright hill drive?

Any mommies have tots in <font color="0000ff">Joyhouse Montessori (St 22 Blk 284), Angel's Cove (St 23 Blk 229 #B1) or Loving Kids (St 23, Blk 225, #B1)</font> playgroup for age group 18mth - 2.5/3yr old? Would appreciate your feedback on their program and your experience with them. Please PM me or leave a message here.
Thanks.

hi, any comments on the playgroup...etc conducted United Montessori at Blk 114, Bishan St. 12 and Little Strawberries at Blk 112?

Hi anyone knows the number for the Little Bambini playschool located along Upper Thomson road? The stretch of the Tong Shui Cafe.... thanks!

Hi, heard that NTUC at bishan is changing to a new principal. The precious one, Karen, I think is leaving. Anyone knows how's the situation now?? THinking of sending my girl there next yr.

Hi mums, my elder girl currently attends PIES School House at AMK Ave 4, it is 5 mins from AMK library. I was recommended by a friend as well and I am very satisfied with the centre.
I heard quite a number of teachers from the schools near by send their kids there too.
They have a very child friendly environment and I am impressed with the cirriculums they have there. I have seen development in my girl from a shy little girl to be more outgoing. When my girl first started, she always cried when I am leaving but the centre actually had their teaching assistant attend to her on a 1 to 1 basis until she opens up to the rest of the children.
I think the most important thing about a child care centre is to have a peace of mind when you leave your child there for a whole day. At Pies, they have fogging for mosquitos once a month and every weekend, they use vaporised vinger to disinfect the centre since it was recommended by MOH during the SARS period. I was very glad that during the HFMD earlier this year there was 0 cases at the centre.
If you are interested, you can check it out at www.pies.com.sg You can let your child go a their trial to see if it is suitable. I am sending my younger girl there at the end of the year.

Hi all,

Previously I heard from my neighbour who sends her kids to NTUC at 245 has bad exp. But recently, she told me that the ex principal had left and the staff seems to be more cheery &amp; positive. Don't know true or not.

So i went there with my hus to take a look for my girl. Have been eyeing on that cc cos my mil stays just next blk! The Principal was friendly and helpful. Forgot her name.

Showed me around and said there'll be reno for the old bay this year. so in time to come it'll look like the new bay too. even newer perhaps.

hmmm...so i think i may enrol since my girl will get to 'enjoy' the new look nxt yr.:p

anyone else can help me decide if this is a good place? thanks!I have till nxt week to decide as the vacancy for my girl is full soon for nxt year!

Back