Any one that didn't keep baby's cord blood?

venice

I didn't as i am out of job and just cannot afford the extra cash.

Felt so guilty that i didn't store ds cord blood, what if he will need it in future for his medicial issue than i have done him wrong..

We din keep for our 1st child as well. it was a decision made after some research and from our family history, there wasn't medical conditions or blood disorder so we asessed that it may not be necessary. Nothing to be guilty about, just calculated risk....like buying insurance...

venice, dont feel guilty. Alot of us never keep the cord blood. The companies will always it can be used to save ur children next time but its sales talk. Of course it is possible but subject to the illnesses /disease and how advance is the technology then.

we also didn't keep the cord blood for 2 of our children, only my middle child's kept or donated if exact terms.
finds that hospital is too rigid on the procedures when it comes to cord blood. when baby is born, when requested to keep the cord blood, they said, no paperwork, no blood kept. really a waste!

why shld u feel guilty? it's not a necessity. i didn't keep the cord blood as i felt that there wasn't a need to. even if *touch wood* something happen to my child, i'm not sure if the small amt of blood in the umblical cord is sufficient. i rather invest that money in a medical plan.

i didnt store it too
yes touch wood.. nothing will happen
i donated it, hope it helps whoever need it
sometimes, i feel proud to the decision i made to donate it
happy.gif

During our parent's time, there is no such thing as to keep the cord blood. We are still surviving !

It is only for those who have extra cash to do so. I did not buy for my ds though he is the only child.

i oso din keep. donated to the cord blood bank and hopefully can help whomever needs it.
happy.gif
Juz keep fingers crossed.

At least I donated, rather than let it go to waste?

We seriously considered keeping it in pte cord bank but decided to donate it in the end. Nothing to do with $$ though. Hopefully can help someone in he future.

actually, the amt of blood in the cord does not have enough stem cells once the child grows up. so effectively, the cordblood will only be of use at most up to his teenage years.

also cordblood will not be of any use if the child suffers from a genetic disease. and to be frank, if anything shld happen to a child during his early years, it most likely is due to the genes. so the cordblood can't be used anyway.

like that, i rather buy insurance...and at least it'll last him a lifetime.

I donated cord blood for both kids. Figured the cost of banking it too high and odds of needing it too low - might as well put it somewhere someone needs it now can use.

venice, you probly wont need it anyway. I've heard what dumbger said, that its only good for about 10 years, then useless after that. from some cord blood faqs it sounds really expensive, hopefully you just saved some money by not banking it (touch wood!)

hi Venice, i also din bank my baby's cord blood. Pls dun feel guilty abt it. You have not done your baby any disservice at all. Studies have shown that if your baby suffers from any genetic disease, the cord blood will NOT be able to help since it will also carry that "defect" in the blood. And cord blood has only found to be of limited help in very limited diseases. In fact, many countries in the European union have banned private cord blood banking - which shows that the benefits are not really that great in the first place. Of course , private cord blood banks will make a big hoo ha abt how impt it is- but remember, they are profit-driven. Google the net for more objective and professional views.

hi,
i donated my gal's cord blood as well. feel good about donating it. though very pissed off at ppl who insisted i'm risking my gal's life by doing so. like wat dumbger says, it's good for the beginning which if *touch wood* anything happens, is genetic & cord blood is useless
happy.gif

I din bank both of my baby's cord blood.

Only when i had my #2, then i knew that we can donate the cord blood, but when i wanted to do so, i realised that those who gave birth a G6PD baby previously are not allowed to donote... so for my #2, i din donate as well....

there are other options such as installment, private bank do have installment package for consumer, one is cordlife.
for more detailed information, you can check out their website or attend their talk on this saturday 25/9/10 @ traders hotel or next saturday 2/10/10 @raffles city convention. just bring along your gynae card and admission is Free.
hope this will help you :D

I also didnt store mine for my babies. Decided not to after attending the talks via cordlife and stemcord. From their Q&A sessions, U actually can identify some points raised by the audiences regarding the use of cordblood to save life,(i guess both companies have not use any during my time, so the incidence rate is not high). Ask more questions, these can help you make informed decisions. Check out the national blood bank and see over last 10 years, how many lives they have saved using cordblook? i doubt many..heard only foreigners apply for it.. not even any local.

I did but it's for the "just in case" kind of scenerio. hopefully won't be needed, but if I do, than at least it's there.. otherwise, no other particular reason why we kept it with Cordlife. My sis didn't keep for her son..

Ai @ http://www.sakuraharuka.com

Back