Any mums with low placenta?

Hi playfulfairy,

I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant. My gynea also told me I have low placenta, and need to take extra care.

Advise given to me is to rest more, no squating, cannot carry heavy stuff, and if experience any pain, bleeding, need to bed rest.

hi,
my gynae also told me that i have low lying placenta.... but i am currently only in my 10th week and hopefully it will move...
he did mention however that if the placenta remains in the same position, i would need a c-sect...

however, he did not mention anything about squatting and carrying heavy stuff.... did provide me will some pills for spotting though...

Hi everyone,
just to share that I was also told by gynae tt I have low placenta after my 20th week detail scan. Was very worried all along though doc say it might move up towards the end of pregnancy. And I experience this sensation of very tight and bloated tummy as if it's going to burst until now, which I still can't determine if it is bratox hicks or plain bloatedness due to indigestion. Sometimes, I also feel tummy very heavy and a pulling down sensation. Read somewhere in website and my chinese doc did mention that placenta previa could be partly due to prior surgery at the womb which I had (FIBROID REMOVAL). Chinese doc also say don't squat, carry heavy things, rest more. Also, understand tt there are mainly 2 types of placenta previa, one that completely covers the cervix and the other one either partially covers or positioned relatively low.May be it's good to clarify with gynae how serious is your condition before causing yourself too much worries like me.

Nevertheless, the last time gynae scanned AT 29TH WEEK, the placenta is above the baby's head liao and he commented it should be ok and continue to move up. It was a huge relief to hear that!

PLAYFULFAIRY: somehow I also don't feel good after climbing or going down stairs, so I try to avoid when possible. My doc did prescribe med to reduce contraction to prevent premature birth when I told him about the tummy tightening. it's better to monitor closely how you feel and feedback to your gynae as individual's condition is different.

Hope my sharing helps.
happy.gif
And wish all good luck and smooth delivery!

Thanks for sharing. Anyone knows of any way to let the placenta rise up beside resting more, not climbing stairs? I cant avoid climbing lots of stairs in my workplace...

hi mummies,

my gynae also mentioned that i have low placenta covering ops thus need a C section. i guess need alot of resting as if you walk too much or too tired and esp if you work is stressful, it might trigger early labour. currently i'm on hospitalization leave as gynae mentioned i'm not fit to wk.
lots of resting and resting

Hi,

I had placenta previa major during my 1st preg too. Bb was almost born at 28wks. Was hospitalised for 2wks and thereafter hospitalisation leave. Was on strict bed rest and thankfully, placenta shifted up enough for me to have a normal (assisted) delivery.

PlayfulFairy, Serriz:
Try not to exert yourselves. Rest whenever possible and lying down really helps (though it made me feel like a lazy slob too!) Good luck!

Llig,

thanks for your advice -
m resting alot but still go for shopping at times, however can walk for 2 long - fweeling tired easily.
still deciding if i should go back to work or stay at home till i deliver....

Serriz, if you have a choice, perhaps it would be better to rest at home until d-day. No point working and risking a preemie. But if gynae thinks your case is mild, then should be ok to work.

hi,

my placenta is low lying too. Had a bit of spotting last week and rushed to the gynae who confirmed that.

Luckily, the spotting stopped the day after and gynae gave me an MC till the end of the week.

When I went for my detailed scan on Friday (I am in my 20th week btw), the scan showed that the placenta is still lying low. Gynae told me that I need more rest, less walking etc.

She also mentioned that placenta will usually move around, but if the placenta is still low lying towards my edd, I will not be able to go for a natural birth.

*sigh*

Llig,

well i'm seeing my gynae tml - see what she sae - but i think i will prefer to stay at home cos i'm reli feeling much happy. spendin qty time with my toddler too and getting enuf rest.

Hi Mrs Chua-
wait till your detailed scan then will be able to tell you how low is your placenta - for my case is my placenta ord cover my ops ( birth canal) thus C section is a must. If possible have more rest - is this your first pregnancy?

Hi serriz,
I went for my detailed scan 2 wks ago and the sonographer confirmed tat my placenta is low lying.

My gynae, upon seeing the results, also confirmed again. But she din tell me the exact location. She just mentioned that placenta will usually move ard but if it didnt, I will have to go for a C-section.

Yea, this is my first pregnancy. I try not to walk or climb up or downstairs unless unnecessary.
happy.gif

hi mrs chua,

i'm oso a first time MTB having low placenta problem. My placenta did move up a little as time goes by. So dun worri, there is still time for yrs to move up. But try not to walk too much or over exert yrself as it will cause spotting. It happen to me quite a few times, n now i'm told by gynae to have total bed rest.
Try to lie down as much as u can.
1466592.gif

Hi happie:

Thanks for your advice.
happy.gif

May i find out how many mths preggers r u now?

Total bedrest ah? Till U deliver?

The first (n hopefully the last) time I had spotting coz of the placenta, my gynae gave me MC to cover me for the rest of the working week too.

Sharing with all of you..

My eldest daughter is now in Poly 2nd year. She was a low placenta baby too. She was also born premature thru c-section because I had complications..my blood pressure shot up very high during the last 1.5 mths before her delivery.

My advice to all of you is this:

1. Don't worry. Because worry will stress u up. And make blood pressure go haywire

2.Take it easy, move like tortoise if you have to. Wear flip flops(sandals). Wear very loose clothing, no tight fitting dresses that wrap your tummy like bak changs! That causes stress too!
You want to look pretty, wait till after baby is born.

3. Its impossible to do the total bedrest unless you have a helper or maid or mom on standby at home. You have to eat, to drink , go toilet by yourself at home. So best to do this easily, slowly.

4. My gynae gave me pills to take back then..like in 1990! to strengthen the womb..so I won't have miscarriage. And it worked.

happy.gif

Hi mrs chua,

welcome =^_^=.
i'm coming 29 wks now. Had this prob when i was in my 24 wks. Super kan cheong at that time but now not so liao. If i see bleeding or spoting now, i will just remain in bed n it will usually go off.
Gynae told me that spotting is common in low placenta unless its constant bleeding den its a prob. so dun worrie too much. Did yr gynae give u any medi ?
I'm in total bed rest until my next wk appt. Luckily my parents are stayin with me so weekdays they take care of everything n weekend my hubby will take over.
They will prepare everythin at my bedside so the only time i get out off bed is to go toilet. sometime it mk me feel so useless ..hehe

Hi happie,

The gynae gave me some ang moh "an tai yao" which I have been taking for a mth le. She also mentioned b4 that spotting is only a cause of worry if the colour is bright red.

so far, i have only been trying to walk slower, lesser. I will take the lift whenever possible even if it is just one flight up or down. Try to be lazier.
happy.gif
But other than that, everything is normal leh.

Like u, I feel useless sometimes. But bo bian.

Hi gina,
Thanks for your advice.

hi
i also have low lying placenta after do ds, nw on 22week preg le.. gynae said my case a bit complicated & it wont move up, so must go c-section. just worry is have premature labour happen..
the worse is my workplace enviroment.i must up & down staircase whenever i need to go toilet
gynae nvr prescribe me any med to eat leh, is it necessary? i ll ask him on mext visit

hi bbgoh,

ur gynae is already able to confirm that ur placenta wun move?

im unsure if it is necessary to take the an tai yao or not, but my gynae asked me to just continue eating it. So i take it 2x per day.

Mr Chua,
yah he said wun move maybe it alrdy totally cover my cervic bah.. i nvr ask so details on last appnt.

next appnt ll be on 7th July, ll chk with gynae..

Orhhh...

Mine still din move during the last checkup last week. But gynae said if it still remains at where it is by the 8th mth, den I can only opt for C-section le.

Mrs Chua I went for detailed scan at 22 weeks and the sonographer said that my placenta was on the low side too. However she told me it wasn't so low that it was a cause for worry and in majority of cases the placenta does move up. However to be on the safe side she booked me in for another scan when I was 32 weeks plus which was last Monday. This time she checked and placenta had moved up. So don't worry too much if your placenta hasn't moved up yet as perhaps it's still early days for you.

Hi Mrs N,

Thanks! I am currently 24 wks preggers, so hopefully my placenta will move by the 8th mth like u.
happy.gif

But meanwhile, me not taking any chances, so no excessive walking and no carrying of anything not considered light. :p

Hi All MTB,
I am new to this thread -
Just want to share that i too am a first time MTB and was diagnosed with low lying placenta since week 12. I am now in week 23. Was discovered when i had spotting, and to my horror, the following week, had fresh red blood 'shoot' out when i sneezed! During my 12 to 20 weeks, i had to see my gynae every 2 - 3 days for check up and for injections to 'relax' the womb. Was also put on Duphaston to relax womb.

I must say that reading ur shared experiences have indeed helped me to feel not so 'alone' on all this. At least i know that there are also mums out there that know how i feel and how worrying it is. Will keep u all in my prayers - Good Luck!

Hi bawbaw,

I delivered my baby safely 3 weeks ago though my placenta didnt shift up at all.

Just listen to your gynae's advice and not move/walk ard too much, both u and baby will be safe.

So you continue to have faith and keep your spirits up ok?

I was also diagnosed with low lying placenta for my current pregnancy. Previous 2 pregnancies no such probs. At the detailed scanning, the readiologist said that my placenta is partially covering the OS which means that a C-Sect is most likely.

I'm now currently 34-weeks preggie and recently went for my check-up. Thk God the ultrasound showed that the placenta has moved up. Not alot... but enough for me to try natural delivery. Me now praying hard that all will go well on delivery day.

I was also diagnosed with low lying placenta in my 1st trimester. Luckily, it moved up in the third trimester and obgyn told me it was not that low any more. It was good news for me. Had natural delivery. Now my bb girl is already 10mons old. I think you should just be careful like usual, don't think too much about. If you see any spotting, or feel uncomfortable, do see your obgyn. Don't have negative thoughts and enjoy the pregnancy.

Hi Bawbaw
I was also diagnosed with low lying placenta in my 1st trimester. My previous 3 pregnancies do not hv this prob. Maybe due to my busy schedule n flying almost every 2 months.

When I was 34+wk preggie, i had spotting and was orderd bedrest for 3 days. Right aft 3days, i went back to office (too much work) even though there were caution to rest more. My waterbag burst with blood (placenta torn) while i'm hvg lunch in office! To cut things short, i've safely delivered my baby that evening via emergency c-sect as the placenta was blockg the cervix.

Lesson to be learnt, dont exert/push yourself s u will know ur body best, rest more often, do consult ur gynae shld u hv any more spottg and do not think twice of getting MC / take leave to rest even how much work is piling up, as health and safety of you and your baby is more important!

Hi Bawbaw,
I'm now in my 24 weeks and doc say my placenta is low too. I've had a bit of spotting also. Dr also gave me a jab to stabilise and am on progesterone pills 2x a day also. I've been under "house arrest" for the past month...no shopping, no walking too much. My appt today also showed that its still low, and I still need to rest. Luckily I'm not working...

How are you?

hi all,

i also have low placenta.

i am now in my 25th week.

i've been having frequent cramps and lately, i've been feeling some movements very near my vagina.

any of you feel the same way?

hi mummies,

just to share with u my experience, i have a low placenta when i did my scan at the 16-17 week. it was also during that period that i started to have reddish spotting. Coz i walked alot, i was given home rest for abt 2 weeks to see if the placenta moves, but unfortunately, it didnt. Doct told me to be careful as low placenta will result in frequent spotting and early delivery. How early, no one can tell.

as my spotting become more frequent and the lost of fluid that surrounds the baby, i was hospitalised for closed to 2 months and at 25-26 week, my pre-mature baby was born and he is still at NICU KKH nw.

Naddy, Cramps and frequent movements are quite normal, it's becoz of the low placenta that u will feel the movements so clearly at 25 weeks. if the placenta is higher, the movement will nt be so obvious for a 25 weeker.

if u have a low placenta, advice is, if doct said CRIB (Complete rest in bed) pls listen and dun move so much except to go toilet only. coz i was very stubborn, during my CRIB, i was still moving here and there like nothing.

i've learnt my lesson the hard way and i hope all other mummies who have low placenta, to learn from my experience and take extra care.

hi yvonne,

how's your baby now?

my first one was also premature and had very low birth weight but she's not premature due to a low placenta.

i fear a premature delivery so each time i have cramps, i'll just keep still and not move til the episode is over. i get cramps about 2-3 times a day but i declined my gynae's offer of MC because when i went for my check-up last week, the cramps were frequent but not that painful. i also have no bleeding.

my gynae told me to avoid carrying heavy things (anything more than 10kg is a no-no) and avoid sexual intercourse. other than that, life should go on as per normal for me. i hope if i do have to deliver earlier, it will be after 34 weeks, when all the organs are fully-developed.

hi naddy,

my baby still at NICU kkh, coz very pre-mature so the lung is nt fully developed, doct said still need more time for him to breathe without the external help.

i think if ur gynae felt that u should rest at home, u better do...coz i regretted nt listening to my gynae when he give me advice and ordered home rest.

my gynae oso told me no sex as it will sort of cause bleeding of the placenta since it's low..

hopefully your baby will deliver as full term then is better..
happy.gif

hi naddy / yvonne,
i'm currently 28 wks, and placenta is still low. i've been having slight daily cramps also but gynae says they're ok.

eversince my spotting incident, i've literally just been stuck at home and rest. so much so that sometimes just to get some fresh air, i go to the shop downstairs, i feel so breathless and unfit. but what to do, for the sake of my baby, just listen to the dr.

yvonne, hope your baby is doing well...

hi athlete,
ya, he's been quite stable and doct just updated me of their plans for him next coming week. pre-mature babies some days good some days not doing well, so for the sake of baby, pls do as wat the doct advice.

if i ever have the chance to go back in time, i sure will listen to my gynae.... it's so sad that baby is suffering becoZ of my own stupidilty and stubborn...

Hi! All,

I am currently at 12 weeks. Was diagnosed with low lying placenta since 8 weeks. My gynae said that the placenta was very near the cervix entrance. I have been experiencing cramps since 8 weeks too. Cannot walk too much. Otherwise, I will feel breathless and my cramps get worse. It has been a torture to me as I cramp almost the whole day. Now, I am on a month medical leave to rest at home. No choice, this baby is important to us. I had two previous miscarriages before I conceive this one. I have a 4 year old son.

hi J&M,
u really need to take extra care.... dun walk at all except to go toilet. u have a lot way to go yet...so must really be careful. good luck and all the best
happy.gif

Hi! Yvonne,

Thank you for your advice and concern. I read abt your case. It's really heartbreaking to know that your little one is currently in NICU. I hope that you can bring him home soon.
happy.gif

yvonne,

are you aware of the premature babies support grp thread? i find the mommies there very supportive when my daughter was in nicu and scn.

dont blame yourself, also. for me, for my first girl, i didnt have a low placenta problem, yet my daughter simply refused to grow in the womb and when she was born at 34 weeks, she was only 1kg.

now, i try to rest more. at work, i often put my feet up and if i cant walk the short distance from the mrt station to my workplace, i'll just take a cab lor.

J&M,
only in your 12th week? rest a lot. anyway, you must be feeling queasy from all the morning sickness? so, the rest is welcome, isnt it?

take care, all you mommies!

Hi J & M,
I also had 2 prev m/c before conceiving this one... and this is my 1st pregnancy... so yah, this is my miracle baby also. You take care and must rest alot. Me, I stopped work at around 20 weeks and have been on "house rest" since then.

Hi naddy,
How old is your girl now? You too must take it easy...

Hi Yvonne,
Pray that your baby will get better and you can bring him home soon.. I'm sure he's a fighter.

Hi! Naddy,

I had to rest at home due to cramping. I can look very pale whenever I cramp. Also, I tend to feel nausea every evening. Cannot take much for dinner.

Hi! Athlete,

Congrats on your pregnancy. Your baby is indeed a miracle baby! Hope everything goes well for you.
My last miscarriage occurred this May. When I found that I was pregnant again, I have this mixed feeling of fear and happiness. I was very careful with every movements and visited my gynae every week to ensure that my baby is growing well. My cramping is making me worry everyday but my gynae assured me that it is due to uterus expanding. I have tendered my resignation recently. Just want to stay at home and rest till birth. So you are a stay-at-home-mum-to-be, right?

hi yvonne,

you'll find lots of support in this thread: http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/490727.html

whatever your baby is facing, there will (unfortunately) be a mother who has a baby facing the same problem. and, you may also realise that you are blessed (like i did) because your baby is in a better shape than the rest.
happy.gif

athlete,

i also had one m/c before this one so i was a bit cautious with this pregnancy. my older girl is 2 years 8 months now. she'll be almost 3 when her younger sister pops into the world.

j&m,

i admire you brave mothers who are willing to quit before the baby is born. for me, if i'm really desperate, i'll just take unpaid leave. (thank goodness my job allows that) i've been working at the same job for about 8 years.

hi j&m,
yup, i'm a stay-at-home mum-to-be. sometimes i feel a bit depressed and bored cos always alone at home, but i try to snap out of it for the sake of my baby.

hi naddy,
I quit my job of 8 years last year to concentrate on getting pregnant cos we've been trying for 5 years. since then i took up part-time freelance jobs and quit that in Sep since I developed the condition. So u're expecting a girl? When's your EDD?

hi athlete,

i understand what you mean when you talk about depression. i felt a bit of it when i was pregnant with my older girl and was on medical leave for one week. how do you keep yourself occupied at home? dont allow yourself to do nothing. go to the library (if you can), read books, magazines etc to keep yourself occupied.

yes, i'm expecting another girl. we were hoping for another girl so it's great that we got what we wanted. my EDD is 1 march.

wah! you've been trying for so long? congratulations on a successful pregnancy!! take good care of yourself and hopefully this baby will come out full-term.
happy.gif

Hi! Naddy,

Actually I hope to continue working till I give birth but the work stress is just too much for me. Even before I got pregnant, my hubby has already asked me to quit and look for other job.

Hi! athlete,

I was on a month medical leave since 10 Nov. I am starting to feel bored at home too. For the past two weeks, I can only surf internet and watch TV programmes. I am always looking forward to evening times cos my boy will be back from childcare centre. I wonder how to survive the boredom next year when I am not working.

hi naddy,

ya, read thr the link u shown me....wat u said is true, we should feel blessed that our baby is better than others...

everyday at KKH, seen alot of premature babies coming in and they sort of reminded me alot of the initial days i had with my baby when he was tat small. nw he is already 2 months old but size wise is not comparable to a full-term 2 mth old baby...

doct was telling me if he can maintain his good days forward, he could go home abt 1mth's time.. so i m praying hard...
happy.gif

Back