Any mummies earn extra by investing in Shares at home?

@anna :
happy.gif
hee hee.. you look like you are training in stock trading. Most of us are not and dont really have the time for it since we have kiddos to take care. ha ha ha .. buy stock is just a way to "save" and beat inflation for most mummies here.. hahaha..

Although , i understand that there is some use for graphs and formula analysis. Seriously, it will take some time to be good it at.. and even so there are factors outside the grph that may affect the stock.
happy.gif
Look at Olam.

As a busy mummies, with little patience and time to learn new skill.. I do think that bank stock,sgx, sph are probably best to start, so that you will be able to sleep at night.. hahaha..

They wont give you the high yields as other stock but at least you dun need to spend too much time to study them. Over a long run, they will yield. To me graphs and formulas are only for short term speculation. For long term investment, you have to know the business and believe that the business has potential.

i dun know abt those on the newspapers..
i am using uob-kh, they organised seminars on stock trading.. i think those are quite "safe" to attend.. :p

Anna, I am definitely not being sarcastic. In fact, being encouraging so that you could share more of your personal experience when comes to personal investment.

Cheer on!

Hmmm ... this thread is coming alive! Hurrah!

Good views from all parties. Personally, I have studied the TAs and FAs, the what have you not technicality of trading. But seriously, after decades of purchasing shares from the old days of calling your friendly broker to trading online, its about the feel.

May I suggest we share our personal experience on one particular stock we are faithfully following, and keep the technical jargons to the minimum?

@taitai.. anna is trying to get ppl to join her in some biz venture thingy.. so she got to look good in this thread... :p

ha ha ha.. so far i bought DBS , UOB , SGX and SPH..

interesting thread indeed. Didn't know so many mummies here do invest in shares.

oh dear even Gold Guarantee is in trouble. the same boss who may have bought over some of Genneva's customers is now uncontactable. but still, i'm interested in gold. But would probably buy straight from UOB since they have a platform for buying gold.

i believe in the buy-and-hold strategy and zero in to dividend stocks. yes it may seem like outdated but as a FTWM, i really have no time to monitor the stock market and would perform a quickie DD with FA & TA and select the counter. anyone considering REITs?

<font color="ff6000">And JazzT, I don't need to look good in this thread or any other thread, as I'm not selling or promoting. </font>

If you are posting in so many threads with url to your investment biz/course. i dun see how that can be not promoting... ha ha ha :p

<font color="ff6000">I don't even list any stocks here becos someone may simply use it as a tip, and it can be disastrous, w/o the right fundamental and understanding, and simply buy it. </font>

i think by insisting that taking some courses and you turn to be very good in stock trading, is more disastrous. As you will are advocating ppl to invest in high volatile stocks that has plenty of movement to "read".... ha ha ha :p

True to an extent to know the basic foundations of selecting a stock before jumping in.

For me, not saying I am expert or earning big bucks from the stock market. But I have to say, all my TA knowledge has been shoved aside.

I totally agree that timing is the essence. It's a no-brainer, whoever bought the bank stocks, keppel land, capital land, CDL, SPH etc in 2009 ... you must be smiling. What TAs? It's panic selling by people who are scared and cannot hold, and were chasing the high and wanting more highs. But the true investors and not the least waivered by such panic selling, they continue to hold or load, average down. Now, they will see capital gains, with sound dividend payouts.

I also believed in gut-feeling. Of course, you must pick a sound/reasonable stock to begin with.

Many years ago, when the trend to pick-up reits was in play. Many have neglected K-reit, I have asked many experienced investors, and even my broker but none gave very positive feedback. I did some homework, and felt that this reit has good fundamentals. It's owned my Keppel Group, its office space are almost 100% take-up its gearing was the lowest amongst all reits with just over 20% only. So, I jump in. I whacked lah. Now its my best earning stock in terms of yield, and dividend payouts. But now its trading too high and the gearing is moving north. Time to re-assess this.

Another favourite reit is starhill global. Which retailer does not want a piece of Wisma Atria and Takashimaya!

Any comments on Wilmar? I went in at $3.50, and its trading up. But I feel that come Feb, this will fall below $3.50 again. Wilmar is a cash-rich company.

@taitai.. i still have my reservation on reit cos' i dun like other ppl to mgmt my $$. Feel that it opens up for creative accounting.

Yup.. it's timing that is the essence. And holding power. Why will sell DBS at $7 if they have $$ ? Its those that play margin that are forced to cover.

@san20sg... my dream of becoming a landlord is dashed by the CM7. My hubby refused to put any more $$ into pty. :p now i have to look in other revenue to make better return. ha ha ha.

Actually rental income is the best..quite a few of my retired relatives have >2 fully-paid pty. Every mth just collect thousands from rental and go for holiday mthly.

okay lah.. puteri harbour is good.. alot of service apt and hotels building up.. big names are there..i am sure .. there is potential..
Now, i waiting for the GE to happen then decide if MY is go.

san20sg.. ha ha ha.. if you have guts.. then take olam lor..;P
i still holding on to it since last yr and still dun see a reason to let go without getting a decent profit yet.

My take is on Wilmar now. It's important to understand the business of the company you are investing in.

Olam, too diversify ... I am a bit confused where they derive their income from.

I still buying physical gold bullion coins from UOB. Though some experts say that gold is losing its lustre.

I like property counters, like Keppel Land and Capital Land and CMA. These counters are still under-valued.

But right now, STI is trading a bit on the high side (3200 to 3300) range. May take a step back for a little while. I am holding on till Feb where the second round of Fiscal Cliff discussion ensue. US and Europe are still deep deep deep in the woods.

I like reading Sunday Times - Invest section. Good and easy to read articles.

San, once I have the time I will do a more thorough review on Wilmar. Need to calculate the intrinsic value, which is a very tedious process.

Wilmar is the World's largest processor and merchandiser of palm and lauric oils, as well as largest in edible oils refining and fractionation, oleochemicals, specialty fats and palm biodiesel.

This firm is not just about planting palm oil trees or into pure agriculture. It's more than that.

It studies the most advance way of extracting oil from the oil palm. It's heading towards technology rather than the focusing on agriculture/plantations.

That's why I am very interested in this firm.

Yah .... by then I hope I am either dead or do not live in Singapore.

Anyway, PRs are not stupid. They know the constraints they will face. And seriously, I do not think that Singapore will be an attractive place for people to come work and live.

Our government should solve the imminent problems, they simply think way too far now.

Hi,

Need your advice here. I dont know stock but inherit CKGoh, SBS, Singtel shares for years and seem that vlaue is going down. Except that I will receive some dividend every day? How do I pump in a little more to make it into a passive income?

Thanks!

sigh ... very sorry. Too busy with office shifting and CNY preparations, no time to look at Wilmar's report.

Last year, one of my colleagues did it. And told me that their intrinsic value was around $6 plus. I am unsure about that myself, as I did not see it.

Go to investopedia, they have a calculator on this. I use that. But the thing is you need to look through the past years reports of Wilmar.

I have faith in Wilmar. Will load once it falls below the resistance of $3.64.

i have never played stks b4...n i wonder how do i start?

how much should we start wif if we are 1st starting to buy stks and wan to start small?

dreamer, 1st you need to open a stock account with CDP and brokerage firm (ie DBS Vickers or UOB Kayhian). i think DBS or UOB can help you liaise with CDP, can't remember that part.

the min stock to buy/sell is 1 lot or 1,000 shares. penny stock can go as low as $0.08 (that means $80 for 1k lots excluding transaction &amp; admin fees per sale/purchase transaction). the admin fees shouldn't be more than $50 if you don't buy alot. the more you buy/sell, the cheaper the admin fees.

good to start small. don't expect too much gains from penny stocks (value <$1/share). once you got the hang of it, can go buy more popular counters like blue chips and dividend stocks where the gains are more. HTHs
happy.gif

dreamer,

advice is to first, decide how much money you should be putting into the market. This should be after you set aside your emergency fund.

Your investment fund, therefore, are funds that you are able to risk without losing sleep over.

Stocks are considered high risk instruments. Among stocks, there are different classes - ordinary shares, preferred shares. Retail bonds are also traded on SGX. Warrants as well. So there are many different types of instruments. Investor education is important for any investor.

Investing can be a very emotionally charged exercise. Cannot get too emotional when dealing with investment as well, can cloud judgment.

Many people do lose money in the stock market. Many people do make money in the stock market as well. On a buyer/seller basis, it is a zero sum game unless the company you are investing in generates real value. Before you start, you got to ask yourself, if you are prepared to lose the money.

cheers.

wow, thanks for this!!! read through all your posts and everyone sounds so experience.

i was interested in wilmar and commodities. but my broker advised noble insetead coz at that time wilmar went up to 3.8 already. any thoughts on noble? save for yahoo finance and other stock blogs and reading the company financial statements, any where else?

look at wilmar now .... dropped! You may wish to monitor the chart for the next few days to establish the resistance price or slowly average down.

I think well of wilmar, and will be loading.

Or you all may consider this fund called Singapore Dividend Equity Fund. Distributed by DBS and POSB.

Taps into the blue chip companies largely in Singapore, and pay dividend 4 times a year.

Hi..wonder whether do u all study financial or econ during sch days ....? Or u hv jun Shi to guide u wen u lst started..? Does reading books all by yrself help....? I think wifoutr advice..it's like looking for nail in sea..or m I wrong to assume tis.?

Joanne, it's looks complex. But not so.

I started doing this .... sign-up with any of the local broking firm. Get an access passcode to log onto their platform.

Pick a few stocks, good way to start is to pick the blue chip companies. Track their daily movements, read their annual reports which you can download for free. It's always good to buy on dip. But difficult to time the market.

You do not have to read the entire spectrum of information on the net, just stick to the annual reports, the chart history of the particular stock you are interested in.

When you track the movement of the stock, you will be curious to know y the dip and ups. Read the daily news and you will know.

Once you are used to the momentum, you will have the confident to start investing.

Alternatively, I buy unit trust. There is one, see my earlier post, called the Singapore Dividend Equity Funds. It buys into a group of companies, mostly registered in Singapore/listed in SGX, and pays a quarterly dividend to they investor. Not bad for a start.

actually at wat price is considered cheap and wat price expensive? or do we needto
monitor tat stk price for sometime(rise and fall) before we can conclude?> and if so, wat woudl b a suitable to monitor until?

dun think it's a good time to enter...

The mkt is quite crazy at the moment.
Property transactions continue to be high.
Gold just drop big time.
UK looks like it may be out of EU.
SG Econ contracted 1st qtr.
H7N9 reports.
Boston Bombing.

Looks like something bad is looming, you may want to consider waiting after MY election is over.

UK is never a part of EU lah. They use sterling pound not euro.

I will continue to buy gold and average down as the prices go down. The prices are trading in paper losses, not the physical gold. Don't forget that gold need to be mined, extracted. The expenses of mining gold has gone up many folds, so ... not fret by the falling prices but happy to accumulate more.

Will continue to buy Wilmar and average down as it falls, when it rise, I will sell part of my holdings.

Will look into the fund which I talked about called the Singapore Dividend Equity Fund, which I can buy into a basket of Singapore Blue Chip companies, and reap their dividends.

Comments?

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/index_en.htm

hmm... UK does not use EURO.. does not means that its not part of EU ... *ha ha ha *
EU is more than just single currency. there are trade pacts , financial policies and more...

Aniway, if UK leaves , other nations may follow. Already germans are upset abt paying other ppl debts..
aniway.. here's the news on uk leaving..
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-14/almost-one-in-five-u-k-companies-favor-leaving-eu.html

Gold just drop again today..Cyprus only talks abt selling their gold.. they havent sell yet..There will probably be a further plunge when it actually happens.

As for H7N9, do you still remember SARS ? Overnight asian mkt come to a standstill. If H7N9 can be pass from person to person, then food trading will be effected along side transports and other business..

I rather hoard when the stock plunge or when the air is clear , than to jump in now..

i dun think you shld time the mkt..but at least need to know what is happening ard mkt. Of course, you need to have confident in the stock.

aniway, maybe a good time to pick up some AUD.. now treading at 1.27x down from 1.3 last wk. AUD FD is offering ard 2-3% p.a. Couple with the fx upside.. you may see 4-5% gain over a yr. Pretty decent for now.

Back