Any mummies earn extra by investing in Shares at home?

moorspa (moorspa7),
every purchase is a risk,
even buying durians.

You may see the durian as good ones at the store,
once you bring home, there's worm in it.

Some will just throw it away,
some will still eat the rest which is not affected.

Some will return to the stall & only found out, the stall was closed & owner is never coming back...

Will you make a police report saying that the durian stall owner cheated & sold durians with worms to you?
Or will you sue him?

i am not trying to be cynical in my posting. i hope to bring mummies here to understand this is indeed a gold trap.

the company has only 500k paid up capital , 26mil assest and 26 mil liabilities.Meaning that it's basically if the company declares bankrupte there is almost nothing that investor will get back, given that they have sold 200mil over worth of "gold" or gold option, in some cases.

TLL, i hope that you understand these ppl are not going to police, they are taking Geneva to court. And i dun think it will benefit anyone to bring this before the court, as legal fee will be hefty. Durian spoilt just throw away, at best you lose a thousand for 1 basket of spoilt durian..
We are talking abt ten of thousand , if not millions here and some mummies' lifelong savings...

I understood how you feel given that some mummies here had taken your advise and invested in Geneva. But if there is a real danger in the investment, i think you have to look into situation objectively, instead of insisting that everything is alright. Investors invest at their own risk based on their risk appetite etc. However, to "cover up" then it will make the situation more personal.

TLL,
Thanks for yr explanation, however I do not agree with you. How can durians be compared with gold trading? Like what jazz said, it is a gold trap and many are trapped which you can find the victims in hardware zone forum. The victims involved are trying to get their money back, some who just invested 1-2 mths ago are not getting any returns. So are they just plain unlucky that Genneva hv decided to fold up? Investors are lost and thinking of how to recoup their losses. The investors are not going to the police but bringing Genneva to court, which incurs legal fees. This is a serious matter and people reading this thread should be informed abt this.

Btw, Genneva is on the Monetary Authority of Singapore's Investor Alert list of unlicensed entities.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/problems-genneva-payout-3861300.html
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/money-mind-210/genneva-singapore-complain-group-3861349.html

JazzT,
I totally agree with you.

JazzT (ccjt),
there are people making police reports,
there are people taking them to court.
There are people like me who'll just keep the gold.
Many did ask me for my agent's contact, to inquire more,
I'm not sure how many really took up the deal, because I do not earn anything out of the introduction.
I do know of at least 2 who are very happy with what they had earned over the years,
and 1 who said she'll make police report.

Life long savings are not turned to ZERO,
the gold are still with them, they can still sell them off, now or later...
Sell later when gold price higher if they want to...
What's the big deal?

moorspa (moorspa7),
now calling themselves victim??
If money is rolling in monthly, do you call that a victim too?
happy.gif

When they are happily receiving monies monthly, why not they stopped trading?
If they keep the gold & sell them off 2 years or 20 years later when gold price is higher,
is that still considered a victim?

Anyone who're not ready for risk should not invest in anything,
keeping money in banks... there's risk too... What if the bank have a bad investment & folds up?
Please withdraw all monies and keep in biscuit tins.

Just my 2 cents.
happy.gif

Moorspa: thank for your information from hardware zone. Seem like it's a much bigger than what i expected.

TLL , mummies can only get back less than 60% of what they have invested if they are given genuine gold in some prawnshop. Alot shop has stop accepting their gold already. I suspect the gold purity may have problem and in a few days ,i wont be surprise if no one will be taking these gold.

Still there are ppl that reported that their gold seal are tempered. Some of the investor left their gold in the company. These investor may never be getting their $$ back.

Unless all your gold been collecting $$ for at least 1.5yrs and keep physical gold which label is not geneva and not tempered. I think you are victim of this scam. It is likely that you will not be getting what you had invested. And your lost is not mkt movement but by scammers.

$$ in bank is protected by MAS , at least the first 50k. For bank investment , the portfolio is very transparent, you know exactly where the $$ goes to and how the $$ can be made. It is an obligation for the fund mgr to make accounts transparent for any fund. If investment lost $$, everything is pretty much transparent. It is not true in this " gold option investment".

JazzT (ccjt),
less than 60% off?? How did you get that figure?
If there's anyone willing to sell at 50% off what they pay, I'll buy from them.
happy.gif

Pawnshop not willing to take back?
If you are one of the victim, I can intro one to you who'll take your gold.

Rumors are spread by people who want to purchase them at low lot price.

Now you had spread unnecessary & un-proven news to this forum and making people here panic too,
but are you one of the victim?
No, you are not.

"Still there are ppl that reported that their gold seal are tempered"
Do you know why? No, you don't.
My agent had informed me of this before they do it.

"I suspect the gold purity may have problem"
Any proof? No, you don't.

"Some of the investor left their gold in the company"
Do you know why? No, you don't.

How about sharing with us what you invest on,
perhaps we can take some good suggestions?

BR, Leng Leng

JazzT (ccjt),
are you one of the victim or are you thinking of trading too?

They open-up to do a mico-dot on the gold,
in order to do that, it's required to open the seal.
Don't understand why people used the word tempered.
Perhaps their agent do not explain to them?

It's a 2-way issue, you are afraid that the company will sell you a fake gold,
the company need to ensure that you return them a genuine piece too.
Agree?

What abt those who invested 1 to 2 months and did not get any returns at all? For those who invested for a few years like you are lucky to earn some returns from this investment, but it is those who invested 1-2 mths ago are greatly affected at this time.

Maybe you can share on which banks hv fold up in Singapore due to bad investments, as I hv not heard of any banks hv fold up due to bad investment. Ever since the Lehman company went bankrupt, a lot of investors are affected but I don't hear of any banks being folded up due to that incident.

Everyone knows there is risk in any investment. Why would people choose an investment that will incur losses over a short period of time? By sharing here that such investments schemes are not reliable which is already reported on the news,, so that people can make an informed choice when it comes to such investments.

Is the news reported on Channel 8 unproven and unnecessary? Are the investors who posted their worries in hardware zone forum unfounded?

If the news on TV and Internet are unproven, pls share and show the forumers the proof that these news are not real.

When the seal is tear, it's tempered. No one will tear the seal in the trade, given that it will def lose part of its value. If the company truly want to mirco-dot the gold, they shld replaced the seal afterwards. After the seal is open, there is a possiblity that the gold wgt has has been tempered by scratching the surface/side to remove some gold dust or the entire bar been replace with lower quality gold or even replace with gold-plated replicates.

I am invested in gold, but with uob and mint gold from sg mint/reputable gold shop. My gold are sealed.

I posted so that mummies here will not be mislead into the scheme assuming it's is risk-free. I kept posting because you keep insisting that there is nothing wrong.

Buying price almost 100k, sell price ard 60k for 1 kg. Isnt it almost 40% off. Also to note that prices has drop quite abit since last dec only starting to recover recently. So the lost may be greater if you bought in Sept-Oct

no point arguing abt it. If it's not a scam, the company shld start paying up soon. And everyone will be able to sell back their gold if they want to.

If it is, soon everything come to light. Just dun be blinded and put more $$ in.

JazzT, Sorry to step in but Y keep on 'attacking' TLL. What exactly u want her to do? Apologize? TLL is just another regular investor not someone from the company and she already mentioned that she has her gold. She will keep it and that's it. It's her money and personal choice. She does not need to account to anyone else here. She is not selling or promoting anything here. She is sharing her own personal investment choice and the decision she made after what happened recently when u guys asked her. It's her choice and her money. there isn't any need for anyone to keep harping on it and get so work up.

Posting were not directed to her until she replied directly to us. It was never to attrack her investment choice but to inform others on what happened. It's her defense towards Geneva that is being attrack.

Anyway, enuff being said.

Luisel: I agree with you. This discussion should be left for the professionals. My advice, as an ameteur, however is this:

High gains = high risks!

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

ILPs - read the find prints.
Capital guaranteed = returns not guaranteed.
Returns guaranteed = capital not guaranteed.
First, the fund managers must make money!

Agreed that's y no point/use using this thread to claim victory lap here. Anyone who wants to invest shd approach financial institution or bank and not from hearsay from online. Given the recent happenings, don't need any new investors will just go in like that. It's the current investors who have to make their personal decision and to consider risks and loss involved be it keeping or selling or taking legal actions. It's their money anyway.

FRIENDS... no one is doing any victory lap. dun think anyone is happy to see other mummies lose their hard-earn $$.

It was for info, so that ppl are aware that this maybe be a scam. If someone is trying to proof that it is not, then, of course, it will invite rebuts. It was never meant to be personal attacks.. but if you chose to see it that way,then, it cant be helped.

Friends
Who is claiming the victory lap here? If you read the postings in detail, it is to share info and alert the others that Genneva is a scam.

JazzT is sharing the news reported on channel 8, and I was surprised to see a number of articles on Genneva in the Internet, and those investors affected in the hardware zone forum. It is no small news, but TLL keep defending Genneva when we are just merely sharing the latest news on Genneva.

To all forumers,
If you hv the time, do read through the archive thread. The postings shared by michael(mtyh) 2 years ago has accurately described the current situation. He was trying to educate and warn others abt Genneva.

I think investing in ILPs would be much safer as an investment tool than buying physical gold. Personally, I have heard negative news regarding Geneva too, so probably not going to try. I will stick to ILPs

<font color="0077aa">Merz Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 5:14 am:
There r no two scam which are same. The only common part is they take money from u, provide high yield n then run away w ur money. And usually only the earlier "investor" benefit from the scam, becos these "investor" r required to help promote/ advertise/ convience the later "investor". The scam works becos of people's greeds n ignorant on the way the company make money.
</font>
I think this is happening now. Earlier investors are trying to play down news so that other mummies dun panick and start to sell or bring the company to court before they do. REmember company only havr 500million pay up capital. And hopefully, other naive mummies will be entice to invest into the scheme to ensure it continues to pay.

No vested interest in the company is bulls**t.

Boliao ppl like me will raise this up cos' i am afraid too many ppl in this forum is involved in this scheme already. they are also scared that the scheme will collapse before they get their $$ back.

JazzT,

Well said, I totally agree with you. Many forumers have been posting alerts and warnIngs to this Genneva scam 2 years ago til now, but it all fell on deaf ears while somebody continue to spread the benefits of investing in Genneva in this thread. Only the naive ones will believe in the Genneva crap.

LouiseLS (san20sg) : why you worry abt her.. her timing is perfect. Go in 2-3 yrs before the entire thing collapse. Interest she has collected is almost 70% of the amt invested. She just need to try to make ppl continue to put $$ in or at least ppl dun take their gold out .. so that she may get more dividends.

Sorry if i sound kind of harsh... but her comments abt geneva is totally inresponsible and disgusting.

How the scheme worked
Straits Times
2 Oct 2012

GENNEVA started operations here in 2008 and fast became a talking point with its promises of returns exceeding 20 per cent a year.
The gold trading company, with offices at Orchard Towers, offered a scheme where the customer buys bullion at a premium in return for regular payouts.
For example, if the gold price is US$1,500, a 1kg bar would cost about US$48,000 on the open market. But Genneva would mark that up to about 20 per cent higher, or US$57,600.
Every month, the customer gets a payment from Genneva of 2 per cent of the purchase price, which works out to US$1,152 in the above case.
If the customer wanted to sell the gold back, Genneva would buy it at the end of one month or three months at the purchase price.
A customer could opt to either hold the physical gold himself or leave it with Genneva. The minimum investment was the price of a 100g gold bar.
Genneva is said to have between 10,000 and 20,000 customers here.
The firm is connected to a Malaysian company that is under investigation by Bank Negara Malaysia.

Gold trading firm taken to court by customer
Straits Times
25 Sept 2012

Genneva Pte Ltd, a gold trading company offering a "buyback" scheme, appears to be in hot water.
At least one customer has recently won an interlocutory judgment against it in the Subordinate Court, pending an assessment of damages. It remains to be seen, however, whether she will recover her claim of about $190,000. Genneva failed to respond to the writ of summons or to contest the case.
The plaintiff, Lee Bee Ghok, is represented by Goh Kok Yeow of De Souza Lim &amp; Goh.
A second writ of summons has also been filed in the Subordinate Court claiming a total sum of roughly $86,000.
A number of other customers are also looking into launching a lawsuit against the firm for its alleged failure to honour its part of the agreement to buy back gold. One group of about 60 customers, representing a total of roughly $10 million in gold purchases, is understood to be consulting lawyers.
Genneva is on the Monetary Authority of Singapore's Investor Alert list of unlicensed entities. Its scheme basically sells gold to customers at a hefty premium of 20-30 per cent. Customers, however, are told that they enjoy a "discount" of about 2 per cent off the headline price.
They are given the option to sell back the gold after a pre-agreed term of one month or three months. The gold can be sold back at the headline price and customers get to pocket the so-called discount. Assuming monthly rollovers, this could mean a return of as much as 24 per cent a year.
Genneva's website lists a price of $96 per gram as at August. This is the equivalent of about $96,000 per kilobar of gold. UOB, which offers gold investment services, sells gold to the public at about $74,500 per kilobar.
Sources said that the firm had also offered a "safekeeping receipt" (SKR) scheme some years ago, where the customer does not take delivery of physical gold. The gold is held by the company for safekeeping, and customers can exercise the option to withdraw via a "sellback".
Genneva director Leow Wee Khong could not be reached. Calls and e-mail to the company were not answered.
More recently, a source said, customers were marketed a scheme similar to SKR, but under a contract linked to a Malaysian company.
BT understands that in the last few months, customers have not been able to sell back their gold. Agents are also owed commissions for up to six or seven months. Customers that BT spoke with managed to make at least one rollover, earning 2 per cent, after which some invested yet more money.
Spot gold price touched a high of US$1,888 per ounce last year. It is now trading at US$1,759.
Customers who bought from Genneva are in a bind because of the high premium paid. Those BT spoke with paid between $91,000 and $93,000 per kilobar. UOB will buy back from the public at about $69,400 based on yesterday's indicative prices.
Some customers are believed to have filed police reports. A police spokesman said: "It is inappropriate to comment on police investigations, if any."
Based on Genneva's latest available filings, 2009 revenue came to $236 million. Assets totalled $67 million and liabilities, $68 million. Paid-up capital came to $500,000. The company was registered in 2008 with four directors, three of whom are Malaysian.
The three Malaysians - Marcus Yee Yuen Seng, Ng Poh Weng and Chin Wai Leong - are also directors of Genneva Sdn Bhd. They are being sued by Bank Negara in Malaysia for alleged illegal deposit taking and alleged offences under anti-money laundering laws. The case is ongoing.
In Singapore, there are four apparently related Genneva companies registered as businesses. Apart from Genneva Pte Ltd, there is also Genneva Remittance, set up ostensibly for remittance services, and Genneva Syariah, described as gold bullion traders and dealers.
In March, Genneva World Pte Ltd was registered also for gold trading. It has six Singaporean directors, one of whom is Mr Leow, the Genneva director.
Customers are concerned that assets of Genneva are being transferred to Genneva World, which is expected to trade on a similar business model. Sources say that some customers have been invited to transfer their contracts to Genneva World, but they are asked to keep 30 per cent of their gold holding with the company.
Genneva's model appears to fall into a grey regulatory area. Because there is typically a physical purchase of gold, the company is not classified as an investment adviser. The so-called discount that customers are extended is also not described as a yield or return.
Meanwhile, on its website, the MAS warns against schemes that dangle high returns, citing gold buyback schemes. It urges customers to question how the returns are generated, and whether the operators are regulated.

All mummies and investor-to-be, beware! IF it's too good to be true, it probably is. Just wondering, someone in this thread looks like an "agent" from Genneva. Remember, anyone can open an account in this forum, and anyone can claim that he/she is not an agent. BEWARE!

Genneva's news is on The Business Times today as well. I am not so well versed in investment but the explanation from Michael (2 years ago in this thread) is simple enough for me to understand. I am glad my $$ are parked in relatively safer stocks in SPH and banks which gives me a dividend of 6-7% p.a. Happy enough. Hope all those affected can get back some $$ to minimize the loss.

It is interesting how the General Manager's letter worded like it's their staff's fault - it's like blaming the staff of an illegal drug trafficking ring.

Leng Leng: I hope you'll stop defending or promoting genneva and do your conscience a favour

Some safer investment vehicles for those who are not investment savvy:
- CPF special account / SRS
- Index Funds (e.g. STI ETF)
- Low risk unit trust (check fundsupermart)
- Bonds (except those that says high-yield)
- Some stocks look very safe, but they might not be. So choose stocks at your own risk. SMRT is one good example.

The stock market is very quiet, with little activities going on right now.

I have read the Straits Times, and many analysts have advice that the current stocks are under-value and oversold.

I love the blue chips like SPH, SATs, the banks shares but they are way too high to go in for now.

What are the other counters that are worth a look? Wilmar, Ezra, Yoma?

Anyone has an opinion?

I guess for stock, cannot look into short-term gain as the mkt is pretty unstable now. Dividend paying blue chip is the way to go esp. SPH, SGX are pretty good dividend stock.

Also when shares drop to a low level, there is possiblity of M&amp;G or sharebuy back so. Esp APB shareholder , suddenly get a wind-fall. :p

Currently, i am holding olam , yanlord and DBS. More as mid-term investment (2-3) yrs and decent dividend. In term of business fundementals , they are quite safe in a long run. I am not so optimistic abt telco outlook because of their revenue is eroded by applications such as whasapp , skype and tango.

I am into gold as well but with the banks. Good reason for it to go up in the next few mths with the QE3 announced. Recently also take the plunge into property mkt and bought an RCC unit, wait too long at the sideline until i scare no house to stay.
Interest rate is at a very interesting juncture. My ANZ mortgage loan is 1~1.1% while my deposit with some banks can hit as high as 1.25%. Leveage with caution.

Good time to consider gold.

I am looking into buying physical 1 oz gold coin from UOB, especially, gold purchase is now GST exempted!

Yeah. I also thinking of change my paper gold with uob to physical gold.

Just keep in mind to diverse your portfolio cos no matter how good the investment seem now. It will still have some down-side risk.

Well sad to say that those who insistently persuade more people to join are doing so for selfish gains... how else do you think they can continuously get the few percent interest every month. Only with more people joining, then they can continue to gain from it or take the chance to exit... if nobody join, it will collapse!

I have been long enough in investment field to see the ugly truth of companies and bosses 'opening and sharing' their wealth. What companies and the bosses said and what you see in the media, take it with a pinch of salt. There is much craft that goes into what is presented to the public.

Take heed, it's never a level playing field in investments for us commoners.

This has been at the back of my mind for a few days.
I hope this geenva thingy don't have a ripple effect in this forum. It is unknown how many mummies have been scammed and who are they .

Rival gold players offer 'rescue plans' to Genneva clients
3 October 2012
Straits Times
(c) 2012 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

They will buy back gold but clients have to put money in their schemes

TWO rival gold trading firms are offering "rescue plans" to some customers left in limbo by the legal problems besieging Genneva.

The Gold Guarantee (TGG) and Asia Pacific Bullion (APB) said yesterday that they are willing to step in and act as a bullion buyer and offer alternative investment schemes.

Police raided Genneva's Orchard Towers premises on Monday and took away boxes of documents and computer hardware. A similar raid was carried out in Malaysia. The office here remained closed yesterday. A police spokesman declined to reveal the nature of their investigations.

Many Genneva customers have reportedly been unable to get their monthly payment from the company, which has also failed to fulfil its buyback guarantee. Its agents have been unpaid for a few months.

A financial expert warned customers yesterday not to rush into any new products.

Genneva client Rachel Seah, 52, was also not convinced. Ms Seah, who has invested more than $200,000 in Genneva, said she telephoned TGG to find out more about the "rescue plan".

"I have to be in the TGG scheme for one year. What if the company experiences the same problem? I will lose more than I already have lost."

Genneva sells gold to customers at a premium to the market rate. Gold was about $70 a gram yesterday. Genneva would have quoted a higher price, say $100 a gram, to customers but with a 2 per cent discount or $98.

The customer has the option of selling back the gold every month or every three months at the pre-discounted price - in this case $100.

If they repeated the transaction every month, assuming this $100 price stays, they would make $2 a month or a 2 per cent return every month. In a year, they could have made as much as 24 per cent in total, dwarfing bank interest rates.

Genneva also guarantees that it will buy the gold back from the customer after a pre-agreed term.

But the firm's legal woes have put the process on hold, leaving customers stranded while investigations are carried out.

TGG in Boat Quay said it will buy back gold from customers at a premium. Customers have to join the TGG programme with the money received, for a period of six or 12 months. Each month, customers will get a monthly payment of 1.2 per cent of the sum put into the programme.

A TGG agent told The Straits Times that the company has a "different management and business line" from Genneva.

APB has said it will buy back the gold from Genneva customers, also at a premium. The customer must then put this money into APB's silver programme, with a lock-in period of one year.

A check of the company filings show that the owner of TGG and APB is Mr Lee Song Teck.

If customers want to withdraw early, they may have to pay penalties of up to 30 per cent of the money invested.

Mr Eddy Cheong, head of financial planning at Providend, warned customers against jumping in too fast.

"Customers need to be certain that the other companies will not fall into the same predicament as Genneva, so they won't end up in the same situation," he said.

"I'm not sure whether customers should repeat the same old process again."

Mr Cheong added that customers have limited recourse when such companies go bust as their activities are not regulated. The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) also does not accord consumers any protection when they deal with such entities.

Genneva, TGG and APB are all listed on the MAS Investor Alert List.

This offer sounds similar to those time share transfer / buy back scheme. Please do research into these companies before investing. Check out their paid up capital... this amount will more or less tell if they're going to be a fly-by-night kind of company and their ability to compensate if things goes awry.

Hi jazzT,

The Genneva scam already has a ripple effect in this thread due to TLL sharing. I hope mummies do not believe blindly in what investors share on the internet as it is a place where people get scammed easily. A lot of mummies and daddies has given a lot of tips on what to look out for in investments and pls pay attention to alerts/warnings given by other forumers.

Pls read below:

<font color="0000ff">Tan Leng Leng Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 8:12 am: </font>

Dear maymama,
that's not very new news leh.

This scheme was not accepted in Malaysia,
because under muslim law, they are not suppose to receive pay-out without "working",
something like that.
They had already sorted out with the authorities &amp; now Genneva Sdn Bhd is still active in Malaysia,
with their had office in Kuchai Entrepreneurs Park, KL, Malaysia.

I've been trading with them for a few years already,
I'm getting pay-outs every 3 monthly.
If this company closes down, I'll just keep the 999.9 solid gold for my children as dowry.

For "Gold Label Pte Ltd", it's really a scam,
they do not sell "solid gold",
they sold paper gold, gold certificate.

I've shared my trading with many mummies here,
lots of them have bought &amp; 2 had became agents themselves.

Nope, I'm not an agent for the company,
if you want to know more, I can introduce my agent to you.
He was introduced to me by a mummy from this forum too.

If you have good lorbangs, pls share with me too.

HTHs &amp; Good Luck,
Leng Leng

Anyone here can give some advice on high dividend stocks?

The bluechips are riding too high, any hidden gems somewhere that I may miss out?

Market down today.

all i can say..i wont be putting any deposit with any bulk purchase organisers as well as spree organiser for the next few mth.

Most women are not savvy investors. Overly conservative. Have not met anyone here or outside who invest broadly to maximise their retirement nest.

All just save in the bank.

No sound tips or sharing of informative information here.

ha ha ha .. dun belittle woman leh..

Many times.. it's the woman in the house that "save" the man from major pitfall..

I know of many woman that are the CFO of the family. And made quite abit with their real estate investment for the family.. slow and steady..

@Anna : though it great that you consider the potential downside.. however, who will invest not intending to make $$ ?

Jazz, not talking about saving their man or family.

Talking about those who are working or secretly saving 私房钱 ... but dunno how to invest so that they could grow their retirement funds.

Frankly, how many women in this forum can rely on their man? Many came here to complain how incompetent and disappointing their men are. Including me ... ha!

Is there anyone here who care to share their experience in investing in stock/shares?

Like which are your hot favourites, and why?

Does anyone here buy gold bullion coin from UOB?

Let's "jump" into real-life experiences rather than talk about 口渴了,要喝水 issues. I believe all know that high risk, high return, low risk, low return.

But I always believe in an equilibrium in the long-term. Some can make quick bucks within a short-term period. It all boils down to personal experience.

Actually our opinions does not really diff... but i believe that is some pretty safe investment tools now. SG Bond for 1 is quite safe. You are "guranteed" principle after the period and given fixed return. Generally higher than bank interest rate. I park $$ there which i cannot lose but have no immediate use.

I was playing gold and FX sometimes in 2011 when there was big movement. Earn quite abit but i find that i have to spend too much time monitoring it.. so i took the $$ out and placed in blue chips. DBS at ard $12 , UOB at $15 ..
happy.gif
didnt really trade.. as i hate to see the prices going down by alot.. however, these are shares that are pretty safe in the long run, those up and down caused by news , i really dun bother nw.
So far the shares has rose by 20% in value.. and along the way, i have also collected dividend. And have no intention to sell as i believe there is still quite alot of upside with limited downside.. as long as you can hold until 2015. pretty sure it will double by then.

I have gold bullion.. they dun really appreciate that much since end 2011.. i just keep for keep sake lor..

Gold cant really earn you alot of $$, unless you buy a fair bit but it quite high risk given prices are "manipulated" by central banks. I rather put into sg bank share, sgx and sph also not bad..

some may not agree with this.. but when i buy stock i normally buy what i think is "safe". If the stock drop until very bad.. i just leave it alone. Once i buy quite a few lots SGX at 6 and it drop until 5+ for a period for more than 3 mths.. i just leave it there .. since i have faith in the stock..
Sure enough 4 mths later, it rebounce to 7..
happy.gif
if you want to play stock , then you need to "trust" the stock that you buy.. then you ahve a better sleep at night.

I have to agree with both Anna and Jazz strategies and the former's analogy.

In general, hold ing stocks on a long term basis, is a better deal than people who go in and out. However, if you identified a company that you wanna invest in, one have to check the financial health of the company. When you enter to buy, ensure that you are buying below the intrisint value and not when the stock is trading at all time high for no special reasons. Review your portfolio every 6 months if you have a long-term view. TA is .... i must say not relevant for long-term holding of blue chips.

Bank shares in Singapore are relatively good investment in the long-term, they give out good dividends, and right now they are still under-valued, so there is still room for capital gains.

As for gold bullions -- as mentioned a good long-term investment. I delicate 20% of my overall investment fund for gold purchases. Yes, its all about capital gains, gold does not reap dividends or interest. Pick them up as there is a downward trend.

You must remember that gold's demand is high, not just for vanity purposes but for industrialised purposes. Also, as the exploitation, extractions and the labour cost goes up for gold mining, the real value of the precious metal will also go up. Slowly, steady is for gold. Keep it if you have young kids. Funds will be ready when they need them for tetiary education.

Instead of looking at TA, calculate the intrinsic value of the stock, to know its position now. If its overvalue, don't buy. If it's undervalue, buy.

This is only an example only. Assuming ABC company is trading at $1.00 now, after calculating the intrinsic value, which gives $0.50, you will know it will be a good buy, cause the real value of this company should be at $1.00. It will allow a captial gain of 100%.

Should the stock climb beyond $1.00, you know its time to let go. Lock in your profits.

The intrinsic value as defined loosely is the price that the company is worth, and what price the market is willing to pay.

It is more for people who would invest in a company in the long-term.

taitai.. you are more savry.. i just buy what i like.. ha ha ha ha...

so who say wify cannot invest ?!?!

if you are not so sure abt stock.. i recomm you buy bond lor.. pretty sure bet.. but maybe not so attractive return but decent 3-6% p.a.

Jazz,

No lah, I am not all savvy. I have been buying shares for 10 over years. Started with punting with the old aunties in my company. They buy, I buy. They lose, I lose. But those years, the market is very volatile. 3 days up, 3 days down. Can earn quick bucks by playing contra. Win a bit, lose a bit. So it's ok.

But slowly I gather information here and there from the expert. Prefer not to look at the screen everyday. I go for blue chips company, and don't time the market anymore. Of course, whenever there is a market downturn, I go in and whack blindly at the blues. Like in 2009, just take your pick on any of the STI 30 components companies, I believe anyone will be grinning ear to ear now. DBS, UOB, OCBC, all the property counters .... crazy lah.

But now, take cautious ... a lot of uncertainty, but I am unfazed since I know that even if the counters I have invested in fall, it may not fall to those levels again. But I would love to pick up more if they really do.

Common sense, if our 3 national banks, and local property counters fail -- in extreme sense go bankrupt, the whole of the Singapore economy can also say bye-bye.

But I still do punt, by looking at the TA charts on some counters. Just to horn my skills.

Anna here seems to be more of an expert. As she appear to know a lot about looking at the TAs and FAs.

Perhaps she will share with us on any of the counter she is monitoring now and give us her views.

Back