Any mummies can share their experience with birth defect Hypospadias?

Starrymum

i saw a separate thread that a Mummy with her Son seeing Dr Yap TL from kkh.
My Son is 3 and has this condition detected since birth and has been seeing Dr Yap since birth. Dr Yap mentioned just yesterday that he is now ready for the reconstruction surgery.

Actually I told Dr Yap I would like a second opinion and she recommended me Prof Anette Jacabson, which I will see her in Sep 2018. Just googled and actually, they are the best pd urologists in kkh.

Dr Yap mentioned my son’s Hypospadias is extremely rare: covered Hypospadias. She has only performed surgery for 2-3 cases in her entire career. The op will need 5-6 hours and 2 weeks stay in the hospital.

I read up about leaving it untreated and seems like it’s not the best option as it affects; self esteem, size issues, peeing issues and sexual activity, which I dunno if it’s worth the risks.
I’m more for the surgery, and if so, would like the surgery to proceed ASAP since he is ready. I do not want him to remember too much of the trauma.

Any other mummies seeing other Doctors or even go for second opinions?
Any mummies with their sons underwent the surgery before? Where was it done?
Can you share the stories?
Is it successful?
What to expect after the surgery?

Hi Starrymum...

I just send my son for Hypospadias repair... his is Coronal Hyspospadias...5y.o n just did it last mth end... we are seeing Dr Cheong Yee Ling from KKH... she n her team did the ops. Her team n care was superb i must say.. very gentle lady Dr.

Yeap procedure took abt 5 6 hrs ..plus recovery frm OT... after ops my boy was fully awake n showed no symptoms of discomfort or pain due to the Caudal injection to spine(to numb the area)- usually kids gg for hypospadias repair they advice on this jab and oso they will hav morphine on drip...

Post op they will put him on drip n morphine n monitor by Anaesthetic Team will review ur child if they need to off the morphine drip n put him on oral medications.

Antibiotics lactulose n anothr medication (for bladder spasm) with paracetamol will b given daily...
Yr son will be on stent with the urinal cathether... 1st plaster removal is 6days after post op n 8 days ltr another plaster removal...on 10th post op day they will remove the stent n frm there they will review ur child... if he can pass urine on his own...then they will discharge u...

After surgery care...expect alot of TLC to b given... since ur son is 3 ...i guess he will b more cranky... cus even my 5yo is phobia after few days post op n has been difficult...
N wen he slp...just need to monitor dun let him toss n turn...

Hope tt helps...

Hi Ekin

Thanks for ur inputs. It was very helpful. Can I know how Long was your Son hospitalised? Does he need another operation?

I understand that there is a need for a procedure before the surgery to assess the penis. I forgot the name of the procedure but GA is required as well. Did you do the procedure before the surgery on the same day or you did the procedure separately from the surgery?

Dr Yap initially suggested doing the procedure on the same day and then make the decision for the surgery after that. But I felt that it was too rushed and too many things in a day. I wanted to do it on a separate occasion. Wonder if there are any differences? Dr Yap mentioned it’s up to our comfort level.

Speedy recovery to your darling Son and sending hugs to you while taking care of him. Awaiting your further inputs when you are available. Thank you for ur time.

Hi..

thanks Mummy for the wish!

may i ask ...how distant is ur son's hole? mine considered as Coronal Hypospadias...

My son was hospitalized for 9 day 8 nights... on his 9th post op day(fri), right after the Dr morning rounds to assess him n Dr Cheong left... his stent was leaking.... well... we panicked of course but as per nurse its normal...however they will update the Dr...

Dr came abt 2 hr plus n soon after they decided to remove the stent(instead of waiting for Monday removal) which will b 12th Day post op...

As per Dr this is a successful op as chances of failure is 10% ... well maybe becus his condition is considered mild. So i believed no need for a 2nd one....unless(touch wood) the new hole blocked or close up ...

2 wks before Ops, there will b follow up with the Dr in charge...3 days prior to Op... blood test will be taken and there will counselling by Anaesthetic n Surgeon team....
On day of procedure he will hav to fast frm last Midnight as his procedure is at 830am.

Hi Mummy Ekin

Thank you so much for ur inputs again despite caring for ur Son.. hope he is recovering well..

About the distance, I’m not so sure myself. Not very familiar with the penis... with closer look, I can see that his penis is a bit bent and the foreskin is very thin. The hole is not properly covered up but he can pee properly. I only know the condition is covered hyposadias and it’s the least common type of the condition.

We are going for the second opinion on wednesday with Dr Jacobson from kkh and maybe I can check with her..

Can I know if ur son’s condition is detected at birth? Why is the operation only at 5yo? Is it an exclusion from insurance? What ward did you stay after the op?
My son’s condition is detected from birth and he was born premature at 35weeks. So he is not covered from this condition in the insurance and we will need to pay it using Medisave and cash. Because we are under the private scheme, not much subsidies for the hosp bill. I wonder how much I should cater? I have 10k at his CDA and the remaining, I plan to use Medisave.

I’m feeling very uncomfortable hearing that he has to be injected with morphine and the numbing agent into his spine... but I Guess it’s all for the better right?

Sending you lots of hugs and chocolates! stay sane.

Hi Mummy Ekin

Thank you so much for ur inputs again despite caring for ur Son.. hope he is recovering well..

About the distance, I’m not so sure myself. Not very familiar with the penis... with closer look, I can see that his penis is a bit bent and the foreskin is very thin. The hole is not properly covered up but he can pee properly. I only know the condition is covered hyposadias and it’s the least common type of the condition.

We are going for the second opinion on wednesday with Dr Jacobson from kkh and maybe I can check with her..

Can I know if ur son’s condition is detected at birth? Why is the operation only at 5yo? Is it an exclusion from insurance? What ward did you stay after the op?
My son’s condition is detected from birth and he was born premature at 35weeks. So he is not covered from this condition in the insurance and we will need to pay it using Medisave and cash. Because we are under the private scheme, not much subsidies for the hosp bill. I wonder how much I should cater? I have 10k at his CDA and the remaining, I plan to use Medisave.

I’m feeling very uncomfortable hearing that he has to be injected with morphine and the numbing agent into his spine... but I Guess it’s all for the better right?

Sending you lots of hugs and chocolates! stay sane.
Hi Mummy,

No worries i hav been back to work after 2 wks on leave...

My son has been recovering well.. thank God for that... Wound healing well just that he will experience itchiness near to his penis n scrotum area... he has eczema but this is the 1st time he had it since his ops. I believe it may b frm the stitch thread that is still within the penis area ... tts why after every toilet trip i wash him n dap dry... n apply E.O ..

Hypospadias has different position of where the urine came out. ( as per attached) Foreskin is usually thin i supposed cause my son is like that. They circumcised my son as well as the foreskin is needed to cover up the hole during op. If its bent hopefully it wont b too severe cause my LO was straight...

My son condition.was detected at 2 1/2 yrs when he got Balanitis. We send him to KKH A&E n tts wer we found out abt this condition as they State it in the diagnosis. We decided to prolong the op till he was 5yo because at 3yo he was very Hyperactive n we wouldnt want much complication. They did advice us on doing it earlier but because he was too active we decided not to as being tt age they might not be able to relate much to us(i.e pain... pulling of stent... pulling of iv drip)

We stayed in single bedder ward.. didnt pay any amount yet(as of now) as admission was by my Hubz L.O.G so we dont need to pay deposit. Insurance was claim by Hubz company and if there was any balance they actually deduct frm my insurance. He also used my Medisave.

Regarding morphine...he was on it for 1 1/2 day..very little dosage as it all time n computed so it will b given automatically. They took it off n give orally. For that day or as and wen required. He was off morphine since day 2 onwards cause i dun want him to b dependant on it. Was on paracetamol of 17.5ml every 6 hrs... ibrufen was given once only after removal of stent.
All this depends on you...whether u need the morphine thereafter. wenever my son woke up in d middle of night crying of pain...instead of giving him painkillers i taught him to do deep Breathing technique n relax before he doze off himself.

The numbing agent is only awhile...something like epidural. Its advisable esp those kids gg for hypospadias repair(they will calculate d dosage with his height n weight). n esp after waking up frm the Op so they wont feel pain....

Thank you Mummy...im still sane so far minus off my sleepless nite due to waking up forcing him to Pass urine....

If there is anything else u need to know just ask... will share my experience n assist to ur qns
Hypospadias.gif

Hi Mummy,

My son has been recovering well.. thank God for that... Wound healing well just that he will experience itchiness near to his penis n scrotum area... he has eczema but this is the 1st time he had it since his ops. I believe it may b frm the stitch thread that is still within the penis area ... tts why after every toilet trip i wash him n dap dry... n apply E.O ..

Hypospadias has different position of where the urine came out. ( as per attached) Foreskin is usually thin i supposed cause my son is like that. They circumcised my son as well as the foreskin is needed to cover up the hole during op. If its bent hopefully it wont b too severe cause my LO was straight...

My son condition.was detected at 2 1/2 yrs when he got Balanitis. We send him to KKH A&E n tts wer we found out abt this condition as they State it in the diagnosis. We decided to prolong the op till he was 5yo because at 3yo he was very Hyperactive n we wouldnt want much complication. They did advice us on doing it earlier but because he was too active we decided not to as being tt age they might not be able to relate much to us(i.e pain... pulling of stent... pulling of iv drip)

We stayed in single bedder ward.. didnt pay any amount yet(as of now) as admission was by my Hubz L.O.G so we dont need to pay deposit. Insurance was claim by Hubz company and if there was any balance they actually deduct frm my insurance. He also used my Medisave.

Regarding morphine...he was on it for 1 1/2 day..very little dosage as it all time n computed so it will b given automatically. They took it off n give orally. For that day or as and wen required. He was off morphine since day 2 onwards cause i dun want him to b dependant on it. Was on paracetamol of 17.5ml every 6 hrs... ibrufen was given once only after removal of stent.
All this depends on you...whether u need the morphine thereafter. wenever my son woke up in d middle of night crying of pain...instead of giving him painkillers i taught him to do deep Breathing technique n relax before he doze off himself.

The numbing agent is only awhile...something like epidural. Its advisable esp those kids gg for hypospadias repair(they will calculate d dosage with his height n weight). n esp after waking up frm the Op so they wont feel pain....

Thank you Mummy...im still sane so far minus off my sleepless nite due to waking up forcing him to Pass urine....

If there is anything else u need to know just ask... will share my experience n assist to ur qnsView attachment 704219

Hi mummy

My son’s op is scheduled in feb2020. Can I check if take ur Son off school prior to the op? I understand that he cannot go for the op if he happens to be sick 1mth before the operation. I wonder if it’s worth the risks to put him in school and risk him missing the operation. My surgeon’s schedule is so packed and if I missed it, might need to wait for long for another date.

My Son is 3 and has this condition detected since birth and has been seeing Dr Yap since birth. Dr Yap mentioned just yesterday that he is now ready for the reconstruction surgery.

Actually I told Dr Yap I would like a second opinion and she recommended me Prof Anette Jacabson, which I will see her in Sep 2018. Just googled and actually, they are the best pd urologists in kkh.

Dr Yap mentioned my son’s Hypospadias is extremely rare: covered Hypospadias. She has only performed surgery for 2-3 cases in her entire career. The op will need 5-6 hours and 2 weeks stay in the hospital.

I read up about leaving it untreated and seems like it’s not the best option as it affects; self esteem, size issues, peeing issues and sexual activity, which I dunno if it’s worth the risks.
I’m more for the surgery, and if so, would like the surgery to proceed ASAP since he is ready. I do not want him to remember too much of the trauma.

Is it successful?
Hi Starrymum, can i check whether your son have performed the surgery? My son has the same condition and he is now 19 mths. Appreciates if you can share your exp.

Hi mummy

My son’s op is scheduled in feb2020. Can I check if take ur Son off school prior to the op? I understand that he cannot go for the op if he happens to be sick 1mth before the operation. I wonder if it’s worth the risks to put him in school and risk him missing the operation. My surgeon’s schedule is so packed and if I missed it, might need to wait for long for another date.
Hi Mummy..
Apologies for the super late reply...
I put him off school 3 4 days before his op...tt is to prevent him frm catching any viruses... I mean depends on ur boy.. If he is prone to catch d virus take him off school 1 wk before d ops...
N we make sure he urinate properly before putting him back to school.
It will b a tiring period to care for ur boy but don't worry.. He will be perfectly fine thereafter...
All the best mummy.

Is it successful?

Is it successful?
Hi Starrymum,
Is your son still seeing Dr Yap TL from KKH? My 4 year old son is currently seeing her too and has scheduled a Hypospadias surgery in Nov 2020. By the way, did you go for the 2nd opinion? I’m hesitant- not sure if I should go for 2nd opinion or just stick to current doctor.

Hi mummy

Hi Starrymum, i guess your son's surgery is being postponed at KKH? My son is suppose to go for the surgery yesterday, however was postponed by KKH due to the coronavirus. My son is seeing Dr Rambha Rai, but i did not hear or see much comments about her. however, she seems nice. My son is turning 4 yrs old this year and he as postponed 3 times because of phlegm and cough issues. Hence this time round, i was really cautious, yet its postponed again.

Yes.. it’s postponed..
I waited for the op since Apr last year cos I gave birth in Aug (lucky no2 didn’t have this condition) and then Dr Yap’s schedule was full... sigh. We are scheduled to see Dr Yap again in Apr this year and then get the surgery date again. Is ur son’s condition serious? We had actually started applying the testosterone cream and prepped for the surgery but told to hold and wait.

Hi Starrymum,
Is your son still seeing Dr Yap TL from KKH? My 4 year old son is currently seeing her too and has scheduled a Hypospadias surgery in Nov 2020. By the way, did you go for the 2nd opinion? I’m hesitant- not sure if I should go for 2nd opinion or just stick to current doctor.
Yes, we went for second opinion with Prof Jacobsen. But the diagnosis was the same. But the difference is was Prof Jacobsen didn’t diagnose it to be as serious as Dr Yap. We went ahead with Dr Yap as we have been seeing her since birth and she is a reassuring doctor with very good bedside manners. Hopefully my son’s surgery can proceed soonest as I cannot deal with the uncertainty and also the Long wait. Big hugs.

Hi Mummy,

If there is anything else u need to know just ask... will share my experience n assist to ur qnsView attachment 704219
Hi mummy, just checking is your son recovering well? Since it has been more than a yr from the surgery. Hopefully so... ‍♀️

My son is diagnosed severe hypospadias since birth , he is 1 yo now and met Dr Sim from KKH mentioned his penis size is small and only can have surgery after 3yr or maybe later ard 5yo...

i am devastated....

i need opinion / experience sharing on below (how u all deal with ... )
1) how to go cc for toilet train ? will he being laugh if he squat to pass urine? how this will affect him psychologically ?
2) how to increase his penis size?
3) what is the surgery cost for severe case ?
4) any surgeon (have a lot of success surgery experience) to recommend , so that i can seek for second opinion?

thanks all , god bless...

My son is diagnosed severe hypospadias since birth , he is 1 yo now and met Dr Sim from KKH mentioned his penis size is small and only can have surgery after 3yr or maybe later ard 5yo...

i am devastated....

i need opinion / experience sharing on below (how u all deal with ... )
1) how to go cc for toilet train ? will he being laugh if he squat to pass urine? how this will affect him psychologically ?
2) how to increase his penis size?
3) what is the surgery cost for severe case ?
4) any surgeon (have a lot of success surgery experience) to recommend , so that i can seek for second opinion?

thanks all , god bless...
Hi hi

Pls don’t feel devastated. I am new this forum n found this thread. I understand how u feel as My boy also have this condition.

Hi my son also with mild hypos we have been seeing kkh for a while until I saw this forum and change to dr yap. Our first visit when 2 was communicated as operation is a better option but I went on second assessment recently now 3 dr yap says his as a mild case has no effect on fertility but concern over peeing issue as he gets bigger and hole remained small. Dr yap suggest maybe to wait and review to see any pee complication when he is bigger if no complications can do away w op
anyone has similar condition or anyone didn’t do the hypos op? Pls share

Hi Starrymum, i guess your son's surgery is being postponed at KKH? My son is suppose to go for the surgery yesterday, however was postponed by KKH due to the coronavirus. My son is seeing Dr Rambha Rai, but i did not hear or see much comments about her. however, she seems nice. My son is turning 4 yrs old this year and he as postponed 3 times because of phlegm and cough issues. Hence this time round, i was really cautious, yet its postponed again.

Hi Sandie. Have your son gone through the operation with Dr Rai? How was your experience with her? My son is currently seeing her as well and i am considering whether to stay with her or change to Dr Yap as there are not much info about her. TIA

Hi all, my son was diagnosed with hypospadias at birth and his is also a serious case. Penoscrotal hypospadias. He is 2yo turning 3 this year. I am also starting to look at how we can toilet train him first prior to the surgery because hardly they operate children at such a young age! I am glad we have this forum to share with each other our experiences and support one another in this. :)

Sorry, may I know what is the normal length of penis for newborn? Mine newborn penis looks very short. Dr says is hidden penis. Just concern. As I not sure what is normal

Hi all, my son was diagnosed with hypospadias at birth and his is also a serious case. Penoscrotal hypospadias. He is 2yo turning 3 this year. I am also starting to look at how we can toilet train him first prior to the surgery because hardly they operate children at such a young age! I am glad we have this forum to share with each other our experiences and support one another in this. :)
Hi there
Hope your son doing well. I am researching and found this thread.

My son is turning 4yrs. He is scheduled for a ops soon but I do not feel comfortable w the Indian doctor coz he "burn" my son earlier during a keyhole surgery. Now this is a major one. I am looking for any suggestions.

He has Penoscrotal hypospadias. Any review about Dr Wong Zeng Hao (Thomas Medical)?

Back