Any good pre-nursery, nursery , childcare at yishun/sembawang?

porkchop
i think is up to individual parents bah. To me i prefer small individual class size as well as total number. They do not jus interact with students from own class. Oso for PJP the kindergarten kids r upstairs while the nursery are downstairs. It has been proven that they did very gd measures duuring the times when HFMD strike... To me, teaching methids as well as caring teachers r more impt...:)

I think everyone have their own priorities, so whether be it Star Learner or PJP, as long as its fits our requirements, i guess there's no right or wrong. Just hope everyone is happy with their choices in the end.
kao_sticktongue.gif

Hi porkchop1109, have your gal started with Star Learners? Thinking of visiting them. What is the best time to vist? Thanks.

Any star learners mummies can share their experience with me? Thanks.

Hi Irene, Orange, Bellebelle, Jing, Jocelyn and Bloom. Read from the above that your kids are with Star Learners, how are they coping? Is the centre extra enrichment lesson expensive? Would like to know more about their daily programme. How you find the teachers? Any complaint so far? Thanks.

valerie, my gal will only be going star learners in sept... ahha..so cannot comment.

According to what I can remember , enrichment starts from N2.. $42 for speech and drama and $35 for gym.

Actually I visited both PJP and SL. I love the way the teachers teach at PJP (my gal automatically join the enactment when we were there for viewing)...but the premise is abit small and hb prefer SL.

Hi Valerie,

My daughter did cry during the 1st week, but now she is adapting very well with the new environment. She participate in all the activities and I can see that she is very happy and the teachers also dotes on her. I guess I had made the right choice.

I had actually visited them 3 times, all different timing, before I enrolled my daughter. I would suggest you visit them in the morning. That is the best timing to visit any CC.

Hi bellebelle, thanks so much for responding.

I read somewhere that SL uses processed food, is it true? Are the kids being occupied all of the time or will they be left to play on their own most of the time?

Can i just walk-in without any appointment?

porkchop, when is your gal starting with SL?

bellebelle, during your 3 times visit to SL, the supervision attended to you without appointment?

Ha..ha.. that's what i think also. But i guess no harm checking.

Dear mummies of Star Learners, your feedbacks are really valuable to me, please share. Thank you.

Hi Bloom, how is your gal adapting so far, can share your comment.
Visited SL premises, like the space but yet to check on their curriculum.

Hi porkchop, have your gal started with SL? How old is she? Any feedback so far.

Thanks.

Hi Valerie,

I've just come across this thread as I'm also exploring childcare option in Sembawang for my 27 month old. I've visited SL and PJP recently, and both Hb and I prefer SL. For me, I prefer the space and the open learning areas as my personal opinion is that at this age, they should not be confined into small classrooms, no matter how good the curriculum is. I am rather bothered by the claustrophobic classrooms in PJP, while HB is super bothered by the flight of stairs going up to the 2nd floor. He thinks it is an accident waiting to happen. I asked Ms Su if there's been any accidents on the stairs, and she responded "Not so far...touch wood". Hmm...not exactly reassuring. I also prefer the way SL handled our center visits over PJP. However, reading through this thread, it does seem that preference is very subjective, but still it'll be interesting to hear what other mummies have to share
happy.gif

Hi babymakes3, so glad you chanced by this thread, welcome on board. My HB has the same thinking about PJP's staircase and super bothered about the run-down condition of the Semi-D and that's why he prefers SL. But i have yet to meet the Supervisor of SL to learn more about their curriculum. So when is your girl/boy starting with SL.

Anyone has idea of SL's premises lease term and will they increase the school fee next year? Thanks.

Hi Valerie, our nanny has plans to move once they get a good offer for their place. My HB wants to start childcare for my gal right away, but I'm looking at earliest this Dec or Jan next year, unless the nanny moves first. I did enquire about school fee increase because I was quite taken aback to learn that it is $300 after subsidy (was expecting more after touring the place). However, the principal was quite non-committal, and said that if there is any increase, it will not be more than the $700 as indicated on the MCYS website.

How old is your girl/boy?

Hi babymakes3, my girl is 3 yrs old.
I have checked, SL do not serve processed food. Your timing is also what i have planned. Hopefully i can finalised by end of this month. Did you visit Shooting Star near SL?

Hi Valerie, we chatted briefly with the friendly lady cook, and I noticed that some kids are pretty fond of her. She came out to mingle briefly with the N1 group while they were having their snack.

Oh we did notice Shooting Star on our way in, but didn't have time to visit. Did you manage to check it out? I think my Hb is pretty set on SL, but always good to keep options open
happy.gif

Ya i was introduced to this lady cook, she seems like a "granny-type" to me, soft mandarine speaking person. Very friendly too.

No, i only have time for SL that day.

Hope that more SL's mummies can share their comment here. Thanks.

hi mummies,

was checking this thread and went on my cc recce just ytd.

was disappointed with SL.

i was there at about 1030 and it's still so unorderly - crying children everywhere, a young malay teacher just sit with her class waiting for the children to settle down 2 were crying she just look so fed up and gives a 'cry bah, cry until you stop' look.

then the bathroom was full of screams and cries and i heard the teachers/ or aunties screaming on top of their lungs. the room was closed but i deliberately request to view can see some hesitation, and when i did see, the whole place is such a mess. also, i was told that room (area used to dress the children up) was also meant for some other activities room (music or dunno what)...in my mind i'm curious why a 'wet' room used for some other dry activities esp since the lady who showed me ard the place kept stressing how big their place is she's indeed full of pride for that huge compound.

then another thing that annoy me - i saw the teachers changing the N2 children in the classroom and the naked girl is walking around with the boys around...i mean, should separate the boys and girls when they get dressed, rite?...

shooting stars is more orderly when i went. the children are preparing for their concert and their enthusiasm and happiness you can really feel! i even danced with them
happy.gif
unfortunately they charge too high (can't rem' how much but much higher than SL tat's across the road)and another concern the principle (who is also the boss) is a chinese (as in china - no offences) lady i've doubtful if she knows the 'local syllabus'...and when i went to the backyard, another super young chinese lady is the teacher, watching the class having water play. hb and i doubtful how is she going to care for so many (about 6) after water play, not done promptly children will catch a cold.

perform @ junior is great! i like their experiential approach. the principal is v professional. unfortunately the place is really too small...and when i go, it's chinese lessson and 1 third of the class is not paying attention (as in, she's unable to capture their attention or maybe because there's guests so the children look really distracted)

last but not least, i checked out little greenhouse montessori. have always wondered why nobody comment on this in forum.

now i know.

well, again no offences - but it's a muslin school. there're only 4 adults there-2 malay teachers (including the principal who looks super young), 1 malay cook and 1 chinese teacher from china. when i go the children are waiting for their meal. mostly indians and malays. only a few chinese. even then their occupancy is not full - about 20-25 students all in. i must mention the place is the cleaniest among all.

hope the above reviews help, u really need to go down to see which is suitable for your child.

Thanks gretel for your info. After reading your post, SL really worries me. I agree with you that they should separate the girls and boys. Please share with us if you find a suitable cc for your kid.

sigh...my child is actually with eager beaver but it is precisely becos i'm not totally satisfied with eb tat's why i went hunting for cc ALL OVER AGAIN...

so now got to cont' w eb even thou it's not ideal...eb has great management and staff are v delicated. the place is big and brightly lit (something i really like) food is good too...but my son has been changing teachers..it's disruptive lor... but i tink tis is a COMMON prob in this line.

i've a fren who is a cc teacher, she reveals to me their work to many is v 'eng' but responsibility is huge cos every small little thing parents complaint - they are seen as baby sitters and educators and all in one yet at the end of day, their pay is pathetic. it is tough to find good, passionate, teachers who WILL STAY.

well, will cont to look out but i guess not much choices since i've checked out sbw and yishun already...

valerie, i am back!

yes, i agree with u.if only PJP can move to a bigger compound then it will be perfect hahaha...

my gal is at SL now (today is her 3rd day). First day she went there, we keep her company till 9am+ then her teacher bring the class to the playgrd at the back of the compound and distract her and I left. She didn't see me for the rest of the day (hide when i visit her, once during nap, once when she queue up to take school bus). Her teacher said she only cry abit (not sure how true it is).

BTW, they do show kids cartoons/songs in the morning and evening.

Gretel, the teacher you saw could be my gal's teacher.

BTW, read from PJP thread that PJP is full till next yr.

Welcome back!

I guess no teacher or cc will tell us that our kids cries the whole day...

Cartoon in the morning is a NO.. no.. for me. There is a lot of things to do, why do they have to watch cartoons??

Anyway, thanks Bloom for updating.

Valerie, when I visited them, I thought (could have rem wrongly) that there is no tv in the morning, only evening while waiting for bus so i was ok cos my gal is taking bus (the most 1/2 hr tv?)

But on first day saw them showing videos (nursery rhymes) before assembly time for the kids who finished breakfast.

Bloom, i think they are under staff and that is "the best way" that they can pre-occupied the kids while waiting. But actually, they should have a library corner where all children gather before assembly to cultivate their reading interest, even just flipping the books to see pictures is good.
The primary school now are encouraging the children to read in the morning before assembly.
Or even free play is better than switching on the TV.

hi bloom , how old is our gal?
i am also thinking to go to SL or PJP...
i like PJP of the nice feedback alot of mummies cmt here ... but too bad its full till next year.

hi anyone has comments on emmanuel educare?

the principle of PJP tells me it's around the corner too but i haven't got time to check it out that day...

still on my cc hunt. haiz!

Val, i feel likewise as you. tv is NO NO in the morn..it's the most convenient to baby sit but i feel is the lazy way...actually tv below 2yo is not recommended by child educators at all i read...

gretel, any ideal what the address for emmanuel educare?

Me too cc hunting still...

Let's jia you together cc hunting mummies!!!

Happened to see this, this is the address.
From PJP, turn right and walk into the terrace houses, turn left and turn right, it will get you to Jalan Malu Malu.
If you go in by the road along SSC, go straight all the way (will pass by the church), and turn right. It's a few units ahead.

Emmanuel Child Educare
29 JALAN MALU MALU, 769646, Singapore
p: 68528361

hi ... I have been to Emmanuel during my CCC hunt in end of May...they are the only one that I have come across that provide web cam service...

Mummies can log on and watch their kids 'live' from the web!

We didn't choose it because my hubby prefers PJP's teaching method & I'm happy with what the rest of the mummies' comments on PJP!

Gretel,

I differ from your opinion regarding the CCs. Firstly you visited SL during bath time but Shooting Star at curriculum time. Of course, bath time is much more chaotic. We had been to many CCs even branded ones such as kinderland @ woodlands civic centre and “highly recommended” LV@RP (you can read from the forum) and it was always chaotic during bath time.

You also commented that the boys and girls are showering in the same room, this also happened to Kinderland. And did you check with PJP and other CCs? It may be common in every CCs.

Watching TV is common in CCs, they have different time slots for them to watch. Such as bathing time in PJP, morning and evening in LV@RP and SL. As long as they are watching educational program, I should think is fine. Would appreciate if you can find a CC that don’t allow watching TV, please let me know.

Valerie,

I think SL is not under-staff. Please check again with the supervisor what is the teacher student ratio. I have seen others CCs that are worse. You can check with LV@RP.

When my gal first joined SL and for your information, the teacher did inform me that my gal has been crying the whole day for the 1st week.

I am not here to defend SL, I just want to provide feedbacks for all mothers. I will not hesitate to withdraw my gal from SL if I encounter any bad experiences or I can find a better CC.

Hi porkchop, glad you put-in your part about SL, Is good that you feel so strongly to pen your comment down that shows that SL is not that bad at all. How old is your gal now?

And gretel, i agree with you about the separation of boys and girls during shower, especially if they are N2 and above. I may suggest it to the supervisor when i meet-up with her.

But i realise not much is being mentioned about SL curriculum leh..

So Bloom, are you celebrating your gal's birthday in the CC?

Hi Valerie,

Been rather busy to check this thread much, but if there's one thing I realized from reading the inputs, it's that diff pple can observe similar scenes play out, but come away with diff interpretation. Guess there's really no right or wrong, just a matter of subjectiveness.

I was at SL around 10:30am too when it's bath time for N1. From what I observe, there was no major chaos or any screaming going on. Maybe they were having a "good day"
happy.gif
I couldn't check out the closed bathroom as Cindy says they were having their bath, so fair enough. I then went into the room where 1 little girl was getting dressed, while the rest was playing with toys in the room. I didn't think of it as a "wet" room though, and wasn't really expecting a CC to dedicate a room for dressing up. So guess this is where expectation differs. For Kinderland Civic Center, if I remb correctly, the kids get dressed in their N1 classroom, which I thought was quite a distance from the bathroom.

Gretel's point about N2 boys and girls getting dressed together is interesting though. Wonder what is the practice with other CCs? If I remb correctly, SL has a separate toilet for boys and girls, can't remember if PJP has that too.

As for curriculum, SL is based on a thematic approach, with all activities, play and learning centered around different themes. They have speech&drama and gym classes at additional charges, which is acceptable considering the CC fees is $300 aft subsidy. I'm guilty of not paying attention when Ms Su was going through the curriculum, as there was 1 group of kids doing sand play, another bubble play and a girl (her 2nd day there) crying her heart out right next to our table on the front porch. The poor girl kept going for her big haversack, and I kept imagining that was my little one
sad.gif
So I must admit I did not come away as impressed as other mummies here. I do remb the morning news reading session though. The morning water party at SL also made an impression with me.

Agree with you that finding the right childcare is tough. Though after looking around for some time, I'm somewhat clearer as to what I'm looking for. Joked with Hb that it's almost art+science. Science because we need to know the facts, and then assess based on our priorities. We have our own set of priorities, some of which cannot be compromized (e.g. safety), while others we'll consider if it's acceptable or if there's any mitigating factor. So is a thematic learning approach acceptable to us...well, yes.

Art - we need to visit, observe for ourselves and reply somewhat on gut instinct. Also understand the personality of our child and if the environment will be suitable for him/her. And we as parents would be the best judge of that. For e.g. my girl has always require a bigger personal space for herself, and I need to find a place that can respect and provide for that.

Just my personal 2 cents' worth, though it's so long-winded
happy.gif

Wow babymakes3, you can really write. I enjoy reading all the feedbacks here.. its always good to have a 2nd, 3rd, fourth opinions.

When i met ms cindy, she told me that the children are bathed one by one, so does it sound like there are more than one kid in the bath room?

I enjoy reading the feedback too...find it interesting how points of view can be so varied
happy.gif

It was quiet beyond the closed bathroom door, so I can't really say. But there was just 1 girl getting dressed, while the rest was fully clothed and playing with toys in the room...so I guess should be one by one...

That sounds good. Safety is one of my top priority. So have you register with SL?

Bloom & porkchop, any special event in SL for the coming hari raya puasa holiday?

Hi mummies, this thread seems very quiet.. any updates on star learners. Really appreciate any form of feedback please. Thanks.

hi i think why not u go there and see and judge for yourself?

i think there have a lot of mummy giving some feedback and its quite hard for others to really said good or not good, i think its still up to individual and your child, if ur child do not like the school, no matter how good it is also useless ...

although there is alot of good cmt of PJP, but there is no vacancy, so even if u want that school, there might not even have space for it..

SL is big, so it might seems messy as compare to other smaller school.

valerie, miss ur postings (usually use the last 24 hrs search.. hahah)...

most prob i wont be celebrating my gal's bd there... too lazy to organise :p not sure abt hari raya but they do have a playday during children's day (brought back some 'gifts'). have u brought ur gal to the ccs to see her response?

babymakes3 , what is this thing about news reading session?

oh, forget to add. re bathing at SL, SHOULD be one on one basis... cos thats how my gal bath her toys nowadays (ahahaha). She cannot communicate well so I cannot ask her exactly how they bath her :p.

Hi Bloom, happy to hear from you. We are planning to bring my girl to SL to check her response soon. Anyway, heard that there were 2 HFMD cases 2 weeks ago during my 2nd visit to SL. Hows the condition now?

As for bathing, i saw the teacher bath 4 N2 children together and some of the children are already undressed wrapped in a towel "waiting/playing" outside the bath rooom. It was explained to me that this is the 2nd half of the year and the kids are familiar with the procedure.

Melody, thanks for your post. The purpose of this thread/forum is to share information, yes ultimately it will be our choice but its good to have some insider information if possible.

Hello to all mummies. Interesting topic here. I went thru a period of searching for the right cc for my boy too. And i visited LV at RP, NTUC, PJP and Star Learners. The latter two as the hot topic here.

I was impressed by the big space at star learners but felt abit overwhelmed by the no. of students too.

I felt claustrophobic by the small tiny rooms at PJP otherwise it would be perfect.

After much contemplations and discussion with husband we decided on PJP.

I think each CC has its pro and cons and every individual has different needs so one really need to visit the cc to find out if it is suitable.

My boy is happy at PJP and i have no complains. But of course i be happy if they have a bigger classrooms.

Oh ya went to cherie hearts also. Its not an easy task choosing cc. Have to see the environment, teachers and students, cirruculum. + price. Hee.

Valerie- Hope u find the right cc soon! Ya its good to bring ur gal to check it out as she must be comfortable with the cc.

Back