Any comments on Music for Young Children

spideyspice

Any mummies send their kids to Music for Young Children? How would u rate their program and do you find it beneficial. Wud like to hear some comments.

cheers

Yes... I sent my girl to Macs (at Forum) when she was 2+..v good as kids can pick up music play by ear v well at that age & she enjoys it v much...+ can socialize in the group class.. she's still in this sch.. Music is supposed to be good for stimulating their creative side of their brains at this age. Lots of young kids there.. but it's q expensive lor

hi, i'm thinking of sending my son to MYC as well, but not sure which branch is good. Anybody has kids in their school?

My son is at JE branch... they encourage the parents to send the children to the branch that is nearer to the home... reason being convenience and not so tiring for the kids...

their lessons not bad... engaging and interesting.. can consider

Hi, I'm hoping to sign my child up for a Sunrise class (for 2 - 3 yrs old) at MYC @ Jurong East. Class time is tentatively around 4 or 5pm on Sundays. Currently need one more child to sign up(making at least 3 students) before they start the class.
Anyone interested?
Can contact Ms Sannly at Tel: 6100 1316 / [email protected]
She's a helpful lady.
Can also visit these websites for more info:
www.myc.com
www.mycsingapore.com

Music for Young Singapore -- please don't bother to waste your time. a lot of homework for parents and kids. two parents in my group dropped out. Another friend whom I recommended was told to stop her child from attending the last two lessons becos the kid was vocal and active in saying "I want to go home and "oh toodle". teacher in sembawang branch, a mother herself, does not know how to garner or engage preschoolers' attention. that's why i dropped out. she doesn't even bother to do much storytelling unlike what it was said to me when i first signed up for the course. again it lies with the teacher who is not understanding but spends her time talking to other parents about her preferences for primary school. I rather stick to conventional music schools.

elizabeth
this is strange becos my girl is attending music lesson at MYC Sembawang too and we do not have any prob with the teacher.

would you like to share the name of the teacher?

Any feedback from mummies who are sending their kids to MYC? I heard the curriculum is very fun but there's lots of homework and practice required. I can understand the need to revise and practice because I learnt as a child myself. Once a week is simply not enough, so reinforcement teaching is needed by the parent.

I'm interested in signing up my son for the Sunbeams I class (5-6 yrs old, entry level) at Jurong East. Are the teachers there are experienced and good? I was told that they will need a minimum of 3 children to form a class and they are currently looking at a new class on Thursday @ 7pm time.

My son is a student there but he is in Sunshine class. I find that the homework is not really alot. Usually do 1 or 2 pages per week. As for practise, will have to do daily and the duration is not long. About 5 mins. But for Sunbeam maybe will be slightly longer since it's consider advanced... I dunno the other teachers during the time slot you are looking at but Sat teacher (Christine Koh) is not bad. Patient and class is fun.

Would like to share my experience with MYC.

My son was with MYC (Sembawang) playgroup daily program last yr when he was 2 yrs old and he look forward to going to school. As I personally do not hv any music background, I do see that my son learnt alot from this program. Currently he is in Sunshine class. Thumbs up for MYC.

Min & chubbyfishes,
Thanks for your feedback on MYC. Is the MYC program really suitable for 2 year old children? My youngest daughter is turning 2 in June, but I can't imagine her attending music class anytime soon because she's so shy, yet very active. I only decided to start my son now at age 5, then realized that people have been sending their kids much earlier. Are their fingers strong enough to press the keys at 2-3 years old?

If you know anyone interested in the MYC Sunbeams I class at JE, do help me spread the word as I'm still waiting for a new class to form. Thanks!

their fingers won't be strong enough at age 2-3. I think this age, their focus won't be on piano but to read and understand music and the notes..

Hi BabyD,

You may quote my son's name, Leighton from
MYC Sembawang, so that you could enjoy a waiver of $30 registration fee if you enrol with MYC Sembawang or MYC Jurong East

Foreverfriends Honey,
The cost is $420 for a 12 week term, works out to $35 per lesson or around $140 per month. I think they charge by per term basis. Are you interested? You can contact Ms Sannly to ask more questions. Tel: 6100 1316 / [email protected]

Chubbyfishes,
Thanks so much! I'm quite excited about going with my son to MYC. Just keeping fingers crossed and hope the class can start soon. =P

babyD
Too bad they dun hv sunrise class in Newton branch. Jurong and Sembawang r too far for me. I stay in the East
Thx for your reply

Hi Chubby_fishes,

I didn't know MYC has a daily playgroup program. How did you find the program and how long is it? Is it in the mornings? BTW, how much does it cost?

I would like to go down within a week or two to find out. Thanks.

Hi anyone sending their kids to the Newton Branch? I am looking for feedback on MYC Newton, and their teachers for 4-5 yrs old. Planning to send my kid there.

Thanks.

MoMoMom,
Newton Br has only one teacher, Angela. My friend sent her kids there. Her feedback was that she's got very high standards as a teacher and is very fun and creative, but also quite strict. She also has a unique fee structure, not only does she charge more than other Brances, you also have to pay a deposit that will subsequently be used to pay for Term 3 fees.

That's why i didn't sign up with her, cos I couldn't be sure my son wouldn't drop out after Term 1 or 2. I'm still waiting for a new Sunbeams I class at the Jurong Branch (my son also 5 yrs old). I heard the teachers there are quite gd, they have more classes so it's also more flexible, plus don't have Newton's deposit fee structure.

babyD

Thanks for letting me know. Then may be I should try the Jurong Branch then.

My girl is only 4.5 yrs old, can she join the sunbeams? What time are you looking at? Are you joining an old class or forming a new one?

MoMoMom,
Sunbeams I is an entry level class for Age 5-6. For entry level, we only have the option of forming a new class and it's subject to availability of slots & teachers. I'm looking at weekday 7pm slots (previously they were exploring Thurs 7pm in April, not sure if that's still open) or weekends, but weekend slots are v full and usually not available. When does your daughter turn 5? Is she in K1 or Nursery this year? You might want to call up the Jurong Branch to ask them directly. The pace will be quite fast for Sunbeams I, because they have to cover everything that Sunshine I and II covers. My friend showed me the syllabus, it's v fun and stepwise learning, but parents have to be involved and help the kid to practice.

Thanks babyD.

She will be in K1 only next year.I want her to enjoy the class, so may be should go to the Sunshine class first. OK, will call them to check.

Hi all,

Heard that JE branch is planning to start a new Sunshine I class on Sat 7pm. Anyone interested?

I'm hoping that there'll be enough students to form a class that my girl can join.

Hi chubbyfishes,

May I know the teacher's name who is teaching your son in Sembawang.
Waiver fee will be waived if mention your son name Leighton?
I'm keen to let my child attend classes in Sembawang.
Do anyone know how many teachers are teaching there and any recommendations?
Thanks

On MYC, I did have a similar experience whereby the teacher refused my kid to continue with the programme without reason. No regrets because I signed up my kid with Cristofori's Little Mozart when MYC ended. And fabulous, he looks forward to Little Mozart classes and has been there for a year. My experience tells me the teacher matters a lot. MYC may offer a good program but it boils down to how the teacher executes the program and engages the kid. My experience was not pleasant with MYC because the teacher did not engage the kid and focused on chatting with parents about primary schools. Not even giving praises to my kid when he showed her his homework. no encouragement. with Little Mozart, they use American Alfred series and the teacher is very engaging. it is heartening to see my little one play on the keyboard at the teacher's prompting in cristofori. but thanks to the teacher at MYC sembawang branch, i manage to find a better teacher and programme for my kid. u can try myc if you want. this is my experience which i share with u.

Reactions: Poi
I'll not recommend MYC too as have bad experience with them too.
Very poor service and co-ordination work.
Not a word from them after registration for 2 months.

Hi gingerspice can share with me which branch of cristofori u send your kid to?
I thought of MYC too but was quite horrified when my girlfriend showed me the home work that the parents have to do...

Thanks in advance!!

Dear ALL,

I'm a piano teacher, currently have students staying in Bishan, CCK, Woodlands, Yishun, Yio Chu Kang, Toa Payoh, Sengkang & Cairnhill.

If you're looking for piano teacher, please PM me. I'm not leaving my contact no. here because i have been receiving a couple of nuisance calls. Appreciate ur understanding. Thanks

Ms Tan

Hi chubby_babies

I just registered my son for the Sunshine Class at JE. And I had taken the liberty to use your son as reference. Sannly agreed to waive the registration fee for me. I hope you don't mind and wish that he will enjoy the class like your Leighton.
Thanks again.

Hi
My son is 2 1/2 (born Sep'08) interested with Sunshine Class at JE too. Chubby_babies, can I use your son name as reference too to waive registration fee?

Hi mommies,
Any current reviews for MYC? We've made few inquiries and ms sannly has been very helpful. I'm looking at newton branch but waiting list is ..... A very long wait.

I really appreciate if mommies who's child has graduated at grade2 share thoughts on how much difference does a normal music centre differ from MYC? Will my child learn less in a normal music school?

TIA

Hi CC,

You can consider MYC tampines. It is the latest MYC branch. But the teacher Nicole there is experienced with children group music class. You can call 61001129 to enquiry.

Hi, would like to share about the course. My son is 3.5yrs old. We started sunshine 1. My son has been to 2 music schools before a friend recommended me myc. I was worried by the amount of homework and worse, getting my easily distracted son to practice. after attending about 2months, I saw my son's progress. He's able to absorb concepts being taught in class through fun stories, able to "read scores" and play simple songs with 2 hands which to me is not easy for my son as his fingers were not ready. Best of all, he looks forward to the daily practice. I think no matter what program we enroll our kids, we still have to practice with them. The only difference is myc pushes the parents to do so. As I'm still in the beginning stage of the course, I can only offer these information. Hope it's helpful for parents considering the course.

Hi, I would also like to share my experience on MYC. My son is in the Sunbeam class with MYC hougang branch. he's really enjoying the lessons and is progressing well. i agree with Jules'Mum, no matter what the kids are learning, practice is a must.

Hi mummies

my girl is turning 4 in April. We've met Teacher Angela in the Newton branch but she needs another 3 kids to start a weekday (pref Tues/Wed) afternoon Sunshine class. If you're keen, do PM me ;)

Hello mummies,

I chanced upon this thread while trying to search for reviews for MYC. Thank goodness!

I have a 3 1/2YO boy and a coming to 2YO boy. The elder boy has been attending Yamaha Music Wonderland for 2 terms (since the entry age of 3). So far he is quite ok with the class but lately I can see his interest waning, as every week the same songs are sung over and over again. Though percussion set is used at times and the kids get to touch the keyboard (in the form of 'banging' or pressing 2 keys on the keyboard to create some sound effects), I think my son prefers something more interesting than just these, esp to learn to play.

I can see that both my boys love music. MYC as I noted seem to offer a very interesting program to engage the children. The only minus point is the classes have to be parent-accompanied almost all the way. Not sure if my hubby and I have the stamina to do that. Whereas for Cristofori, the MLM group classes for 3 1/2YO to 5YO need not be parent-accompanied.

Actually I am quite torn between Cristofori and MYC. Ultimately I would like to get my boys formally trained in piano (like me), so I am wondering if MYC can do that or I should go straight to a normal music school like Cristofori.

Am looking at Cristofori at Anchorvale CC or Rivervale Plaza, or MYC at Hougang.

Any advice/feedback?

Music For Young Children is quite good. My son has been learning for a couple of years. Their lessons are interesting and they make remembering notes easier. Their lesson plan is pretty standard: Rhythm stories, soflege & practising on the piano.

yes, agree! my son enjoy so much! My son was with MLM ( music for little mozart) before i enroll him for the sunbeam 1. I think is important for me to sit in, now i can see how the teacher intro a concept, how my son learn. i feel MYC teach more than what my son learn in MLM last time. We had completed level 1 and 2 with MLM, but my son still do not really know how to play on the piano, may be it more on dancing, music appreciation but now with sunbeam (myc) he can play everyday and look forward to music class. teacher Nicole always reward them for good practice. my son is so excited! Always remind me that he want to practice. As the parent, i am really happy and look forward for the composition and harmonization part which i think most of the music school do not teach.

Hi,

Appreciate it greatly if anyone can recommend a good teacher from JE branch?

I have a 5 year old boy who has problem concentrating, he's easily distracted and has difficulty focusing on his task. so I need a teacher who is patient and delivers the lesson in a very interesting manner, but still firm enough to guide my son.

I know it's probably a lot to ask for in a teacher, but will really appreciate it if anyone has such a teacher in mind.
happy.gif

Thanks a lot!!

Any latest update on MYC JE Branch?

Am considering to enrol my 3yo boy for music classes.

Any info will be helpful!!! Thanks!

Hi I enrolled my child in myc program previously in sembawang , found that the sch / principal/ teacher is not so tolerant of kids who don't sit down quietly and listen to the teacher. The class also discontinued for a long time without any notification so wasn't impressed at that time. The sch also doesn't welcome make up classes so if u missed a class , then just too bad . Think better check the make up class policy before u sign up .

Back