AN UNFORGIVABLE DOCTOR'S NEGLIGENCE

rachel90

THIS IS MY STORY AND A COMPLAINT LETTER I AM GOING TO LODGE TO THE SINGAPORE MEDICAL COUNCIL AGAINST THIS PEDIATRICIAN. (READERS, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS ISSUE)

RE: Complaint against a Pediatrician who neglect his medical duties—
failure to detect a newborn’s cleft palate condition at birth.

I am extremely displeased, horrified and upset with the pediatrician, who examined my newborn at the hospital. He did not discover that she has a congenital disorder--- Cleft palate. My baby is therefore discharged as a healthy baby. We don't know problems are on its way—very soon.

At the hospital- 30 August to 1 September 2008

My poor newborn has not been able to latch on since birth. There are many efforts from the lactation nurses but still in vain. Milk is coming out of the nose and she's gasping for breath when she drinks. NOBODY care to find out the underlying cause. I ask for help but the nurses say burp the baby will do as there's too much wind in her stomach.

How my baby suffer….. How our family suffer…..

Does anybody know my poor baby is suffering in silence each time she drinks her milk? She is hungry, she is always crying. She wants to suck the bottle teat for that little drop of milk, but all the teats are too hard for her.

I tried all sorts of teats until I gave up and cut the holes big enough for milk to flow into her mouth. She just swallowed and swallowed.... Finally she can sleep well with a full meal.

However, this is not the end….. the milk keep coming out from her nose during and after each feeding. And she will cry out loud because she is suffering in pain. She is out of breath. Every day and night was too distressing for all of us. I would jump out of bed in the middle of night to check if she would choke on her breathing, check if milk comes out from her nose again. It’s so tiring so stressful.

8 October 2008- My baby visited a pediatrician due to flu

This cleft palate is only discovered later by another pediatrician. I have consulted other doctors and a cleft surgeon who told me that if this is discovered much later (after 1 year or more) will have serious consequences. Speech development will be much hindered, middle ear infection leading to hearing loss etc... Such consequences are very detrimental. How can newborn examination be taken so lightly? I am very certain that the pediatrician has neglected his duties and may lead to possible extent of damages to my newborn and our family.

The emotional stress we are going through can be prevented right from the start if the hospital PD has not neglect his duties. Should we be informed she has cleft palate initially, our family will not be going thru so much frustration, confusion and distress. My baby will not be going thru so much physical suffering in silence. Now I am using a special bottle and teat and being advice on correct feeding method for cleft palate babies. It’s such a relief and at last my girl can drink her milk PEACEFULLY...................

(Hi Readers, please tell me if you want me to PM you the name and clinic of this doctor. I am more than willing to disclose as I do not wish anyone to suffer the same fate as me.)

I am also considering of filing a medical lawsuit claim against this PD too. Readers and Mothers, I hope to hear some advice from you all too.

Thank you

Hi Rachel,

i felt for you.
Hope your gal and u are doing well now.

Interested to who is the PD but u dont accept PM.

Hi Rachel, i feel so sorry for ur bb. Hope she's doing fine now. But i am confused, isn't cleft palate condition visible? As in to own eyes? I understand that cleft palate bbs need to undergo a no. of operations to correct the hearing & inner cleft thing. Can u pls pm me the hospital PD as well. Thanks.

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear what your baby and the family have to go through because of the PD's negligence.

I heard the medical fraternity is closely-knitted and they tend to defend one another.
sad.gif
Nevertheless, I would also file a medical lawsuit claim against the PD if all evidences show that he is negligent.

Do PM me the PD. I wonder if my two girls are seeing this PD or not.

Hi Rachel,

Sad to hear what you have go through, hope everything is fine now and ever...... =)

I would like to know which hospital you deliver and the PD's name & clinic. please pm me.

Thanks & take care...

hi rachel,
so sorry to hear about wat had happen to u and bb. my cousin bb got this problem too, but the Pd was able to see and treat it. can u PM me the PD name.

Thank you readers for listening to me. Just to let you know we are coping well now and moving on....

My girl is ready for surgery when she is 6 months. now she is only 2 months.

I really find her very brave to have endure it through. It pains my heart still when I recall those times she is suffering.

Have alrdy went to medical council to lodge complaint. but outcome will take 6-9 months. (I wonder why so long? )

I am still hesitating for a lawsuit cos it involves huge amount of stress and $$$. But i am consulting a lawyer this saturday to see how are the chances of winning. I really can't let this matter rest so easily. Its too much!

Hi Felicia and all frens,

The PD did not detect cos my baby does not hv a cleft lip, only cleft palate. The baby has to open its mouth , then can see the cleft palate.

But the PD didn't even bother to open its mouth to see???? Moreover to check for invisible defects???

I wonder how do those pd at the hospital examine our babies??? I think singapore really need to do an AUDIT for newborn examination!!

Hi Felicia and all frens,

The PD did not detect cos my baby does not hv a cleft lip, only cleft palate. The baby has to open its mouth , then can see the cleft palate.

But the PD didn't even bother to open its mouth to see???? Moreover to check for invisible defects???

I wonder how do those pd at the hospital examine our babies??? I think singapore really need to do an AUDIT for newborn examination!!

hi rachel,
blessings to your baby n family.

Will like to know which hospital n PD too. Pls PM me. thanks,.

Hi Rachel, i see. I know that doc.
But i was wondering why doesn't the medical stuff know since they're professional in this areas? Since bb has difficulty in latching, no 1 check on her for the cleft defects?

Hi Felicia,

Thats why I am so angry!!! All the pd had to do is to see the inside of baby's mouth but he didn't lor.

I also angry with the TMC nurses cos I complain to them at the hospital, but no one bother to find out. Sigh......... I thought TMC is well known for its delivery and pd services.......... I am utterly disappointed.

I wonder if I can post the name and clinic of the doctor on this forum. I am quite new so not sure. Is it disallowed?

I am thinking of also writing to the straits time forum regarding this case. But can I disclose the name of the doctor and clinic?

Anyone to advise me?

Cheers,
Rachel

Rachel
I dare post the name of the doctor and clinic .... my bad experience was KKH. Dont know gyne & PD names cos I was C class, every visit see diff docs.

KKH FAILED to give me proper care during pregnancy. Didnt listen to my worries, refused to let me take detailed genetic tests (reason given was I had no family history)

I delivered an abnormal child. <font color="0000ff">The problem is nobody knows she's an abnormal child cos she looks normal using naked eyes</font>. Visited KKH PD for routine check ups, voiced my concerned, AGAIN, doc felt I over-worried, didnt run any tests on her. <font color="ff0000">Going to turn one</font>, I went polyclinic for assessment, doc FOUND gal unusual thus wrote a referral ltr to KKH ... Can u imagine a professional PD at KKH need advice/referral ltr fm polyclinic so that they can wake up and look into my girl's case .... frustrated and angry!! Was wondering how come my girl couldnt sit up etc ... so shocked to find she has genetic problem. My whole world really collapsed, felt so helpless and angry with KKH.

I lodged complaint at Medical Council but KKH got away on the basis they had adhered to SG medical guidelines ... What can I do, got to live with a special child for my whole life.

Btw, my gal class has a girl with Cleft lip (not very obvious), got speech and developmental issues.

hi rachel,

sorry to hear abt your baby. i hope she's doing better now...i'm interested to know the pd and clinic...pls PM me. tks and do take care of yourself too...all the best
happy.gif

Hi rachel, can pm me please

hope ur baby is getting the milk she needs now that the condition is picked up....take care k.

Hi Rachel,

I thought it's the gynae who would detect the condition during ultra sound?

Your letter has to be objective.

Pls pm me the name of the PD.

Hi Rachel
I have PM you. Hope your gal is doing alot better. Its really terrible to hear about babies suffering esp when one has become a mommy.
sad.gif

For Ultrasound, it is stated, there is no 100% accuracy so there is no basis to complain abt the gynae.

but for cleft palate, its a visible condition at birth. my girl just hv to open its mouth and it can be seen at the palate.

So this PD definitely is in fault.

<font color="0000ff">Hi Rachel,

Feel so sorry for u, your bb gal &amp; your family. Luckily u insisted &amp; brought your gal to seek advice with other docs &amp; have it discovered early for treatment &amp; b4 more problems developes.

I would encourage u to lodge complaint against this irreasponsible PD thou I know u have to go thru a lot of time &amp; $ to do it.

Pls also PM me the name of this PD. Infact I think u can post it here for the benefit of all the parents here
happy.gif

Take care &amp; Jia you! *hugz*</font>

I want to share another story with all of you. I met this cab driver when I was on my way to the medical council. He told me his sad experience in mandarin:

"I got married at 22 years old, at 23 my wife was pregnant. She has quite serious asthma condition. I am afraid she will have complications during pregnancy. Every check ups I will ask the doctor is my wife really okay to give birth? Will it cause any danger to wife or baby?

The doctor will always reply its fine, asthma ppl can still give birth to healthy child. At the 5th month of pregnancy onwards, my wife start to have more asthma attacks and she complain of breathlessness. I kept asking the doctor if everything is still okay with her. I even tell the doctor to abort the baby if my wife's body cannot take the pregnancy. The doctor still give the same assurance that there's nothing wrong with asthma attacks, just use inhaler when it comes.

One day, when I reached home, I saw my wife lying dead on the floor her hand still grasping tightly on the inhaler."

Dear Frens,

The cab driver told me that the doctor did not inform him of any risks involved for asthma patients. There is actually a risk but I did'nt probe further. When I was listening to him, I really really very sad..... I feel so much for him.

He also said:" I am stupid cos I am an odd job labourer. All I know is to go hospital and bashed the doctor up. But my mother kept begging me not to go. I know nothing about my rights and the law. How to sue the doctor? What do I have to fight with a doctor? dunno english dunno how to read, dun have money......."

Hi Angelmum, I tried to pm u but u dun accept pm.

Sorry to hear abt your experience. We are all mummies and I also understd your anger and frustration at those stupid (only want to earn $$$) doctors.

When I learnt that my girl has cleft palate and may affect her speech development, I also damn upset.

I hope you hv learnt to cope with it and your girl will continue to grow stronger and heathlier each day.

cheers
rachel

Hi Rachel, the cab driver is really so pitiful. Both wife &amp; bb gone.
I've a feeling that even sueing them will not win cos government sectors will side with them as well.

oops...he's my gal PD. my gal last week hospitalise and was under him. Actually he is a v experience PD and should not have miss this... hmm. but 1 thing for sure is he is too busy. clinic packed with patients and v long wait just to be able to see him 5mins. so unless really necc such as hospitalise case or else i already switch to other PD near my hse. i cant tahan the long wait and also he dont have the time to really "chat" with me :p

I do wonder if "popular" doctors tnd to be complacent and perhaps too busy to check properly? They could be seeing so many cases they tend to have the same conclusions for all? My son had recurrent fever every weekend. Saw a pd for the first 2 weekends and it din help so I went to a "famous" PD who sent my son for tests and more tests and told us he couldn't detect the cause. Finally out of desperation we brought him to a GP who take the effort to check carrefully and it was just a throat infection. With one course of antibiotics, the fever cycle was broken. I do wonder why the previous PDs couldn't detect such a simple and obvious inection.

Hi Rachel, interested to know the name of the PD also, pls PM me. My baby also visits a PD in TMC, i suspect may be the one u are referring to, want to confirm.....hope your gal is better now...

<font size="+1">Mummies who already know the identity of the PD,
please do Rachel a favor and not disclose it.
Anything that isnt finalise will be deem as defamation and might get Rachel into trouble.

Thanks!
</font>

Hi Rachel,

I wish your princess is coping well now...and you must be strong for her too. I would be interested to know the name of the PD, kindly PM me....Thanks a lot and take care.

hi, i was trying to seek out a forum where parents with children who were hospitalised and found themselves in a situation where their children or themselves were not given a proper or fair treatment in hospitals. i got here.

why? have you heard of shin na, a cancer patient recently featured in channels news asia who is having cancer?

although shin herself had often expressed her disatisfaction in the hospital treatment, this particular post 'a cautionary tale' by her feature a father by the name of peto whose child is still having operations in a local hospital in Singapore and has no one to turn to right now for some advice as to how to pour out his grievances and complain.

here is the link
http://shinscancerblog.blogspot.com/

Dear all frens,

The wonderful Paediatician who is indeed patient and caring is:

Dr Ellen Tay
Paediatric Centre
Hougang Mall

Dear Frens,

Quite alot of you has been asking me to update on the lawsuit thing...

The lawyer was not optimistic about this case and advise me to drop the charges. Reason being, there is no tangible damages done to my baby. Meaning also the psychological damage is not too serious. Unless the serious consequences has alrdy happened ( speech defect and hearing loss...) then there is stronger chances of winning. Advise me that its not worth to fight the lawsuit cos alot of stress and $$$ involved unless my damages are really serious.

*I am quite upset when I heard this*

IF, the SMC has not punished the doctor despite my complaint, I am RESOLVED to BLOW this matter OUT OF PROPORTION.

MOTHERS OR WHOEVER OUT THERE, victims of DOCTOR'S NEGLIGENCE, lets gather and FORM OUR OWN SUPPORT GROUP !!! Let the Media and Press come to know all our cases and break all these arrogant doctors' rice bowls.

One case alone is not enough to get the attention of the media or public. Only we stand together then there will be GREAT IMPACT.

Hi Rachel, I can empathise with you. I had a bad personal experience with 1 PD and a pediatric surgeon which resulted in my gal being operated on when she is just 4 days old, and the surgery is actually not necessary. The permanent scar at her abdomnal area reminds me forever.

I could have a better case, with $$$ and tangible damage involved. The op costs more than $10k. However, didn't go for it as end of the day, the lawyers will be the winner$! There are disclaimers and consent forms signed so it'll take long to prove the case. At that time, I was more concerned to get my baby gal out of the hospital and ensure proper followup care for her medical condition, which was misdiagnosed. Was quite difficult then as it was sars period.

Lesson learnt is that being a layman, a second medical opinion must be sought before going ahead with invasive procedures like surgery. I was angry and sad but time heals. I count my blessings that my gal is ok now, just that there is a scar when she wears bikini!

Hi Rachel,

One of the Medical Officer in KKH misdiagnosed my baby's fever condition. But luckily my baby recovered after a few days.

We lodge a complain to KKH human resource department. They apologised for our distress and compensate our medical treatment fee.

Although the compesation amount is small, it is better than nothing.

We didn't complain to Medical Council or get a law suit as the Medical Officer is young and inexperienced and protected by KKH.
We know nothing will come out of this, so the best is to complain to KKH.

I think you can write an official complain letter to the PD clinic. The PD clinic may compensate your daughter's treatment fees.

I think it is not advisable to continue your legal suit against the PD unless you have a lot of money and time and not to mention the stress involved.

Better to spend your time and energy on your daughter. Hopefully, the PD clinic can compensate your daughter's treatment fees and you can close this unhappy chapter of her life.

Hi Albee,

Thank you for your advice. But I hv alrdy lodge complaint to the medical council and also TMC.

I hv demanded them to fully refund me the hospital bills... abt 3k. This is aiming at the nurses for failure to address the symptoms of cleft palate when I did mention the problems to the nurses.

The corporate manager and nursing director showed emphathy and feel sorry that such serious mistake could actually happened. They hv not get back to me regarding the investigation outcome but I think they shld be able to give me a good explanation and perhaps refund.

As for the PD, I hv file a serious complaint to both the hospital and medical council. I want him to be warned/punished for being so irresponsible/negligence. Until now, I still can't believe he can overlook on such a thing.

Hi Jan,

I feel so upset and sorry when I heard what has happened to your daughter. I really dunno what to say about all these **##!! doctors. Sigh...

I am glad to hear that u are coping very well now. Please take care.

Cheers
Rachel

hi rachel

sorry to hear abt wad happened. can u PM me the name of the PD cos my children were born in TMC and consulting the PD there too. Thanks

hi rachel

so sorry to hear about yr plight..
really hope tat yr gal n u r doing well now..
m interested to know the pd too cos me giving birth there 2.. pls pm me.. thanks..

hi rachel, sorry to hear abt ur doter. hope tat she's doing fine nw. Can i knw wat's the PD's name? From the post, sounds like my gynae.

Hi Rachel,

Hope ur gal n you are doing well now.
Can PM the name of the PD n the PD clinic as I'll be delivering at TMC soon. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing ur experience. Jia You!

Back