Agape Little Uni (Kallang) - Infant care

joanne47

Hi,

Anyone use the infant care services at this branch? Am thinking of putting my baby there but would like to find out from mummies out there first.

Agape has an island wide open house this week so dunno whether to register or not.

Hi,
I'm also keen to check out this centre. Any mummies with kids in there would like to share your experience?

Currently my son is in another centre in that area but I find their hygiene a little dubious. I once caught them asking my son (ard 24 months old) to lie on the floor (where all the kids and adults walked on) to drink milk. And what is worse is that my son often come home with mosquitoes and insect bites. Once his arm was bitten by an unknown insect so badly that it got red, swollen and infected. The whole arm felt really hard and warm.

Besides Agape, I am also considering other centre around Kallang/Mountbatten/Guillemard. Anyone feedbacks or recommendation is appreciated. Thanks all.

Anyone has any comments on Agape Little Uni @ Tampines? I'm thinking of sending my boy there. Would like to know more as their fees is quite steep.

My son is at agape tampines infant care. I find that the environment is very friendly and clean.Join a month ago. Teachers are loving too. My son initially cried for the first one week every day when i send him to the infant care. Probably he is in a total strange environment. But he is ok now. Yah, agree the price is a bit steep but it is all worth it for my little angel.
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

me gal is in this CC since its opening... she's in N1 now... so far so good... find the teachers are nice and responsive, attentive to my requests. The place is bright and clean...

infant care - the ic is teacher angline (hmmm hope me get her name right..). she is the RN and 2 more care givers... clean env too... ya ya full air-con in this centre.... now agape has divide the infant into - mobile and non-mobile... those who are able to crawl/ walk will do their activities in another room which is a new one... whereas others will be @ the main room...

Hi Reiner,

Any idea about the curriculum? What do they do in play group and nursery level? What makes them "special" from other CC which charges an average of $600~? Also, for that price we can almost put our kids in a Montessori school. Is it worth it?

didnt visit any Montessori sch, so no comments. We put our gal there coz its opp block. cut down the logistic arrangments.

they use letterland to teach phonics, CC will give out the term topics/ curriculum before start of ea term... langages, maths science, music arts... gym kidz every tues...

there's a Montessori @ Kallang CC, ve you visited there?

Hi Leereiner,

May i know what is the name of the Montessori at kallang CC? My son is currently in MMI but we are transferring him to agape at kallang cos of logistics issues. He is in N2 now. very scard that he can't adjust......

Hi,

Just to check: Is AGAPE is Christian childcare centre?
'Cos i realise the teachers made the children sing the grace with fingers interlocking and thanking GOD and birds etc before meal times.We are in fact glad that they are teaching the children to show appreciation when they thank the auntie and teacher for the preparation of the food. We are just hoping that they can fine-tune the song and singing, i.e. do away with the word “God” and the “praying” gestures. We support the values they are inculcating in the children, We just feel that if a centre wants to remain a neutral image, their practice should be in line with what they put upfront.(It's not on their website or school that they are christian affliated) It is only fair for the consumers, especially since it is not like walking into any shops, we can just leave the product and go, as mentioned above, most families refrain from changing the care-giving organizations as far as possible.
The supervisor told me that for the past 14 years since agape is founded, no parents have ever complained about this. I dun think this is the issue here. The parents may be ignorant abt it? or even if they know, they may just eat it as their children are at their mercy?
I would have accepted it better if i have known that agape is a christian childcare centre and i would respect their way of doing things. In this case I feel so cheated.

Hi Eileen,

As far as I know, Agape is not really a Christian CCC and they don't preach and teach the bible but their owners are Christians. However, most people will know the word AGAPE is linked to Christianity. AGAPE = The love of God or Christ for mankind. The moment you step into the centre, you'll see bible phrases. So even if they don't preach to the kids, you know that there'll be some Christian influence there. I was there when they sang the song before meal, I thought it was really cool. Maybe I did not catch it totally but I only heard them thanking the teachers etc... didn't hear about God. Definitely I did not see the kids with the praying gestures and the teachers did not force them to put their hands together for sure. Perhaps some kids are doing that cos' they do it at home...Besides the saying grace part, I don't think there are much Christian practise there.

Hi EiLiYa,

"Agape is one of several Greek words translated into English as love. Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love. Although the word does not have specific religious connotation, the word has been used by a variety of contemporary and ancient sources, including Biblical authors and Christian authors. It was expropriated by some Christian writers and used in a specifically Christian context, leading to a belief that agape is a Christian word.[who?] Thomas Jay Oord has defined agape as "an intentional response to promote well-being when responding to that which has generated ill-being."[citation needed] In his book, The Pilgrimage, author Paulo Coelho defines it as "the love that consumes," i.e., the highest and purest form of love, one that surpasses all other types of affection. Greek philosophers at the time of Plato and other ancient authors have used forms of the word to denote love of a spouse or family, or affection for a particular activity, in contrast to philia—an affection that could denote either brotherhood or generally non-sexual affection, and eros, an affection of a sexual nature." from Wikipedia

In summary, the word Agape does not belong to christians. It is just that they use it more often to interpret God's unconditional love. so i feel that the centre should not expect parents to know that it is linked to christianity. As for the bible proverbs stated, I view them as very general statements like " Teach your child where he should go...." which is correct want. They didn't state things like " Teach your child that he should head to the direction of the Lord..." I am perfectly fine with whatever the statements so long as it is not a direct display. Teachers do ask them to say the grace though they didn't force the kids but which child wants to be the odd one out? I watched them do it. They do put their hands together with fingers interlocking. Their grace is also pasted on one of the walls of the 1st classroom. I think the most important thing is the management insists that theirs is not a christian ccc but their actions speak otherwise. Even if it is a christian ccc, i dun mind but i feel that we parents have to be informed in the 1st place, either verbally or through their website, etc.

Hi Eileen,

Yup, AGAPE is the Greek word for Love. Just like what the paragraph said, it is been used mostly in Christian context in modern days now. I didn't say that it belongs to Christianity. What I said was it is linked... Just like some words such as grace, praise etc. The moment you see a center/shop name XXX Grace or XXX Praise, you'll relate it to Christianity though the word is not a "Christian word". And I believe that most if not all parents will check out the meaning of the name of the centre that she is going to send her child in if she is not already familiar with it. A quick search thro' google will probably show a list with more than half linked to Christianity.

And yes, even if the bible phrase does not quote God in it, you know it is taken straight from the bible. You'll know there is bound to be some Christian influences in this centre. You can't say that just because the phrase doesn't have God in it, it is not a religious connotation.

During the interview, I did ask about the background and there I knew that it belongs to 2 Christian owners and that even though they don't teach or preach the bible, they use the fundamental.

Anyway, I am just giving my opinion. Hope you are not offended in any way. Suggest you either talk to them again and ask them exactly what other practises they have and if you are really uncomfortable, switch your child while it is still "early". I also just switched my kid after 1 year plus at another centre. The 1st month is always hard but it beats having to put yourself thro' the unhappiness for the years to come.

Hi EiLiYa,

Thanks for your advice. I've actually contacted MCYC about this. They said that they are very firm that all centres should remain secular and neutral. Have forwarded the song to them as well. MCYS will speak to the centre's directors and get back to me in a week's time.

<font face="trebuchet ms"> Hi, this is what my girl has been singing, agape upper boon keng branch:

Hand together, close your eyes
Thank you for the food we eat, yum yum
thank you for the birds, sing-a-ling-a-ling
thank you for everything, yum yum
join us teachers, join us friends
lao shi qing chi, xiao peng you meng ding chi
qie qie lao shi, qie qie aunty...

BUT the lyrics pasted on the wall @ the meal area, did stated the word "GOD" there... </font>

my gal also in agape... i not a christian myself but i feel that it is a just a thank you song. my gal likes the centre alot as the teachers there are really good and nice, they will alway keep me updated about my gal who use to cry when she first join the centre. they teachers really help me in getting my gal to settle down. and now she can do many thing which she have not done b4 when she was not in childcare centre.

<font face="trebuchet ms">Hi Hi EiLiYa, see you here hor!! keke... hmmmm... your boy has settle down @ agape eh?</font>

Hi Reiner,

You saw me at the CCC!?! Kekeke... But I usually go at 0730...

Yap, my boy is settling very well. He cried after 2-3 weeks there for around 2 weeks every morning. When I park my car, he'll cry and point to another exit at the carpark and scream "Go there go there!" Hahaha...

Now he is doing very well. Every other day he'll say, "I want Teacher Pauline..." He'll also ask for his 2 other form teachers, Li Lao Shi and Teacher Jessica.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. He is picking up Mandarin more nowadays...phews.

<font face="trebuchet ms"> Hi EiLiYa, last week me gotta bring my girl to agape myself as dh is out stationed so get the chance to see your son lor... keke... great to hear that your son has settled down and even wants the Teachers leh... Good Teachers will be loved by the kids lor...

Chinese/ Mandarin - my girl too... now she speaks mandarin more but still with the funny/ wierd accents lor... like "lau hong" lor... and she understands what we are talking - dh n me use mandarin to communicate lah.... hmmmmm..... think we gotta learn other ways to communicate, you know sometimes there are things you wont want our kids know... keke... think me has hogged this thread too beside the "Boon Keng Mummies" one...</font>

Hi Reiner,

I didn't realise this is a different thread until you mentioned! Hahaha... When I saw you replying I still thought it was the Boon Keng Mummies thread...so blur of me.

Ya boy...I'm shocked by my son's sudden increase in Chinese vocabs. Yesterday I told my hb in Mandarin to take out the watermelon (xi-gua) after my son finishes his dinner (cos' once he sees fruits, he won't eat his food). Then my son raised his eyebrows and said, "I want to eat xi-gua".

Strangely my son's Mandarin pronunciation is pretty accurate. And it sounds more "pure" than ours. The way he said Fei1 Ji1, Hou3 Che1 is quite pure. The 1st time he said, "Mummy, I want Hou3 Che1", I thought he wants to drink water!! Hahaha... I think becos' his Chinese teacher is from China so his accent abit Chinese type.

We have to start learning a 3rd language now...maybe Japanese!?! Hahaha...but not to worry, our kids will definitely pick up the new language faster than us! Kekeke

<font face="trebuchet ms"> ya ya me is the hogger again... wonder what action/ how agape gonna handle this Thank YOu Song eh?

my girl mandarin has that "ang moh" accent lor, everytime she speaks, me gonna laugh but gotta hold back lah. get worse when sing the mandarin song... keke... anyway my IL understand her lor, got a mix of mandarin and hokkien when she talks to them. told dh he gotta learn cantonese lah, since my girl knows eng, chinese n bit of hokkien yah. doubt she comes across cantonese. parents gotta keep a language by themselves leh... hmmmm
kao_laugh.gif
</font>

Hi Mummies,

My daughter's also with Agape CC but at the CCK branch. I agree with you that Agape is strong in teaching Chinese literacy. My daughter attended their 3-hr PG class for 13 mths before I switched her to fullday care. Within 6 mths of attending the PG class, she can communicate fairly well in Mandarin with my in-laws.

Hi,

My boy who just went in for a month also loves Teacher Pauline! My boy was transferred from another childcare and we transferred him to agape due to logistics. When he was in the previous cc, it was helll for us bringing him to school. But at agape, I was really shocked when he rushed me into bringing him to school every morning, and was even reluctant to go home when i wanted to bring him back earlier!

Wow Eileen, good to hear that your son loves his new CCC. My son too will tell me almost every morning when he wakes up, "Mummy, I want to go Bear-Bear". Bear-Bear is Agape cos' of the bear motif all over the CCC and their uniforms.

Yesterday was the 1st time I heard my son sang the thank you song but ya know what he sang? "Xie xie Lao shi, xie xie aunty....xie xie Teacher Pauline..." I think that teacher must be very well liked by most of the kids. She does seems like most very caring type.

My gal is still not able to sing the song yet cos she still very young, but i agree with all of you that the teachers there really got a way to make the kids happpy, my also feel very very happy that when she reach the school and seeing the teachers there who gives a warm welcome every morning.

Hello Mummies, My baby goes to Agape Kallang, IFC class. I agree the teachers are caring and I like the school's environment. Baby is always happy and smiley every morning too.
happy.gif

Hello Precious_bb, that's nice
happy.gif
Their IFC does look very clean and well-taken care. Also there are so many toys there.

Eiliya, is your baby at Agape Kallang too? Yup lotsa toys to entertain the kids, not much complain from me so far, the teachers and principal tries their best to take care the needs of every baby. I'm glad to found this CC near our place.

Yes Precious_bb, my boy in PG. We just switched him to Agape in Sept. It wasn't open last May when we were searching for a CC. But I am really glad we finally did a switch as we can tell he is really much happier here. He'll ask to go to CC, ask for his teachers etc. Whereas at the old CC, if I ask if he wants to go CC, he'll always shake his head and say no.

So far it has been good for me except that I wish the teachers would speak less lah/leh/loh...

<font face="comic sans ms"> Hi EiLiYa, do you know is there any change of Teachers for your boy class for Yr2010?

ya ya the teachers english is more singlish bah... like me say my girl has lots of lah/leh/hor/loh

so me gotta correct her everytime leh... oopppss... you see mummy is using singlish too ha!!! </font>

Hi Reiner,

I'm not sure about the change in teacher. My impression is that the teachers for PG will stay in PG, N1/2 will stay at N1/2...so every year they'll see "new" teachers...right?

I'm going for the MTP session and mine is on the 7th Dec. Will probably find out more then.

Did you sign your girl up for the Speech &amp; Drama class? Not cheap ya...

I know...I also try to avoid using singlish. Once I accidentally said, "Ya lah!" to my hb. And immediately my son said, Ya lah~". I freaked out and quickly reminded him not to say that! Hahaha... we have to watch outselves before we can teach them....haiz. Not easy. The teachers' lah/leh/loh made me rather uneasy.

<font face="trebuchet ms"> HI EiLiYa, Teacher Grace is not taking my girl N2 class next year leh... But Huang Lao Shi will be. But me heard sthing- that this may change... Ya me prefer to have the same Teachers thru out till K2... coz the Teachers will know the kids very well... And the kids do not have to go thru the "orientation" with the Teachers every year.

Ya signed up the S&amp;D... ya agreed not cheap, still need the registration fee?? puzzled!! additional cost per month... anyway do not wanna let my girl be the odd one out....

MTP= meet the parents session right? my girl N1 class is on 4 Dec.... hmmmm.... no chance to see you... keke....

told dh about the Teachers english, but he's okay since agape is the most ideal one - just next blk of our house.... so cant have best of both world... sigh!!! btw where do you stay eh?</font>

<font face="trebuchet ms"> Teacher Pauline english is good, at least me have not heard of singlish from her... correct me...</font>

Hi Eliya and LEereiner, your kids are in PG? My baby will join PG in another 8 months, by then, your kids would have graduated to N1.

They have speech and drama for PG? Do they have play gym too? I remember seeing play gym when I was there.

I'm glad that we found agape too. Initially wanted to sign up for another CC nearby, luckily we didn't! hee..

I'll be going for the MTP session for IFC group, wondering what video will they show

Leereiner,
Ya, my son simply adores Teacher Pauline. The reason she doesn't speak singlish is becos' she is not S'porean. Hahaha...

My parents stay at the UBK estate...they were enbloc from Blk 20. I stay at Cassia Cres...see my recent posting! kekeke...
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/3248013.html?1258427221

How about you? Were you enbloc from there too? Maybe we were neighbours previously... ;D

Hi Precious_bb,
My son is in PG but promoting to Nursery next year. Leereiner's kid is in Nursery level already.

All levels have playgym...different timing. All 20 mins each. I saw it on a paper the CC gave me when I first joined.

When I was looking for a CC, Agape wasn't open yet. Otherwise I would have put my son there straight. I know this is a better CC. Even my mum notices alot of difference in my son's behaviour towards going to CC. He always talk about the CC, teachers and ask to go CC early in the morning... At the previous place, he used to sulk before reaching there. Hehe

Didn't know there is going to be video??

<font face="lucida sana unicode"> ya enbloc from blk 6 to blk 2D... me in west side before married to east ... keke...

err... is your boy previously @ this Crxxxive @ BK yah?

Whao!! Teacher Pauline has great impact on your boy, man...

Hi Precious_bb,
keke... EiLiYa "knows" my girl... although she's in N1, but her built is more of PG leh... very small size and she's fair... </font>

Hi Leereiner &amp; Eliya, It's nice to meet fellow mummies with kids going to the same CC
happy.gif
They have playgym for IFC too? I never notice it, maybe tomorrow I will ask teacher!

Eliya, did you put your child at Crea***e S***r previously?

Teacher Pauline, I find her good too. Actually most of the teachers seems good. Current Principal also very good.

Yup, Leereiner &amp; Precious_bb...my son was previously from C*******@BK.

I was having thoughts about switching him some time back but just didn't get to do it until this Sept. Too much mozzies and insects bites every other day. Of cos' there are other issues too. So far I am really pleased w Agape. Most impt reason is my son really likes this new CC. Though he can't tell me why or how, but I can tell he is happy.

Hi all,

I'm planning to put my coming baby next year in Agape. Any advice on their service on infant care?? And how is the rates like?

Also, my son is turning 4 next yr. How is the curriculum like for N2. Is there any website for Agape?

tks!
happy.gif

<font face="trebuchet ms"> Hi Kiki80, your son is Yr06 eh? my girl will be N2 Yr10 yo... Which cc is your son @ now? why change?

http://www.agapelittleuni.com/

you go down to agape see see lah, then you feel the exact place &amp; Teachers mah... no use for us to tell you yah... call the pricinpal diana sng... better still if you just pop by, then you can see the real thing in the cc...

Hi EiLiYa,
my girl was @ that Crxxxive @ BK too... haha... cos we didnt like hapxx toxx @ the community club. so the next ava choice will be that cc yah... when agape opened, we just swtich her immed w/o much thinking.... haha!!! next block to our hse, what's to think yah... ha!

Yeah... HAPPY.... ya agreed... the most impt thing is that our jr is happy to go to cc... HAPPY learning, happy playing, happy eating... etc... keke</font>

Hi kiki80,

Yup, you should make an appointment with them and tour the place before committing. I did that too. Have a feel of the place for yourself.

Hi Leereiner,
Oh yea, I remember you mentioned on the other thread that your girl also from CS infantcare. I'm just like you, there wasn't much chose. I went down to the community centre too. In less than 5 secs, I thought in my heart "no way!". The place is too dirty for my comfort. After looking at the condition, I didn't even bother to listen about the other things already. I made an appointment with the in-charge the day before and she said she'll wait for me. When I reached there the next day, she was not there and she didn't even tell her staff. The staff just looked blank and then allowed me to quick tour it. After that, neither the in-charge nor anyone called me. Anyway, I won't bother too. I don't remember the name of the childcare but if you're referring to the nearest community centre near your estate, we're refering to the same one.

hi everyone,,, yes i went the to the cre**** centre too. it really bad. lucky my gal was in agape, i also hear that it going to be full soon for the preschool side. wah this cc really good.

Hi Lee May,

CS was not bad when my son first joined...around May '08. But they've slackened alot. Haiz...

Just glad that he is out of CS now. Yup, Agape seems to be very popular and so far I heard of good reviews mostly.

Hi Leereiner,

My son next year also N2. But I have enrolled him with Cannan Churh Kindergarden, the one at st george. My mum is taking care of my son, so moreover, all my nieces and nephew had graduated from Cannan, so I continued there.

I am asking Agape is for my new arrival next yr. I am planning to put my 2nd one in Agape infant care, cos my mum is not able to take care for me.

Also planning to shift back to Boonkeng, as my mum stays there.

CreatXXX stXX do not seems to be good. I also heard of many dengue cases there, cause my brother stays that blk.

Tks for the advice. I will go over Agape and take a look. Wonder how is their rates???

happy.gif

Hi kiki80,

cldnt rem the rates for infant... think after the 600bucks sub, gotta pay another 700bucks per month...

Back