Advice on Myanmar Maid

Hi toto,
Speaking from my experience, I will keep Fili maid...
Perhaps u should ask yourself this question: Are you willing or afford to take a risk? What if this Myanmar maid cannot meet yor expectations?

She came from a very ulu province. She picked up the language in Singapore as she had worked here for 3 years, just prior to me hiring her. At her down time, I see her reading Myanmar to English translation book. 很有上进心. She also reads our cook book and ask us if she can try cooking those dishes, which we gladly let her does so. I think getting an experienced maid helps a lot.

Doralol, I can understand. My hubby also said I don know how to manage maid until he realise maid not like normal subordinates. They have to go tthrough it to know

To help yourself leave maid with hubby for a day.

Even when you are doing very well, the husband will say we not managing well.... I learnt that my maid plays both sides. I'm front of me, will pander to what I want and what is good or her, and vice versa. But as long as deliverables are decent, I'm ok...

Leaving the husband to manage the maid is a good idea. They will then realize they vomit blood...

But, depends, certain husbands and maids should not be left alone together... One of my friends dad and the filipino maid.....

My myannmar maid is coming this June, I m kinda scared Nw but I won't hesitate to change her out if she gives us attitude. Will let my mum handle her for sure! My mum is the one tat request for burmese maid. Anyone has got any maid work schedule or timetable to share? My mum eng is also ltd, will let her sort out with the helper.

My maid left the stove fire burning for 10 hours. Fortunately house never got burned down. Then tried to explain again.

Even if her English is bad, as long as she's willing to learn, listen and work properly, that's all that matters.with such an attitude, she will pick up English first.

My maid is still with me only because we have decided once she finishes her contract or should request to go back to learnagency once her loan is up, we will not hire anymore.

hi toto

after my bad experience with my mnymmar maid i suggest you keep yr Phil maid. good maids are byluck so if yr one is good keep her . mnymmar maids are getting advanced now they hv so much of contacts after they stay with us longer.

Hi ongsang

i can feel yr pain Im going thru the same here. since last wee my husband started to handle her and she keep her mouth shout after all she has done she asked my husband if her cousin sister also working here can come and see her for few hrs at first i wanted to let her but after the incidenti told my husband not to let her. yesterday we caught her using hp while my gal in the sofa sleeping and my gal heard the lift sound she thought Im coming she go open the door later the door was not closed properly so my husband scolded her. he say next time if she caught using the ph during working hrs we will confiscate it and gv only when we cm bk from wk. does anyone do such practices to your maid ho

My key question is why bother to keep the maid if she have problems, issues on attitude, slow, not willing to learn etc?

Wont it be easier to just send them back to the agency, (in fact the earlier, the better) and seek alternatives?

Like what nelle post, still need a maid,better devil known then unknown and re-train, pay more money where no cases of abuse or theft

Hi Mummies,

Anyone has any idea whether we Employers can check our maid HP message. I suspect my maid has a bf
sad.gif
((
Anyway im less bothered cos i going to send her off soon. just counting down the days.

Hi Cheryl, will finding out if she has bf make u unhappy? If it will, since she's going back soon, don't waste your time and energy.

Hi Tinkerstar infact im less bothered with her nowadays just waiting for her to leave my house. Which i already fix the date end of this month.
But i just want to find out must i give her notice or how shall i go by to send her back to her country. Anybody can assist me on this

Cheryl,
My personal view, if the maid got attitude problem, don't tell her when you will send her back because her attitude might go from worse to worst! For my case, I did tell my maid because her attitude is ok and we are parting on mutual agreement. So, no hard feelings between us.

I created a thread on sharing on tips on hiring maids. Just my personal view after gathering information from my colleagues/friends who had a lot of experience hiring maids.

I'm onto my 2nd transfer indo maid now for about 2 weeks and so far she's acceptable and most importantly she passes my hubby standard..LOL.

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/2807747.html?1332387042

Hi Mummy Ariajo

But i read the contract yst must give her 2weeks notice but den i really wonder when this maids request to change of employer or wants to go back they don't give us notice they want to change means change immdaitely WTH...

I really enough of giving maids too much of face la...if MOM to qns me i am going to qns them back i never harm her i give her full freedom to the extend she has a bf what will happen if i give her 2weeks notice she runaway with her bf OR she bring her bf to my house during the daytime nobody at hm.??? within 1yr service with me she ever asked her "so called" relatives to my house request me to let her go talk to them and she went MIA for few hrs nightmare day which i can nvr forget...

Hi Onsansg,

Have you inform your maid that you going to send her back? Im going thru all those above you stated. But atleast mine will greet us every am/pm/night time
happy.gif

Cannot really unst this maids why they must be so stubborn when they come over to earn a living.

Personally, I don't really care if my maid greets me or not or says thank you. All I want is for her to do job properly. Until now, maid still quite bad at her work. We keep getting bitten by ants. I never had a maid like her. Buy expensive mops to make her work easier can spoilt 3 and yet floor still dirty. Same for her other cleaning. Can even burnt my corningware twice. Think I let her off too easily each time she makes a mistake. The 1st time she burnt my corningware I said Nevermind, soak first then tried to scrub off tooand it sat there for days(hard to remove). 2nd time sheshe didn't even tried to scrub though I specifically said to scrub coz I need to use for dinner yet she insist on cutting the lemon I told her not to touch. If not because my husband said it is better to have someone to do manual work no matter how bad since we are so busy, I would send her off.

I really think familiarity breeds contempt.after observing this many times, I realised every time sheafter I bring my maid out with us for dinner or outing, her work will get worse or when I asked her to watch kids for a while, she is not paying attention.her off observin

Btw, Cheryl, you can just send her but hopefully she doesnt have a chance to complain if you are not giving pay in lieu. Btw, if you are cancelling her work permit online, you must have her air ticket ready. After icancellation, you have 7 days to send her off.

I do agree about the unfairness how maid can just give few hours notice. However, MOM sides with maid so if need a maid, have to bear with it

Maybe she don't like or is not used to the expensive mops. Let her mop using cloth on her knees and hands. Works better, coz some of them "cannot see" the food and dirt using mop as eye versus floor distance is too far.

If she can't get the food bits cleaned off the floor after one mop, never mind lah, means the maid is asking for more practice sessions only mah... Mop again lah!!!!! Practice makes perfect.

One day or the next day, she will realize, do it right the first time means don't have to do so many times.

Air tickets must be paid for by employer by MOM regulations even if maid insists on paying for whatever reasons they tout now as be sure these reasons will vaporize.

If she want to give you Ang pow for your kids but you sign visa for the air ticket, then ok lah. U paid for the air ticket. That is what matters.

Ensure all salaries signed off on in front of witness and footage.

The mop I have are spinner mops, just step on spot or push down, no strength required. Even I can mop such that floor untilis not wet enough to slip. Even my toddler knows how to use. Even if I asked her to use cloth, she cannot see to. The big piece of garlic on stove which she use a cloth to clean remains there.

I seriously considered bringing her for a eyes and ear check up. Even my toddler can spot dirt and his eyesight is not supposed to be as developed at his age supposedly.

I can tell her to do again and again, but few days later again fforget.even a friend remark she is not concentrating over thrburnt corningware.I end up always asking her if she usedis dreaming. She always look half asleep.

If not because she does love my kids and what my husband said abt manual work, she wouldn't be in my hse anymore

You are not alone....

Very very similar to my current.

For the floor still being wet after mopping, after she can't get it right or refused to get it right, we added an extra step to the process. Try the floor with a clean dry cloth after mopping. Works. Better this way than having a child risk slipping.

For the floor, she normally cleans when kid not around so not so bad. She's actually hardworking, in doing the things she wants to do but the things I want her to do, anyhow do.

And been giving me early morning shocks like not closing freezer door properly after taking ingredients out for her breakfast and not being aware though she work past at least twice

Please be careful of Philipino maid - Bautista Rhealyn Nidoy. WP no0 26078970. She is a run away maid, looking for man and likes to go on FB

I realise I have been naive and stupid. I had reduce my maid workload to 70% in a bid to get her bAsic chores done well and because she always look half asleep. And dinner cooking which is more difficult has been all done by me.

In effect she has more Time to rest and do her work. However, basic chores are done badly or not completed, hse more messy and kids generally look after by me.and she behaves like she is half asleep. When I threaten to send her back to agency, vast improvement. I really think my personality cannot make her work.

She is down with sore throat, probably due to overeating of.titbits we gave,And I brought her to gp today. I told her she has to wear a mask because baby ard and I don't want baby to be sick again. I suspect she was already sick few days back and passed it to my baby. Yet today, she can tell me at least 3 times she is well and don't need to wear a mask and purposely aanyhow wear the mask so she can feel more comfortable.

After she came, baby falls sick at least twice a mmonth. And my maid is pretty stubborn, "forgets " to eat vitamin c we bought, not to mentioNed she sseems pretty vunerable to sickness (eye infection when just came, skin rashes every so often)

I am so looking forward to no maid, no more morning shocks.

From now onwards, I am going to wAlk away when she starts explaining her mistakes. This is the oonly thing that works. I always felt it was better to listen to what the maid has to say, turns out it only make her bolder in refusing to follow instructions

Hi Mummies

Good news first my maid has left my house on Friday afternoon. Friday i was on leave and sat was our plan to go batam celebrate my MIL 50th birthday. As usual she bullied me and throw her ball to me. Morning around 10am i notice my mother's day flower which given by my dd was missing when i qns her she was rude and say throw already becos it spoil WTH...i told her how can you throw without asking me its my thing. i was so upset and i thorw my words to her " i think its time for your to go back since your work is very slack for the past few months" as usual she fight back and say yes i also want to go back...this happens many times starting of this year. She was very obsessives with her hp day and night work is not done super slack...negelct my son who was with her since born 1st day now he dont even look for her nor go near her. she cannot feed him put him to sleep etc...i have been noticing all dis. So finally she admit that she also dont want follow us to batam the first time we brought her she was excited but dis time round no excitement all she wants when we are away she can meet her frds and also "BF" she is a mother of two with no husband and yet she has a BF. So i immediately call up my hubby and he arrange for her ticket to fly back sat to yangon. Awhile later she pretend to be good help me clean up my house. the reason i took leave was to clean my hosue as my inlaws are moving in with me...as usual all went to the drain becos of her. I told her at 2pm pack up your things she was shocked so fast im going i say yes you wanted to wat. Before that i called up MOM to lodge a report on her baheviour who is going to bear my batam ticket and hotel which all paid. As suaul MOM cannot advise me on this. I also call up the agent to inform them she request to go back im going to bring her back since sat morning i wont be in Singapore i used their runner paid SGD 50 to send her off to airport... Guess what before leaving my house she hug me cry cry can see that she really cried for the 1st time deep from her heart...i told her just go back and rest see your kids. Laides before she leave she even told me help her top up her phone to call back her family her hp low value..she say if $5 also i can use. i gave her all her pro rated salary and balance money and while i was talking to my son's teacher on my way she went to top up her ph for $15 still nvr give up her hp...haizzz at the agy i checked all her things and before i leave she followed me outside and hug me kiss me again to say she is so sorry. she nvr accept this to happen. she admit to talk back to me. I told her she bullied me alot of time and i cannot control and take it anymore so just go back safely without any problem and settle down at your hometown.Fri night she called and cried to my gal whom she always fight and like to complain. Even sat i called her from batam to make sure she clear the customs without any problem and she also did called me on Sunday night to say she reached yangon safely so from dat dae till now im so peaceful..work load alot kids to handle but im sure LADIES we can do it.

HI Tinklestar,

i too had the same problem with my ex maid...i reduce her workload and she become super lazy and i also can imagine how sleepy face you have faced me went thru the same totally 90% same dear. Be patience not always maids get their way GOD is with us and we shall get rid of them soon. Mine i really get rid of her its tough to handle work/kids/housework but i know i can do a better job den the maid.

Hi,
Think I m lucky, my maid is hardworking n honest, language barrier we do have but by showing her how to do it she learnt fast. She can take care of my two year old toddler well too. For my newborn, I will wait till baby older then teach her how to handle.

I think all these Myanmar maids have hidden agendas.

My maid just finish paying her loan, told me that she wants to buy hp and send her salary back home. Bit by bit I manage to extract info from her, told me that her sister came last year looking for hotel job, should be in Singapore now and looking for hotel job again.

Her cousin called my hp a few weeks ago, just arrived in Singapore for maid job.
When I asked her if she knows where to send money, she said Peninsula plaza, she said that she will send it to her uncle, which is also maid agent in Myanmar.

I looked at her notebook, she leaves it on the bedside table, there were at least 30 Singapore hp numbers and 1 dozen email address and 1/2 dozen singapore address. I'm her 2nd employer. She work for 1st employer for only 2 months, she has so many contacts.

Worked for 7 months now, 2 nights ago, I saw her using both her hands to press down the raw pork and then pick up the tube of plastic wrap. Even after so many times, she still can't get the hygiene right.

My Aunty's maid's brother came to singapore to work a few months ago. Now this maid always cooked up some story so elaborate to try and take off days to meet her brother.

Hi Stshaw,

This is just the starting mine also has lots of contact and i hold back her notebook cos im afraid she might call them up to my house but still she somehow manage to get all the details: haizzzz

Its like dat la...now without a maid i feel peaceful but housework tie me down untill i have no proper rest. But my mind is free rather than everyday stress and heavy mind set.

Just monitor your maid loh...next might be she will ask off day to go out meet her cousins:p

Sounds like your encounters r very similar to mine. My ex myanmar do not own hp or use my home phone but she can receive a lot letters from all over sg with different add & persons! I am really very amazed on how she spread her network. Till now, I still receive letters even though she was transfered out.

Hi Cheryl M

I was horrified reading your story a few pages back, that's why I begin to think that these Myanmar maids have hidden agendas.

Many come here to work in the hotel industry, restaurant etc, I've been served in dept stores by them too, at Robinsons, Hush Puppy etc.

These maids think we provide free lodging and meals, they get a salary and just help 'clean' the house, go out every sunday network with their relatives and friends.

My maid said, they breast feed until 3 yrs old, 5 yrs old go to school, so there's really no need for older siblings to take care of younger siblings. She says with such pride that they are all well educated, go to school at 5 yrs old. Her mother does the cooking, she does not have to do anything at home.

Well educated but no common sense!?!?!?? She mop the kitchen, she put the dustbin (wet garbage like egg shells, bits and ends of veggies etc) on my sink top, so near my garlic and onions basket. Touch raw food with hands, then open drawer to grab the plastic wrap box.

I've always asked her to leave the front loading washing machine door ajar with a towel wedged at the hinge, so it can air out. When I confronted her last week about leaving the Washing machine door closed, she said my husband closed it. When I asked my husband, he was angry and asked her when did she see him do that, she said 'last year November'.

2 days ago, I confronted her about the dust on this spot, where the modem, set top box, etc, a lot of cables and wires are. She said that my husband told her not to clean. When I asked my husband, he again asked her when did he said this to her, she answered 19 Jan, he said this to her. Now my husband thinks she is crazy. Of all my maids, my husband has never said anything or be invloved ever.

My husband wonders why this maid switches on the light in the morning to sweep the house and she leaves it on the whole morning.

When she is cleaning my room, nearing evening almost 7pm, she is cleaning in the dark and never bothers to switch on the lights.

She said, in Myanmar, only husband works, women stay at home look after children. Then I asked her, why don't all the Myanmar girl look for husband why come here to work as maid. Then she kept quiet.

Here to look for husband? Can't be true, their highly educated women works too unless its only those from the village. Or maybe they stop working after getting married.

No wonder they are subservient to the man.

Hi tinklestar

I meant I asked her why don't the Myanmar girl look for husband after their high education and stay home. Why come to Singapore to work as maid?

I wonder, what are we then, pay them to stay in our house, teach them to take care of babies, then they go home get married and take care of their own babies. We are like forever training these people, feed them, lodge them, pay them and suffer their nonsense?!?!?!?!?!?

She tells me she's not farmer, her brother is photographer working for newspaper. She wants to make money to study chemistry in university. All this she told me when she first came to my home last October.

Then this past 3 months I've been at home to watch her work, I realized she has such poor hygeine concept. When I was working, I never really check on her work and how she does it. Now she starts coming out with all these elaborate lies.

Anyway, today, she just told me that she's not happy, she wants to go back to Myanmar. Thank God, she said it before I did. I was thinking of how to say this to her last week. She has finished her loan, so I can just buy her ticket and send her off in 1 or 2 weeks. Any advice here, where to get tickets cheaper and how to handle her her from here?

Now I have to start looking to maid too, think most likely will get indo.

Hi doralol

Thanks for the reminder!

What is the same? Like dates and incidents is it?

I don't think I can ever get over the fact that she tried to use my laptop, restarted several times over several weeks to try to get through my password.

My husband had never bothered to use password on his laptop . He couldn't care less and would be none the wiser if anyone looked at his stuff. She would never have been caught, if she continued using his laptop from the day she came to my house in last Oct.

But....then her head got big, thought that she can do whatever she wants and so clever to get away with anything. Itchy for a challenge, she had to try my laptop which is password protected and then got caught by me.

I bought her ticket at jetstar this afternoon, good riddence to bad rubbish in a a few weeks!

With cases of maids felling off from windows..and recent case putting menses blood into beverage..is it still safe to employ maid

I have employed Filipino, Indo, Myanmar maids. The best way to look at Myanmar maids is they speak better English than Indo maids and are less cunning than Filipino maids.The maid agency you choose is important too. My current Myanmar maid's agency specialiaze in Myanmar maid and provide the proper counselling for maids to understanding singaporean expectation. U can call Joyce Tan @ 84982625.

Hi,

Can anyone advise how I should go about bringing my maid to Myanmar Embassy to pay income tax?

Was told by my agency that we need to make appointment first but it's mission impossible to get thru the hotline. Tried booking online but once I clicked the icon to book, it says all appointment dates are booked...try again another day???

Should I just bring her down early in the morning to queue? Was afraid they may turn us away...hate to waste my leave for this...

Would greatly appreciate any kind advices.

Thanks.

Hi cheryl n onsangsg,
I was on this thread when I 1st getting my maid. So the 2nd maid has left in May, she applying for s pass (she is a graduate). I heard alot of myanmar graduate came here work as maid and at the same time looking for s pass jobs, once they think they can apply for it, they will quit on you. She not bad, at least she gave me time to get a new one. But bad luck since then, 2 maid I chosen from a agency didnt pass the medical, so I went to another agency get a transfer out of desperate, instead she was a disaster, she no good with children, the moment she start drama on illness,(should seen the doc's face when he examine her) I took leave and sent her back to agent next day. and since then I have no maid till now (going to 1 month). Quite tiring for me to work and housework and childcare. Now still awaiting for the new one. This agency really slow in getting new maid. Dunno its bad luck continue on maid issue for me or lousy agency.
Whatever, I quite enjoy days without maid. although I am tiring.
Hope things will be smooth by end of July.

Ladies, i do not know if this will help.

What i do now is paste a paper near where she sleeps. This paper cannot be taken down. When she makes mistake, i will write it down on the paper. Previously when i correct her, she will always forget or not correct. So i figure out must be thinking i am joking or no big deal or no effort to remember. BBtw, still same maid. I told her, your bonus is based on your performance during your contract, to pay out upon contract ending. Previously, verbal correcting leaves no record.

So what happens was that she really improve a lot and became faster, to the point she has doubke the time my ex-maids have to rest. However moment paper comes down, same attitude starts again. Forget this, forget that, never do work properly, argue with me, slowly move around for the smallest things, or as chinese put it, "mo".it confirms what i have all along suspected, cannot be bothered to do work properly. During the period she improved, even my mil says she's intelligent when previously mil has been saying her iq low though i thought otherwise,so cannot perform. Oh yah, when paper came down, mil again says she's slow and iq low again, mil forget she said shes intelligient.So i am pasting a new piece of paper and this time, it will stay there.

If it will help with your maid.

The good thing about her, so far never steal, never beat my kids but her negligience did cost them to get hurt and she really wants to earn money. I have done everything i can to improve her work but so far only above method works.

Actually, current not very good. Previous Myanmar better though black face but do work well and easy to each. Current one is from mansi,
previous from kachin, suprabuman (dont know spell correctly) Previous from greatlink. Personally, greatlink maids seems better trained. Even mil says so. Mil been cursing and swearing (not at maid but complaining) since this maid came and initally even blamed us. most importantly, we all missed previous. She couldnt speak english but she could understand well not like current.
But some of greatlink staff not very nice. Other than that, actually greatlink contract is more to employers benefit but all my maids loan from there had been cleared.

anyone know how to transfer money to myanmar ? Western union dont have this services. I need to transfer money for my maid.

Hi Tinklestar! How've you been?

For money transfers, we were gonna TT as we didn't know other methods. When we enquired with the maid agency on banks in Myanmar, we then learnt that they do it for just a fee of SGD3, regardless of amount.

Maid was elated. But we only allowed her to try a small amount the first time round. It went well.

Subsequent transfers were ok too. So far so good.

And all we needed to do was just to transfer to agents DBS or chosen bank account. Quite expedient.

Back