Advice on Myanmar Maid

I'm new here but wld lik to share wif mummies my experience. Initially i try to get a maid fr United Channel. I waited quite long n was a little frustrated so i went to another agency which i dun wan to name it. dey r reali able to giv mi a maid fast but problem oso fast. i return her n went to another agency n same problem. in d end i went bk to United Channel. tis time i waited patiently. it took abt 1+ mth b4 d maid pp was ready, another 2-3 wks to complete everythin. den i took her hum. to my surprise, she's better. i reach a conclusion wif my hubby. dos who can get u maids fast not v gd. it means d gals r left there waiting, unlik dos at United channel whom i waited, its bcos dey need time to get new gals as their gals move fast. if dey move fast, it means d demand is there. y got demand? it means dey good, or at least better. lik wat most say, slow work produce good result. my maid is slow, but she oso can do. SG is a fast moving country but Myanmar not. juz lik hw we giv patience n chances to our bbs who r new to tis environment, we shld oso b patient wif the poor maids who r equally new. i'm tellin everyone tis bcos i realise many wil ask to chg their maid after <2 mth. its true we paying em but dey r here to help us wif our precious. shldnt we help em b4 dey can help us wif ease. trust me, everythin wil work out.

I also had my maid from united channel Hougang. She us finishing her contract in June and I m not renewing her . I believe they will change no matter how gd they are and it is better they go to new employer.
If you are interested , I can release her in mid may.
Only problem is how to break the news to her .

Hi MommyBaby

So sorry to hear that your maid is leaving just after collecting her passport.

Have you found a new one already ?

Just to let you know, in the end, I got NTUC Income to renew the WP for me as they come and collect the docs and deliver the docs, so its really convenient.

Can I ask, How does your myanmar maid send money back home? And second question, my myanmar maid tries to call home, but often the line is so difficult to call through. Like she has to try 10 times only to get through once. Is it the norm?

Hi Grace,

Do you mind telling us which are the agencies that gave you maids with problems? Thanks.
United Channel is not accredited with AEAS or Case, I'm a bit concerned about using them.

Hi JL (grandemummy),

Ya, the NTUC is not bad de. They will come n collect and done up the insurance renewal for you with little fee...

Actually I place a deposit at an agency liao since mid Jan but till now, I haven't got one cos her passport is still not ready.

We are thinking to do without the maid and try if we can cope. Cos both my kids will go cc and me and my hb working. The maid at home also no one to teach her or oversee. Haiz....will be cancelling the "reserved" one bah....but I can foresee i will be super duper busy... God bless....

cheers

Hi enxuan (enxuan),

My maid send money back basically monthly as she claimed that her brother need her salary to pay for his uni school fee...so I let her sent monthly also lor...

BUT....actually it's no point to send monthly cos the amount is so small. Anyway, she went to peninsular plaza there to sent. My maid say the admin fee is $3. I think they are many shops there do remittance.

Peninsular plaza is targeted at Myanmar ppl. There, you can send money, buy some of their hometown food and also if she need air ticket to go home visit also can go there buy. Ask the maid buy herself and she can get it at cheaper rates...this air ticket thing is my sis's maid say de....

And 2nd qns for the calls, actually depends....last time I tried to call few times b4 it can get thru. But 10 times is a bit too many la haha...maybe the reception or connection is not very good there.

As my maid calls her auntie mobile phone, thus mostly is within 2 or 3 times can get liao. There after, almost everytime 1x can get thru le.

Maybe the recept for the location that your maid is calling is not very good huh???

cheers

Hi Allison (mom_of_2_princes),

The agency that I place deposit is also United Channel.

That day I went in to so many agencies searching for Myanmar maids and one of the agencies told me to go United Channel cos she say the boss is also Myanmar and if there is any dispute can ask the boss to talk to the maid....

I dunno how good are the maids cos eventually I din take up any cos the passport is not here yet. Just wanna to tell you United Channel is quite popular for Myanmar maids but the salary is quite high also....

cheers

Hi Mummies,

I’m planning to hire a maid but than don kw where to start.
Can advise which agency you go to? Is it good?

Hi MommyBaby (mommybaby),

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm checking out with these 2 agencies: TM Global HR consultancy and Global Recruitment Centre. Will contact United Channel also for charges and bios.

Cheers,

Hi sbb (sbb),

are you looking for myanmar maid only? What is the priority of maid's duties and your criteria such as language abilities, any preference for experiences, and your budget? New and lower education level maid is generally lower cost (salary) than experienced ones or higher educated ones. Some agency fees is higher than others with maid's loan smaller amount/shorter period of repayments.

There are too many agencies out in Singapore. If you check from MOM website for FDW agencies, look out for those with demirit points &amp; those under survelliance or licensed revoked.

I have only used Homekeeper (Katong) - previously under Nations (Katong). I was referred to the agent working there upon my friend's recommendation that this agent's service is good. This was in Jan 2008 when I 1st time looked for Myanmar maid. Thank God it worked out fine for me since then.

Cheers,

Hi. Ineed to renew my helper's passport soon. Can I check how much is the renewal fee or new passport? $150 for 1 yr?can I Check who will bear the cost of the passport n taxes? Did u split it w helper or she pay everything or we pay everything? TIA

Hi ueno (ueno),

The pp renewal fee is $150. The pp is renewed for 3 yrs.

My maid paid the fee for the pp renewal as well as her own tax. I think it's reasonable for them to pay on their own cos it's her pp and the tax is to pay to her government.

Just like our income tax. you don ask your boss to pay for u right. and the pp is hers...of cos she pay for her own. we pay for our own pp also.

If you want to pay for her, I think you are taking the risk on your own.

Take mine for example, she renewal her pp and pay her tax. On the day she collected her pp, she told me she's not going to work for me anymore. So she got her 3 paid days off to get her pp renewed and now she's free to go but not to work for me. Lucky I din offer to pay her pp that day. If I did, I will end up giving her 3 off days, and even paid her pp but she's not continuing. It's your choice la. From what I know, nobody pay for their pp renewal, moreover it's their own pp wad......

cheers

Hi,

I came across this website/blog which has some interesting writings about some aspects of Myanmar Life, culture and customs. http://www.myanmar2day.com/category/myanmar-life/.

I like the one on the myanmar names, and my helper also said the same thing about not having any family name whatsoever.

Just to share so hopefully we may understand a bit better of our myanmar helpers.

Happy reading!

Hi ueno (ueno),

You are not obligated (there's no regulations) to pay for her pp renewal and income tax. It is something to be agreed between you and your helper.
I agreed to pay for my helper's pp renewal because I want to renew her to continue her service with me, else she said she wants to return home. However, she will have to pay for own tax.

So, it's up to your "negotiation" with your helper.

Cheers!

Hi mummies really need yr advice. Yesterday my maid told me she wants to call her home becos she is sad. I dial the number for her nvr get thru again I asked her whose number is dis she say it's her agent in Mynmmar she wants to go back she don't want stay Singapore she feel very loney. After calling my agent TM global they talked to her n say better change maid she wants to go back her country let her find the loan $ den she can go off..den she called her Aunty in yagon for help end up the Aunty say finish yr contract den I help u. Her loan finish on June. We are all ready to send her back today becos dis is 2nd she telling us she wants to go bk.1st time we tried talk to her she ok ok I stay again yst start her dramA so we told her u go find other employer pay yr own lodging fee etc at night she come n say she wants to stay she promise not to do dis again. Now she wking with me 4mths look after my 4mth old Boi so far work all good only dis problem. I told her write black n white to state she will finish her contract won't mention of going back work good and listen to us. On June she get her salary we will hold for her is she break her promises she hv the right to hold back her salary we jus make her scared so that next time she wint take us for granted if not every mth 1time she start her drama go back her country. its very difficult for me to get a new maid train all over again especially looking after my 4mth Boi so if anything goes wrong my maid will hv to bear all the cost. Does anyone here hv went thru dis kind of prob pls advice I'm confused to get new maid or to keep her

Hi Cheryl M (joybaby),

I think your maid is bit temperamental... how old is she? Is there anyone you can leave your 4mth old baby with in the day time?

Btw, are you working? Actually if you are working, very tough to get new maid n train de...unless got ppl help u train her in the day time. Somemore not very safe to leave a small baby with a maid actually, especially she's so temperamental...you never know what she will do if suddenly she feel "lost hope" in life...zzzzz very wei xian

By right, should change de...cos u dunno what's she thinking inside her heart....haiz....cannot leave ur boi with ur sister in law or wad??

She like that keep telling u she wanna go home also not very good leh....meaning she actually has no heart to work liao....den if u like yao qiu (wanted) her to do ur ways, later she's not happy how...ur boy is in her hands...danger la...maybe go source if got any new ones bah...

try to find those abt mid 20s n above. Best is the eldest n got many siblings to look after. Den u can physio her to tell her baby is like her siblings like that lor...haiz...maids always got this problem...

U must tahan till ur bb like 18mths den at least can put cc. Thou cc may not be a good choice but still, at least got more "eyes" to see lor...better den facing the maid alone...if maid good is the best...but scare the maid "act" in front of u de...haiz....

Maybe you can try ask if got relative that can help u see first lor.....

Well, all are just my suggestions....not all maids create problems also la...it's all on luck de... everything will be fine....time pass very fast n soon ur boy boy will be big liao hee... just the initial 1-2 yrs xin ku oni....jiayou...

Tks mommybaby. All the while her work no prob not so perfect but she does everything even when she clamis she wants to go bk her country. Wat the Agy saying is she is hm sick and as my maid mention in the afternoon she feels very lonely aft all the work n my Boi will be slping..which making her think of her family. I seldom talk stories to my maid which also makes quite boring for her I guess maybe she thinks she is incursere and no one to talk to bah...arggg see la we pay for maid we hv to entertain them. And also she is always at hm looking after my Boi only Sundays follow us to church other times we go out nvr bring her n my Boi out could dis be a reason ???? Boring mah...I really hv no one to look after all hv their commitments I stopped my wk to look after my daughter 2yrs back jus started work 2009 &amp; I wont gv up my job again siann..yst my maid apologie to me saying she is very naughty make us worry give alot of prob she promise not to do dis again my Hubby say she really scared dis time round after we told her she will be send bk to Agy n she will get other employer n won't knw hw the empolyer going to be and also her loan will increase she hv to pay Agy for lodging etc...but I told her strictly dun play yr trick after may u get yr salary loan finish n you want to go bk. She say no pls send all my salary to my mum she waiting for my money. O yes mommbaby she is 32yrs old with 2kids infact when she called her Aunty in myn for help her Aunty told her yr mum here no money took from me and why you wants to cm bk so she felt very bad. From all dis I think her prob is not me or my family it's her mind not settled here yet n she is too free in ther afternoons after housework so making her think so much.. Her housework n looking after my son n daughter all the while I hv no prob only at times she forgetful. I can trust her leave my son alone last time as I'm bk to wk 3days wk 2days off due to not enough manpower I went bk wk after my 3rd mth ML. So far after wk she will report to me wat time my son drink milk all the data she knw she forgetful so she write dwn in a book. Haizzz I really dun know wat goes wrong .. Hope she can be strong n change her mind I cross fingers I wont hv to face all dis again next mth.

Hi Cheryl M (joybaby),

I think your maid is home sick since she has 2 children back at home. Let her write or call home often, encourage her to be strong for her children and family after all that's her purpose of coming here to work - to help her family. Tell her to fix her goal (for the 2 years) and work towards it. Tell her time will pass very quickly, soon she will be able to go home after 2 years.

When your boi bigger to go out, bring her along too.

If you can find any "success stories" of myanmar maids who work here for their families, share it with her to encourage her.

Pray that your sincerity will help her overcome this period of homesickness.

Hi Allison, tks for yr message support. Did talk to u as per yr advice so hope she will be strong. Can see she looks quite boring looking after babies can be quite boring as a mothers we can find it fun n achievement by seeing our bb growing but it won't be same for maids it's only their duty bah. I told her not to think so much boring after housework jus see news paper in the store room. Yes I'm bringing her out today jus to make her feel happy look ard..weekdays will try to send her playground with my gal atleast she get some fresh air loh Bo pian bah hv to please them till they get used to it loh sigh sigh

Any idea on total cost for myanmar maid renewal?
my maid contract ends july, but she intends to go back for homeleave on april. is it advisable to do so? or maybe should i try to nego with her and ask her to go back in june instead?

Hi Cheryl M (joybaby),

You are welcome. I think ya, ur maid may be homesick since she got 2 kids somemore at home.

I mean if me, i will think why am I here to look after other ppl's kids while my kids are at home....lolz...

Maybe you can bring her out with u when u go out. Initially i also don like my maid following me out but after sometimes, it's quite okay as there is another helping hand around when u need. Sometimes when I need to buy things, she can also help to carry my baby also...got pros n cons la...cos it's always not very comfortable with a stranger sitting in the car with u while u are enjoying the family outing...but what to do...

Last time b4 my this maid, I got another one from Philippines. She's also have a baby back at her home town. Sometimes when i buy toys (those cheap ones la) for my daughter, I will also an extra piece and say keep and give to your baby when you go back. Of cos I'm not telling u to buy everytime but just to show that although she work here, you are also taking care of her and understand that she wanna go home also.

Sometimes got chance bring her out together also lor...but I dunno, to me, I forbid my maid to bring my kids to playground alone. Firstly, my 2 kids will run around n she cannot cope with 2 running at different directions.

secondly, I have seen too many maids' behaviour in the playground n I don like her to mix with them. There are many on their handphones and just goes on and on. Simply ignore the kids...or many group together to chat and leave the kids running around...my maid also told me she even saw other maid hitting the kid continuously in the playground. I believe no matter what, hitting is wrong. Anything, you can tell them off or scold them but not hit.

That's y I choose to bring her out together haha

cheers

Hi mummy_baby2008,

Renewing maid on employer's part is only for the insurance and work permit. It depends on you if you would like to increase little of her salary like $20 extra per month or wad. You can choose not to also as my sis also did not up her maid's salary upon her continuation.

On the maid's part, she need to:

1) pay her income tax (10%) of her salary for the number of months she work for you. Some maids report lower pay, thus the income tax is slightly lower

2) Passport renewal - $150

You can look at end of the thread of: Archive through January 27, 2011 -
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/5/5131010.html?1296117305

===============================

Items she need to bring along at that point of time is:

1) Letter from employer stating how long the maid has worked with us, her salary
2) Original Passport and Work Permit
3) Photocopy of Passport and Work Permit
4) 2 colour photos
5) Money for tax = 10% x monthly salary x no. of months worked
6) Passport fees = $150

Actually her contract ends in July, why u let her go back in April? Cheaper airfare???

I mean, you don't need her to help u bring kids to school? if she's on home leave den you also need to take leave to help take care of the kids right. June will be a better choice i guess haha...up to u la...actually it's up to your convenience and if u trust her.... you are not going to give her the salary till June when she's going back in April right? Cos agency did say wad happen if they go back liao but don return...you loose your money...

Anyway i think u need to apply permit for her to go for home leave right? cos that time when I cancel the WP i saw on the internet....

And if I'm not wrong, you also need to get her a return ticket and have her PP, insurance and WP done up b4 she can leave Singapore....

cheers

Hi mummy baby2008(mummy baby2008),

Cost is for work permit renewal and insurance. If you do on-line renewal yourself, no charges for work permit renewal, only you have to buy the insurance, pay for the premium, amtdepends on which insurance company.

If you go through agent, they will charge you a service fees (I think around $40-$60). NTUC maid insurance has one package which do both the insurance and work permit renewal. You can check their website for details.

Read through the requirements in MOM website for work permit renewal, like passport validity period(very important for overseas travelling) etc.
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/passes-visas/work-permit-fdw/cancelation-renewal/Pages/pass-renewal.aspx

When she goes back depend on your schedule that you can release/do without her for that 1 to 2 weeks.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks for the info, my maid told me that there's holiday over myanmar during april.(but i believe she wants to go back cause it's her birthday)
it's very very inconvenient for her to go back during april cause both my kids are schooling &amp; if i take leave during school days, i find it a waste that i can't fully utilize my leave. Actually i planned to hold on to her $$ if she goes back just in case she doesn't come back(she's quite fickle minded and have light ears) Can i get her to pay for her air ticket 1st then when she come back i reimburse to her cause she's a very money minded person i believe if ask her to pay &amp; she doesn't come back she sure feel the heartache. i cant afford to take the risk if she suddenly goes &amp; never come back.

Hi Allison,

Thanks for the info. i've emailed NTUC for quotation. TQ TQ

Hi mummy_baby2008,

I see it's her BD...no wonder she wan to go back in Apr. Have you agreed to let her go in April liao? Ya, and it's super inconvenience to let them go during schooling days lor...end up you are "covering" her duties haha...

Do you wan to try telling her that you are unable to take leave, your boss don allow... thus you can only allow her to go during June where your office is not so busy huh??

Eh I tell you, i think better don give her her pay till June since you mentioned that she got light ear. If she insist to go back in Apr, den you pay her until Apr. Although 2-3 months to us is not huge money but to them it seems like. It's also fair to get what you have work for.

Else later when she go back, she hear say on the pay if go new employer goes up, later she fly kite.... MIA how... you lugi on your insurance and WP also and not forgetting the trouble to get a new maid with the huge sum you have to come out initially...wah... better don give her till Jun...at least you got to keep ard $700 if she really fang fei ji...

But as for the air ticket, I think cannot ask her pay la...but i think u can try to ask her to come out half first and when she's back you will reimburse her the other half...just suggestion haha... or even better, ask her pay first cos she havent completed full 2 yrs actually, thus you will reimburse her when she's back to complete her 2 more months...

Actually if she don wan and you cant convince her to pay half first, den u no choice got to buy for her but i think you look out for signs - like she pack and took everything back.

My sis's maid that time went back for home leave, she din take everything, just some gifts and present and some clothings....cos she still wan to come back and work one...

Ya, I understand the drama when maid agreed to continue but suddenly turn back on her words....zzzzz.... Today is the 3rd day without my maid....I tell u, me and my husband are still hanging clothes outside at 1am every day.... I slept at avg 3am each day and everyone need to leave house at 7am to send kids to cc...haiyo... I dunno how long i can tahan in this situation..

U try go talk to ur maid if she can go in Jun lor...oh, another way....ask ur maid to go buy her air ticket at peninsular plaza, my sis maid said that Myanmar maid can get better rates there that time...now dunno la, but it's a way to make her pay first den u can pay her back half of the fee... if u buy the tickets and wan her to give u half of the money, will be tougher.....cos she feels the pinch to take out the money from her pocket first haha... dunno u understand wad I'm talking anot...
happy.gif

cheers

hi MommyBaby (mommybaby,

i haven agreed to letting her go in April, i'm still thinking of a great excuse to tell her so that she wun feel offended. For my maid, i told her that i will be holding her $1K if she goes back on homeleave and she agreed to it verbally last time when i told her. She have got super light ears lor, after knowing few maids from my son school, she told me she wan HP and few weeks later off day, no off day she dun wan extend, i was so angry i told her to go if she wan to, i can get new maid.After a week,she said sorry, she wan stay, i still stress on "NO OFF DAYS" she says ok, she still told me the maid who taught her this got sent back. The reason i decide to trust her 1 more time and give her a chance is she &amp; my kids very close, can see that she really love them(at least wun bully them). I understand wat u r talking about the air ticket thingy, my maid is a super niao person even $10 to buy calling card she oso feel e pinch, so i believe asking her to pay air tickets and her "income tax" most likely she will not fly kite.Hopefully i wun be making the wrong decision.

I can say it's really terror if the maid fly kite, i can truely understand ur feeling w/o maid &amp; having to do housework until late night cos i did experience it b4 to my previous filipino, she was damn emo &amp; keep telling me she wans to go back &amp; after 4 mths i finally gave up &amp; ask her to leave(without thinking of the consequences w/o maid)luckily i wasn't working at that time but.. just the housework,cooking and kids r going to kill me. r u going to get a new maid? hope u get 1 to help out soon. haha.. it's really tough and tiring

Hi mummy_baby2008,

YES....is super jialat...i got 2 kids somemore and i just change job and the hours is zzzz.... got many times almost not in time to pick kids...very tiring...I'm even thinking of giving up my job...haiz... but still...i feel the pinch haha...

Ya, actually somewhere in this forum some mummies says it's better to change after 2 yrs as it's good for them and us.. Now i can understand.

Actually i my previous maid also no off days and i don wan her hold HP. I told her she is free to use the phone line as mine is digital line, call in n out is free... but soon after she finish paying off her debts, she say she wan to send money every month. Initially we bring her down for 3-4 times but soon it's really very tedious to bring the whole family out just for her to send money...we still need to pay for the parking and petrol...den we let her go on her own. She will take about 3/4 of the day...so end up, thou no off day pay but still she gets to go out every month...

And worst of all, towards the end of her contract, she bought a hp from another maid where she got to know when she's renewing her PP...she din tell me...until her dad told her to go back, den she reveals that very wasteful as she had already paid her tax and got her pp renewed here and she also bought a hp. I keep quiet and ask her why. she say she's helping that maid as she got not enough money to pay pp renewal fee...it's bullshit lor. Who never bring enough money to go to the embassy knowing that they need to pay pp renewal and tax.

Den on one of these days, i heard the HP ringing..den i ask her when she bought the phone card as she just mentioned that she got the phone. She then say the previous owner of the phone sold the card together... It's really very irritating to hear her phone ringing during the day time... and also sms somemore when she's busying with the kids and housework... haiz...

Actually, frankly speaking..when they mix with other maids, they will like that...teach things that is not very healthy....that's why get new maid will sort of "reset" all this attitude problems accumulated over the 2 yrs but the hazard is to retrain everything to your needs for the family.

we are still thinking if we should get another one as there is actually not much things to do when both kids are in cc and both me and my hb working...the house also not so dirty when no one is there to mess it up...it's the preparation work that is needed and washing n cleaning of clothes n house...

For both parents working it's tough cos we are like doing 2 jobs... we also don trust leaving the maid at home alone...later bring man home den jialat...zzzz... or she went out when no one is around...haiz... with a maid around, I'm like having the 3rd kid...got to see here n there...make sure she don do the wrong things...lol... why can't mothers work at home... haiz.... how nice it could be if we can work from home and we can do housework and still got the subsidy for childcare... we are also human mah, not iron man...can work non stop....haiz... sad

eh...paiseh...dunno how come my posts always so long... think too many stories to tell haha... aka: long winded haha...

sorry har mummies hee...

cheers

Hi MommyBaby (mommybaby,

Actually u can try getting a part time maid if u think that by now u n hubby r getting used to the "daily routine" hee hee. i think getting a part time will be a good choice for u, so u only need to do those important chores.

Putting aside those hp and off days issue, afterall, my maid is great, she is very hardworking and takes great care of the kids, she even cook for me in e morning to tabao to work. dats the reason y i'm really willing to compromise. But, there's always a limit to everything, i told her dat this is e last chance i'm giving her, dun go n listen to other maids and come create trouble for us. Luckily my method works on her. haha, i should say maybe i've always been quite strict with her, i dun even allow her to go downstairs on her own without my permission.

Hi mummy_baby2008,

You mean those zhong dian helper? Those charge hourly? But these are just like one week once only... or really got those come daily to help huh? Thanks.

cheers

Hi mummy_baby2008,

Since you have not agreed to let her go in April, you just have to tell your maid that you can only let her go on home leave in June due to your work schedules blah blah...
To make her feel "less happy", perhaps you may want to let her go on 1 off day in April - her birthday month(w/o deduct 1 day's pay), or give her extra ang pow on her birthday and bring her out as a family to a birthday treat (in a Myanmar restaurant or some place/food she likes).
I brought my current helper to one of the myanmar restaurant in Peninsula Plaza for her 1st birthday "celebrated" in Spore. The 2nd year we bought her a birthday cake, gave her angpow and present. My current helper agreed to renew until this April without going for home leave, because she say April is latest time, must go back for good to get married. Waiting for my new helper to be in by Mar...Praying for no hiccups.

can understand what you going through...I doubt I can manage like you leh. My husband and I was like doing the laundry thing everynight at 11pm, after a long day at office/work, even at the time when I had only one boy without a helper. That's why we decided to hire a helper when I was expecting 2nd one. You should really once in while (once a month, 2months maybe), give yourself and husband a "me-time". You may want to consider getting a part-time cleaner to do house cleaning and ironing (once a week). Laundry reduce to alternate days instead of everyday? Else, take it easy on your self; lower your standards on the cleanliness of the house, close one eyes. Children happy, family happy...house dirty a bit never mind lah..

I have a friend who has this "policy" to hire/change a new helper every 2 years when contract expires, she would rather "suffer" the re-training period than to let her family/boys grown attached or too comfortable with the helper and vice versa.

those daily ones will be very expensive leh...Once a week ones - charging around $10/hour and minimum 4 hours, else they won't even consider because of the travelling time and cost. If your standard not so high...then once a week house cleaning and ironing can do..better than nothing mah.
I would be considering that alternative when my children are bigger and not hiring fdw anymore.
Err ... just sharing my thoughts only.=)

Thanks for sharing...ya...i'm quite fine with the house a bit dirty...it's my hb...he wanna to maintain it as it is now but i think it's going to make everyone tired... I guess maybe for now he wanna it to be keep clean like wad we have with maid...hopefully after few weeks he will loosen his ropes haha...

maybe will consider the weekly helper bah....but u see, if weekly is about $40-$50...1 month is like $200...do you all think getting a maid is more hua suan or still stick to helper har??... helpers no maid problem n no liabilities hor...hmmm...

my laundry will piled up if 1 week den wash once haha....cos go cc nid lots of thing...heee...i think if 1 week wash once will be about 4 tubs or 5 haha...alternate days maybe, like u suggested hee... Thanks thanks...

cheer

Hi Mommybaby(mommybaby),

Oh, i think the part timer don't do ironing...my mistake. I hate ironing..now I know recall why I get FDW instead of part-timer. Hahaha.

Since your children in cc, part-time helper will be better; maid - need to pay her salary, govt levy, food, utilities also higher with additional person staying in house, medical costs, maid issues etc. The disadv of part-time helper..can't have daily cleaning of house, and have to do own laundry and ironing. If you can do with that, i think part-timer is a better choice.

Ya, cannot let laundry pile up for 1 week lah...even if enough time to finish washing in 1 day, not enough space for drying (unless you have a dryer)...faintz... Must be alternate lah, with children ..much more laundry work.

Discuss with your DH on the alternatives lah, else mommy tired not happy, daddy also not happy, children not happy also. Sure can work out some happy solution as a family. Jia you!

Cheers,

Thanks for the great advice, i've decided to bring my maid out for dinner at peninsula on her bday, any idea which restaurant is better?

ya...think must adjust mentally haha... if it goes on in this way, we will sure be very unhappy cos too tired...

haha...laundry 1 week do once sure faint haha... n i cant imagine it...my whole house will be full of clothes n how long do we need to sort, fold n iron all...zzz haha...

Thanks for your encouragement!!

cheers

Hi mummy_baby2008(mummy_baby2008),

You are welcome.
Hehe, the one &amp; only time been to the myanmar restaurant is Inle Myanmar, you can check out their website for more info. They have 2 outlets: Peninsula Plaza and Marina Square.
Their food not really to my preference, a lot of spicy food =(, my helper likes spicy food tho'.

Cheers,

Hi
My Myanmar maid contract end in 1 June and I am not renewing her, intend to get part time maid and hope it goes well.
I am working and have 2 kids aged 5 and 7.

I feel that having a maid add more stress n frustration esp when they made mistake or serious mistake! Moreover I need to "take care" of them too ...
Also based on past experience I dare not renew as they turn ya ya and change their mind not to continue etc.
hopefully all work well for me!

Moreover they will ask for this and that. My prev maid ask for off day n hp after she came back from home leave. I did not agree and stop her contract 6 mths later I renewed her.
Now my Maid asks to keep long hair and who knows after 2 yrs what she wants !
Now I only worry how I break the news to her if she wants to continue working for me.

Hi Emma (babypooh),

Actually true leh, my sis maid's attitude is very good initially..but now, she like also change liao after working for 2yrs+. She like now can argue with my sis when my sis ask her to place things somewhere. And everytime when my sis they all go home, the maid will always come out from her room and her hair is in a mess with small eyes... She's sleeping when nobody is at home instead of cleaning the house.

bring kids to school din hold them and when time to fetch kids, she will go out earlier to go shopping first b4 going to school....

so i also dunno....i think it's like us, when we work with the company for few years liao, we turn "lao you tiao"...don care attitude comes out haha...

Haiz..so dunno it's a good thing to continue anot...maybe depend on cases..

cheers

Hi Emma (babypooh),

All the best to you and hope all goes well for you.

No worries so much, just say it matter-of-factly, contract for 2 years will end on xx-xx-yyyy, after that you not renewing as you taking care of children yourself blah blah blah.. Don't have to tell her anything more if you dun want to, since you are not like terminating the contract earlier.
Tell her you will buy tickets for her to go home to her family etc. If she wants to come back to Spore to work, maybe you can offer to let her have the Spore agent's number and let the agent knows.

I let my current helper keep long hair b'cos she can keep it neat and tidy, tied up during working. I also let her have hp after 1 year (when she has enough savings)but I told her to use only during her rest time/personal time after housechores are done. So far, she has been taking good care of my no.2 which is her "work" priority, so other things like housework, I kinda close one eyes and not so demanding lor.
As for the new helper, I will have to observe and see 1st, cannot be relaxed in the beginning lor..

Hi mummies,

I'm a SAHM with a 2 year old boy.. was 7 months pregnant with my girl when we decided to employ a myanmar maid.

My girl's EDD was the 7th March 2011.

Placed a deposit after picking a bio-data that looks perfect for our situation in November 2010.

Waited till our neck became long...

Finally in mid-Jan 2011, I received my first call to inform my maid would be arriving end of Jan 2011.

I was very anxious, at the same time happy that help is finally coming. I told myself I'll be patient because of the language barrier, did all my homework on what to prepare for my maid (Bought her new towels, bath foam, shampoo, daily necessities etc), came up with a time-table, prepared my husband that we'll treat her as our family.

I was finally able to pick her back on the 27th Jan 2011.

Must say she was really obedient, hard-working but very unexposed to many things. And she looked a tad too young.

Her BIO-data states that she's 27 years old, first born in the family, can cook, can do house work etc....... but we found out we were fooled.

She was only 19 years old. Very inexperience to many things in life.

I had to teach everything from scratch.

From toasting bread to cooking maggi mee to making milk for my son.

Most electronic dunno how to operate. Washing machine, vacuum cleaner, Iron, electric boiler..

I was still okie with it, since my son was in CC and I was still pregnant, I could easily spare time to train her.

But I soon feel that I had to play mother to another child in exchange for having my house clean.

On the 1st day of CNY, she had menstral cramp. So she spent quite alot of time sitting down/resting wherever we went during visitation. Then a relative asked me, does it mean every time of the month, it's her off day? Told myself nvm, I'll understand.

Also, I instructed her to inform me when she has menstral cramps so that I can give her cramp relieve medication.

2nd day of CNY, we knocked on my door with tears in her eyes, was running high fever.

Clinic bill amounted to $72sgd on public hols. Since she's sick, cannot go out and we had visitations to do, my hubby taught her how to cook her own maggi noodles and rice at home. So when she's hungry, can prepare something for herself to eat.

3rd day of CNY, my hubby who runs his own business, finally got an off day to spent with my son and I, decided to go hong bao river to spend the evening there. When I was about to feed my son his dinner, my maid called asking us to go home cos she's very scared.

I ask her what happen, she cannot say, just say she duno, she's very scared, can we go home now?

My husband was worried that she might have caused fire at home or something, since it was her first few times cooking at home alone.. so we kept back our son's dinner and rushed home.

When door open, my maid smiled, greeted us, and went back to the room.

We were like !?!?!?

Asked her what happen, she keep saying she dunno.. then keep smiling nervously at us. When my husband insisted she say something constructive, then she said, she dreamt of dead people. When probed further, she said she DREAMT that she was sleeping, she opened her eyes in her dream.. and saw her mother who passed away 2 years ago sitting on our chair, staring at her.. and told her wherever she go, her mother will follow..

So she got scared of being alone at home.. so she called us back to accompany her.

My husband was extremely pissed off because for this reason, not only was my son's dinner delayed, we havent had our dinner too... just because she's scared. And we really pia all the way home through the traffic jam on CTE.

All of us being Christians, we prayed for her.

But we also warned her that she cannot be scared of simple things like being alone at home. We will need her to take care of our son alone at home once in awhile when we run errands or what.. and that she's no longer a kid!

I tried to convince my husband it's probably her first time away from her family and country so we must try to be more understanding.

So this issue was resolved.

On the 9th day of CNY, I was making some phone calls when suddenly I saw her bent over the sink.

I rushed over to her and saw that she vomitted in my kitchen sink. I was shocked by the sight of her vomitus all over the sink that my whole family use to deal with food stuff.

I quickly helped her to the toilet and asked if she was okie.

Then, she started to clench her throat and struggled to breathe. Kept hitting her stomach.

I was already 36 weeks pregnant, feeling very big and heavy, could go into labour anytime.. thank God my son was at my in-laws place.. else alone with my son and her to handle, I'll breakdown at the scene...

I was very worried, dunno want to call ambulance anot.. cos she already recovered from the previous flu virus! How come suddenly vomit again!

And being pregnant + having young children at home, we quarentined her in the room, give her ample rest(3 days), medicine and peace.

She was struggling to breathe so badly I really thought she's got an asthma attack!

I asked her for her medication, she said she didn't bring it with her. It's in Myanmar...

Angry, I really was.... how could she pass her medical test???

So I quickly got changed after getting her to sit on a stool while she catch up on her breath.

When I came out, I found her lying on the floor and she spat saliva next to her.......

Aiyoo... I was so worried that she might lose breath and drop dead on the spot!!

Quickly, I led her to the clinic a few blocks away.

At the clinic, the doctor diagnosed her with gastric flu + hyperventilation.

It's a different virus from last week. And because she had a panic attack and she doesn't know how to control her breathing well, she began to hyperventilate.

I was told to continue counting for her the number of breaths she take in a minute. Later at home, make sure she slow down in her breathing.

And apparently, she's been having diahorrea for the past 2 days but she didn't dare to let me know.

I asked the doctor how on earth can she get another virus because no one at home is sick. And after the previous recovery, we never really go out.. cos everyone started work alrdy.

Then he said, personal hygiene. Like washing hands after you poop etc.. very important.

Upon hearing that.. I really felt like vomitting too.

I always made sure she wash her hands before she handle our food.. but maybe when it comes to her own food handling, she's not used to it.
sad.gif

Then, alot of things came onto my mind.

Just that same morning, I found her standing by the window, doing nothing. Got a shock cos at that time, she should be hand-washing our clothes. And I checked the night before, only approx. 2 bamboos of clothes to wash.

Then I looked over at my washing machine.

Full Blast (45 minutes) + full cap detergent program on the run. And the spinner had less than 10 pieces of clothes inside.

was very shocking cos my impression of her is she's very hardworking! How come my sudden early-morning spot-check will discover such things!

Then she said she's been using my washing machine every day for the past week..............

I was very very angry because I specifically taught her to use the washing machine only when she's got bedsheets/mattres protector to wash.. and the only program mode that I taught her was for heavy-duty one...

So in other words, for the past one week, she's been using heavy-duty program to wash a few pieces of clothes. Sigh.

I always tell her nicely, anything she don't know, must ask. I'll explain and guide her.. since I'm free at home. I can't be following her every step because I believe in personal space, I teach you what to do, you do, you don't know, you ask.

By doing it her own way just to impress me... is rather immature.. because at the end of the day, you do it wrongly, everything got to re-do again.

I showed her the floor cleaner, baby detergent, detergent, soap etc.. and I think she got confused.

So one fine morning, I woke up and found her washing our clothes with the floor cleaner. Mop the floor with our floor cleaner. Everything also use floor cleaner. I also wanna hyper-ventilate liao.....

Back to the clinic, my husband closed his shop just to rush back and give me a hand..

By now, he's fuming too... because by not telling us she's already unwell just because she's afraid we'll be angry, she's actually putting our family at risk.. of the virus spreading.

I myself got warded at KKH 2 months ago for gastric flu.. and my son is still very young, gastric flu can be very xing ku for him.

Not to mention, another medical bill of $32 and 3 days MC has been incurred on her 16th day of arrival.

We made the painful decision to send her back to the agency because of the many reasons.. and most importantly, she's too young to help us out.. My husband spent quite abit of time consoling me cos I'm quite an emotional person, I liked her and I believe I can teach her things, but there are alot of things which because she's not exposed enough, it's very hard to teach.

It's like I can teach her how to change my son's pampers. But I can't teach her how to play with my son since she doesnt have any exposure/experience handling kids before. There's just so much I can teach.

I cried on the way back home from the agency and I couldn't bear look her in the eye when I left after opening her medicine to instruct her when to eat what.

Thought of taking her back the whole night but coincidentally, my baby girl decided to come out of me the very next day....
happy.gif

Am currently doing my confinement w/o a maid but somehow, I feel much stress-free and relieved I don't have someone at the back of my mind to worry about. Worry if she's doing things the right way, worry if she's helping out properly etc.

On the whole, my impression for myanmar maid is still good... just that this maid of mine is too young for me to entrust her with taking good care of my family.

She was being honest to admit to us her real age..

but also because of that, it showed quite abit of selfishness.. we paid $3500, we expect a certain level of help rendered upon her arrival.

Just because her family's poor, she needed to come over Singapore to work, she asked the agent at Myanmar side to lie about her age and experience, in the end when she don't meet our basic expectations which she lied about, that makes it very unfair for us employers.

Well.. long story but that's my experience with my first burmese maid.

Hi Fiona(fionaaarenang),

Wow, what a dramatic (I hope it's not too traumatic) experience for you, family and maid! Thank God you are doing fine now (without a maid).

The local maid suppliers who under report maids' age is not an uncommon thing. I think only S'pore has the minimum age of 23 years, other countries is think 19 or 20 years old for domestic helper. They may have the good intention to help their own people to get employment, but did not consider the consequences of mismatch of needs and suitability...end up with negative experiences for both maid and employers.

Do not let this unfortunate experience bring you down/discouraged. Just like there are good employers like you around, there will also be good/suitable maid/helper around. It's all about finding one that match. Of course, the agency if professional and experience enough, should help to find a good or close match for both.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Hi Fiona(fionaaarenang),

Thanks for sharing your story, but from my experience, myanmar maid hygiene level is the worst!doesn't wash hand after sweeping, mopping, changing dog's newpaper &amp; for me, i actually stand in a corner &amp; peep at her if i see her walking away without washing her hands, i'll ask her to go to the toilet, pump handsoap on her palms &amp; ask her to RUB. They have the worst memory ever, got to push them over everything, remind something a million times,but after 6months things begin to pick up. Give them some time although i know its really fustrating, mine got everything on track only after a year.

Hi Fiona (fionaaarenang),

Thanks for sharing, thou it's long but it's an interesting post haha...

Glad that you are doing fine without the maid too and late CONGRATS on the arrival of your baby girl
happy.gif

Well, yes... to me, having a maid is really like taking care of another person on top of your own family.

When we go out, i will keep asking my hb if he thinks it's okay to leave her alone at home, this n that. Worry if she's eating anot or if she might run away or quietly go out to shop and lost her way as she's new in singapore... and when I'm at home trying to do some private things, it's always not very convenient to have someone there like "looking quietly" at you (maybe I just don feel very comfi to have another outsider around). And we also very concern on what we wore at home if she's around cos normally at home, we like to put on comfortable clothings but I can't do that and must take note that I'm wearing the inners when i walk out of my room....

Now without maid, thou it's tough, but we can have the home all to ourselves. Of cos, i cannot deny the credits that my maid really ease my life but maybe for the time being, we will still go without one
happy.gif
...oh it reminds me, I must go cancel n collect back my deposit with the agency, UC also, where they claim the new maid will be able to get her PP on 23 Jan 2011 when we visited them early Jan but till now...sitll no news... I better call them now to take back my $$ haha...

Thanks for sharing your story. it's really an interesting one haha...I'm going to get my hb to go read haha...

cheers

Hi Fiona(fionaaarenang),

Thanks for sharing your story, but from my experience, myanmar maid hygiene level is the worst!doesn't wash hand after sweeping, mopping, changing dog's newpaper &amp; for me, i actually stand in a corner &amp; peep at her if i see her walking away without washing her hands, i'll ask her to go to the toilet, pump handsoap on her palms &amp; ask her to RUB. They have the worst memory ever, got to push them over everything, remind something a million times,but after 6months things begin to pick up. Give them some time although i know its really fustrating, mine got everything on track only after a year.

Back