Advice on Music/Piano class for 4 year old please!

Hi sk123,

I'm looking for piano teacher for my 6yrs old. Do you know any good teacher for 1-to-1 session at My Inspiration? Thanks.

Hi CJ Mum
not sure if you have already enrolled your kid in the music sch.
I started my son at My inspiration music sch, 1-1 in sept this year. I find his teacher, Ms Rose, quite good and patient, considering how noti my ds can be at times.

Btw, I just realised that Yamaha Music does teach notes reading nowadays as compared to the past. My ds is learning to read notes on the music scale, both the F and G clef. The only difference is that Yamaha Music School teaches notes reading using DoReMi instead of CDE (the DoReMi method is used in some countries like France). But I believe the new syllabus is gearing the kids towards more on notes reading. Also, the kids have a mini concert at the end of the year. There will be both individual and group performances.

Yup that's true, they use solfege. Which i do have students not able to switch to CDE as common used. Solfege is used widely in Japan and France.

Yamaha uses both solfege and suzuki method. But not the original Suzuki method. JMC is a course they developed on their own.

They still do not focus much on notes reading till JXC. But JMC to JXC is a very hugh jump. A lot of students cannot cope and end up dropping out.

They have concert every now and then but is based in classrooms. The year end one are only for those chosen ones who played very well if i am not wrong.

My prof is an advisor there and teaches yamaha teachers how to teach in JMC classes but she doesn't use it when she teaches her students. She still uses the middle C method. Also using books like Lina Ng etc.

Hi pianojazzy,

Are you talking about the new package for JMC or the old JMC? From the recent Yamaha Music School newsletter, I read that there has been some changes to the teaching. Perhaps you might want to check it out again. My son is currently learning to play the Electrone while reading the notes, not only by listening. He can read the notes using both DoReMi and CDE.

Seriously, the more I look at Yamaha's curriculum, I don't think there's really much problem with CDE. In fact, the kids are doing notes reading in a fun way. As in all types of learning, perhaps, the Yamaha teaching doesn't suit your students, which explains why they left Yamaha Music School?

As for your prof who is an advisor for Yamaha, is it possible for you to share who she is? I find it rather disturbing that a Yamaha advisor is teaching the teachers something she herself doesn't advocate. It speaks a lot about her integrity as a professional. And for the middle C, care to explain how different is Yamaha teaching? Cos what I observed is my son is learning to play from middle C too.

Yes, it is a classroom based mini concert that my son will be performing in. Considering that he's been learning music for less than half a year, I'm think it as a good exposure to build confidence.

No offence to anybody but I find something very funny about the posts by firewood and princessy. All their posts have been promoting pianojazzy. Asides from talking about how good pianpojazzy's class is, they have post nothing else at all.

Just my observation.

Hi serenade,

I am not too sure about the new one but it is good that your son can read notes. That is the most important part as well as listening so if he can do both, no problem about that.
More importantly is he has mummy to help
happy.gif

I have a student still in JMC now also cannot read notes yet so i am not sure when is the change.

As for my prof, i have mentioned in another thread.

Cheers

Hi serenade, i realised that i have been commenting about your post when you posted about yamaha. I didn't mean that as in i am not picking on you. Please do not misunderstand. I just want to let everyone here know more about yamaha as you have your point as a parent and i have my view as a teacher.

Hi pianojazzy,

I have never thought of you as picking on me. But rather, as my kid is attending Yamaha Music School, I'm concerned about the pros and cons of the course. Not only that, a number of my friends' kids are also attending Yamaha Music School. Therefore, I would like to find out more about your comments and share with them too.

Further more, as I'm attending the lessons with my son, I have a good understanding on what is being taught in JMC currently. And since I noticed some discrepancies in your comments against what I know, it's naturally I would like to clarify them.

Hi pianojazzy,

When did your student start the JMC course? Does he use the Yamaha Music School Primary 1 Textbook and Workbook? Cos if he does, he should be able to do notes reading in DoReMi, especially if he watches the Primary DVD frequent enough.

For my son, he started JMC this July and is finishing the first term of JMC (July-Dec is considered as one term for JMC course). And right now, his music school has covered simple notes reading (Do - Sol) on the Staff and F-clef. And the kids were taught to look for Middle C from the very start of the lessons. Whenever doing his practices on keyboard, he'll look at the music notation/music sheet and play. (of course, he's doing very simple pieces) There are no DoReMi markings, just the notes. And when he's not using the keyboard, he would sing the tune in solfege as taught by the school.

Perhaps you can request your student to show you his Yamaha Music Textbook and Workbook.

Hi Serenade,
I do understand how you feel as a parent. Didn't mean to go into a war with you here.

As for Yamaha, all i want to say is that their teaching is good for listening not enough and being able to read notes is very important. Since your son can read, it is very good.

Currently i have 2 students with Yamaha. One in JMC and one in JXC. The others stopped due to different reasons.

The one in JXC, her mum is also learning under me but i encouraged the daughter to continue in JMC last 2 years (2005-2006) till she is more ready to start to me(because her mum learns music under me and can help her with notes). Her mum sit in with her in JMC and she told me that most of them cannot read notes. When they completed JMC this jun and progress to JXC, they have difficulties handling and many stopped lessons.
Her daughter only started with me this jun and i am teaching her from the most basic. She is progressing well under me but also having difficulties in JXC. Always need my help for both theory and practical so end up 2 lessons a week - one to help with yamaha work and one for our normal lessons in order not to slow down her progress. She told me herself she wants to stop JXC after this term as she mentioned that it is very slow. Her mum told me the teacher in JXC class says that what she can do is very limited in the class and recommend them to get another teacher outside to help.

Another one is in JMC, now on primary 3 books. I am also starting from most basic. You see, In JMC, they teaches them to sing the solfege and play, the emphasise on note reading in by solfege and didn't teach them how to count. Everything is done by listening - suzuki method. For all my students in yamaha, I always ask to take a look at there books and in fact for those who stopped, some will give me their books.

Why did JMC requires parents to sit in is because they need parents' help. They do teach notes but very brief so parents need to help. If not, then they will rely on listening. That's why i keep saying that the sight reading is not strong. But again, how many parents can be like yourself, most of them complained to me that they are very busy and have no time to coach them so end up listening is good but not sight reading. Sight reading is not only on reading notes but also to observe the counting and performance directions as well.

I am glad to know that your son can read and you are able to help. That is the whole point. But do emphasise on counting as well. Like for the pieces he heard and play already, he will know the rhythm. So maybe try to test by a simple piece which he has not heard of and played before. If he can play by reading the notes and observed the counting - ie semibreve he remember to hold it for 4 counts. Well done, you are on the right track!!

Hi pianojazzy,

As a mother, I think it is the parents' duty to help the kids learn, no matter where or what they send their kids to, especially young kids.

Btw, do you mean to imply if the kids have 1-1 lesson, they would not need parents' help on reading notes? Somehow I feel parental involvement will help the kid to learn better regardless if it's group or 1-1 teaching. There's still a limit to how much a young preschooler can abosrb and learn in 30-45 min lesson. they would still need constant parental guidance and supervision.

Another point I would to highlight is I do agree that there's a need for 1-1 lesson even though the child is taking Yamaha course (I'm not sure abt other music schools). As stressed before, the focus of JMC course is Music Appreciation, not learning to play the piano or sight reading. So if the parents want their kids to be able to play an instrument, it is still necessary to go for 1-1 lessons/other forms of formal training. I guess one needs to get their expectation right in the first place. If I understand Yamaha correctly, there's a piano course for 6 years old and above. And if that course still doesn't teach sight/note reading, then I would also think twice about enroling my kids for it.

And thanks for your comment. I'm just doing my share as a parent.

I'm really glad that rains has shared her experience with you in another thread and cleared the doubts some of us might have.

Yup, you are right. How i wish all the parents can think like you. There are a lot of parents who just throw their child to me without helping. But even in 1-1 lesson, with such a young age, parental involvement is very very important. But with the full attention from the teacher, parents will not need as much guidence and supervision. However parents involvement is still very much encouraged. There is one school in here, if the child does not practise, the teacher will reprimand the mum.
But you see, not all parents can be like you. I can say that you are just the minority who are more serious about learning music. Most of them just thinks that the teacher should do the job by teaching the children well and motivates them to practise. (Due to this, i am under so much stressed.) So most parents just throw their children to the teachers without monitoring them. Maybe initially yes, they are so on the ball and make them practise everyday, sit with them etc but as times goes by, they stopped (i am not implying that all parents are like that as this is what i observed since i started teaching)
And how many parents will actually read that JMC is just for music appreciation etc. Some expect them to come out can read and play well but it is always not the case so i have parents complaining to me.
Some will say they actually just want to let them try, have fun and learn music so went to yamaha. But when the child gets more serious, they realised that it takes 4 yrs to complete JMC and JXC so it is very long . By the time, the child might be 9 (which just starting grade 1)as she started JMC when she is 5. And most parents in SGP is very kiasu. I have a lot of cases that the parents insist that the child completes grade 8 before o'levels which is not easy as school work nowadays are so heavy. Moreover, music is always after academic. So it is absolutely true that one needs to get their expectation right in the first place. Yes, yamaha has a 1 to 1 for 6 yrs and above. That is definately the normal way.

Based on all these years of teaching and experience, this is what i see and would like to share. That is why, i always say start early, go for music appreciation classes first then start 1 to 1 at about 4 yr old. When the children is young, many will not think of so far but as i have experience dealing with parents and students, that's why i am giving my views here. To some, it might be disturbing but all my posts are based on real stories. Maybe a few years down the road, when some of the mummies come back to my post, they will understand what i mean. But it might be too late by then.

Like i say, i started from music school, have lots of friends teaching in music schools and even have friends opening up music schools that is why i post my views about it. I have more horrible stories about them but just didn't want to post it as it is not very wise to do so. Music line is very small here and we all know what is happening every now and then.
That's why i encourage pte 1 to 1, but i don't mean to come and learn from me as there are many teachers out there. But do get one with relevant qualifications and teaching experience.

Sorry, Had anyone explain what's suzuki method about. (I did a quick glance and don't seem to find it).
Anyone had comments on Mandeville at United Squares?

There are different teaching methods used here. Like kodaly is used in primary schools, using solfege and rhythm.
There are others like dalcroze and orff.
All except for suzuki emphasise on rhythm.
Do take note of the criticism and response part of suzuki in wikipedia and will understand what i meant in the previous post.
Cheers

hello mummies, just to share,

i started my gal (2+) on music class at seimpi a few mths back. she has progressed very well, knowing what are the notes values like crotchet minium & etc, recognising middle C,D,E notes on the 5 lines, find the respective notes on the keyboard, and learned music terms like p, f, staccato,etc ...
I think the activities they conducted in the class is generally quite interesting. Her friends in class are also progressing well.

hello mommies,

need help! any recommendations for a patient and experience piano teacher in the west/north/central? cos it's seems like all the good piano teachers stay in the east!
am in the process of looking for a piano teacher for my 4yr old

many thanks!

harriet

Dear ZMM

thanks, but sim ming sounds so far away, we stay in the west and I am wondering if there are any teachers around in the west/north region?

harriet

Hi,

I am looking for a piano tutor in the west/north region too. Same as harriet, we stay in the west too.

Hi Masshiro,
Can I have your contact as well, btw, may I noe where is the location? Tks

I have a friend who's teaching full time. She's staying at Bkt Batok. She goes to student's house to teach.
Pm me if you're interested. I'll give you her hp nbr.

Hi Flower,
My daughter's piano teacher travel to west too. You can pm me for her details. She can build rapprt very well with my girl which I am glad.

My girl started Yamaha from little notes at 3 yrs old. She's now K2, completed her YMC bk 4. She's at Bk 5 and is still enjoying her lessons at Yamaha and her class is great. Though is a group lesson and it's only an hour, we have the same teacher over the years and she knows the children very well.

We like the teacher and the system. At this stage, children know C D E.., middle C, fingering position, chores recognition, by ear harmony, notes reading, staff reading(Treble&Bass clef notes) and so forth.

In fact, these are required for Yamaha grade examination. I'm shocked to read about Yamaha students not able to read notes.

Do take a look at wikipedia about suzuki method (the limitations). They are taught to 'read' as do re mi till the later stage. Then they have to switch to CDE. As your girl is already in book5, she should have completed 2yrs already. Now, they will be starting theory (grade 1) book. A lot of the students will face problem then. But after 2 yr then the students can read notes, i find that it is too slow (which in other cases, we start notes on the very first lesson). Cos in the initial stage, they do listening first therefore they can't read notes.

I am glad to know that your child can read! As i have a no. of transferred students, after 2 yrs of JMC, they still can't read yet. My sis told me it actually depends on the teacher as well. She has sat in with her student for about one month to observe the teaching methods. She mentioned that this particular teacher is detail that she make sure her students curve their fingers properly. Which is also very important whereas from other JMC students, the teacher did not emphasis that. From another student, her teacher is very particular on note reading hence more or less, she can read notes. But high dropout rate from her class as most students in her class face difficulties. Other students, the teachers do not focus on that till later stage (after 2 years)

As i've mentioned that my prof is the advisor, she too, said that the main focus is not on note reading till the later stage. Which in my point of view, i find it too late. However, i am not saying they are not good. Because of the focus on aural skills in the beginning stage, students do benefit from it as well.

But well, students who started before 6 will develop great aural skills too
happy.gif
And i am sure those mummys in JMC classes can see that there are some students have difficulties on harmony and chords recognition parts. Well these are actually too difficult for the children as we only do them in grade 6-8 aural. Though training them young is good but not everyone can do it.

Hi,

Just to check. When your child learns piano, does he/she need to do theory practice as well? My daughter has been learning piano for more than 3mths and loves playing piano. But I realised that she tends to be a bit resist to theory practice because there're a lot of practices on writing notes (though she could recognise well). Is it normal??

Also, how long it usually takes for a beginner to move on to grade 1? What's the typical path for a child who learns piano (one to one session) before moving on to Grade 1? I hv no clue when my daugther asked me:p

Hi CJ Mum,

It is good to do practical and theory together so that they can relate to each other. Try to use more motivating books (like those with stickers and a lot of pictures and activities) to motivate your girl.

Normally for one to one lesson, it takes about 1.5 to 2 yrs to do grade one. It depends on individual, commitment and age. The younger the child, the time will be slightly longer.

The requirements to reach gr 1 are notes from low F to high G, note values of 1/4 to 4 (including dotted notes), pieces with majors of C, G, D and F etc

Hi pianojazzy

my 6 yr old son is currently learning piano in cristofori (grade 3) and also in JMC (Yamaha).he has been selected to go to the gifted program.

pls advise me what will the teacher teach in yamaha gifted program n what is their expectation etc.

i thought of transfer my son from cristofori to NAFA coz i would like my son to expose to a more challenging environment.you are the expert in this field,could you pls also advise me on this? a thousand thanks

You are welcome CJ mum
happy.gif

Hi Jocelyn, do switch to NAFA as i can see that your son is really talented. If you have no budget constrain, do cont with yamaha gifted programme as it is different from NAFA. They train the ears and improvisations.

hi pianojazzy

can you recommend some reasonable piano brands that i can consider buying from? really dun know how to choose ...

thanx

hi pianojazzy,

I have a girl who is turning 4 in August. Do you think I should send her to Cristofori MLM or can start her with 1 to 1 piano lesson? Thanks in advance.

Back