ADVICE ON HOTEL EQUATORIAL CAMERON

cpoon

I'm planing to go for a holiday trip with my husband and my girl (age 13) at Cameron Highland during the school holiday in Nov 2013. Plan to stay for 3D2N.

Therefore need some advice on the type of hotel room and nearby place of interest. especially the strawberry farm.

Have not yet decide to drive or take coach there.

TIA.

We brought our 9yo son to Cameron during the last June holidays. Equatorial hotel is at the top of the hill so there isn't much you can do. The hotel rooms are newly renovated. The breakfast is not fantastic but it serves decent prata and curry. There is a little eatery just 3mins from the hotel. The first shop that you see when walking out from the hotel. The food is fabulous and very cheap. But they closes at 5pm. We had our lunch at equatorial and it is so expensive. For eg:

Hotel Equatorial
Hor Fun RM22.00
Crispy chicken rice RM25.00
Chicken Burger RM22.00
Beef Burger RM24.00
Char Kway Teow RM23.00
Coffee RM8.00
Cappuccino RM10.00
Orange Juice RM8.00
Soft drinks RM9.00

Eatery outside hotel
Fried Kway Teow/Mee/Beehoon/EMee etc RM6.00
Various Hor Fun RM6.00
Various chop rice RM7.00 (these are one dish served with rice. Portion is great and yummy) ie. black pepper, Thai sauce, black sauce, satay sauce, mushroom sauce, signature sauce, chilli mayo sauce cooked with Chicken/Fish chop
Various juices RMRM1.80 to RM3.00

I'm drooling as I type the above.

As for the rest, these are my 2c worth:
Luckily we chose coach. Some roads up the hills leading to attractions like Boh Tea Plantation are extremely small and tight, allowing only one vehicle to pass at time. It takes a lot of experience and guts to drive the fence less roads, and the drivers had to give ways and take turns, looking and watching ahead of approaching vehicles. The bends are sharp so at each bend, our driver horns to alert others. I'm just thankful I didn't drive .. You may want to reconsider driving. Perhaps get some more advice from tripadvisors.com.

We took up 3 diff land packages, each costing approx RM45-60/package/pax(IIRC) .. S we spent quite abit on that but it's easy and relaxing to be driven around.

We had the driver drop us at the heart of the town for dinner after the tour ended. Taxi back to hotel was RM20. The steamboat is expensive and just passable. Nothing fantastic. We went back to hotel after dinner. Cameron highlands is a countryside so there isn't anything else to do at all. We brought board games and a small DVD player and stayed in the hotel self entertained. Oh yes you can forget about the swimming pool too.

We went to an organic farm and the corn was soooo sweet! It is delicious even when eaten raw. I regretted buying only 3 home.

All in all, it was a pretty decent trip. I wanted to introduce my son to farms and I had achieved that. The weather was cool and nice too, something we didn't have in sg.

HTH. Cheers

Hi makino 88,

Thank you so much for the advice. it's so detail and clear.

More advice needed.

1) Where did you book the coach and hotel from?

2) What time did you reach to the hotel? I understand that usually coach reach around 10am but the hotel can only be check-in at 3pm. So during this time, what did you do?

3) Which hotel room type did you choose? Is the bed very big?

4) Did you go to the strawberry farm? I wanted to visit the farm that allow us to pluck the strawberry as I understand that not every farm allow us to do that.

Sorry for asking so many questions.

TIA

I usually book my hotels from wotif.com, pyotravel.com, etc. this time round I was too busy at work and went for convenience, ie 5 star travel. Hubby paid for them so I'm not sure how much they cost (hotel & return coach). They do not have daily departure so you have to check their schedule.

We were lucky we managed to get early check-in .. So we went to have our lunch and before we finished the room was ready. Go ask at the recept. No harm trying. Another way is to join an afternoon land tour so by the time you reach the hotel your room will be ready.

We took the Deluxe Room. King bed if I remember correctly. 3 of us enjoyed snuggling together .. lol .. P/s: I don't like the shower gel and shampoo

Yes we went to the strawberry farm. 500g hand picked strawberries at RM30 if I am not wrong. The farm was quite huge. The strawberries nearest to the entrance were sparse and small. We went all the way in and secretly picked and eat quite abit on the spot hahaha. That visit was part of one land tour ...

Sorry wished I could provide you more concise answers but I've a bad memory and couldn't recall details.. :)

Hi Makino88,

Thank you very much for all the information.

Now I have idea on what to expect at that place.

Back