Advice on C-section healing

zao

Hi ladies,

Juz 1 2 check with those who have done c-section b4, how long does it takes for your wound to be completely healed? I had it 2 mths ago, still feel slight pain beside the belly button.

Hi mineralwater,

Mine took about 3-4mths to heal. Although the wound has healed but I can still feel the pain inside when menses came until about 1 year later.

I feel very lousy leh! My friend healed very fast. I think its depend on ind.

hi mineralwater, I went thru caesarean delivery too. Dun recall hving to wait so long leh, only dur e first wk-actually, I was still walking alot ard @home after discharge frm hosp, subsequently e 'pain' was very negligible(I even b/fed my girl at e hosp w/out any painful incidents - my girl was brawling n fidgeting as no milk yet) and took care of my bb single-handedly there after).
Bt do avoid seafood for at least 3 mths(actual : 100days)- applies to all who has juz gone thru childbirth in any mode of delivery.

hi mineralwater,

i delivered my gal thru c-section in june. it took two weeks to recover. so..so far so gd, i dont have any prob and my menses just came yest..surprisingly i didnt even have any cramps!! i used to have bad cramps, perspiring and backache before until i always have to take mc if my first day menses come during working day...i think it depends on indiv...if its worrying you, get your gynae's advice

hi ethan,

if u referring to after c-section, i was told to wait for 6mths then plan for 2nd baby..

hi ethan,

agree with rms, takes 6 months as instructed by my gynae, that's why i am counting down so that i can plan to have my 2nd.

hi mineralwater,
i've gone thru c-section 2.5 months ago too, started to walk around the hospital once they removed the tube of glucose on the 2nd day, a bit painful but it got better and i was discharged on the 3rd day. now i am feeling ok and had taken seafood which is supposed to be taboo for the first 100 days. Didn't have time to cook coz i went back to work and so had my meals outside which seafood is quite unavoidable.

Hi naughty,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Now the pain near the belly button is gone. I tink everything shd b ok. I was worried, cos I heard many horror stories about c-section. My massage lady was telling me that she has a client, her wound din heal even though her child is 9 mth old, and others toking about their wound spilt open...

Now, looking forward to doing some jogging to burn some fats, my gynae says k only jog after 3 mths, in oct, cos womb may collapse.

Hi rms and naughty,
Your gynaes advised you to wait for 6 mths? Mine and my friend's asked us to wait for 1 year leh...

Hi , i also had c section , and notice that my tummy have no feeling at all , its still numb , my gynae say its normal , will take 3 months to have " feeling " at tummy , anyone also like that ?

Hi White lady, I just had c-sect in June..initially tummy feels numb...when i touch my tummy no feeling...now 3.5 mths, tummy can feel liao...so dun worry too much...

I delivered on 10 AUg via emergency c-sction cos unable to push bb out.. even with epidural still pain... so had to go for c-section.

It was very painful for the first 3 days (burning pain when i walk) but after 2 weeks, the pain subsides and now at 1 month plus, it's almost painless...

anyone knows if we can exercise? wat must we avoid and for how long? pls advise... i heard of ppl's stitches burst, wound worsen etc.. so scary...

hi mrs chng
i had epidural c-sect in early july and it was relatively painless. only felt discomfort for the first 2 wks, couldn't walk straight.

i was told that for those who had c-sect, need to wear binder for 6 months and also cannot walk up and down stairs or do strenuous exercise for the first 6 months. so far, my gynae has yet to clear me for exercise too.

i was also told to avoid seafood for a few months cos the insides still healing.

I might have to do a scheduled C-section if my baby does not turn by the next appointment (I will be 37 weeks then). How if cannot walk up and down stairs - I live in a walk-up apartment (no lift) and will be taking care of baby on my own during ML.

Hi All,

I had emergency C-section in Jan. The pain might be caused by the contracting of the uterus rather than pain from wounds. Especially if u're breastfeeding. I'm still doing it till now.

Avoid carrying heavy things for at least 2mths.

I've asked my colleague, it'll still hurt from time to time. The numbness went off about 3mths
for me.

I read in the newspaper and heard from my colleague that need to wait for at least 1.5yrs for 2nd baby cos the body need to store back the nutrients lost during the pregnancy for the next baby. My colleague gynae told her that for the 2nd baby, will be smaller cos less than 1year.

Different people have different recovery rates. Another colleague's wound burst and suffered infection cos of her sensitive skin.

if in doubts, do check with ur gynae.

hi all,
I read article which mentioned as what Karen has said. It takes 1.5 yrs for our body to store back the nutrients...

Just to share, I had my C-section in Mar. On the 2nd day, I was asked to get off my bed to walk. My gynae was there and he saw me bending over(like having stomachache..)He told me that I would feel much better if i walk with my straight back and bend sideway to get off the bed.

I cannot remember how fast but by 3rd day, I am walking ard without any pain. Till now, I didn't experience any pain except when I get my 1st mense.

I do carry my baby ard and also walk up and down the stair... so, cuclainne, don't worry.

hi all,

I had a c-sect in June due to featus distress. my gynea told me that the womb takes only 1 week to heal. it's the external part that you have to take care to prevent infection. dun know how true it is. keep the wound dry all the time. better not to touch water or use powder near the wound.

anyway, after the c-sect, i was moving here and there from the 2nd day onwards. i even took care of my baby and breastfeed with a pillow and my baby on top of my tummy during confinement. i oso walk up and down the stairs after 1 week. my mom told me not to use strength from tummy, coz that will stress the tummy muscle. I think walking around helps to heal the wound faster, but dun overdo it. walk gently - means slow motion. haha ...

i was doing all the nappy washing from 2nd month onwards. i personally would not encourage carrying heavy things, not for the fear of womb collapse, but for my backache problem which started since 5-mth pregnant until now. do take care of your backbone. my aunt-in-law, whose husband is a general surgeon, has serious backache from pregnancy, said there is no cure to it.

i took fish, fish oil and vitamin c supplement everyday for 8 weeks. not sure if this helped. however, my in-laws told me not to take "sheng yu" too early, else the wound won't heal nicely. i didn't take anyway.

my wound healed nicely. maybe i should give credit to my gynea. i sometimes still have the pulling sensation near the wound. but my gynea said it's normal and it will be there forever.

and yes, the nurse told me to wait for 2 years before 2nd baby if i want to have a healthy baby!! this applies to all coz the uterus needs to recover and to replenish nutrients!

i didn't plan for c-sect, although i didn't think c-sect is anything scary. i will opt for normal delivery for the 2nd if circumstances permit.

anyway, c-sect or normal delivery, still need to take good care of yourself!!

healing depends on individuals... one thing to do is try and get off the bed by the second day. i was up by 2nd day and off pain meds and pretty much painless by then. by 4th day when i came home, i don't think anyone could tell i had a c-section becos i was so busy helping my nanny get all the bb stuff arranged that i forgot about lunch till 4pm!

however, you will still feel the aftereffects (NOT pain, just some mild discomfort) thru the weeks/months as the internal tissues/muscles heal. tho your external wound heals, you need time to heal the internal so that you don't get infection. don't exercise till doc says ok. don't do too much bending.. try and bend at the knees more than at the waist.

ONE VERY IMPT TIP: use an abdominal wrap right after surgery becos it helps in healing and pain management TREMENDOUSLY! my gynae/nurses wrapped it for me immediately after surgery.

rest well, eat well, drink plenty fluids and enjoy the bb!

hi Ladies

thanks for the feedback
happy.gif
really appreciate it very much coz i am worried

Anyone c-sec wound havent heal after almost a mth??
I dont mean entirely heal, but a least there shouldnt be any open wound already right??
I had my 2nd delivery about a mth ago..Now my c-sec wound still has raw open wound which my hb claims he can see flesh inside me plus blood & pus flowing out.. What should I do?? It's not the entire c-sec line, just 2 holes - the middle part & middle right side of the c-sec line..(hb describe the hole like it's been poke by skewer & when remove, can see a circle shape hole which seems quite deep)
sad.gif

Till now i dont dare to look at my own wound..Sounds so disgusting..So depressing..

Hi Bliss,

please go and see ur gynae on this before the wound develop infection. I heard that my colleague ever got infection cos her wound didn't heal properly.

When is ur appt? maybe can bring forward so it ease ur mind ;)

sometimes, wounds may not heal well cos we carry heavy things or maybe too much movement. (that's what I heard from others)

hi Bliss,

Ya, I think you better check with your gynae. normally external wound should heal within 1 to 2 weeks.

Anyone went for post natal massage after c-sect? anf how long did you wait??? i had my c-sect about 1.5 weeks ago. still wondering if i should go for massage cos my tummy is still there.

hi sassyger,

think u better wait till ur wound heal first then go for massage.

The tummy is still bloated cos of the 'expanded' uterus throughout the pregnancy. It takes u 9mths to 'build' this 'ballon' :p so be patient.

one sure way of getting it back to shape fast, BREASTFEEDING! I lost everything and was even 2kg lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight while I breastfeed the last 9mths.

My colleagues were amazed on how fast and how much weight i lost when I breastfed. The mothers who breastfed their babies in my office who lost weight pretty fast as compared to those who don't.

The longer the better... well, besides that it's beneficial for both baby and u =)

Hi Sassyger,
I had 3 massage sessions around 2 months after my 1st delivery in 04 before I went back work. For 2nd kid, I had 2 massage sessions 3 months in May this year.
The Malay massage knew about my Csec wounds and thus was quite careful when she did on my tummy area. Personally, it is a good relaxation session and helps to get rid of residue blood and air in me. Hope info helps.

Hi bliss,
I had an infection after my c-sect and there was this swell around the edge at one end of the stitches. Abt 3 weeks after the opt, my wound just opened up(abt 1" wide), the pus & blood were ozzing out. I went to my gynae immed and he told me that there is no need to re-stitch cos the open wound will heal by itself. Indeed the wound did heal after 1 week plus thou there were still some pus and blood flowing out during tat healing process.

If the tiny holes tat u mentioned doesnt close up, think it's best that u consult your gynae to find out wats the cause and reason? U can also get some antispectic cream to apply so as to prevent infection? It's very worrying if our wound doesnt heal properly hor?!

Hi Sassyger,
I started my post-natal massage abt 6 weeks after my c-sect. Infact I could have started after 4 weeks if nt for the infection..

Hi Karen,
Wow u managed to lose so much! I still gained 5kg thou i bf my bb for 8.5mths. Think i put on too much during my first pregnancy!

Karen,
I've tried to bring forward my appt but the best date they could give is this coming friday..So have to bear with it for few more days
sad.gif

Haiyo, even when im typing, my wound have the stinging feeling.. *Painful*
kao_cry.gif

Dunno how am I gonna survive this..
sad.gif

serrich,
Thats what happen to me too! Alamak..Think i also had also wound infection..There's swelling & out of a sudden it just 'burst' with pus & blood.. At 1st it's the middle part, den the right side, today, even the left side also..Started with swelling for days den burst out with pus & blood, now becomes another hole'..Each 'hole' about 1/2 to 1cm long.. So scared the whole thing give way den wound open up..It just happen last week, so im still trying to let them heal by themselves..
I wanted to go to my gynae but mine is govt hospital, wanna change to earlier appt abit difficult..Have arrange for this friday to see my gynae..Hopefully everything turns out fine..

Actually hor, come to think of it, it may be cuase by my itchy hand.. Cuz my stitches are those type which are suppose to dissolve by itself one..But last week, i saw something around my wound area which I thought it's a dirt (cuz it's a small back dot) or something so I wanted to 'pick' & throw..
Only to find out that it's connect to a white thread..I didnt realise that im pulling the stitch out of me! But when I use abit more strength to pull den I realise it is stuck to my wound & it's one of the stitches being pulled out.. Felt very uncomfortable with a thread hanging on my wound, I went to use a scissors to cut it..I thought the worst was over..Haiz, didnt know it's the beginning of my nightmare..
kao_sad2.gif

Bliss,

Oh no. As I was reading ur posting, I feel so scared. Now that it has happened, just hope that it'll recover. Cross my fingers for you.

I also had a c-section in late Feb, now shd have totally recovered though still can see the red line across my tummy. I was also told to walk around on the 2nd day. Which it hurts. Ya, like wat other moms said, it is due to the contracting of the womb.

As i breastfed my bb, I can feel the blood gush out and the pain comes. But aft a few days, it'll be much better. I wore the binder on the 3rd day and it really helps alot!

Just a question though. Regarding the article on waiting for 1.5yrs for a 2nd child. Is it to wait for 1.5yr to conceive again? or to wait for 1.5yr before you can deliver (naturally)?

smallsweetz,
For me, I had c-sec last year's oct & this year oct..Exactly 1year apart..This year, i had c-sec and gynae told me lucky we opt for c-sec at 37weeks cuz i havent really recover from previous c-sec & she almost got a shock when she was opearting on me cuz she saw my uterus lining (esp the wound from previous c-sec) is sooooo thin that it looks like it's going to rupture anytime.. Got 'warning' from my gynae that if i wanna conceive again, must wait for at least 3 years..

Anyway just to update on my c-sec wound, my hb check on my wound today & said that 1 of the 'hole' seems to have a white thread stuck on it..Not sure whether it's one of the stitches or just a thread which fell out from the bandage/gauze im using now..Tried pulling it out but it's so painful cuz it's stuck onto my flesh.. Dunno what to do with it..
By the way, I didnt breastfeed my baby leh.. Cuz I got high fever after discharge from hospital & couldnt even sit up or carry my baby..Lie in bed for about 2 weeks, by the time I got abit better there's no more breast milk supply liao..Dunno izzit becuz of the wound infection thats why I got the high fever leh
sad.gif

hi,
my malay massage lady gave me this tip for faster c-section healing:
Take Ikan Ha-ru-wan (i'm spelling phonetically, dunno if correct). According to her, this is a live small fish, 1 selling about $7-8 (quite ex), but good for fast c-section healing available at Chinatown or Yishun/Chompang markets need to eat at least 3 days (1 fish per day will do). steam with garlic or in soup.

anyone has tried this before?

Hi working mom,

I have not tried that.. hmm wonder if it works?

My gynae says cannot do massage and she also dun believe in it. But when I ask if can use tummy binder she says ok but cannot be too tight.

Also check with the massage lady, she says she will not massage my tummy since I dun feel confortable but she will bind my tummy (not too tight) for me...

Hi bliss
Me also realise yesterday and was very upset about the thread sticking out. I discover towards the extreme end of my wound there is a thread about 0.1cm sticking out, its a little red around that area when gently press pain.. how huh is it infection? the whole lenght except the end like that only
kao_scared.gif

Must inform gynae about it? I am so scared he will re-stitch for me leh how huh kindly advise me.. i just gave birth on 13Oct

esther mummy,
Are your stitches self dissolve type (like mine)? If infection, should have pus bah.. If not, you can leave the thread there & let gynae know during your next visit.. If really feel uncomfortable about it, call & inform gynae bah..
Dont think need to restitch..For me, I have 3 holes also dont need to restitch lei, gynae says once pus clear off, wound will heal itself.. If your no pus, dont need to worry, just dont be like me, keep touching & pulling it until it got infected
sad.gif

Dunno if anyone can advise how long will it take for the stitches to dissolve??

I just went to visit my gynae yesterday..She told me my wound got infection from dunno what skin bacteria.. I told her that I went to cut the 'extra' thread that was sticking out, she told me maybe the scissors i use isnt clean thats why wound got infected.. Luckily i didnt 'itchy hand' pull out a white thread which is now still on my wound..Gynae told me not to worry, it's alright.. She prescribe antibiotic & antiseptic for me..Hopefully will kill off the bacteria, den wound will heal faster..

Hi bliss

Thanks, mine is the self dissolve type like the fishing thread type.. Btw, how to see got pus or not how it look like? Mine was towards the extreme end, a little red and 0.2cm thread sticking out, sometimes will pain.

Haiz me only going back to see gynae on 22nov maybe will call and inform him.. My last check-up he prescribe a bottle of antiseptic to wash /clean everyday and cream to apply.

esther mummy,
For my case, it starts with swelling den one day the pus just suddenly burst out (like pimple except this is the bigger version).. Now I got a 1cm thread hanging around at the extreme left, gynae said thats just a small matter, told me not to worry cuz now main piority is to heal my open wounds..

Hi Working mum

I believe another name for the fish should be 'Ikan Tioman'.. its a fresh water fish. For me , I doubled-boiled it with herbs. Its supposed to help with wound healing...
happy.gif
Its strongly recommended by the nurses...

Hi all mummies,

I'm going for my c-section this fri and getting really nervous....

Can you advise me the procedures you have gone through? And is it better to get GA or just epidural....

I have actually opt for epidural but as the date draw nearer i got more scare, can't imagine the gynea cutting me while I'm lying there awake.....
sad.gif

Hi Bei Bei,

Actually I was like you very scared about cesarean, but actually not that bad. No need to be scared. I opt for GA since already going for operation, I did not want to go for epidural because of the possible side effect. I have friends who opt for epidural and said not sacry.. so you don't worry so much..

Hi Bei Bei

Not to worry about c-section nowadays very common le.. As for the procedure i opted for GA, well it all started like this :
Bf going in to OT, the nurse will shave you first, than change into a rope type w/o wearing anything, afterwhich u will be wheel into OT. Shortly, u will be given a jab for the drip, by a count of 3 u will fall asleep than about an hour you will be wake by Doc.. ask a few question to make sure u know what is happening. Shortly after back to your room. If baby is ok they will push to you to take alook. U will be very very tired and drowsy.. Cannot get down after about 7-8hrs later u will need to get down to pass urine otherwise u are not allow to go back. Remember to buy the binder from the hospital to ease your pain and better support. The pain will only off for me 6days maybe my pain thresold vey low ba..

Don't worry hor, end of the day you are receiving your precious in your arm. It will be the most happening moment when u cuddle him/her in your arms on friday
happy.gif

True loh sassyger, epi do have side effect.. my friend shiver until gynae have to give another jab (not epi to stop the shiver) so that he can stitch her back properly.

Do remember hor, cannot eat chicken, duck, egg for at least 14days for me i tahan until 21days cos i afraid of wound infection.. as for better healing my advise take fish essense every morning after breakfast. As c-section do you all know its 6layer that our gynae stitch.. btw which gynae and which hospital do both of you opt for ?

beary,
but isn't Ikan Tioman a frozen fish sold at supermkts? according to my malay massage lady, the fish should be sold live and only available at certain wetmarket.

nowadays, i tot all stitches should be self-dissolved type? i didn't have much problem with my first c-section (i.e. i think i went back to the gynae after 2x after the ops for a check up and change of bandage). that's about it. i had my massage done only 3-4 weeks after the ops, and even then the massage lady was extra careful around the wound ara.

i no hero - and my gynae didn't even ask me whether want epi or GA....just naturally went for the GA! i went into surgery beforet 2pm (but the anaethetic dose was not strong enuff cos i was kinda aware when they cut me, though it was not painful it was v uncomfortable and kinda weird) and was wheeled out 1/2 hr later (i could even wake up for a minute when they wheeled me out to ask how my bb was!). i then slept and didn't wake up till night time. they even sent me my bb in the middle of the night for my first breastfeeding...for the first day and partly into the 2nd day, the pain was kept bearable by the painkiller drip (tho make me mostly sleepy).

Ya what esther mummy said was exactly what I experienced. It wasn't scary at all.. my opt was in the afternoon 1.30pm, about 10-15 min later my hubby got to see our BB. about an hour later I woke up and can still ask the nurse where is my BB, Is my BB ok and where is my spectacles.

Working mom, I started my massage today almost the same as you on my third week. But I did not massage my tummy, only a little bit on upper tummy so as not to affect the wound and bind my tummy... But now 8 hours after the massage, i feel pain on some areas.

Back