Advice needed.. should baby go for malaysia citizenship or singapore citizenship?

kyliewendy

i am expecting my baby next year Jan 9th and this question is stuck in my mind ever since I got preggy..

my hubby is a Malaysian and he has his own company in Malaysia.. and he already told me that he is not really interested to come to Singapore to work (he has his own company in Malaysia, so why must he come here and compete with other foreigners)

as for me, it is because i want bb to get an education in sg and also of the baby bonus, applying a HDB here that is why i consider sg citizenship for bb. And also my mum say that as a woman we must have a backup plan for ourselves.. in case anything happen between my hubby and me, i still can return to SG and still got a place to stay...

About my hubby, he say Malaysia also have good quality school and since i had to go back and help out in his company, why must we let bb stay in sg? must as well let her stay in Malaysia with her mummy and daddy.. and he feels that we don't have to apply for HDB in SG cos we already have a place in Malaysia... and he don't intend to stay in SG at all...

some more my mom already not so strong to handle another kid.. she say not easy to see the four of us till adult, now still need to take care a new child? haha..

i m thinking of getting sg citizenship and Malaysia PR for bb.. any idea? what are the procedures must i go through?

many thanks to all !! Happy New Year in advance~!

Personally, I prefer if my baby is a Singaporean. Education here is more recognised. Your child may choose to work in Singapore because of the stronger currency (meaning more purchasing power in Malaysia). It will be easier for ur child to get a job here as a Singaporean. Travelling is convenient with a Singapore passport.

But if ur child is a boy, I would consider letting him be a Malaysian because I don't want him to waste 2 years serving NS. It's selfish for me to think that way but I'm not convinced that serving NS for 2 yrs is not a waste of time.

I am a singaporean married to a Malaysian hubby too. We stay in JB and he go to SG for work daily. We have a 2 year old boy who is Singaporean.We decided on letting baby becoming Singaporean because I prefer the education in Sg and the last time I checked Malaysia education system (normal chinese primary school), they have about like 8 subjects already in p1 (I can't remember much as that was few years ago). I was like "Oh my god" and I knew if my kid has to study in malaysia, I won't be able to help in homework as most of them are in Malay unless you are considering private english school but that won't be cheap.

Why do you need to put your baby in sg? My boy has been with me since birth and all i do is bringing him back to sg every month to stamp passport. Next year I will be bringing him for playgroup in Woodlands daily.

For a foreigner especially if you are not Malay, getting a PR in Malaysia is never easy. I had searched for information before I moved here, thinking of getting PR here too but realise there are many couldn't get it even 10 years of staying.

Hi, I'm also a singaporean married to a Malaysian hubby and just gave birth to my bb gal this June. We are currently staying in Ipoh.

My daughter was born in Malaysia and she has both Malaysia and Singapore citizenship. As long as your baby is born in Malaysia, and the father is a malaysian, automatic your baby will be given malaysian citizenship.

I applied for her Singapore citizenship online via ICA and once it's approved, we went back to singapore to get her certificate of citizenship. They can hold dual citizenship until they reach 21 years old.

I have another question, if a baby is born in Singapore, parents both Malaysian and SInga PR, the baby can b a singaporean,but, can the parents apply for malaysia citizenship for the baby, so that the child hold dual citizenship until 21?

Thanks to all mom~ BB already pop out and she is a singaporean by birth..
Karra, u mention that the child is able to hold dual citizenship? so will she be eligible for the baby bonus thing? and i m thinking of getting malaysian PR passport for bb, cos travelling all the way from KL to singapore to stamp the passport quite troublesome.. unless she is like me, apply for social visa.. but i dunno is she applicable.

but better if she can be a PR in malaysia lo.. Ya, u all are right.. very hard to get PR if i m not Malay..

Hi Wendy

Yes, my bb is eligible for baby bonus and receives the same benefits as any Singapore born babies. U can try applying for msian citizenship for your bb, she's a girl rite?? Then u don't have to worry about NS. Coz if the father is msian, they will grant his daughter citizenship n she will have her own passport, easier when traveling.

Hi Karra~! thanks for ur reply!
baby is a girl, and i thought of applying malaysian PR for her if she cannot hold dual citizenship.. but dunno how long it will take to apply a passport for her cos she need to be in KL for her full month celebration.. where i can apply her passport?

Err... u meant her singapore passport? just apply at ica and it will be ready in less than 1 week (i think)
But then your bb will be on 30 days tourist visa when she comes back to KL, so u have to quickly apply for her msia citizenship in order for her to live in msia.

Karra,

I am in the same situation as you.
However, if i choose to give birth in SG, have the bb register under Malaysia citizenship and then applied for SG citizenship, will this be possible?

Or is it if i give birth in SG, bb will automatically become SG citizen?

Due to certain reason, my bb has to be a Malaysian. However, i will prefer to give birth in Singapore.

If he can hold dual citizenship, this will be best solution for me. Hehe

I remember if Singaporean married to Malaysian and give birth in SG. Birth cert will written this child is a Singapore citizen. Then Malaysia high com in SG will not let the child apply for Malaysian (or get the borang W).
If you want your child to have Malaysia citizenship, the child must not become SG citizen first. That means u need to give birth outside of SG.

Experience mummy kind to share is it true?

I am a Singaporean married to Malaysian hubby... Hubby had consider that SG education is better compare to Malaysia and in Malaysia there is not much career prospect therefore we intend to let our child be SG Citizen... Although my MIL wanted my child be Malaysian and SPR but we had our flat here, hubby career is here my family is here.

Hi Ying ying,
I have checked with Malaysia embassy and they have advise that I can choose to give birth in SG and proceed to embassy to register the birth of my child.
As the father is malaysian, citizenship will be grant to the child.
They also mention that Malaysia does not have dual citizenship. Xianz....
I was still hoping to let my child have dual citizenship till he reaches 21yr old. By then he can choose himself.

Any experience mummies out there who has a child with both malaysia and singapore citizenship?
Care to share on the procedures?
Thanks alot.

happy.gif

well, if not for the recognized education in SG, i really don't want to separate with hubby. some more in SG i have no place of my own.. everything is in KL already.. No choice lo.. since education is very important for bb, and when i m here, at least i can work.. not like in KL only under social visa.. but hubby ask me to return until bb is old enough for school then i will return, but i feel is like a waste of time shifting to and fro..

hi, my situation is similar... contemplating if we should take up SG citizenship or PR for our baby. She was born in US, so she is US citizen by birth. we do not intend to stay in the states for long, and will be returning to SG soon. But would not want baby to lose her US citizenship for the time being.

would like to ask for opinions and related experiences...

thanks in advance.

Hi mummies,

I'm a young mummy to be, SPR born in sg married to SPR born in Msia.
Will my bb be able to get hold of sg citizenship at birth?
Hubby is intending to change to sg citizen in ns this year.

Wendy,
Apply MACS for your girl. Multiple entries in a year. You only need to renew once a year.

KL does have good intl schools such as Cempaka but the fees are not cheap. Well, there are many Malaysians who send their kids fr kl, ipoh, penang etc to get education in Singapore. Something for you to think abt.

Malaysia PR definitely not easy to get. Even Sg Malays don't get it easily.

Hi! Jo (chua_jo),

When u ask Malaysia High Com, does the officer know u are Singaporean? I never heard that can register birth cert at Malaysia High Com in Sg. After gave birth in Sg hospital, hospital will give u a form that written the detail of the child birth like weight, height, full term or not, doctor name ... (filled in by hospital staff) , father n mother name (filled in by your husband). u bring this form to register birth cert either in hospital or ICA Sg. I don't think Malaysia High Com will help u to register birth cert based on the hospital form. u can check again with Malaysia High Com to confirm.

What I understand is if both parents are SPR, baby born in Sg, after got the birth cert in hospital or ICA Sg. The birth cert indicate "this child is not a Singapore citizen", so now the baby nationality is stateless. If one of the parent is Malaysian, then can bring 'this' Singapore birth cert to Malaysia High Com to register the child birth. What u get from Malaysia High Com is 'borang W' (W form) that acknowledge and registered the child in Malaysia Registration system that he/she is a Malaysian. And can apply Malaysia Passport for the child. After got the passport, then go to ICA Sg apply for any pass u want to apply.

But if one of the parent is Singapore citizen, baby born in Sg and birth cert written 'this child is a Singapore citizen' then Malaysia High Com will not help to register and issue 'borang W' to this child. This is what I heard from a mother of this case last year. If u really want dual citizenship for the child. U need to give birth in Malaysia, get the Malaysia birth cert first. Child of Singaporean that born outside of Sg still can get Singapore citizenship (go check ICA website). Then your child is dual citizenship till age 21. So not so direct and easy to get dual citizenship.

Hi Ying Ying,

If this is the case, that means if i want my child have dual citizenship, I can only choose to give bith in Malaysia?

Hi all mummies,

If one of the parents is a Singapore citizen and baby is borned in Singapore, does the birth certificate automatically reflect Singapore citizenship for the baby during registration? Can the other parent opt for malaysia citizenship during birth registration?

Hi Tots,

I went down to ICA and checked/. If bb is borned in Singapore and the mother is Singaporean, automatically, the citizenship will be singaporean. Unable to choose.

not sure if this applies for Singaporean daddies.

I asked if i can dont register bb birth cert in SG first but proceed to Malaysia Embassy to obtain the Borang W, but the first document malaysia embassy required is the birth cert. A certificate of live birth is not sufficient.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the information. This has been bugging me for so long as I have not been getting definite answers from govt website and friends.

But anyone know what are the perks of being Malaysian?

HI Guys!
SO HAPPY to see this POST !!!
I am a malaysian (Spore PR) too, married to a SG Hubby.
My EDD is next yr jan 2013.
I hope to get for my BB a MALAYSIAN as i intend to give birth near my plc (in JB), intending to go Century Medical near near pelangi. =D
After which, i will apply Sporean through ICA website. (i saw from this post, previous messages that i can have dual citizenship for my BB) REALLY? I am sooooo delighted! Pls do guide me along as i still have many queries on my mind..
Nice to see you guys ard =D

Hi Zoel

If you are a Malaysian and give birth in Msia, ur child will b automatically a msian. U can apply for spore citizenship via ICA website. The child can hold dual citizenship but has to decide which citizenship he/she wants to hold before their 21st birthday.

If you have any queries, pls feel free to ask me :)

Hi Karra!
Glad to see you back! =)
Thank you so much. Yea, i am malaysian. So i need to apply the msian citizenship for bb after giving birth rite at the private hospital? Or the hospital will automatically apply for mi after i gave birth? I noob in this area.. Then i will apply msian passport for the bb?
After which, i just need to register BB birth cert details online to the ICA website, and automatically can become singaporean since father is SG?

Hear from you again !! =D

Hi All,

If i let my bb b Singaporean first then mayb few years later I cancel Singapore citizenship and apply for Malaysian Citizenship, will there be any problem?

Will bb still be allow to enter Singapore?

passerby here...
err...i'm quite puzzled why would u all want your child to have a Malaysian citizenship.
There is no perks being a malaysian, especially if your race is chinese.
My hubby and I are Malaysians, then of coz my child is also Malaysian. She is born in SG.
How i wish my child can get a SG citizenship. oh well she just have to apply on her own when she's a working adult.

I have few malaysian relatives and friends where they are born and raised in SG, and they all DON'T wanna go back to MY coz they just can't get use to staying there. ALL of them eventually convert to SG citizenship.
Then i have a cousin where she went back to MY in her pre-teens coz parents moved back. She couldn't adjust to the government school and thus had to go to a private/international school. She eventually left MY to work overseas and no intention of going back MY. :p

so my advice is if u can get a SG citizenship for your child, pls GET IT.

Jo(chua_jo),
it is extremely difficult to get Malaysian citizenship, esspecially if your child is non-malay race.

my hubby (malaysian) insist i give birth in malaysia and get malaysian citizenship for my girl. if not i insist of returning to sg and give birth to her and let her be singaporean, i guess i will be lost not knowing what to do in malaysia. cos i dont have a PR, under social pass only so cannot work. transport wise is not so convenient, and criminal rates are so high.. must as well let my girl get singapore citizenship, in future at least she want to go oversea, or whatever, her certs can be recognized.

Hi EM,

I have no choice. My husband insist on getting the Malaysia citizenship for our baby. I dont want to give birth in Malaysia too. So i tot of giving birth in SG, get a SG citizenship first den if husband reli insist den give up Singapore citizenship and apply for Malaysian citizenship coz husband is Malaysian.
I seriously totally agree with Wendy.
I tried persuading my husband but he is as stubborn as an ox.

Oh well, its really hard to get malaysian citizenship for chinese .. Haiz.
Anyway, i do hope my bb cn choose after age 21 ;)

Hi Jo, well my bb is singaporean, cos i told my hubby all the pros and cons of the baby being a singaporean. can understand ur feeling of having an ox temper hubby =D.

for education, i told him, priority is given to malays more. this one i m sure as a malaysian, he will know.

medical benefits, any accident or emergency u wont be treated asap. my father in law was left at a corner in ipoh hospital after a severe accident and nobody attend to him until hours later.

criminal rates in malaysia is scary, i m sure he don't want to have his children or wife get kidnapped right? (this is what i told my hubby. haha)

maybe the reason why ur hubby want malaysian citizenship for the bb is all of u are residing in malaysia?

my hubby also like this, but after long and persistent 6 months later, he finally give in to coming to sg to work.

but it is really tough for me, from the day i warded in (need to induce me cos they say i got a slight high blood pressure, might have pre eclampsia. after warded in, cannot go already despite my blood pressure is normal. they tried to induce me for 4 days, bb still dont want to come out. so have to go for c-section. hubby only accompany me for a week starting from the day i warded in. then return to malaysia.

confinement all that in sg, then hubby only can managed to visit us once every month.. had a tough time cos i got post natal depression. and feeling like a single mom.

sigh, really is a challenge lo.. but for my bb sake is worth it, cos i m going to stay in sg for long term.

Hi Wendy,

I explain all to my OX Husband.
All he said was: It all depends!!!
Reli make my blood boil. We are not staying in Malaysia. The main reason is my Father-in-law insisted his grandchild to be a Malaysian. I got so pissed off and i told hubby that I will decide myself.
I even told him that i want to save baby cord blood in SG, do my confinement in SG.
I said i need a familar environment to recuperate after giving birth. I even told him we can pay the medical bills in SG by CPF. But all i got from him was: A BIG SMILE!!!! And then he said: we will choose a good hospital in Malaysia for you.
I stay in SG. Hubby works in SG. Where will one want to go Malaysia give birth right? Somemore if i choose to give birth in Malaysia, i have to prepare and go back earlier than my EDD. I told him it will be so inconvenience. And again all i got was: SILENCE!!!
Reli pissed.

HI Jo,
if it was me, i will run back to SG liao.. haha~!
but seriously la, ur hubby working here already, i assume u have an apartment here right?

for me that time hubby working in malaysia, apartment in malaysia, but i still insist coming to sg.

cos i got one ba bing, his mother wont be around to do confinement for me.. hehehe~~~~ so i grabbed the chance and bring my mom out.

cos confinement lady in malaysia is very exp, if he gets one i think for that month he dont need to eat already.

ur hubby really smart, smile as an answer. =D

Hi Zoel

After u gave birth, the hospital will give u a form to fill up the name of the baby, parents' name etc then u or yr hubby has to go to immigration to register the birth of your baby. After a week or so, u can collect the birth cert and the mykid card.

To apply for the msia passport, bring along yr baby passport photo and birth cert and there's a form to fill up which u can get from the immigration dept.

As for the Spore citizenship, u can apply online via ICA but you must send certified true copies of your marriage cert, bb birth cert for verification. But since u stay in JB, i think it's easier for u to go down to ICA and apply for it.

Hi Karra, =)
Oh, so u mean direct go down ICA after getting passport for BB as malaysian,then using msia passport bring him go in SG and head down ICA? Ok! Got it!! Thanks Karra. =)

Hi mtb,

Just to clarify, even a newborn bb need a passport to travel between Spore and Msia? What happen if the bb is borned in Singapore and a Singaporean citizen, and we need to go back Msia for confinement? In the interim, i have to go ICA to apply for passport in order for bb to travel to Msia?

hi Tots,
yes, newborn also need passport. when my bb 1 week old, we also apply passport for her.
but photograph is better u ask ur hubby bring her to ICA to take the photo. i had one taken myself (left photo) showing her eye open but they reject my photo but accept the one taken at ICA (right photo) eyes closed mouth open....

but it will take about a week for them to process the passport, u must let them know it's urgent or what. then they will treat it as special case and maybe u might have to pay a little extra.

hope it helps

7128232.jpg

hi Jo (Chua),
u planning msia to give birth too ? =)
Yea, i chose Century Medical Centre at Omega centre there, the stretch. Just at the back rows of building behind HOTEL PARAGON ! Very near pelangi de.
You are living near ? ^^

Hi Jo,
I only done research near my plc de.. and i only decided on Mr Chu in Century Medical since its just a few steps away from my hse.. =I
Sry ya, at Johor jaya de, i not very sure de le.
=)

Karra,
I think ah, i will apply online in ICA website.. cos i wry i might not get dual cutizenhsip if go down direct.. ;)
Thanks for your concern too. hehe. Jiayou to everyone out here!

if you deliver in msia and then register the baby for msia citizenship first, then u apply online for the passport and citizenship via ICA website, wont they check that the baby already malaysian and that malaysian doesnt allow dual citizenship??

I'm planning to get malaysian citizen too for my baby boy due to NS. but now i'm expecting baby girl and for her, i dont really mind getting singapore citizenship. But my concern is for my next child in case it's a boy.

Is it allowed to let one child be sg citizen and another child malaysian?

Hi Wendy, which citizenship that will ask that? Singapore? will there be any prob if i say the baby is malaysian if it's a baby boy?

hi eeneyminey,
my baby girl apply for singaporean, but she didnt go apply malaysian citizenship first. Father is malaysian.

and she ask did the baby apply for malaysia citizenship when she knows my hubby is malaysian. still need to sign a paper to declare that she is not a citizen of other country also.

It seems like pretty risky if i apply malaysian citizenship first for the baby and then applying sg citizenship.

But did u go to ICA directly and they asked u these? If we apply online, we dont need to go for interview and just need to come to collect the docs only right?

Back